Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Championship 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

CyberWaste wrote: »
    What was the score in that if you can remember.
    6-21 to 1-14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

This point has probably already been mentioned, but the last 4 consists of two teams from Division 1B and two others who were in the relegation playoff from 1A; in the event of a Limerick-Cork final neither team will be in the top division next season! And all following what is generally considered the most competitive league campaign of recent years :D:confused:

Thats interesting alright. Could it be put down to complacency amongst the bigger teams I wonder???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You have to say very well done to all the teams in the semi's. They've all played above expectations and probably weren't even dreaming of All irelands at the start of the year.

What ever happens now we are in for a novel All Ireland pairing, personally I'd love to see a Dublin v Limerick final but whatever happens it;s going to be a groundbreaking year...

Start of the year I would have called by semi finalists as Kilkenny, Tipp, Waterford, Galway. Staggeringly bad record of 0-4.

Quite glad to be wrong though, especially on Dublin, I thought Daly should have quit after last year didn't see any real progress last year, needless to say glad to be proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

adrian522 wrote: »
    You have to say very well done to all the teams in the semi's. They've all played above expectations and probably weren't even dreaming of All irelands at the start of the year.

What ever happens now we are in for a novel All Ireland pairing, personally I'd love to see a Dublin v Limerick final but whatever happens it;s going to be a groundbreaking year...

Start of the year I would have called by semi finalists as Kilkenny, Tipp, Waterford, Galway. Staggeringly bad record of 0-4.

Quite glad to be wrong though, especially on Dublin, I thought Daly should have quit after last year didn't see any real progress last year, needless to say glad to be proved wrong.

Yeah, it was very hard to see past Kilkenny & Tipp at start of year. As 3rd team, I'd have Galway but did not expect them to win. 4th best team was always hard to call. But I felt Clare would get there at the start of the year (I thought they would do it by winning Munster though). So I dont think you are alone with your woeful predictions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

adrian522 wrote: »

Don't beat yourself up over this, not a single hurling fan/expert/punter could have predicted this Championship. Compelling and fascinating viewing and it looks like the remaining three games could be more of the same. Roll on August 11th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up over this, not a single hurling fan/expert/punter could have predicted this Championship. Compelling and fascinating viewing and it looks like the remaining three games could be more of the same. Roll on August 11th.

It's like the 90's all over again. Could be the start of another golden era for hurling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's like the 90's all over again. Could be the start of another golden era for hurling :)

I fcuking hope not. We left two All Ireland's after us. I want to see no repeat this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Will this be the first year that there won't be an all star from Tipp or Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭eire 2012

That is what the Gaa so badly want and no harm in that but how they are going about it is the problem im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Will this be the first year that there won't be an all star from Tipp or Kilkenny?

Ah they'll give shefflin 1. Out of sympathy if nothing else, all stars are a joke.

The 1 team people seem to be taking lightly here are Cork. They were in a semi last year and ran Galway close.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jackie Tyrell will be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rightwing wrote: »
    Ah they'll give shefflin 1. Out of sympathy if nothing else, all stars are a joke.

Jesus you're some bitter man. Would you ever get over your obsession with kk? Of course he won't get one, and I'd be shocked if any of the rest did either. As to Dan Breens question I dunno if it's a first for definite but it must be, surely?

Jesus you're some bitter man. Would you ever get over your obsession with kk? Of course he won't get one, and I'd be shocked if any of the rest did either. As to Dan Breens question I dunno if it's a first for definite but it must be, surely?

I'd say it would be a first, but it won't happen, just no way.

On the contrary I'm a big fan of KK hurling. Always preferred them to Tipp or Cork.

I see B Murphy is almost back for Cork, things falling nicely into place for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd say it would be a first, but it won't happen, just no way.

On the contrary I'm a big fan of KK hurling. Always preferred them to Tipp or Cork.

Fair enough, but you've been getting the boot in a lot lately! As for the All Stars, who do you think they are going to give one to? Nobody from the Tipp team anyway, since they didn't beat anyone. Kilkenny? I just don't see it. Possibly one or other of Paul Murphy (for his miraculous return from injury in the Tipp game and consistent enough performances after that) or Kieran Joyce, but I would be very surprised if they can't find four better wing and corner backs than the two of them, especially after the remaining three games are played (the semi finalists routinely account for about thirteen or fourteen of the All Stars).

Fair enough, but you've been getting the boot in a lot lately! As for the All Stars, who do you think they are going to give one to? Nobody from the Tipp team anyway, since they didn't beat anyone. Kilkenny? I just don't see it. Possibly one or other of Paul Murphy (for his miraculous return from injury in the Tipp game and consistent enough performances after that) or Kieran Joyce, but I would be very surprised if they can't find four better wing and corner backs than the two of them, especially after the remaining three games are played (the semi finalists routinely account for about thirteen or fourteen of the All Stars).

I'll be honest, I never really follow the all stars. They always seem to give them to a household name whether it's justified or not.

