Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Your remote control look like that (on page 13)

My Horizon control is nothing like that....

Thats.the.old remote . The source.button is between the.tv and box button on your remote its three second button from the top

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Sin City wrote: »
    Thats.the.old remote .

The source.button is between the.tv and box button on your remote its three second button from the top

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

keps wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

108fw21.png

Its the middle button on the top row of three buttons.

You can download the user manual for the horizon box from the UPC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

paulboland wrote: »
    Set wifi security to WPA/WPA2

Thanks Paul, does doing this have any effect on the other devices that are already connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

I know its been mentioned a few times but has anyone had a solid solution to the box sticking at 50% scanning R?
    I called customer service and had no joy doing a factory reset,I've left it for over 2 hours and Im still on 50%, they cant get anyone out to me untill late on Wednesday and I'm already down since Saturday night so If anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Is anyone having problems with AirPlay on Apple TV from iPhone/iPad since getting the horizion box? Half the time the icon doesn't even show up on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Is anyone having problems with AirPlay on Apple TV from iPhone/iPad since getting the horizion box? Half the time the icon doesn't even show up on my phone.

yes, much less reliable than it was with the old box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

nakano3153 wrote: »
    yes, much less reliable than it was with the old box.

Any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

How are people finding the Horizon iphone app?

It seems next to useless at the moment. The TV Guide takes forever to load, if at all, and remote recording of programmes is very problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The biggest problem that I have with the app is that it's not available on Android yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 fergie087

The Horizon Box was on trial(IN IRELAND) to a number of subscribers (I'm not sure if it was on a first call got it) one which I was. I have the box for over 3 months now find it very good.Can record 4 channels at once while watching another chanell.Also sets up nicely with a home network where I can watch movies I have recorded from different sources.Had a few teething problems but they all seemed to have ironed out now.A fine setup and I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Achilles wrote: »
    The biggest problem that I have with the app is that it's not available on Android yet.

I was talking to a support chap and he said there was either going to be an announcement or a release on the 12th of august.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

malki wrote: »
    I received new horizon box last week, so far so good- I have one annoying recurring problem- Most evenings the picture on the BBC1 freezes but the sound is OK. I got the signal refreshed but the problem still persists . Has anyone got any ideas how I can resolve this problem?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056579482&page=199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Failed to record this evening

error code: 4003

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm sure the mods will give you a fool's pardon (based on this being your first post in boards.ie) for creating a new thread instead of joining an existing thread which has almost 3,000 posts and where if your post drifts off off the last page, you can expect zero responses.

The Horizon box needs about six distinct threads in this forum given the amount of functionality that's been embedded in one box but for the moment it's confined to a thread that has become one big skip.

The hijacking of this thread to make a rather sarcastic dig at the moderators isn't appreciated. Yes we're aware that the Horizon thread has kind of grown unwieldy at this stage. The problem is that this is still a product that officially at least, still isn't available to the man on the street. I don't want multiple threads about a product that hasn't launched overrunning the forum.

Suggestions about what we can do to square that are appreciated. Digs at the moderators are not. Until then, thread merged.

My box got an update today. Seems to be alot more responsive now, there doesn't seem to be any lag with the remote anymore.

If yours hasn't gotten an update yet try and update it manually. If I remember right off the top of my head it's now at software version 1.04.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

Agreed the app needs a makeover. often won't remotely record when outside the house. I hope the Aug 12 update or whatever fixes this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭seanie27

My box got an update today. Seems to be alot more responsive now, there doesn't seem to be any lag with the remote anymore.

If yours hasn't gotten an update yet try and update it manually. If I remember right off the top of my head it's now at software version 1.04.

