Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It certainly does have a life of it's own and changes day to day, I would be happy not to varnish it just so I can feel the bear wood, nothing like the feel of very smooth wood :D
    For the caulking I was going to use black graphite power mixed with epoxy like I did with the sides but now I think I'll use sikaflex because when you sand it the wood won't get stained.
    Your pretty handy with the carving nice work. I did think of doing an inlay maybe something like this, I'll wait and see what it looks with the hardware on first.

plasdeck-custom-inlay-006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

I think you should have your own motif Fergal, the work you do is so rare and to such a high standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

fergal.b wrote: »
    I did think of doing an inlay maybe something like this, I'll wait and see what it looks with the hardware on first.

plasdeck-custom-inlay-006.jpg

Methinks that my choice of white deck inlay still might have a chance! ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Well thats the planking done except for the engine cover, I bookedmatched the kingplank so the grain will go around the fuel filler cap, I did the same on the bow for the cleat.
    I also bought some BLACK caulking :D and some stain to put on the sides and Kingplank :eek: I only get one shot at the staining and it's hard to know what it will look like till the varnish goes on, I did do some test pieces but some of the planks are coming out in different shades so only time will tell.

20130605_195816_zpsfc7ff982.jpg

Loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

sweeeeet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

This is a work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

This is fabulous ,
    Looks even better in reality

All taped up ready for caulking.

20130607_111807_zpsdc1dd562.jpg

6 tubes later and a cramped hand :D

20130607_144804_zps87605093.jpg

I let it set for a few hours and then removed the tape, it will be next week before it's set enough to sand so back to removing the fiberglass with a heatgun under a clear plastic roof on one of the hottest days of the year :mad: and then some beer :D

20130607_155836_zps6d62f8b8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As the French say, "Chapeau!"

• Advertisement

Back to the wood, the fiberglass was easy enough to remove but the resin that was left behind was a real pain to sand down but 50 sanding discs later it's done :) I hope I don't have to do this again so next time I'm going to go with 207 west system special hardener.

20130615_131737_zpse6fadf93.jpg

I'm also going to give peel ply a go on the transom first this will protect it from any dirt or dampness in the air and when removed should leave a smooth finish ready for varnish, if it works out I will do the whole boat with it if not I'll take it off and sand it back down :eek:

20130615_131208_zps69fbcf81.jpg

20130615_130707_zps82022a50.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

now that,s what i call a project . can,t wait to see the finished product keep me posted . already looks like it,s going to be a looker .

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

This looks cooler than a classic Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Terrific work - wish I had the patience for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

we will have to see the finished product when it,s finished be nice to see how she turns out . going to be a cracker .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

looking good. how did u get the bend on the side planks up to the bow im capping mine in the next few days. its a simular radius

davlacey wrote: »
    looking good. how did u get the bend on the side planks up to the bow im capping mine in the next few days. its a simular radius

The bow was easy enough as it's just one bend, the transom was a bit tricker as I had to bend, twist and cup :eek: to do this I soaked them in hot towels pouring boiling water over them every half hour and clamped them in a bit at a time over the day till they were happy to sit in place.

20130615_131208_zps69fbcf81.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

ill give that a go my little genny wont power a kettle so ill draw the radius on cardboard and try bend it at home first.

Make sure you have plenty of clamps :D Depending on how the boat was designed You might have to do spiling on each plank to get them to fit there is a bit of info on it here http://www.duck-trap.com/building.html and a few videos on youtube if you do a search.

Not too sure now :confused: but it's on now and on to stay :eek: I won't get to see what it truly looks like till the varnish is on, so fingers crossed :D

20130620_124704_zps78a4efa4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

it looks amazing Fergal ! class A work as usual

Looks very well Fergal, and really defines the grain.
    What stain are you using ?.
    Thanks

IreJohn wrote: »
    Looks very well Fergal, and really defines the grain.
    What stain are you using ?.
    Thanks

Because I will be coating it in epoxy I had to go with a water based wood dye so I went with Rustins Dark oak, I tried brown mahogany on a test piece but it just didn't bring it up enough I also would have like to try Ebony but I couldn't find any, probably just as well in the poll most people went against the black :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

fergal.b wrote: »
    Because I will be coating it in epoxy I had to go with a water based wood dye so I went with Rustins Dark oak, I tried brown mahogany on a test piece but it just didn't bring it up enough I also would have like to try Ebony but I couldn't find any, probably just as well in the poll most people went against the black :D

Well I think it's smashing, and on inspection today I can only say that when she is finished it will truly be a spectacular build.... I can still hear her singing :)

3 coats of epoxy and a bit of an idea how it will turn, I'm not happy how it's reacting with the caulking it doesn't seem to want to stick to it so I might have to sand it back down and remove it and try a different one, I should have done a test before hand but as it was sikaflex I thought it would be fine I'm also using 207 special hardener for the first time so that might also have something to do with it :mad: I'll see how it looks in the morning and try and come up with a plan, all in all I'm happy with the look of it except for the bloody flies that keep sticking to it :)

20130625_154010_zps610c4eb7.jpg

20130625_153957_zps8c488a8b.jpg

Looking excellent Fergal.

In the first image, the transom, is that regular marine ply or a veneer ?

Thanks

IreJohn wrote: »
    Looking excellent Fergal.

In the first image, the transom, is that regular marine ply or a veneer ?

Thanks

Thanks :) The transom is also mahogany planks over marine ply, You can see the full build in the link below "My crackerbox build"

It was the finish on the marine ply.
    I need to replace mahogany veneer ply as water damage has penetrated
    the veneer. I have a lot of timber to replace approx 6 8x4 sheets.
    Question; Could I use marine ply instead of the veneer and still get an
    acceptable finish ?

Thanks Fergal

Yep my other boat was built with just marine ply stained to look like mahogany :)

007-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks Fergal, thats great news, mahogany veneer was going to delay me.
    and thanks again, as always, for your help.

Advertisement