Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Championship 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Rightwing wrote: »
    Unfortunately you are right. We need the refs to front up and send people off. The ref the last day should be have been on the case after a few minutes. No point sending someone off for mickey mouse yellows.

I Agree,refs,need to be consistent,and if you ref team A a certain way,you must do the same with team B.If they dont,then teams and rightly so,will take the law in to their own hands,and it becomes a free for all.

It was inevitable ,more teams were going to be more physical and manly in hurling.
    The days of teams standing back are long gone.
    The same in football.Donegal mastered it last year,nothing wrong with it their cynical play,people thought.

Now there beaten by teams who adapted to their style,Mcguinness says their now the victims.He is having a laugh in fairness.

A superb team,but no angels to cynasim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Average winning margin in the Football Championship this year is 8.67pts, in the Hurling Championship it is 6.61pts.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Average winning margin in the Football Championship this year is 8.67pts, in the Hurling Championship it is 6.61pts.

Very high average for football. Hurling has been ultra competitive this year in the latter stages. The margins of each of the provincial finals offset the averages a bit and the weaker counties threw up a few scorelines suggesting one sided affairs

Very high average for football. Hurling has been ultra competitive this year in the latter stages. The margins of each of the provincial finals offset the averages a bit and the weaker counties threw up a few scorelines suggesting one sided affairs

Compared to last year, the football average winning margin was 6.12pts per game and the hurling was 9.69. Quite a large swing, with the hurling getting closer and the football getting more one-sided. 11 of the 26 games in the hurling so far in 2013 have been decided by 5pts or less (10 of 32 last year), and there's every chance the semi-finals and final may be close-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Originally Posted by realdanbreen
    An All Ireland final without a Traditional hurling county in it does'nt bear thinking about

This makes it more interesting
    Four teams left that weren't expected to be in this position
    I thinks It's great not to have the same teams involved at this stage

That post makes no sense whatsoever but the poster can't back
    up that comment at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mailburner wrote: »
    Originally Posted by realdanbreen
    An All Ireland final without a Traditional hurling county in it does'nt bear thinking about

This makes it more interesting
    Four teams left that weren't expected to be in this position
    I thinks It's great not to have the same teams involved at this stage

That post makes no sense whatsoever but the poster can't back
    up that comment at all

I hope he can't, think he got a ban. Anyway New blood is what's needed. First job is cork getting bet, after that I'd be happy enough with a new ai champion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

First job is cork getting bet, after that I'd be happy enough with a new ai champion

Pity you havent got over last weeks defeat yet. Never thought the sore graphes would still be evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I hope he can't, think he got a ban. Anyway New blood is what's needed. First job is cork getting bet, after that I'd be happy enough with a new ai champion

Lol, got banned on the gambling thread also...must be collecting them

I agree, Great to see in fairness
    Not too knowledgeable on hurling but dublin for me

I'd give anything and I mean anything for my
    county to win the footie (mayo)
    I've booked the week off work almost every time we've reached the final
    to go on the beer
    Breaks my heart like nothing else

Amprodude wrote: »
    Pity you havent got over last weeks defeat yet. Never thought the sore graphes would still be evident.

Get off your high horse, read my posts, I was happy to accept we lost to by far the better team. Once kk are out, i want a new team to win. If that notion bothers you, then that sounds like you have more if a hang up than me. I wished cork well iN the Munster final, all I've heard since is dog's abuse. If I'd realised how quick ye would be on your high horse about it I wouldn't have been so inclined to support ye. More importantly, I'm starting to doubt my previous opinion that hurling needs a strong cork; if a strong cork means listening to knee jerk codology, I hope ye get more Dublin manners put on ye.

Get off your high horse, read my posts, I was happy to accept we lost to by far the better team. Once kk are out, i want a new team to win. If that notion bothers you, then that sounds like you have more if a hang up than me. I wished cork well iN the Munster final, all I've heard since is dog's abuse. If I'd realised how quick ye would be on your high horse about it I wouldn't have been so inclined to support ye. More importantly, I'm starting to doubt my previous opinion that hurling needs a strong cork; if a strong cork means listening to knee jerk codology, I hope ye get more Dublin manners put on ye.

I'm on no high horse. You came on here sayin it was important that Cork get beaten and you were on about Barry Kelly influencing the game in Corks favour in previous posts and downplaying a impressive Cork win. Remember no one gave us any hope against Kilkenny. In fairness ,This Cork team has nothing won and bar 2 players on the team don't have any All Ireland medals. Cork hurling has being in big trouble for years and I think it would be a success story if they were to come on and win an All Ireland. But I wouldn't begrudge the other three an All Ireland if Cork do get beaten. Cork won't be a dominant force in hurling for a long time, we don't have the players so we need an All Ireland as much as the other three teams left in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

An All Ireland final without a Traditional hurling county in it does'nt bear thinking about.
    So Limerick and Clare are non-traditional hurling counties now?! :D

Whatever you're smoking I want some of it!

