Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

And has gone through a fair amount of changes. It takes time to get things right

• Registered Users Posts: 17 patrykeith

Rang upc yesterday morn. Box stuck in kinda search mode. Wont start. Wed earliest someone can look at it. Over 2 days no telly. When I gave out was told thats why you got 90 credit at start of trial. Box still freezing at least 3 times a day before monday

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Anyone know if there is a plan to sort out the delete, its driving me bonkers having to do 5 clicks to delete something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Synode wrote: »
    You can scroll forward a good few days on the EGP. There's just no button to jump to a day yet.

I log into horizon.tv if I want to record something a few days away as it lets you jump to a day there

Is this true??:confused:

Yes. What part are you asking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 cormoleah01

Hi, can anyone explain to me as if im a 2 year old how to set up the internet through the horizon box? I got the box a few months ago and got fed up ringing upc so i have just been using my old modem since then but id like to get it sorted at some stage.
    It seems like it connects to the internet fine but whenever i try to connect my pc/phone it says i have no internet connection....
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Did this recently, ring them and within an hour it will be working. This works via ethernet cable using lan1 port and telephone via tel1. Both are labelled and at back of box.Setting up wireless try follow the menu settings don't have box in front right now.

The 2 year old option for wireless is to read the manual that came with box:-)

Post back with any questions
    Hi, can anyone explain to me as if im a 2 year old how to set up the internet through the horizon box? I got the box a few months ago and got fed up ringing upc so i have just been using my old modem since then but id like to get it sorted at some stage.
    It seems like it connects to the internet fine but whenever i try to connect my pc/phone it says i have no internet connection....
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

pc7 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a plan to sort out the delete, its driving me bonkers having to do 5 clicks to delete something.

what do you mean 5 clicks?

I recently wanted to (and did) delete the Tour de France recordings which were nearly each day for the best part of a month- and I had to go in and delete each day separatley :eek:

Don't ask me how many clicks that took.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

thanks

You can't do both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cormoleah01

MAJJ wrote: »
    Did this recently, ring them and within an hour it will be working. This works via ethernet cable using lan1 port and telephone via tel1. Both are labelled and at back of box.Setting up wireless try follow the menu settings don't have box in front right now.

The 2 year old option for wireless is to read the manual that came with box:-)

Post back with any questions
    thanks, i did try to use the ethernet cable but the same thing was happening :(

also tried separately not both at same time

• Advertisement

Np ring 1908 and they will activate in their systems . They are open until 21:00 and also work on Saturday but not sure times.
    thanks, i did try to use the ethernet cable but the same thing was happening :(

also tried separately not both at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

This thread is a better help-desk than UPC

In fairness to them last few people I have spoken to too have been good and helpful. Also had them follow up with me about issues I logged via tge the web. If your not getting the help you need PM UPC reps and Brian and team will assist.
    keps wrote: »

Have to say the customer support is great. Enormous improvement on what it use to be like when dealing with NTL\UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

They do read all the posts but as there are a lot of posts it can take time
    as its not just this thread but other separate threads so they can easy miss a post

The thread is useful for users as some information has helped users
    but upc have told me on the phone when giving them feedback on the Horizon that they would much prefer customers who are testing the horizon to contact them by using there support site or by calling 1908

http://www.upc.ie/horizonsupport/?cm_item=upc_ie&cmid=32007618

If you need a upc to see your post pm upc reps with a problem but always best to contact them direct that way if there is a problem they will hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Achilles wrote: »
    I just noticed something about the Horizon TV box. I have a program installed on my PS3 called Showtime (it's a program that can only be run on jailbroken PS3s). I was going to play something from my media server when I noticed that the UPC box is broadcasting itself as a media server twice. One seems to be for rented on demand stuff and the other seems to pertain to functions of the TV unit itself.

I was able to browse to various locations and get full channel listings from the EPG and from my own recordings but none of these would actually play.

See pics attached. It would be fantastic if I actually COULD stream this content over my home network. It's make the fiancé very happy anyway!

Yeah, I think the Horizon box acts as both a Upnp server and client. As a client, it can play back content from any home PC/smartphone/tablet with a Upnp server installed. As a Upnp server, it can stream content to other devices.

However, all content hosted on the Horizon is probably encrypted, to prevent copyright infringement. If it's ever enabled, it probably will only work with selected devices. I'd imagine the content owners would roast UPC alive if UPC let users stream all their content off the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I'm currently having the same problem some people had a few weeks back with the RTE2 HD channel ect with my new BT & ESPN HD channels were i have to manually enter the number to see the channel but the menu stays at the bottom of the screen and says contact customer care to subscribe, was on the phone for over 20 mins only to be eventually told to wait it out as they know there is an issue

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

what do you mean 5 clicks?

Exactly as you discovered to delete ONE program you have to press buttons 5 times on the remote to select it to delete it. On the old UPC you could just press the blue button to delete. Also if you had a series like your TdF you could delete the whole lot with the blue button. Serious pain in the hole with it, I'm OCD about the recordings being tidy, hate they way they are on the UI too. :mad:

A delete series button is essential so I'd say they'll get it sorted soon.

Has anyone tried to lock programmes (press ok then go to lock) then press the delete everything button? I presume this will keep any programmes that are locked and delete everything else? I've started to lock shows I want to keep in case anyone presses Delete Everything by mistake but am afraid to test the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SteM

Synode wrote: »
    A delete series button is essential so I'd say they'll get it sorted soon.

Genuine question - do you have any inside info from UPC?

For something (another thing!) that is essential on the PVR it hasn't been there for an awful long time so what makes you think it'll be available soon? Why they thought people would need a 'Delete Everything' option (which has already stung one person in our house) over this functionality is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Don't have inside info but as I've said loads, the box is still being developed.

As per my previous post, I've a feeling they went down the route of putting locks on shows you don't want to delete when you press the delete everything button. However, with the amount of people giving out about the lack of a delete series button, I'd be suprised if they don't put this in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

On a Sky box the "keep" button only marks a recording. It stops the box, when it has very little room left, from deleting old and valuable kept recordings. On a Sky box, by default, it deletes the oldest recordings without asking, when the hard drive is nearly full. I do not know if it still keeps the "kept" shows when delete everything, but I would suspect that it is unlikely to do this.

Sky boxes have an option, when the hard drive is full, instead of deleting anything, just to stop recording anything and displaying an error. You may miss some newest recordings and then you need to manually make room before more recordings take place.

Needless to say the user interface is a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 derek4567

Upc to launch the new horizon box this weekend and new update as well so I here best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

zg3409 wrote: »
    Needless to say the user interface is a dream.

Have you seen/used the Horizon interface?

Yes I have it about 2 mouth now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

derek4567 wrote: »
    Upc to launch the new horizon box this weekend and new update as well so I here best of luck

Source?

Source?

Upc in did today in blanchardstown he was telling me it mite not just what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

never had a problem with my horizon up till today.....when ive been getting picture but no sound. sound but no picture and no picture and no sound....have upc revealed what the last update did?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

derek4567 wrote: »
    Upc in did today in blanchardstown he was telling me it mite not just what he says
    Officfial launch will be on next Monday 12th of August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    Officfial launch will be on next Monday 12th of August.

That should be a fun week to work in UPC customer service :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement