Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

Seems as though I got an update this morning.
    Now on
    1b-263.05.4h_V 1.28_16777494
    I'm assuming thats shortened to v1.28
    A change log would be great when these happen

Gar

P.s. must check my future recordings..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

liam46 wrote: »
    Need Help!!!!!!!!! I got the horizon box about 2 weeks ago, and the volume up/down will not work on my tvs, I have tried it on a samsung tv enter code 2448 and 2248. The tv will switch off but nothing from the volume, i got sent out another remote and still the same thing. I have tried the pairing with refresh button no joy. I brought the remote to my sisters house and it worked fine on her Lg tv volume worked fine. So remote ok, could the samsung horizon box not work with a samsung tv??????????

I'd imagine the code is incorrect, depending on the model of Samsung TV.
    Have you googled the code for it?
    I'd a horrible time getting the code to stick on the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liam46

its a Samsung 32 le32b530p7w

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

try 2884

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liam46

Tried 2448/2248 and 2884 no joy:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

liam46 wrote: »
    Tried 2448/2248 and 2884 no joy:(

I also have a Samsung , different model, and had a lot of bother pairing the remote initially but got it in the end. Can't recall if it was 2248 or 2448 that worked. However I think my problem was not releasing the button as soon as the TV switched off during the pairing process. Make sure to follow the instructions exactly and not do the man-thing and do your own slight variation of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Folks I know this was covered earlier in the thread but when people like myself

signed up for Horizon at the beginning did we enter into a new contract?Cheers

I didn't enter a new contract when I signed up. I've also just checked the order confirmation they sent when I signed up and it doesn't mention a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I have ordered a Horizon box. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to receive an internet connection through my existing router once I install the box? My router is currently in a different room from where I will be installing the Horizon box and I'd like to keep it that way.

I see someone mentioning 'deconsolidate' earlier in the thread - does this mean that what I want to do is possible? Can I then link the Horizon box to my network via wi-fi?

Synode wrote: »
    I didn't enter a new contract when I signed up. I've also just checked the order confirmation they sent when I signed up and it doesn't mention a new contract.

I was told over the phone that I was entering a new 12 month contract.

Haven't received the box or seen any documentation.

Am considering cancelling anyway as I don't know if I want the Horizon box to act as my router.

I'm pretty sure that a 10 day cooling off period applies as per consumer legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Anyone get an email from UPC today? Basically thanking us for the feedback, and mentioning a new code is being added to the box (?) I assume it means a new software/firmware update?

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Anyone get an email from UPC today? Basically thanking us for the feedback, and mentioning a new code is being added to the box (?) I assume it means a new software/firmware update?

Yeah just got it, could do with saying when it will be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

who_me wrote: »

Yep, just got the mail as well - it's poorly written so not clear but would guess it's some new software on the box (firmware would surely require a reboot meaning disruption to service?)...

You can use the router you already have for your internet. Just ask UPC how exactly to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Is anyone having a problem with their remote? Mine just seems to stop now and then. Even when I press a button, the light under UPC/TV doesn't light up. If I leave it for a while then it will work OK next time I use it. I changed batteries but am now wondering if my remote is duf

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Griffinx wrote: »
    Is anyone having a problem with their remote? Mine just seems to stop now and then. Even when I press a button, the light under UPC/TV doesn't light up. If I leave it for a while then it will work OK next time I use it. I changed batteries but am now wondering if my remote is duf

I had the same problem the batteries supplied don't really fit I put different ones in and havent had the problem since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Griffinx wrote: »

Your Remote is fine that's not what causing the problems with freezing
    It's the horizon hd box software code
    That's the problem and there aware of it
    Awaiting the fix
    Hope it's fixed with the new code been sent to horizon

Really hope they fix it because the remote is becoming an absolute nuisance. It's a deal breaker for me and if not fixed by launch I'll be giving Horizon back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The box is laggy as shíte, so slow browsing the side bar.

Starting to remind me of how sluggish the old NTL boxes were.

V1.28-16777490

Its Now
    V1.28-16777494

490 updated to 494

What was in update not known
    What update fixed unknown and if any new features is unknown
    I have asked them before if they can put on this form or on there website details of updates and what each update has fixed or if any new features to let us know
    We need this information
    So we can see what previous updates had and new features and test if the update has fixed a problem

Synode wrote: »
    You can use the router you already have for your internet. Just ask UPC how exactly to do it.

Yes, called them and that's no problem, but....they want to charge me €45.

We'll see how that works out.

