Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Championship 2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Cork will win it and will be deserving champions having knocked out Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Stinicker wrote: »
    Cork will win it and will be deserving champions having knocked out Kilkenny.

whichever team wins it will be deserving champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hopefully Cork will make it to the final at least.
    An All Ireland final without a Traditional hurling county in it does'nt bear thinking about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

An All Ireland final without a Traditional hurling county in it does'nt bear thinking about.

A sad day indeed for Tipp GAA when you have to resort to supporting Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Any chance you not leave at least a 72 hour gap between attempted thread derailments, it was painful enough wading through the All Star crap you started a few pages back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

You poor cratur, these upstart counties still involved whilst the traditionalists are finished for the year.

Is there any point in finishing the championship at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brian Murphy must have one as well?

EDIT: Mountainlad beat me to it!

Two even. He was twice on the receiving end in his debut season in 2004 of fouls that got the offenders sent off (Mullane and TJ Ryan), which I myself believe can't have been a coincidence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭independent11

I fully agree, you have to back as far as 2001 since this last happened, not something we want to see this or any other year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

A final without the two best teams in it doesn't bare thinking about. What county they may be is irrelevant.

Dublin and Limerick have been the two best teams so far this year.

Cork and Clare have one game to change that.

Whether or not a county is 'traditional' or not, they have to earn the right to be in the final. Tipperary and to a point Kilkenny certainly did not play like 'traditional counties' this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I actually think a Dublin v Limerick final and we could be looking at a real classic. Speaking of tradition though, Dublin have been in 18 All-Ireland Hurling finals, Limerick have been in 15. Plenty of tradition there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

FFS! The sheer fookin arrogance of the so called traditional counties. Wouldn't it be marvellous, if they didn't win another all Ireland, for 50 years between them.:cool:
    Expect a Cork v Clare final. If Clare win, and the traditional thinking pundits, will say Clare didn't deserve it, as they had already been beaten by Cork:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Describe, using minimum 50 words, what you feel a "traditional hurling county" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

always like when the likes of Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork don't go far in the championship
    in any age grade

marco_polo wrote: »
    Any chance you not leave at least a 72 hour gap between attempted thread derailments, it was painful enough wading through the All Star crap you started a few pages back.

Obviously you are'nt very good at gauging the mood of the posters around here1 I can take over your moderators job if you wish!:cool:

Obviously you are'nt very good at gauging the mood of the posters around here1 I can take over your moderators job if you wish!:cool:

Why not? Moderate the whole thing, through the myopic lens, of a "traditional hurling county fan":eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Duiske wrote: »
    I actually think a Dublin v Limerick final and we could be looking at a real classic. Speaking of tradition though, Dublin have been in 18 All-Ireland Hurling finals, Limerick have been in 15. Plenty of tradition there.

A lot of people would go for this final, traditional in the sense that you have the munster & leinster champions going head to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Congrats to cork on their hard earned victory over Kilkenny on Sunday. They were far more hungier, use their possesion better and had a far greater skill level than The Cats.

I was at the game, have watched the Sunday Game, and rewatched the full match since.

Obviously, I have Black and Amber tinted glasses on!!! But what did the rest of ye (Cork People and nuetrals) make of Barry Kelly's refereeing throughout??

Not taking anything away from Cork or being a sore loser.
    I think Cork would have won even if it was 15 vs 15. Cork wanted the win more and it showed on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Congrats to cork on their hard earned victory over Kilkenny on Sunday. They were far more hungier, use their possesion better and had a far greater skill level than The Cats.

I was at the game, have watched the Sunday Game, and rewatched the full match since.

Obviously, I have Black and Amber tinted glasses on!!! But what did the rest of ye (Cork People and nuetrals) make of Barry Kelly's refereeing throughout??

I think Cork would have won even if it was 15 vs 15. Cork wanted the win more and it showed on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

1984baby wrote: »

He was poor. But the writing has been on the wall for Kilkenny all year long.

They just refused to read it until now.

There are lots of ifs and buts but the fact is it was a disjointed Kilkenny performance and they deserved to go out.