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Semi final tickets arrived today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

It would be nice to see Limerick and Dublin make it through so that we have the 2 provincial finalists competig for the ultimate crown.

I'll be cheering on Dublin being from my own province.

If Cork win the first semi, I think they will have too much for either of the other two, however, if Dublin win, I still couldn't call it between either dublin and limerick or dublin and clare.

I think the dubs will have too much pyhsicallity and pace for Cork. Cork haven't been scoring great and haven't had a goal threat for a long time. The dubs with their big match experience will have no fear of Cork as they had no fear of KK or Galway.

Dublin should have beat KK twice and were much more convincing in their win against us than Cork imho.

As for Limerick Clare, too hard to call, but I think Limerick's bench edges it in their favour and in all honesty, they and Dublin have been the form teams of the championship.

Pudders wrote: »
    It would be nice to see Limerick and Dublin make it through so that we have the 2 provincial finalists competig for the ultimate crown.

I'll be cheering on Dublin being from my own province.

If Cork win the first semi, I think they will have too much for either of the other two, however, if Dublin win, I still couldn't call it between either dublin and limerick or dublin and clare.

I think the dubs will have too much pyhsicallity and pace for Cork. Cork haven't been scoring great and haven't had a goal threat for a long time. The dubs with their big match experience will have no fear of Cork as they had no fear of KK or Galway.

Dublin should have beat KK twice and were much more convincing in their win against us than Cork imho.

As for Limerick Clare, too hard to call, but I think Limerick's bench edges it in their favour and in all honesty, they and Dublin have been the form teams of the championship.

Its Ideal for Cork that nobody is giving them hope. They nearly always play their best hurling as underdogs. At the end of the day i wouldnt be 100% convinced that Dublin would beat KK in a knock out championship match. Again it remains to be seen. Dublin have every chance of beating Cork but Cork are Cork and if they put a performance together will be hard to beat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nobody giving Cork hope? Really?

I'd say plenty of people are giving Cork hope, but I'm sure if they win we'll hear all about how "everyone has been writing us off all year"

Anyway, I'd make it a 50/50 game. I don't think the layoff will suit Dublin but if they survive the first 20 mins or so I'd give them a chance.

Like a lot of neutrals I'd love to see a Dublin v Limerick final, given neither of them has won the competition for such a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Its Ideal for Cork that nobody is giving them hope. They nearly always play their best hurling as underdogs. At the end of the day i wouldnt be 100% convinced that Dublin would beat KK in a knock out championship match. Again it remains to be seen. Dublin have every chance of beating Cork but Cork are Cork and if they put a performance together will be hard to beat.

Don't know where you are getting that nobody is giving Cork any hope. I THINK the Dubs will beat you but I wasn't sying it was a foregone conclusion.

Also plenty of Cork and non-Cork people have Cork as favourites rather than Dublin with Paddy Power giving evens to either of you so I think most people are saying it is a difficult call.

The big fear for Cork is the sense that the job is done by beating KK and under-estimating Dublin. Dublin don't give a **** about reputations, mushrooms or JBM.

If Cork don't start well, I can't see them clawing the Dubs back. Cork against Limerick and Kilkenny started well but were weaker in the 2nd half. If they start badly, it could be fatal against the Dubs.

You came on here sayin it was important that Cork get beaten .

Important to me. I have to move down to Cork and I know what your fans are like when ye are winning, especially when they know you're from KK :D

More to the point I think most neutrals would like a non-Big 3 team to win, as it hasn't happened in a very long time. Far too long for the health of the game. So, yeah...I stand by it. It's important that ye are beaten. There's probably a better way of saying that that doesn't imply sour grapes...but we've been winning a lot, surely the last benefit you get is a bit of sour grapes?

As for your stuff about Barry Kelly, I have never once said that Cork weren't worth their win. They were, easily. Far far better, looked fresher, hungrier, played smart hurling and took your chances, stood up to the physicality. I've been consistent in all of that.

But if you think that means Barry Kelly was a fair ref? Come off it. He was terrible, no harm in pointing that out, and I don't think it takes from Cork's win. Blaming the length of the grass in 2006 though?;)

What night are Cork to name their team? Wed or Thur? Be interesting to see who they put on Keaney and Sutcliffe. I think limiting their point-scoring threat from these two would be key to winning, because they haven't been great in getting goals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Surprised Cork are least favourites (from the poll)?

They were well on top v Limerick before the sending off. Don't think Limerick are any great shakes, or Clare. Pat Horgan is key though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Surprised Cork are least favourites (from the poll)?

They were well on top v Limerick before the sending off. Don't think Limerick are any great shakes, or Clare. Pat Horgan is key though.

I'm more surprised that Clare are 2nd favourites tbh!