Mine's at 1.28 now... if I'm reading it correctly of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Can anyone tell me how I'd go about getting the Horizon box? Do I just call UPC up and ask or do I have to wait until this trial run is over??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭daherlihy

... any ideas on what the update does? I've not noticed it yet, must do it manually this evening

• Advertisement

There has been no new updates
    V1.28-16777490 is the latest came out about 2-3 weeks ago

Every day there is updates mostly at night sometimes during the day and some days no updates
    There only guide updates or channels updates

There is a Software as in firmware update soon though but don't have a release date that's confirmed or what features it will have or fix

paulboland wrote: »
    There has been no new updates
    V1.28-16777490 is the latest came out about 2-3 weeks ago

Every day there is updates mostly at night sometimes during the day and some days no updates
    There only guide updates or channels updates

There is a update soon though but don't have a release date that's confirmed or what features it will have or fix

I must go back and check the version number again as my memory obviously isn't great for that kinda stuff.

The box as of yesterday though is much more responsive than it has ever been. The only difference being that it's gone through it's usual nightly updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭ted1

5500 wrote: »
    I know its been mentioned a few times but has anyone had a solid solution to the box sticking at 50% scanning R?
    I called customer service and had no joy doing a factory reset,I've left it for over 2 hours and Im still on 50%, they cant get anyone out to me untill late on Wednesday and I'm already down since Saturday night so If anyone

a new box was the only thing that resolved this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Folks -I've looked through the thread but cant find an obvious guide. Has anyone managed to get a third party router (old UPC Cisco one) working with the Horizon box. I'm finding the range very poor on the horizon box and its hit and miss when using airplay

5500 wrote: »

Did you do a forced Hard Re-set of the Box its different than a factory reset
    I'm not mentioning how you do it as don't want others trying it as its only meant to be done by UPC
    its takes about 2-3 hours to finish and you must not turn the box off

If you get to welcome screen and its plays the welcome video and then goes no further
    Call UPC they will have to do a full reset not a factory reset but it can only be done at there end
    You just follow there instructions exactly and let them fix it
    If that does not work possible not done right I had this happen with mine the person at upc had to get advice a few times to do the reset correct but in the end got it working

Before you contact upc
    Let the 50% scanning finish its takes a long time it then goes to 70% takes 2-3 hours
    it then starts showing 50% r loading again it takes hours
    DONT AT ANY STAGE TURN THE POWER TO BOX OFF WHILE ITS DONIG 50% SCANNING R OR 50% LOADING R
    only when you get to the box select English and let it complete its normal install it will work or get stuck at welcome screen video as in go no further

Call upc don't try do a forced update let upc do that only
    Factory Reset is ok by user not the Hard Reset that's for UPC only to do

Just to note if UPC get box working for you its settings all are back to default that includes ssid and password both back to there original factory setting and the web login is back to its default settings also you will need to change them to what you want again if you had done this previously

s8n wrote: »
    Folks -I've looked through the thread but cant find an obvious guide. Has anyone managed to get a third party router (old UPC Cisco one) working with the Horizon box. I'm finding the range very poor on the horizon box and its hit and miss when using airplay

You can use another router but (not a previous upc router)
    Belkin/Netgear/Asus Wireless routers
    Any wireless router best its wirelees n
    that has the function to set the router as a Wireless Access Point only
    Set your own wireless router in wireless access mode
    You then can use your own router for wireless connection to devices best to do this if you have apple devices

You connect the Horizon to one of the lan ports of your own router not its wan port
    You must have the ability to set your router in wireless access mode

Works great it want good wireless range and no drop outs and have a apple device

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Well after months of the trial, enough is enough after losing more set up to record items and other annoyances in basic TV watching.

It'll no doubt be a great product when its working right but too frustrating for us now.

Back to the old box and continue with the great Broadband service for the moment and reexamine out options around TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Every now and again I see two sets of broken horizontal lines move from side to side across the LCD display on the box. The box is usually unresponsive at this time and a hard reboot is needed to sort it out.
    What does these lines indicate?

kippy wrote: »
    Every now and again I see two sets of broken horizontal lines move from side to side across the LCD display on the box. The box is usually unresponsive at this time and a hard reboot is needed to sort it out.
    What does these lines indicate?

It means that it's updating. Don't interrupt the box when it's updating otherwise you can cause it to have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

It means that it's updating. Don't interrupt the box when it's updating otherwise you can cause it to have issues.

I knew this. But it's a key piece of information that many might not know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement