Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

KenH wrote: »
    I wasn't getting any wifi in the furthest part of the house and changed to these settings. Now I'm getting 8mb/s (60% power) and 17mb/s (100%). Thanks for the prompting PaulBoland. However, my phone still isn't connecting up there...may be the phone.

Wifi.JPG
    Are you using any wireless g devices if you are change to mixed 802.11g/802.11n
    Bandwidth change to 20 Mhz only
    Leave power at 100
    also try channel 11

Also you can change your ssid name
    some wireless devices don't like long ssid names
    change it to something short and your password to something not to long either use a mix of letters and numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Synode wrote: »
    Would be great if you told us how you did it

paul was giving me advice on it...but i just plugged in the new router...inserted the cd and then just changed from router to access point and it works fine...only thing is now i can not access the router to make changes to the router but i think that is because when you pick access point it just acts as a wifi extender and you use the horizon to make all changes

Anyone notice there broadband has gone from 50mb to 100-150mb on Horizon
    My package now says Horizon Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb
    but is in really 150mb

I noticed this today when I got home
    I also after yesterdays update I did power off/on the horizon to do a test
    If this is a free upgrade I'm very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

paulboland wrote: »
    Are you using any wireless g devices if you are change to mixed 802.11g/802.11n
    Bandwidth change to 20 Mhz only
    Leave power at 100
    also try channel 11

I had tried those settings and got better reception with the ones I have. The power is good enough at 60% (it makes no speed difference where wifi is mostly used).

KenH wrote: »
    I had tried those settings and got better reception with the ones I have. The power is good enough at 60% (it makes no speed difference where wifi is mostly used).
    What type of phone you using is it a iPhone

To get good wifi using a separate wireless router in wireless access mode is better as the horizon wifi not great especially for apple devices
    you get better range if you use a wireless router set up like that
    I can explain how to set it up
    but your own wireless router needs to have the ability to be set up as a access point only mode
    Belkin Wireless N+
    Asus and buffalo are best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

but is in really 150mb

no :(

no :(
    I have it how I got it I don't know but I'm not complaining

Anyone who wants good wireless if you can afford it use a separate wireless router if it can be setup in wireless access mode

Wired connection horizon is great but you can get great wireless if you use a separate wireless router
    I'm off to bed guys if any of you want help getting better wireless pm me on Monday as I off then
    Especially if you use apple devices like iPhone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

but is in really 150mb

Yeah, I am the very same. I am on the 100mb package and yet am getting 150mb throughput. I noticed this about a week ago, but thought it was a glitch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

The Horizon box has got a bit of bad press here - and I contributed in that vein early on as I lost the final episode of 'Apprentice' (glad now) and a couple of 'recorded ' but 'lost' recordings of a number of Tour of France race days.

I am very weak technically-wise and to hear people here talking about independent routers, IP addresses, X Boxes and 50% scanning scenarios just scares me to bits.

A couple of months ago I got the 'trial' box delivered.

I plugged it in, attached what I thought should be attached.

What I have is very simple- a Toshiba 'smart' TV, a phone and a samsung sound bar. Wifi.

But we also have a PC, 2 iphones and an Ipad in the house.

Within minutes once the passwords were input -all were were working perfectly all around the house - and the ipad operating in the back garden allowing me to watch a bit of sport ( with a beer:)).

The PC and Ipad made it possible last night for 3 different people to watch 3 different programmes using the UPC app on the IPAD and logging on to UPC on the PC.

Just as a trial I recorded 3 programmes at the same time earlier today and it worked.

I have had none of the drop times mentioned by many others here with sidebars /menus appearing on screen and at no time have I lost availabiltiy to any station.

Early on the was a 'sticking' problem with the back button - but that seems to have been rectified.

Overall I am very happy with the product - but maybe it's becuae I don't need the level of sophistication that others want:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I just noticed something about the Horizon TV box. I have a program installed on my PS3 called Showtime (it's a program that can only be run on jailbroken PS3s). I was going to play something from my media server when I noticed that the UPC box is broadcasting itself as a media server twice. One seems to be for rented on demand stuff and the other seems to pertain to functions of the TV unit itself.

I was able to browse to various locations and get full channel listings from the EPG and from my own recordings but none of these would actually play.

See pics attached. It would be fantastic if I actually COULD stream this content over my home network. It's make the fiancé very happy anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Cannot see the Guinness tap in those images:)

Horizon working ok since the latest update V1.28-16777494
    I have not had any problems from Saturday Night that I can see or have noticed
    Fully working with no problems
    I would love to know what was in the update we need full information on what updates give us and what the updates fix
    Hope I'm not speaking to soon and problems re appear but its much better now
    Just curious have other horizon users noticed its much better
    If not what problems you still having or any new problems I might not have noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Horizon working ok since the latest update V1.28-16777494
    ... what problems you still having or any new problems I might not have noticed

I got the Horizon box just 2-3 weeks ago and in general it's worked fine. One problem I do have though is with the picture juddering and freezing, while the audio continues to work fine. I called upc and they 'boosted' the signal to me but that's had no effect. I know it happens all the time on Sky Sports, because that's the channel I've been watching most on the Horizon. I can get around it by switching channels and then going back to the one I was watching.

Has anyone else had this recently? Occasionally, but much more rarely, it will freeze completely and I have to switch it off and reboot.

Just wonder if there's a fix before I speak to upc again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Noticed tonight that the ok button for selecting channels from the guide is not working on all channels???
    Can select via number pad but not via ok button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Couple of things that have gone wrong over the last couple of days.

1) clicking on record on a program selecting it from the guide, it will confirm and then go to a holding screen, looks like it should be displaying an option to select.
    I have it a couple of second and then pressed menu or back both cleared the screen no problem.

2) and this is a couple of time happening is the recorded program has recorded fine at the start, but a couple of seconds in will have frozen no audio frozen picture, then start recording again.

Have being lucky and have not missed much, more an annoying panic of ahhh balls this hasn't recorded.

The remote can be a bit funny.
    No being responsive or not operating.
    The keyboard has being synced but using it the space bar sometimes doesn't work, and if I press enter it will type A instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Still having a problem with the remote - not responding, lagging, needing a few hits of 'OK' to work. Might ring up to get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Hendrickp

I apologise in advance if this has already been covered in this thread but i'll ask anyway as i cant find the answer.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to change the day on the TV guide of the new Horizon Box. On the old box you had to option to hit the blue button and the days of the week would drop down for choosing, i cant seem to find this option anywhere. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭MrVestek

keps wrote: »
    Cannot see the Guinness tap in those images:)

What?

Hendrickp wrote: »
    I apologise in advance if this has already been covered in this thread but i'll ask anyway as i cant find the answer.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to change the day on the TV guide of the new Horizon Box. On the old box you had to option to hit the blue button and the days of the week would drop down for choosing, i cant seem to find this option anywhere. Thanks

That feature is not yet available but I was told there is plans for this to become available using the colour buttons red green yellow blue
    The Horizon is still in development stage in all countries
    When this feature become available they will let us know
    Its planned along with other features not yet available some we have seen before on the digital + box and new features not seen before
    I asked when we getting these features the truth is they don't know a date yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Hendrickp wrote: »

Incredibly the designers didn't think of this very important feature before release. They were too busy making the system look fancy rather than making it useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Hendrickp

That feature is not yet available but I was told there is plans for this to become available using the colour buttons red green yellow blue
    Its planned along with other features not yet available some we have seen before on the digital + box and new features not seen before

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

I've only just received the new box and so far thats the only obvious problem i can find at the minute, i'm pretty happy with the box as a whole but this issue seems like a very poor omission from UPC for such an advanced new box. Hopefully we'll get this in the next update.

Thanks again

I wonder why they don't have a date? Horizon has been around for quite a while now, it was in some European countries before it even made it to Ireland. In all of that time they never got around to adding a piece of functionality that is so basic and core to the useability of a PVR. It's not like this functionality wasn't in the old box either!

This just smacks of bad design and bad project management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I get the impression that they are constantly re-adding stuff too it.
    See what feature we are missing the most.
    But start with building the fancy system and adding functions all the time.
    The fancy features are the ones that take all the work building from UPC's end and fault finding from ours.

It would be nice to have control of the day, not a feature I overly miss as I hated the old UPC guide as it was slow to load up, so never really gave it much time.

But I am wondering is it gone because if you search a program or keyword it will throw you out a list of possible programs weeks in advance for you too remind/record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You can scroll forward a good few days on the EGP. There's just no button to jump to a day yet.

I log into horizon.tv if I want to record something a few days away as it lets you jump to a day there

You can scroll forward a good few days on the EGP. There's just no button to jump to a day yet.

I log into horizon.tv if I want to record something a few days away as it lets you jump to a day there

No one said you couldn't scroll ahead.

If you're watching TV on Friday and something is advertised for the following Wednesday you shouldn't have to either log on to PC or laptop to make a recording or scroll through 4 or 5 days worth of programs on the box to set a series link recording. It's bad design for a PVR, that cannot be denied.

SteM wrote: »

If you're watching TV on Friday and something is advertised for the following Wednesday you shouldn't have to either log on to PC or laptop to make a recording or scroll through 4 or 5 days worth of programs on the box to set a series link recording. It's bad design for a PVR, that cannot be denied.

I never said they did. I just outlined what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

SteM wrote: »

A bad design???????

Its a mega Catastrofcuk. Seriously annoying, not to mention its causing my better half to get angry with me on a regular basis over this box.

The design is great, they just need to iron out some of the issues we are giving feedback on. Let's not forget this box has not been launched yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Let's not forget this box has not been launched yet

People are saying this a lot.
    It's been around 18+ months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement