Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

fergal.b wrote: »
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Well while the other boat varnish hardens, I'll leave you this track to listen to for the Bank Holiday Weekend - Enjoy !!

That is a bit like watching varnish dry :D;)

I'm a bit more :cool: :pac:

Ah heeerrreee leavvveee it ouuuu

Mind you - you can't beat a bit of Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

nice 1
    :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Last coat of varnish at last :D I'll leave this set for a week or two before I fine sand and polish.

20130804_174350_zps2e61cd38.jpg

When the buffing is done you should be able to see the tin a lot clearer.

20130804_171440_zps560c6b20.jpg

20130804_174201_zpsddbac843.jpg

I wasn't too keen on the red and white steering wheel so I treated the boat to a mahogany half wrap aluminium one that I think will suit her, I didn't budget for this so I had to sell my seagull outboard to pay for it :D

$(KGrHqN,!q0E88giHgFlBPl1RSYig!~~60_12.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I recall that I voted in favour of white caulking but I have to admit that she looks class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

how do you buff varnish? just seen this on adverts looking for a swap
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/32-foot-fibreglass-cruiser/3532440

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

davlacey wrote: »
    how do you buff varnish? just seen this on adverts looking for a swap
    http://www.adverts.ie/boats-accessories/32-foot-fibreglass-cruiser/3532440

I was looking at that today :D looks like a bit of a botch on the rear cabin :D

To buff the varnish I will sand it with 400 800 1000 1500 grit paper 2000 3000 grit soft disc pads then rubbing compound if needed and wax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

fergal.b wrote: »
    I was looking at that today :D looks like a bit of a botch on the rear cabin :D

To buff the varnish I will sand it with 400 800 1000 1500 grit paper 2000 3000 grit soft disc pads then rubbing compound if needed and wax.

I presume you mean Wet sand it,

Farecla g3 and a wet polishing sponge on an industrial polisher to get it back to shiny

Very nice job.

Bigus wrote: »
    I presume you mean Wet sand it,

Farecla g3 and a wet polishing sponge on an industrial polisher to get it back to shiny

Very nice job.

Yep wet sand I use a water spray bottle as I go same with the G3 "good stuff":)

Oooo look what the post man gave me today :D:D:D

20130813_195751_zps4be8a4aa.jpg

Along the top of the dash and the sides I'm going to make a crash pad using 1" copper pipe insulation cut in half and coated in vinyl to match the seats. This is what I ordered to make the bench seat with it's a bit bright :eek: I know but should match the bottom of the boat I might also sew on some white piping to match with the water line "not sure yet"

20151-1-lg.jpg

dont tell me you can sew aswell :D. is the bench seat plywood covered in material?

dont tell me you can sew aswell :D. is the bench seat plywood covered in material?

Well who else was going to make the clothes for my action man :D

Yep plywood base with 4" foam then soft padding and the vinyl over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

hi fergal just a quick question . can you tell me the best and cheapest place to buy boat fender and mooring rope as i have.nt got a clue where to go . i,m looking for 3 white fenders and white rope . how much rope would i need for docking shetland 570 boat . sorry for been so tick but i want to get it right the first time in stead of having to do it all again . your knowledge is priceless .

These marine shops should have what you need, I would go with 1 1/2 - 2 times the length of the boat for the bow and stern it also might depend on the locks you will be using and if you will be in tidal water.

http://www.marineparts.ie/

http://www.unionchandlery.ie/Location/Location/Navigation.html

thanks fergal will be heading down the shannon from loch eren in co fermanagh . next week i hope if the weather is good .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

You will also need lock transit cards for the canal,I'd be inclined to use old fenders and plenty of them for the locks as they are quite manky ;)

thanks a lot ..

For the seats I used 1/4 ply and a layer 1/4 mahogany the back has 2" foam and the seat has 4"

20130902_192834_zpse2ef7af6.jpg

I cut the foam a bit bigger than the board and then stapled it to the edge to give it a rounded shape.

20130902_192806_zpsa78097a6.jpg

The fabric was cut 3" bigger than the board and stapled on.

20130903_130858_zps598e02f2.jpg

The seat foam was too thick to staple a curve in so I cut it away bit by bit till I got it close enough.

20130903_154559_zps16f09c9b.jpg

20130903_172031_zps3e4b532f.jpg

The sides and prop shaft still have to be covered also the back of the seat will be a little bit higher when fixed in place. If all goes well I might take her down to Lough Ree on the 20th for a test run, mark out the waterline and fill the leaks :eek:

20130903_165056_zps79115c02.jpg

nice job. what seal is that on the prop with the hose coming out the top? and what leaks? would there be little pin holes in the fabric letting some in.

nice job. what seal is that on the prop with the hose coming out the top? and what leaks? would there be little pin holes in the fabric letting some in.

Sorry I must have hit edit.
    Thanks. The seal is a wax coiled wick around the shaft and the hose coming out is for pumping grease in to help seal it this is one of the places that could leak along with the rudder shaft,exhaust pipes, prop strut, guide fin and any other holes that I had to drill in the hull also pipes on the engine when under load :)

alright thought it was one of them new compression fit shaft seals.you have an inboard now so like most boats there will be water from coming from somewhere :p

What to do with a few bits of high density foam and a pack of girls tights :D

20130915_161614_zps5d29656b.jpg

I shaped the foam and cut some slits 3/4 of the way through to allow it to bend then I poked a hole down through the first section and passed a bit of rope down it and tide a large knot.

20130915_170323_zps4a4e7403.jpg

Then poked a hole in the toe of the tight passed the rope through and pull the tight down over the foam cut off the excess and sewed it up.
    3 new fenders that will confirm to the shape of the boat :D

20130915_180117_zps2f3bce6a.jpg

• Advertisement

hi fergal ..
    you are one smart man i have to say . . the boat looks great the add on,s look great where do you come up with these,s idea,s only god know,s . listen i have one for you . i have taken my shetland 570 out of the water and have steam cleaned the hull . know there is water stains still on the hull . i have been reading about using bleach the get the hull back to it,s original colour . the wax the hole boat down . now remember this boat is fiberglass is it ok the use bleach on the hull or would you recommend something else . any advice would be good . cheers fergal .

You can buy stuff called starbrite hull cleaner or boatbuddy also do a range, I would stay away from bleach some people use it and wash it off straight away with no problem but I don't like to take risks that can leave things looking worse than when I started :eek: you could also try water and vinegar mixed it might take a few goes but should work again give it a good rinse when your done. Rubbing compound should also work but you will need to buff it to get the shine back, if it's very bad use 2000 grit wet sandpaper first then the compound.
    Good luck.

cheers fergal . have you had the boat in the water yet . would like to see her with the fenders you made up . any photo,s ?

airsoftone wrote: »
    cheers fergal . have you had the boat in the water yet . would like to see her with the fenders you made up . any photo,s ?

I hope to give her a dip on friday at Lough Ree to mark out the waterline and plug any leaks :)

don,t forget to bring a camera with you and show us some photo,s of her in the water i,d say she looks cool and sexy . like bond . james that is ! look forward to seeing some photo,s .

Let's get ready to rumble. :D

20130919_161643_zps18c5cec4.jpg

20130919_161607_zpsc63614da.jpg

20130919_161547_zps1cca7bbe.jpg

20130919_161620_zps7c5ddf78.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That is one mean-lookin' machine :eek:

All I can say is WOW.

Best of luck with the launch, wish I could be there to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Nice. What's happening to the engine?

Nice. What's happening to the engine?

I'm leaving the hatch off for the test run so I can hear and see whats going on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

A certain hotel owner might swap the lot for her tomorrow when he sees it !!

Advertisement