As for the Cork-Limerick game, I've said it before but Cork were certainly better in the first 35 mins but the teams were level at half-time, Cork hadn't got the lead that they deserved and I think because of that, Limerick would have won with their stronger bench. Obviously we can't know for sure, but I think JBM will have been very disappointed to have gone in level, probably should have been 5 or 6 points up as Limerick didn't perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Its a gas championship really. Cork people and pundits were saying before the Clare game it was the worst Cork teams in years and they'd win nothing yet once they beat Clare the optimism returned.

I'd agree with Fireball above, limerick started brightly but went totally out of the game and Cork got on top but before Horgan was sent off the sides were level on the scoreboard and limerick only performed for 10/15 minutes so I think limerick would have won. Cork didn't exactly kick on with the extra man against Kk but limerick kicked on against Cork.

• Advertisement

Outright:

Cork 8/11
    Limerick 9/4
    Clare 7/2

Hurler of the Year:

Pat Horgan 11/10
    Donal O Grady 14/1
    Pa Cronin 28/1
    Ritchie McCarthy 7/1
    John Conlan 16/1
    Seamus Harnedy 33/1
    Anthony Nash 7/1
    Tom Condon 20/1
    Daniel Kearney 33/1
    Brendan Bugler 9/1
    Darach Honan 25/1
    James Ryan 33/1
    Declan Hannon 10/1
    Shane O'Neill 28/1
    Shane Dowling 66/1
    Podge Collins 12/1

Top Scorer:

Colin Ryan (40pts) 4/6
    Eoin Larkin (50pts) 11/10
    Patrick Horgan (34pts) 33/1

Young Hurler:

Declan Hannon evens
    Shane Dowling 14/1
    Christopher Joyce 40/1
    Podge Collins 2/1
    Danny Sutcliffe 16/1
    Seadna Morey 80/1
    Tony Kelly 6/1
    Colm Galvin 25/1
    Peter Duggan 80/1
    Conor Lehane 6/1
    Jamie Coughlan 40/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

So 34% of the boardies have fallen at the 1st fence in the poll :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Outright:

Cork 8/11
    Limerick 9/4
    Clare 7/2

Hurler of the Year:

Pat Horgan 11/10
    Donal O Grady 14/1
    Pa Cronin 28/1
    Ritchie McCarthy 7/1
    John Conlan 16/1
    Seamus Harnedy 33/1
    Anthony Nash 7/1
    Tom Condon 20/1
    Daniel Kearney 33/1
    Brendan Bugler 9/1
    Darach Honan 25/1
    James Ryan 33/1
    Declan Hannon 10/1
    Shane O'Neill 28/1
    Shane Dowling 66/1
    Podge Collins 12/1

Top Scorer:

Colin Ryan (40pts) 4/6
    Eoin Larkin (50pts) 11/10
    Patrick Horgan (34pts) 33/1

Young Hurler:

Declan Hannon evens
    Shane Dowling 14/1
    Christopher Joyce 40/1
    Podge Collins 2/1
    Danny Sutcliffe 16/1
    Seadna Morey 80/1
    Tony Kelly 6/1
    Colm Galvin 25/1
    Peter Duggan 80/1
    Conor Lehane 6/1
    Jamie Coughlan 40/1

About Young Hurler of The Year,

Conor Lehane has had a poor championship in comparison to last year, 6/1 makes no sense. Sutcliffe at 16/1 is a crazy price, he's been excellent.

Podge Collins will surely win it, he's been a revelation so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

Do tickets for the final only go through the clubs? Dying to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Do tickets for the final only go through the clubs? Dying to go...

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

once Cork get to semi finals or final they are hard beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    once Cork get to semi finals or final they are hard beat

very true so many times they have won AI in a year that they are wrote off, 1990 and 1999 spring to mind. there is a lot of similarity with 99 imo, another young team with the exception of tom kenny that JBM has at is disposal. still gutted for the dubs, but there's always next year, dalo very gracious in defeat as per normal :)

very true so many times they have won AI in a year that they are wrote off, 1990 and 1999 spring to mind. there is a lot of similarity with 99 imo, another young team with the exception of tom kenny that JBM has at is disposal. still gutted for the dubs, but there's always next year, dalo very gracious in defeat as per normal :)

In fairness (and I say this as a Clare woman) Dalo has lots of experience in that
    Gutted for him, but there's always next year
    And I'm sure himself and Fitz will be meeting up to have a chat about cork if Clare do the business next Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I am a big fan of Daly. He impressed me even in his Clare manager days as he had a poor enough panel at his disposal there. However, I actually think a new manager for Dublin might not be such a bad thing. He has been there for 6 years now? Thats a long time for a manager and means a lot of those players would never have played under a different manager at that level. Perhaps a new manager might bring in some 'fresh' ideas for those guys.

• Advertisement

I am a big fan of Daly. He impressed me even in his Clare manager days as he had a poor enough panel at his disposal there. However, I actually think a new manager for Dublin might not be such a bad thing. He has been there for 6 years now? Thats a long time for a manager and means a lot of those players would never have played under a different manager at that level. Perhaps a new manager might bring in some 'fresh' ideas for those guys.

Maybe he will go to Waterford?

Advertisement