As for putting the boot into KK, no, all I said was I think they had easier draws, a bit like Kerry have in munster football.

If any other team had won as much as KK had in recent years the gloating would have been something else. I always give credit to Cody for the way he managed that. I think I only ever saw him go ballistic once, against M Morrissey and that was after KK had won!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The reason Kilkenny are out is because they're not as good as they were.

The warning signs have been there for quite a while now to be fair.

Tipp humbled them in 2010, then they went backwards and KK won 2011 reasonably unopposed. Galway wiped them out in Leinster and took them to a replay in the All-Ireland, and now Dublin and Cork have beaten them.

This hasn't happened overnight. There's a clear regression in progress in the Kilkenny team.

Jackie Tyrell will be the only one.

If thats the case they could give Mickey Cahill one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

I'd have put money that there'd be a year between 94 - 96 where they they didn't have one but I was wrong:
    1994 -John Leahy & DJ Carey
    1995- DJ Carey
    1996- Liam Cahill at Right Corner Forward

Anyway 1977, 1981 were the 2 years where KK & Tipp didn't have an allstar.
    Clare had 4 in 77 & 3 in 81 to match Limerick's 3 that year

Moneymaker wrote: »
    The reason Kilkenny are out is because they're not as good as they were.

The warning signs have been there for quite a while now to be fair.

Tipp humbled them in 2010, then they went backwards and KK won 2011 reasonably unopposed. Galway wiped them out in Leinster and took them to a replay in the All-Ireland, and now Dublin and Cork have beaten them.

This hasn't happened overnight. There's a clear regression in progress in the Kilkenny team.

I could be wrong here, but I still think KK are the best, followed by Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

jj1 wrote: »
    I'd have put money that there'd be a year between 94 - 96 where they they didn't have one but I was wrong:
    1994 -John Leahy & DJ Carey
    1995- DJ Carey
    1996- Liam Cahill at Right Corner Forward

Anyway 1977, 1981 were the 2 years where KK & Tipp didn't have an allstar.
    Clare had 4 in 77 & 3 in 81 to match Limerick's 3 that year

In all fairness, it was surely Kilkenny keeping up that pattern for most of the early years of the Allstars. From 1972 to 1986 inclusive, I would hardly be too far wrong if I said that I could count the number of Tipperary Allstars on the fingers of one hand.

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    In all fairness, it was surely Kilkenny keeping up that pattern for most of the early years of the Allstars. From 1972 to 1986 inclusive, I would hardly be too far wrong if I said that I could count the number of Tipperary Allstars on the fingers of one hand.

All this is coming straight from Wiki but how many fingers have you on that hand. 11 Tipp allstars in that time by my count.

Years without one: 74, 76, 77, 81 & 82

jj1 wrote: »
    All this is coming straight from Wiki but how many fingers have you on that hand. 11 Tipp allstars in that time by my count.

Years without one: 74, 76, 77, 81 & 82

Fair enough but it seems surprising that Tipp won Allstars in 72, 75, 78, 79 & 80 given that they didn't win a single championship game in all those years. Allstars must have been handed out more generously at that time. Kilkenny may not win any this year despite winning three matches.

All a bit academic really. If your being selective about years then Kilkenny have had more years without an all star than tipp, 77,80,81,88,89,96.

Fair enough but it seems surprising that Tipp won Allstars in 72, 75, 78, 79 & 80 given that they didn't win a single championship game in all those years. Allstars must have been handed out more generously at that time. Kilkenny may not win any this year despite winning three matches.

Are you serious?
    FFS all Tommy Walsh or King Henry had to do was tog out and they would get an all star!:cool:

All a bit academic really. If your being selective about years then Kilkenny have had more years without an all star than tipp, 77,80,81,88,89,96.

Eh, 74, 76, 77, 81 & 82 between 72 & 86.

Plus 95, 98 & 12.

KK win!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Christ even when KK and Tipp are out of the championship the threads still about them :pac:

I'll trust you're right but that strikes me as very, very odd. Tipp have only won 5 All Irelands since the Allstars started compared to Kilkenny's 17. Tipp also went a decade from 1973 to 1983 without winning a single championship match. There must be an awful lot of years in the last 40 where Tipp had very little impact on the hurling year and still ended up with one Allstar. By that reckoning, Paul Murphy should surely win one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuKBkk_2ww58bo6F3HhHBXTGfUCc2qfRLRjDmnWwJhxVY6jfC-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I could be wrong here, but I still think KK are the best, followed by Tipp.

Maybe but the gap has closed substantially.

Tipp are not 2nd anymore though. They've regressed probably the worst of any team in the country.

• Advertisement

Are you serious?
    FFS all Tommy Walsh or King Henry had to do was tog out and they would get an all star!:cool:

In your dreams! In his 15th year with Kilkenny, this is only the 3rd year Henry will not be in an All Ireland. It's only the 2nd time for Tommy.

Advertisement