Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Achilles wrote: »
    It means that it's updating. Don't interrupt the box when it's updating otherwise you can cause it to have issues.

Thats what I thought at first, but I see this on the box, usually in the morning, on a regular basis. ('ll define this by saying I dont see the box much during the day, but the few mornings that I do (at the weekend) I see them usually one of the two weekend days, and I've no idea if it happens during the week or not)

Yesterday afternoon it was in this "state" for approximately 2 hours before I power cycled the box............
    Surely this regularity of "updates" or length of time taken isn't normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The box will update itself (guide infor etc) after a while of being in standby and then seem to reboot with the lines going accross the front panel. This is expected behaviour so rebooting it at this stage is a bad thing to do.

The box will update itself (guide infor etc) after a while of being in standby and then seem to reboot with the lines going accross the front panel. This is expected behaviour so rebooting it at this stage is a bad thing to do.

Is it expected behaviour that the lines stay on the screen for 2 hours +??

(there's absolutly NO indication to the user - techie or not - that the box is updating, which is a pretty bad design fault tbh...........)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

kippy wrote: »
    Is it expected behaviour that the lines stay on the screen for 2 hours +??

(there's absolutly NO indication to the user - techie or not - that the box is updating, which is a pretty bad design fault tbh...........)

Most of the older boxes did this too and power cycled themselves when not in use.

I don't understand why this is suddenly an issue for you now.

Most of the older boxes did this too and power cycled themselves when not in use.

I don't understand why this is suddenly an issue for you now.

It's an issue for me at the moment as it's happening with far more regularity and at a time that effects someone in my houses' use of the box, it also happened for close to two hours yesterday........
    I appreciate this is a trial and that software may be updated more frequently however:
    1. We are not advised when software is being released.
    2. We are not advised what to expect after the software release.
    3. It is not obvious that the software is updating to any other users........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

2 hours is certainly not normal. It's possible if the box was turned off during a previous update something may have been corrupted and thus preventing future updates from completing. I'd try a factory reset if possible, otherwise contact UPC.

who_me wrote: »
    2 hours is certainly not normal. It's possible if the box was turned off during a previous update something may have been corrupted and thus preventing future updates from completing. I'd try a factory reset if possible, otherwise contact UPC.

Yeah, it doesnt seem "normal" alright, but the box worked since the reboot.
    I'll get around to calling UPC when I have 30 minutes to spare.

What is the most recent version of software that should be on the box?#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

paulboland wrote: »
    Did you do a forced Hard Re-set of the Box its different than a factory reset
    I'm not mentioning how you do it as don't want others trying it as its only meant to be done by UPC
    its takes about 2-3 hours to finish and you must not turn the box off

If you get to welcome screen and its plays the welcome video and then goes no further
    Call UPC they will have to do a full reset not a factory reset but it can only be done at there end
    You just follow there instructions exactly and let them fix it
    If that does not work possible not done right I had this happen with mine the person at upc had to get advice a few times to do the reset correct but in the end got it working

Before you contact upc
    Let the 50% scanning finish its takes a long time it then goes to 70% takes 2-3 hours
    it then starts showing 50% r loading again it takes hours
    DONT AT ANY STAGE TURN THE POWER TO BOX OFF WHILE ITS DONIG 50% SCANNING R OR 50% LOADING R
    only when you get to the box select English and let it complete its normal install it will work or get stuck at welcome screen video as in go no further

Call upc don't try do a forced update let upc do that only
    Factory Reset is ok by user not the Hard Reset that's for UPC only to do

Just to note if UPC get box working for you its settings all are back to default that includes ssid and password both back to there original factory setting and the web login is back to its default settings also you will need to change them to what you want again if you had done this previously

Feel free to pm me the hard reset info but if it involves a button combo when turning on the box I've already done it and nada. The box was left on for about 6 hours yesterday and it just reboots everywhile and again stalls at 50%.

The tech staff were unable to do a reset on it from there end either, while someone is due out tomorrow to take a look and hopefully replace it, I've had my own doubts already and considering switching back to my old HD box which never gave a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

5500 wrote: »
    Feel free to pm me the hard reset info but if it involves a button combo when turning on the box I've already done it and nada. The box was left on for about 6 hours yesterday and it just reboots everywhile and again stalls at 50%.

The tech staff were unable to do a reset on it from there end either, while someone is due out tomorrow to take a look and hopefully replace it, I've had my own doubts already and considering switching back to my old HD box which never gave a problem

If after 6 hours its still like that its wont work let upc come out to replace

The button combo when turning on the box I've already done it

That's the reason for your box stuck that should not have been done if will cause problems if it was originally not let run correct as I take you powered off/on before it got a chance to finish

I GATHER YOU GOOGLED IT OR SOMEONE GAVE YOU THE INFO HOW TO DO A HARD RESET

To others reading this post don't do a hard reset on horizon let UPC do that only from there end

Note Hard reset is not the same as a factory reset
    Only meant to be done by UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

My box up until today was in De consolidated mode and with no wireless/phone or devices added.

Today box has phone, wireless and a PC linked via ethernet but not set up to scan.

In 3 hours 2 resets after stalls and to error codes.

Confirms what I expected, other that UI design there are still plenty of issues with this box.

• Advertisement

MAJJ wrote: »
    My box up until today was in De consolidated mode and with no wireless/phone or devices added.

Today box has phone, wireless and a PC linked via ethernet but not set up to scan.

In 3 hours 2 resets after stalls and to error codes.

Confirms what I expected, other that UI design there are still plenty of issues with this box.

If anyone get box freezing using the remote or other reason for freeze can you contact UPC and let them know what has happened
    Best if you tell them all you have done don't leave anything out
    If your using the Media Functions to play a film or music track from your PC and then the box freezes let them know

Edit for wireless problems possible solution if you can afford or already have a separate wireless router that has the ability to be set up as a wireless access point this can solve any connection problems you may have and give you better wireless
    Yes I know you should not have to do this but its an option you have if you want to use a separate wireless router (It must have the ability to be used as a wireless access point )

Its going live soon so its better you contact them direct if you have any problems and if you also have any wireless problems important tell them what type of device your connecting by wireless as for example are you having a problem with apple devices
    This form is great but if any of you have a problem please tell upc direct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

They know where to find us it's a trial. Have formally reported some issues thanks to a boards user who posted a
    link

Have also responded to a recent request for survey feedback.

They really either don't care or are clueless or perhaps don't want to show their hand but there has been no structure to this trial and poor communication through out.

That said it can only get better or has to for main stream use.
    If anyone get box freezing using the remote or other reason for freeze can you contact UPC and let them know what has happened
    Best if you tell them all you have done don't leave anything out
    If your using the Media Functions to play a film or music track from your PC and then the box freezes let them know

Edit for wireless problems possible solution if you can afford or already have a separate wireless router that has the ability to be set up as a wireless access point this can solve any connection problems you may have and give you better wireless
    Yes I know you should not have to do this but its an option you have if you want to use a separate wireless router (It must have the ability to be used as a wireless access point )

Its going live soon so its better you contact them direct if you have any problems and if you also have any wireless problems important tell them what type of device your connecting by wireless as for example are you having a problem with apple devices
    This form is great but if any of you have a problem please tell upc direct

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If after 6 hours its still like that its wont work let upc come out to replace

The button combo when turning on the box I've already done it

That's the reason for your box stuck that should not have been done if will cause problems if it was originally not let run correct as I take you powered off/on before it got a chance to finish

I GATHER YOU GOOGLED IT OR SOMEONE GAVE YOU THE INFO HOW TO DO A HARD RESET

To others reading this post don't do a hard reset on horizon let UPC do that only from there end

Note Hard reset is not the same as a factory reset
    Only meant to be done by UPC

No I didn't Google it, UPC gave me the info on how to do it over the phone because they were unable to connect themselfs to the box.

