Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad Episode 15: Granite State

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

lukin wrote: »
    The last few eps have really p***ed me off. It's no longer entertaining, it's just tragic at this stage. Andrea getting killed was the final straw. Jesse (one of the few characters with some kind of moral core) having to suffer so much is also hard to watch. The way Todd and his scumbag friends are being glorified is sickening. I'll watch the last ep but I'll look a lot more fondly on the seasons 1-4.

You should stick to CSI or some other generic dross where each episode ends with a slap on the back, and the bad guy being led away in cuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You should stick to CSI or some other generic dross where each episode ends with a slap on the back, and the bad guy being led away in cuffs.

If you had read my initial post you would have seen I said I wanted balance.
    I agree that it isn't realistic to have the bad guys getting caught at the end of every TV series/film but the continuing cruelty that the neo nazis are committing is just too much:
    • That kid at the train heist
    • Hank
    • Jesse
    • Andrea

Someone said that Jesse is a murderer too
    but when he killed Gayle he at least felt bad
    . The neo-nazis don't.

I agree that it isn't realistic to have the bad guys getting caught at the end of every TV series/film but the continuing cruelty that the neo nazis are committing is just too much:
    • Hank
    • Jesse
    • Andrea

. The neo-nazis don't.

They are bad guys, they do bad things...it's what they do!

Interesting you don't say the same about Walt, who has done just as much, if not probably far worse than the Nazis!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Hank
    • Jesse
    • Andrea

. The neo-nazis don't.

Because they're White Supremicists. They're the bad guys. Gus didn't feel bad when he killed Don Eladio and the other cartel members. Walt didn't feel bad when he organised the deaths of the 10 guys in prison. Mike didn't feel bad with the number of people he's killed.

Seriously, bar Todd the Nazis have only been in about 7 episodes so far. And they only have one more to go. They're essentially the baddies of this season, it makes the most sense that they are defeated in the final episode of the season. In order to be the bad guys, they have to do really bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    They are bad guys, they do bad things...it's what they do!

Interesting you don't say the same about Walt, who has done just as much, if not probably far worse than the Nazis!

Oh, I don't know if I'd say he'd done worse than the Nazis...don't forget that he got the Nazis to pull off the worst of it with the prison murders.

The show has been getting darker - ever since we realised that Walt would poison a child in order to manipulate Jesse, and we've seen what he's capable of. You should probably hold out and wait to view the entire series as a whole before saying it needs balance.

If you cut out the last ten to fifteen minutes off, say, any superhero film you might say it lacks balance as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Spoiler Alert:

The last episode "Felina" refers to the name of Walt's long lost Irish Aunt. Walt re-locates to Dublin to cook meth for Nidge, Franno & the lads, and not trusting the Irish Banking system opts to keep his $11m in the oil barrels.
    When later questioned by CAB, he says he won it on horses, and got a dig-out from friends - which apparently is enough of an excuse for the Irish authorities.

Fact!*

*may not be fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Walt breaks into Grey Matter, steals a load of supplies then takes down the Neo-Nazis camp with a chemical attack.

Jesse to kill Lydia.

Walt kills himself rather than being taken by the police.

The only way for him to patch things up with his family is if they get captured and he rescues them.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Walt breaks into Grey Matter, steals a load of supplies then takes down the Neo-Nazis camp with a chemical attack.

Jesse to kill Lydia.

Walt kills himself rather than being taken by the police.

The only way for him to patch things up with his family is if they get captured and he rescues them.

Do you think Walt has forgiven Jesse now? Or that he'll be sorry when he sees the state he's in? And will Jesse have forgiven Walt - reckon there'll be showdown there.

...unless he rescues Brock as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The more I think about it, the more unsure I am that the gun Walt obtains at the diner is solely for going after the Nazis. Walt knows how powerful they are, as they took down two DEA agents (who have shooting experience) with relative ease, without getting injured themselves. For Walt, who has no experience with a gun that size, to walk into a scenario against all those ruthless people. He won't have much luck, maybe taking down one or two before being killed himself.

I'm starting to think the gun is a precautionary measure, be it for the Nazis or the cops. If things go tits up, he'll have a bit of backup. I think his plan for taking down the Nazis will be much more clever and detailed, taking them outside of their own territory where they are more vulnerable. Possibly using the ricin on Todd as a starting point. Going in all guns a blazing won't be an effective solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Brock will be a key piece is the final chess game, methinks. He might even be the one to take down the great Heisenberg. You heard it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

if people havent seen this tribute to hank well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkFs90jJfOg

what an amazing show. i am genuinely so sad its nearly over. just below sopranos for me as best show ever.

Japandamo wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know if I'd say he'd done worse than the Nazis...don't forget that he got the Nazis to pull off the worst of it with the prison murders.

The guy who gives the order is just as guilty as the guy's who do the deed!

But yeah, it's debatable if he is worse, but certainly on par

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Dman001 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more unsure I am that the gun Walt obtains at the diner is solely for going after the Nazis. Walt knows how powerful they are, as they took down two DEA agents (who have shooting experience) with relative ease, without getting injured themselves. For Walt, who has no experience with a gun that size, to walk into a scenario against all those ruthless people. He won't have much luck, maybe taking down one or two before being killed himself.

I'm starting to think the gun is a precautionary measure, be it for the Nazis or the cops. If things go tits up, he'll have a bit of backup. I think his plan for taking down the Nazis will be much more clever and detailed, taking them outside of their own territory where they are more vulnerable. Possibly using the ricin on Todd as a starting point. Going in all guns a blazing won't be an effective solution.

This. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: no way Walt is going into the Nazi compound, M60 blazing. The gun is a red herring. The recoil would probably knock him over at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I can't see Jesse being killed in the final episode, I don't think they would but him through all that **** just to kill him in the end, it just wouldn't make sense to me there needs to be some redemption, and Jesse is the prime candidate considering his position.

I hope the ricin is for the co founders of grey matter, no one would have seen that coming before this weeks episode, It would make Walt probably the biggest badass psycho in TV history if he killed those two, it would also ram home just how bad he has broke over the course of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

This. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: no way Walt is going into the Nazi compound, M60 blazing. The gun is a red herring. The recoil would probably knock him over at this stage!

Yep, would be rather out of character. I'd imagine he'll try to get to them by smarter means, draw them out like he drew Gus out to the nursing home. Or somehow get something in to their compound as a means of poisoning them with the ricin, like Gus did to the Salamanca (I think?) family in Mexico with the poisoned drink. Todd is his safe gateway into the compound, all he has to do is manipulate him with some bull**** proposition. Walt may have no problem eating/drinking something with them to prove it's not poisoned, unlike Gus he doesn't have to throw up as soon as possible, he's going to die anyway!

Problem with this is that I haven't factored the M60 into things, I have no idea what that's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

unplayable wrote: »
    if people havent seen this tribute to hank well worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkFs90jJfOg

what an amazing show. i am genuinely so sad its nearly over. just below sopranos for me as best show ever.
    That's very good but seriously, is that the only piece of music these people know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm with whoever said the ricin is for the next/last batch of Blue. Complete the legacy.

As far as Walt is concerned, if he can't enjoy the success of the Blue Empire, no-one can.

This is going to lead to Lydia getting into the sh!t with her bosses, and possibly lead to her suicide/murder. Some figures may go after the Nazis in some big epic show-down while Walt watches this big demented puppet show he orchestrated.

Czech-mate.

Then the only 2 left standing are him and Jesse for one last confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Maybe he offers the gun to the Nazis - a trojan horse of sorts. Rigged to do something if fired. Of course, the Nazis could buy a truckload of those guns with all the money they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The best I can predict is the following, probably all wrong.

I don’t know what the M60 is for, maybe Walt kills some Nazi’s with it. Whatever happens, the Nazi’s and Todd will meet a sticky end, either at some cunning plan by Walt or by the European gangsters (possibly in an epilogue)

The Ricin is for the Blue Meth, and bringing down the Meth Empire Walt built.

Lydia will be murdered by the European gangsters due to the ricin in the meth, or kill herself (possibly in an epilogue).

Skylar to die somehow. Someone Walt cares about has to die I think.

Jessie to kill Walt and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

One thing I will say: There is no rule anywhere that says that anyone has to have some semblance of a happy ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Am I only only one that wants to see Walt to live? Yeah he is a dick, but so was Tony Montana! I know Montana died, but I always felt sad at the ending of that even though he was the epitome of a gangster.

Jesse I don't have any connection to anymore, and his redmption over Walt would suck for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Mousewar wrote: »
    That's very good but seriously, is that the only piece of music these people know?

here is another one from same person.

different music this time.

so well made!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1NuXkgTNAA&list=TLnrmMlwKO8Mq18M0d0mBFvrqDbfmB9gqX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm going to spoiler tag this just in case, even though it doesn't contain any spoilers as such. There is no actual detail from the finale, but it's the director of 'Granite State' discussing the evolution of the Walter/Heisenberg character and what it may develop into in the finale in general terms, specifically in relation to the final scene in Granite State.

From http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/breaking-bad-granite-state-writer/:
    I can tell you the way I saw it: The way I see it is that Heisenberg is gone. He keeps trying to kind of evoke the ghost of Heisenberg, the thrill of feeling powerful, and it’s not there. It’s gone. It died when Hank died. It’s just not there. It died when he saw baby Holly. And then in the end, what is happening in my mind, and obviously we’re leaving it up to the audience to some extent, in my mind, what’s happening is he’s becoming something new. And it’s not Walter White; It’s not Heisenberg; it’s something new. And that’s what I think Dave Porter picked up on when he had that great variation on the Breaking Bad theme at the end. Dave and I both agree he’s sort of, in this episode, he’s becoming what he’s going to become, and we’ll find out what that is in the next episode.
    I gave the end scene another re-watch. To me it looks like Gretchen's last few words that hit home for him, that sparks something and cause such "transformation", when she says that the Walter White that they knew and cared about was no longer alive. While what Gretchen and Elliott said about Walt having little to no input into Gray Matter did have an effect on him, it doesn't look like it was that specifically that sets him off. What does this mean? An attempt now to reclaim Walter's good natured character possibly? Obviously up for much debate, but this comment by Gould did make me look at the scene differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think we're in the third and final act of Walter White from Walter, to Heisenberg, to a master of both egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

One thing I will say: There is no rule anywhere that says that anyone has to have some semblance of a happy ending.

True and in Breaking ad I feel the vast majority of characters won't. However, as already said, there's no way Jesse would be put through so much just to get killed off. In my opinion if they were going to kill Jesse he would have died after he was dragged from under the car. I don't think his ending will be that happy, after all the guy has spent months being tortured and kept in a cage forced to cook and he'll blame himself for Andrea's death but he'll get semblence of a life back. Some people are saying he'll get a custody of Brock but that seems unlikely to me, especially since the police are most likely after him. I'm guessing he'll get a new life from the vaccum repair guy, go to Alaska like he was meant earlier in the season.

I also can see Flynn and Skyler getting an okay ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

To tie up all loose ends, it's going to be one very fast paced show. Right from the begining **** is gonna go down, I think we're going to be in for one hell of a final episode. Blink and you'll miss it sort of deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

If ANYTHING more happens to Jesse I WILL BE VERY ANGRY.... !

(Think I may be confusing him with Aaron Paul who is the NICEST man on this Planet at the min I think ......) Love him!:D:D

Just had a thought. Imagine if Vince G killed off Walter White in the first 15 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Just had a thought. Imagine if Vince G killed off Walter White in the first 15 minutes!

I had the terrible feeling that Walt shows up to his destination with the big gun, has one of those coughing fits then drops dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Could be interesting.

Someone would have to take over the narrative for him and become our new hero, probably Jesse.

Advertisement