Would'nt it be ironic if the two counties, Cork & Limerick, that shafted their managers in recent years were to contest the final?:cool:

• Advertisement

Would'nt it be ironic if the two counties, Cork & Limerick, that shafted their managers in recent years were to contest the final?:cool:

And isn't it a fine thing, that Sean Og, has to shut to fook up, about team selection. Yesterday's man ranting and raving from beyond the grave:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Explain how the other three teams are not from "traditional hurling counties"

Explain why it "doesn't bear thinking about" if a so-called traditional county isn't in it

1984baby wrote: »

I thought the ref was poor, he favoured the more aggressive team, but this has worked to KK's advantage in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Two even. He was twice on the receiving end in his debut season in 2004 of fouls that got the offenders sent off (Mullane and TJ Ryan), which I myself believe can't have been a coincidence ;)

TJ Ryan wasn't sent off in that clash with Cork at GG in 2004. He most certainly should have been though. Can't remember who he hit (was it Kieran Murphy?) but it was with the butt of the hurley. The decision by the ref to only yellow card him was the worst I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

grenache wrote: »
    TJ Ryan wasn't sent off in that clash with Cork at GG in 2004. He most certainly should have been though. Can't remember who he hit (was it Kieran Murphy?) but it was with the butt of the hurley. The decision by the ref to only yellow card him was the worst I've ever seen.

Jonathan o callaghan,from castletown roche.A fine ,tough hurler,always felt,he was deserving of a starting games with cork,Cyril farrell was a big fan of him.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I thought the ref was poor, he favoured the more aggressive team, but this has worked to KK's advantage in the past.

Fortune favours the brave,Cork were brave enough to take Kilkenny on physically.

Fortune favours the brave,Cork were brave enough to take Kilkenny on physically.

Absolutely, I was very surprised how physical Cork were. Against Limk in the semi, it was a very clean game of hurling. They tergetted KK, no question about that.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Absolutely, I was very surprised how physical Cork were. Against Limk in the semi, it was a very clean game of hurling. They tergetted KK, no question about that.

The hunter,became the hunted.Cork went looking for trouble.They simply had to win it.

In 2010,KK set the tone,by being manly against Aiseake.Cork had not the b***s to fight back.

Nice guys dont win much.Cork were beaten by Meath in 87 and 88.A lot of cork fans hate Meath to this day for their physicality.

I dont but I admire them,as they had a steel about them,to compliment their fantastic,footballers.Cork eventually learned ,and Colm o neill was righty send off in 90,but it showed Cork were not going to be bullied again.

Kenneally like O se,for years targeted Nichoclas Murphy in 09.I dont blame Kerry for it,the referee did not act on it,was not their fault.

But I blame Cork,for not reacting to it.Their should of been a Wille John Mcbride moment,like in the lions in 73 and said enough is enough,and manned up.

If you are not protected by the referee,you have no choice but to protect yourself.

You always fight fire with fire.

Great to see that finally in this Cork hurling team and long may it continue.

Like Roy Keane's hard but fair challenge,in the first minute against Mar overmars of Holland in 2002,in Dublin,a statement of intent right from the start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Duiske wrote: »
    Speaking of tradition though, Dublin have been in 18 All-Ireland Hurling finals.

Only one Dublin native has ever been on the winning side however :cool:

• Advertisement

The hunter,became the hunted.Cork went looking for trouble.They simply had to win it.

In 2010,KK set the tone,by being manly against Aiseake.Cork had not the b***s to fight back.

Nice guys dont win much.Cork were beaten by Meath in 87 and 88.A lot of cork fans hate Meath to this day for their physicality.

I dont but I admire them,as they had a steel about them,to compliment their fantastic,footballers.Cork eventually learned ,and Colm o neill was righty send off in 90,but it showed Cork were not going to be bullied again.

Kenneally like O se,for years targeted Nichoclas Murphy in 09.I dont blame Kerry for it,the referee did not act on it,was not their fault.

But I blame Cork,for not reacting to it.Their should of been a Wille John Mcbride moment,like in the lions in 73 and said enough is enough,and manned up.

If you are not protected by the referee,you have no choice but to protect yourself.

You always fight fire with fire.

Great to see that finally in this Cork hurling team and long may it continue.

Like Roy Keane's hard but fair challenge,in the first minute against Mar overmars of Holland in 2002,in Dublin,a statement of intent right from the start.

Unfortunately you are right. We need the refs to front up and send people off. The ref the last day should be have been on the case after a few minutes. No point sending someone off for mickey mouse yellows.

Advertisement