I never plugged the box out from when I received it, it rebooted itself a few times over a number or days which ended up with it just showing scanning R on Saturday night, it wasn't until I called them on Sunday that it was switched off so its obviously just a faulty box

5500 wrote: »
    No I didn't Google it, UPC gave me the info on how to do it over the phone because they were unable to connect themselfs to the box.

I never plugged the box out from when I received it, it rebooted itself a few times over a number or days which ended up with it just showing scanning R on Saturday night, it wasn't until I called them on Sunday that it was switched off so its obviously just a faulty box

Ok they should not have told you to do that as hard reset only meant to be done from upc its sends a signal to box for correct reset
    They should have tried again to connect to the box or sent out someone
    At least you will be getting a new horizon box hope it all goes well for you
    and you have a working horizon box to enjoy and use

Just to let you all know, UPC have contacted me via PM looking for further information on the issue I mentioned above (most recently). I will let you know how this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Just to alert you all , you are in for quite a bit of pain for those of you who self installed the Horizon solution should you choose to come off it.

I was told yesterday by technical team I could swap around my old box and all would be okay. Customer services insisted on sending an engineer to collect the box even though I insisted this was a waste of time and a courier could do.

Anyhow got home, swapped around boxes and it didnt work. ( My broadband router is still the original and separate already after previous issues.)

Presuming it was a simple backend process I rang this morning and after 25mins, Tech support are now insisting it needs a engineer visit. That seems completely mad given that the switch over to it was all done remotely by phone.

They aint making it easy

Update: Loyalty team have been on to me and reckon I am right and it can be done remotely, will know this evening when I get home!

redman wrote: »
    Just to alert you all , you are in for quite a bit of pain for those of you who self installed the Horizon solution should you choose to come off it.

I was told yesterday by technical team I could swap around my old box and all would be okay. Customer services insisted on sending an engineer to collect the box even though I insisted this was a waste of time and a courier could do.

Anyhow got home, swapped around boxes and it didnt work. ( My broadband router is still the original and separate already after previous issues.)

Presuming it was a simple backend process I rang this morning and after 25mins, Tech support are now insisting it needs a engineer visit. That seems completely mad given that the switch over to it was all done remotely by phone.

They aint making it easy

Unfortunately half of the fvckwits you talk to on the phone haven't a clue how their own processes or internal procedures work.

I have it from a reliable source that a lot of their previously NTL run call centres haven't exactly got fantastic training facilities etc.

Curiously enough anybody I get through to in a previously Chorus owned call centre always seems to be on the ball.

In any case I'd recommend that you ask to speak to a supervisor to have this issue resolved as most are level headed and willing to sort things out.

Just remember that (Speaking as a former phone monkey here) that no matter how frustrating the situation becomes please try and stay calm with the agents on the other end of the line as they're just doing as they're told... and they're people too with feelings.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that when talking to a company as you just see the person that you're talking to as an extension of the company itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Unfortunately half of the fvckwits you talk to on the phone haven't a clue how their own processes or internal procedures work.

I have it from a reliable source that a lot of their previously NTL run call centres haven't exactly got fantastic training facilities etc.

Curiously enough anybody I get through to in a previously Chorus owned call centre always seems to be on the ball.

In any case I'd recommend that you ask to speak to a supervisor to have this issue resolved as most are level headed and willing to sort things out.

Just remember that (Speaking as a former phone monkey here) that no matter how frustrating the situation becomes please try and stay calm with the agents on the other end of the line as they're just doing as they're told... and they're people too with feelings.

Sometimes it's hard to remember that when talking to a company as you just see the person that you're talking to as an extension of the company itself.

Yes Achilles, you right with staying calm ;-) my view is life is too short to waste time and cancelling is sometimes the only route for sanity... anyhow if I was Magnus I wouldnt be happy with the potential cost of needless technical call outs by skilled engineers.... thankfully I seem to have gotten a good person in there to sort me out and to be fair the Talk 2 O2 on here are responsive and helpful

See? All it takes sometimes is to talk to somebody that else that hates their job just a little bit less than you hate their service, haha.

Part of a trial is the call center staff learning how to deal with specific issues also. You cant expect them to know how to perfectly deal with issues with a brand new box with brand new processes and brand new issues they have never come across before.

So no, a lot of them wont have a clue, but that to be expected, PM the Reps here if you think you're getting the runaround or things arent going as smoothly as you would like.

• Advertisement

Got a call in the past while from an Engineer.
    They are replacing the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

My WiFi range has gotten really poor the last week. I think I'm going to deconsolidate the box as my old router was great.

Synode wrote: »
    My WiFi range has gotten really poor the last week. I think I'm going to deconsolidate the box as my old router was great.

You could do that but make sure there isn't another reason for it first. Yes the range is a little poorer on the new box but if it was fine previously with Horizon then there's a reason that it's not stronger now.

My guess is a new network has shown up in the area on the same or similar frequency to your Horizon box.

If you have a smartphone download a wifi analyser app so that you can get a picture of the state of the 2.4Ghz spectrum in your house, go to the room you want to receive Horizon in and see how weak the signal gets. You should also be able to tell which channel has the lowest noise in that room - changing Horizon to this wireless frequency should really help in that instance.

It's a pity the Horizon box doesn't have the ability to connect an external wifi antenna, there are some high gain antennas that you can purchase that would really help in this instance.

Do you reckon UPC would be opposed to me soldering a new antenna onto the box's motherboard? :P

You could do that but make sure there isn't another reason for it first. Yes the range is a little poorer on the new box but if it was fine previously with Horizon then there's a reason that it's not stronger now.

My guess is a new network has shown up in the area on the same or similar frequency to your Horizon box.

If you have a smartphone download a wifi analyser app so that you can get a picture of the state of the 2.4Ghz spectrum in your house, go to the room you want to receive Horizon in and see how weak the signal gets. You should also be able to tell which channel has the lowest noise in that room - changing Horizon to this wireless frequency should really help in that instance.

It's a pity the Horizon box doesn't have the ability to connect an external wifi antenna, there are some high gain antennas that you can purchase that would really help in this instance.

Do you reckon UPC would be opposed to me soldering a new antenna onto the box's motherboard? :P

Do you reckon UPC would be opposed to me soldering a new antenna onto the box's motherboard
    LOL

UPC have updated there EPG and removed Espn America and Espn Classic
    Sky also have done the same

On a funny note depending on your sense of humour in regards to UPC
    UPC channel 100 still advertising ESPN as part of Select Extra and Max packs
    Someone at UPC forgot to update the info videos lol

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Nat type on xbox keeps changing with horizon box
    ive opened the ports and dmz the ip for the xbox
    sometimes it will open then I sign in load a game and it signs me back out and in
    then its back to moderate
    real annoying
    not getting the 100mb as promised and one box for everything is a nitemare
    if one goes they all go bb/tv & phone

Nat type on xbox keeps changing with horizon box
    ive opened the ports and dmz the ip for the xbox
    sometimes it will open then I sign in load a game and it signs me back out and in
    then its back to moderate
    real annoying
    not getting the 100mb as promised and one box for everything is a nitemare
    if one goes they all go bb/tv & phone

Enable UPNP on the Horizon box itself. Should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liam46

Need Help!!!!!!!!! I got the horizon box about 2 weeks ago, and the volume up/down will not work on my tvs, I have tried it on a samsung tv enter code 2448 and 2248. The tv will switch off but nothing from the volume, i got sent out another remote and still the same thing. I have tried the pairing with refresh button no joy. I brought the remote to my sisters house and it worked fine on her Lg tv volume worked fine. So remote ok, could the samsung horizon box not work with a samsung tv??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Folks I know this was covered earlier in the thread but when people like myself

signed up for Horizon at the beginning did we enter into a new contract?Cheers

• Advertisement

liam46 wrote: »
    So remote ok, could the samsung horizon box not work with a samsung tv??????????

Volume up/down function has absolutly and utterly no association with the horizon box. None. At all.

What model Samsung TV's are you trying to pair it with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement