Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Championship 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭BQQ

Rightwing wrote: »
    They didn't need to, they were running the KK defenders ragged & slotting points.

LOL

They only scored 19 points playing against 14 men for over half the match.
    19 pts won't win many games.
    In fact, only one game in the championship so far this year was won with less.
    Westmeath 1-15 0-11 London ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They didn't need to, they were running the KK defenders ragged & slotting points.

Your posts are getting less and less credible.

According to you Cork didn't need to score goals ...... because they were slotting points......... Cork only scored 8 points in the 2nd half you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Gave my own county my support in the poll, purely based on the fact that I cannot call it between the four teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Gave my own county my support in the poll, purely based on the fact that I cannot call it between the four teams.

Exactly the same.

It's so close...but gotta have faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I fancy Limerick now. They have been improving constantly since 2011 and they should be too strong for Clare. On the other side I have a feeling Cork will just about beat Dublin. I don't think the long break will help Dublin. But its really hard to call right now. I'm looking forward to the S/F.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Clare. Wouldn't begrudge Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Went for Cork. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Also went for Cork, but as others said, will be some semi-finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Just fancy Limerick. I can't call Dublin and Cork. Dublin will find it hard to keep their game at the same level. When Dublin come into face Cork it will have been a month since their last game and that was against a poor Galway. It's fairly hard to call because all the teams left have big weakness' in their sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

Clare and Dublin final, I don't think Limerick will be as strong in Croker as they were at home for both games so far. Cork/ Dublin game harder to call but Dublin have a better mix of experience, physicality and scoring power. Also fancy them to win final, could be a Dubs double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just fancy Limerick. I can't call Dublin and Cork. Dublin will find it hard to keep their game at the same level. When Dublin come into face Cork it will have been a month since their last game and that was against a poor Galway. It's fairly hard to call because all the teams left have big weakness' in their sides.

What do you think are Limericks and Dublins weakness?
    Or anyone else?

Just curious, especially since we haven't seen them in a while.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Or anyone else?

Dublin have no tradition, no one will fear them.

Will they be massively outnumbered in Croker? Could affect the team.

Possibly inconsistent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Justin10

Tradition?? I think that will work in Dublins favour.
    Dublin fans be outnumbered or Limerick?

Totally agree that they may not show up and of course on top of that the 5 week lay off.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Or anyone else?

Well, for Dublin, they had a severe problem with wasteful shooting prior to the final against Galway (a problem for Clare too), I mean they were hitting huge amounts of wides. Ever since the first Kilkenny game, their defence has been absolutely superb- Rushe/Carton/Schutte/Kelly all superb, I don't think that's going to be a major worry. But in attack, they may have a few issues.

Okay, they hammered Galway, but Galway were awful and gave the freedom of Croke Park to Ryan and O'Callaghan, who destroyed them. Cork won't be as naive, and neither will anyone else. Keaney is the key man, he brings the other forwards into play, and is probably their best creator. But if Ryan and O'Callaghan are denied space, will they be able to get sufficient scores under pressure?

As for Limerick, I'm probably even more aware of our own potential weaknesses. We've given away goal chances in both our matches to date, and although our defence have generally been excellent, it's going to be punished eventually. The distribution of our wing-backs has been questionable at times... in the first half against Cork, their half-back line won a huge amount of ball from our clearances. Our half-forward line's scoring power is still a big question, Ryan stepped up the last day but he was basically playing midfield.

And the arguable lack of form of Mulcahy and Hannon, our top forwards. (And potential injuries to Dowling, Downes & Tobin). They're not playing terribly, but they haven't hit top form yet, and it's hard to see us winning an All-Ireland with them not firing on all cylinders. Perhaps a bit of an issue about ball-winning up front aswell, particularly against strong half-back lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Its is valid points that posters make about Corks poor goal scoring record.

It is a big worry for Cork not to be scoring goals.It does not help that Pebbles is out,but like a poster said,we did not create anything against limerick of our own,and against clare,only went harnedy was through on goal,did we create a goal chance.

In the league against,Galway and KK we got really good goals,Lehane a fine goal.

But in the championship we have been poor.In lehane,coughlan and O farell we have the ability,but unlike KK forwards of the last few years,a lot of our guys go for the soft scoring option of points,instead of being ruthless,and clinical,when near the goal,to actually run towards the goal and go for it.

Mcgraths goal for clare,showed how its done.O farell who is a fine goalscorer,and loads of pace,got a ball in the corner,had tyrell on the run,went for a point,instead of turning away from goal,he showed have turned inside and took him on.

Thats what i admired about KK forwards down the years,given half a chance,and they were ruthless.It is just as much mindset and belief and confidence with goals as it is talent and ability.

Take Pat Horgan.In contention for an all star,he for all hes talent,bar 2010,against tipp,has a poor goal scoring record.

Thats needs to be worked on.

Of all the teams left we are the worst team in regards,goals and chances created.

In 99,under JBM,we had a similar problem,only scoring one goal to win that all ireland.Actually since 90's,bar waterford in 07 in munster,and tipp in 2010,we have struggled to get goals in any huge numbers.

2004 and 2005,we would manage one goal in most games,but mainly relied on scoring points.Even forwards like Ben o connor,and Joe Deane were never as proflic as they should have been goal wise.

A lot of focus in cork is point scoring.We need to put more work on getting goals.

On the other side of the coin,we have the best defence goal wise of all the teams left,and considering we dont have a recoginised full back,and have lost murphy ,its astonishing we have kept a clean sheet,which the other 3 teams have failed to do.

Our defence has been superb,even against limerick,but it can and will get better,with joyce at cb,and murphy due a miraclaous come back from injury.

The key of course is Nash.He is the main reason we kept a clean sheet.He is unreal,and he not puts the element of doubt in even the best forwards,that few are prepared to take him on.

There are three very good Goal keepers besides Nash left,but its fair to say Nash is still the best,and bar an unlikely nightmare against Dublin,is certain to get a second all star.

I remember the limerick lads saying,and understandably so they had the forwards to get goals against us.I said it then,that while we were weak at full back,any team would be doing very well to get a goal against Nash,never mind more than one.

He won't concede many.He is still only 27 and will be around for many years,barring injury.We have an abundance of top quality goal keepers,waiting in line ,when he does go.

So overall,while we have not scored a single goal,we have not conceded any so far.The 99 success,under JBM, was built on only conceding one goal,and that was from a Paul Flynn free,time will tell if the same happens with this team.

Their is nothing ,between any of the four teams left,a lot will depend on who stays injury free,at this crucial time of the championship,and it is really a case of any given sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Don';t think either of those things are relevant. Dublin have more all-irelands than Clare and one less than Limerick. But more Dublin players have played in an All-ireland semi than Limerick, and all have played in Croker whereas of the Limerick team only McNamara, O Mahoney, DOG, Breen and possibly James Ryan have that are starting.

They're not at home and their containment tactics may not work as well on a bigger pitch though 3 of the 4 teams play a very defensive game anyway, though Dublin probably knew they had to be a bit more open in the wide open spoaces of Croker. Of course theyr not playing each other yet anyway so that doesnt matter at this point and time;

The key of course is Nash.He is the main reason we kept a clean sheet.He is unreal,and he not puts the element of doubt in even the best forwards,that few are prepared to take him on.

There are three very good Goal keepers besides Nash left,but its fair to say Nash is still the best,and bar an unlikely nightmare against Dublin,is certain to get a second all star.

I remember the limerick lads saying,and understandably so they had the forwards to get goals against us.I said it then,that while we were weak at full back,any team would be doing very well to get a goal against Nash,never mind more than one.

He won't concede many.He is still only 27 and will be around for many years,barring injury.We have an abundance of top quality goal keepers,waiting in line ,when he does go.

In fairness, we didn't even take a shot on goal against Cork. A mixture of your full-back line being very good, our quality of ball not being great, the right players not getting on the ball in the right areas and then being happy to take points.

One chance I can remember was when Dowling flicked the ball past the defender, and was running through but was a bit too slow to burst past the defender, and in the end, tapped it over.

Nash is a very talented keeper, but wouldn't say he's a certainty for an All-Star. His puckouts have cost ye a few scores at this stage, which is a big part of a keeper's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gary Maguire is Nash's equal at the very least imo.

Both are excellent keepers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

tradition will have very little to do with it. The only side with tradition left are Cork, yet the likes of Clare at underage level have beaten Cork consistently in recent years.

None of the remaining teams will or should for that matter should fear any of the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

All the teams will believe they can win the All Ireland, and all have shown that they can beat each other, after all they are the 2 teams who were contesting the Division 1 relegation against the teams playing the Division 2 promotion

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    In fairness, we didn't even take a shot on goal against Cork. A mixture of your full-back line being very good, our quality of ball not being great, the right players not getting on the ball in the right areas and then being happy to take points.

One chance I can remember was when Dowling flicked the ball past the defender, and was running through but was a bit too slow to burst past the defender, and in the end, tapped it over.

Nash is a very talented keeper, but wouldn't say he's a certainty for an All-Star. His puckouts have cost ye a few scores at this stage, which is a big part of a keeper's game.

I never said ye did.Thats my point,teams are afraid to take him on ,as he will nine out of ten times save most shots.

Nash did make a few mistakes puckout wise against limerick,but that was as much our players fault than him. The One he sent out over the line,Egan.just stood their and never even moved for the ball.

He was superb against clare,and was unreal against KK. He is in pole position for an all star.The other three keepers,were solid,he was spectuaclar.A solid display in the semi final,whether Cork win or not should win it for him.

Cork are certain to get at least one all star,over getting to the semifinals.

Nash is the Cork player more likely to get it,even if dublin beat us.Horgan is in line but faces much stiffer opposition than say,Nash .Other cork players are in contention but have a lot of work to do to win it.

Nash has been way ahead of the rest,this year.He also is able to scores frees,and is our penalty taker.

When they pick all stars,they usually take a huge view on the influence a player had on their team.

With Murphy,and cronin,and horgan all missing for one of Corks keys game,Nash has been our greatest influence ,on the team,like brian cocorocan was in 99.

He held that defence together,we had great players,but he was the conductor of it all.

Nash has the same effect.Hes organising,and leadership when Cork do not have the ball,can only be truly witnessed by being at a match.

And sundays double save was top drawer.When Germany got to the 2002,world cup final with a poor defence, their goal keeper,Oliver Kahn was the main reason.

Nash has done the same with Cork.
    People can say that some opponents ,had poor shot selection against him,that what makes Nash so great,he creates that self doubt,that makes forwards panic against him.

Who ever scores a goal against him,will have earned it.In my view,he is our only player so far,practially nailed on to win an all star.

Clareman wrote: »
    Goals are harder and harder to score in hurling now as there seems to be a tactic for most teams to concede frees ~60 yards out to negate the chances of the play building for a goal, most of the goals I can remember are either from set pieces or there was a clear attempt to foul the attacker on the way through.

I'll put up a poll now as well.

KK being the high profile sufferers of goal famine. Even along with their struggles this year, had they been able to eek out goals it could have been a different season.

Clareman wrote: »
    All the teams will believe they can win the All Ireland, and all have shown that they can beat each other, after all they are the 2 teams who were contesting the Division 1 relegation against the teams playing the Division 2 promotion
    Hunger won't be a problem, for any teams left.They all have suffered famines.
    It is all on the day.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    tradition will have very little to do with it. The only side with tradition left are Cork, yet the likes of Clare at underage level have beaten Cork consistently in recent years.

None of the remaining teams will or should for that matter should fear any of the other.

I'm surprised to see Dublin doing so well in that poll. Tradition still counts for a bit, and I expect cork to easily outnumber dublin support at croke park.

I'm surprised to see Dublin doing so well in that poll. Tradition still counts for a bit, and I expect cork to easily outnumber dublin support at croke park.
    I don't think tradition counts for much,the teams are so close,maybee in an all ireland final,it may give Cork a slight edge.

Teams want to create their own history,so support wont be a problem for either team.

So far,its been a curse for the favourites,I'd prefer the underdog role now.

Clare will relish that tag against Limerick.

PP have Limerick favourites.

No way will they easily out number the Dublin support, as Dublin are Leinster champs and in only their second semi final since the 50s or something. They are also a massive County and also at home. Should be two good paydays for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

50-50 i'd say. Was at least 25,000 Dubs at the Leinster final and will exceed that by quite a lot for this match.

Cork do bring big numbers for the small ball so could be 60k+

Was 45,000 at the Tipp game in 2011 if memory serves me and that Dublin side did not have the hype or the following the 2013 side does.

If KK were still involved, and even allowing for their below-par performances then tradition would be a factor. Other teams would be extremely wary of KK despite them not firing on all cylinders.

As it is, how many players from the 4 panels remaining hold AI medals at senior, Tom Kenny being one, is there anyone else???

If KK were still involved, and even allowing for their below-par performances then tradition would be a factor. Other teams would be extremely wary of KK despite them not firing on all cylinders.

As it is, how many players from the 4 panels remaining hold AI medals at senior, Tom Kenny being one, is there anyone else???

Brian Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Brian Murphy must have one as well?

EDIT: Mountainlad beat me to it!

Advertisement