Anyone else asked for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

paulboland wrote: »
    Note you don't need to turn off horizon wifi
    you can have 2 wirelees setups
    You need to turn off the routing and modem functions of your own wireless router and only use its wireless features as horizon cant be set up in bridge mode

You can get around bridge mode by doing this

If you want best performance what you need to do is this
    Your own wireless router
    Set up as wireless access mode only
    most modern wireless routers can do this like Belkin or Netgear or Asus
    If it does not have this feature you will have to get one that does

Wireless Access Mode I have a Belkin N+
    Very easy to set up

What you need to do is this

Specify IP Address
    192.168.192.xxx
    xxx is a number eg 25 or use 254
    not already used by another device so use something from 25 to 254 as I doubt you had 25 ip address already given out by horizon

Subnetmask

For security reasons also make sure you have changed your own wireless router password if its still at default (Note this is not the horizon router)

You can then connect your wireless devices and have better
    wireless range and no drop outs and also another reason is all devices both wired and wireless will be sharing same network
    So you want a dnla device that's connected to other router wireless show up on horizon it will and you can share any music videos etc between devices

If you need any help doing this pm me your details of wireless router model
    and I will check if its possible to use this feature and let you know how to set it up

Note in this setup you connect wired cable from horizon to a lan port of your separate wireless router (Don't connect to the wan port)

Thanks for the info. I read your post last week and was meaning to try it out. I finally got around to it yesterday. I'm not sure if I set it up correctly though. I set my Belkin router to be used as an access point. However, I just kept the default address when asked about the static ip config. It is working but my download speeds are about 10 MB slower than the UPC network and some web pages taking forever to load.

I presume that I was meant to specify a static address that was on the same broadcast domain as the UPC box? The default the belkin box gave me was 192.168.2.254 (UPC was using 192.168.192.x, I think). My only problem now though is locating the admin page for the router so that I can make changes. If I use my current gateway it brings me to the UPC config page. If I browse to to the static address I get page cannot be displayed. Any help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i set up a wireless router yesterday as well.... i know full strength wifi in the bedrooms and have a good wifi in the garden (20-30 foot) so i can enjoy my wifi and the sun (when we have it) at the same time :) i didnt have to change any ip addresses.....i just use the out of the box settings and set it to access point. The horizon box should be offering this so people can enjoy the horizon app in all the rooms in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Anyone else's box stuck in the 50% R Scanning loop find a fix yet????? I've tried everything except taking it apart...

mccard wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I read your post last week and was meaning to try it out. I finally got around to it yesterday. I'm not sure if I set it up correctly though. I set my Belkin router to be used as an access point. However, I just kept the default address when asked about the static ip config. It is working but my download speeds are about 10 MB slower than the UPC network and some web pages taking forever to load.

I presume that I was meant to specify a static address that was on the same broadcast domain as the UPC box? The default the belkin box gave me was 192.168.2.254 (UPC was using 192.168.192.x, I think). My only problem now though is locating the admin page for the router so that I can make changes. If I use my current gateway it brings me to the UPC config page. If I browse to to the static address I get page cannot be displayed. Any help is much appreciated.

You need to make sure the IP address is in the same range of the horizon
    As you have a belkin I can help you out very easy

192.168.192.xxx xxxx been your choice
    Subnet address stays the same on the belkin

Once you give the xxxx a number your belkin router login page will be that new IP address
    Pm me and I will give you more info

Important with belkin best in settings you create your own password for login
    So no one can login on to your belkin router if its still the default as in no password that's not safe

Pm me and I will give you help as I don't want to suggest the xxxx part of your new ip address here for others to see

Also remember you connect a cable from horizon to LAN port of belkin not its yellow wan port
    You will need to have your pc or laptop connected to belkin best by cable for its set up once its done
    You can then choose to connect by wireless or cable

Pm me so I can explain in private
    I'm at work now but be available later around 21.00

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Hello,

I got my box yesterday and so far is working fine.

Anyone knows the default user and pass for the modem settings on 192.168.192.1?
    I may be blind but can't find it...

Thank you,
    Carlos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hello,

I got my box yesterday and so far is working fine.

Anyone knows the default user and pass for the modem settings on 192.168.192.1?
    I may be blind but can't find it...

Thank you,
    Carlos

user: admin

pass: admin

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    user: admin

pass: admin

Thank you very much.

Have a nice long weekend.

Carlos

Donaldo wrote: »
    Thanks Paul, does doing this have any effect on the other devices that are already connected?

No just gives you better choice of devices
    Best is always wpa2
    But some devices can only use wpa
    So by setting to wpa/wpa2 you will have best of both
    Some older devices can only use wpa
    If all your devices use wpa2 then set it to wpa2
    But in your case set it to wpa/wpa2
    Leave wireless mode also at default mixed b/g/n
    If your using wireless g devices and wireless n devices
    Also set to 20mhz only not 20/40
    Also wireless channel choose from 1 or 6 or 11
    Try channel 1 first then try channel 11 to see which gives you best performance

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

I wasn't getting any wifi in the furthest part of the house and changed to these settings. Now I'm getting 8mb/s (60% power) and 17mb/s (100%). Thanks for the prompting PaulBoland. However, my phone still isn't connecting up there...may be the phone.

Wifi.JPG

• Advertisement

i set up a wireless router yesterday as well.... i know full strength wifi in the bedrooms and have a good wifi in the garden (20-30 foot) so i can enjoy my wifi and the sun (when we have it) at the same time :) i didnt have to change any ip addresses.....i just use the out of the box settings and set it to access point. The horizon box should be offering this so people can enjoy the horizon app in all the rooms in the house

Would be great if you told us how you did it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement