Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Marshall in for a superb try and the sound of the floodgates opening....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dagg has really come into world class form again in the last month. Back to his best. About time too with 4N around the corner.

Marshall in for a superb try and the sound of the floodgates opening....:D

In common rugby parlance, the Reds are risking a pasting.

65 mins and the return of the "King" and Crotty in for try number two! 35-9 :D

38-9 full time! I love a real close game. :D

• Advertisement

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose. Hands up if you're a Wallaby supporter, and you're feeling confident about McKenzie taking the reins? Reds blown off the park there, never at the races. Reds' star players looked really fatigued, no doubt a hangover from the Lions series.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Plus ça change plus c'est la même chose. Hands up if you're a Wallaby supporter, and you're feeling confident about McKenzie taking the reins? Reds blown off the park there, never at the races. Reds' star players looked really fatigued, no doubt a hangover from the Lions series.

Don't really think McKenzie has had as much involvement as he did in the past. Don't even know if he's doing the DoC job as much any more.

And they've gotten rid of the Head coach haven't they?

Don't really think McKenzie has had as much involvement as he did in the past. Don't even know if he's doing the DoC job as much any more.

Yeah, you're right (of course ;) ) I think McKenzie was more "Director of Rugby" akin to Rob Andrew for England, and another bloke was the actual coach.

Highlights for .ak, who no doubt "had to work again", when the Saders were playing. That or he was too lazy to get up for the match...

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-All-tries-38-9-Crusaders-V-Reds-Super-Rugby-playoffs-2013-AMI-Stadium-Christchurch/tabid/317/articleID/305717/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yeah, you're right (of course ;) ) I think McKenzie was more "Director of Rugby" akin to Rob Andrew for England, and another bloke was the actual coach.

I don't even think he was doing a Director of Rugby position, which is normally like an exceutive coach. I'm not sure though. It was very weird and he spent most of his time as Director of Coaching talking about all the other jobs he wanted to take.

I am interested to see how he'll get on with Oz. I'm sure you are as well! :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't even think he was doing a Director of Rugby position, which is normally like an executive coach. I'm not sure though. It was very weird and he spent most of his time as Director of Coaching talking about all the other jobs he wanted to take.

I am interested to see how he'll get on with Oz. I'm sure you are as well! :pac:

I genuinely hope Australia improve v the ABs. I never like losing, of course, but the Bledisloe has almost become boring it has been so predictable during the Deans reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I genuinely hope Australia improve v the ABs. I never like losing, of course, but the Bledisloe has almost become boring it has been so predictable during the Deans reign.

Ya, it's a bit of a worry to see the Aussies falling so badly, even the Scots managed to do a number on them a year back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Highlights for .ak, who no doubt "had to work again", when the Saders were playing. That or he was too lazy to get up for the match...

http://www.3news.co.nz/VIDEO-All-tries-38-9-Crusaders-V-Reds-Super-Rugby-playoffs-2013-AMI-Stadium-Christchurch/tabid/317/articleID/305717/Default.aspx

Lazy / hungover.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Christ it was toothless stuff from the Reds. Pack was absolutely dominated. Over 11 turnovers conceded, not sure what it finished at, Genia was given no platform and couldn't work his magic, nor could Cooper. At the same time the Crusaders were playing as though they were the All Blacks. Such confidence and ruthlessness, more vintage stuff from Dan, the series just before HT was simply magical, deserved a try. Only the Bulls can stop them now I think, and I expect they'll get a shot at them.

For those of us who don't like waking up at 7am, there's a great youtube channel that will have any game up by the time you wake up, top quality, as if you had sky+: http://www.youtube.com/user/KostazHD

Tomorrow's game is really interesting in itself, but neither team has much of a chance to win the whole thing. Brumbies should nick it, Jake White had some interesting comments about the Cheetahs, and said that they weren't half as entertaining/enterprising as they're made out to be and that they kick a lot and hope teams make mistakes. And honestly, he's not wrong. We haven't scored that many tries this year, and the while a few times in the match they go on a wild offload spree or Willie Le Roux decides it's time to do something, there is a lot of kicking. So many Cheetahs results have been aided by charge-downs and intercepts, not exactly enterprising, more luck. We did throw it around a lot in Australia and New Zealand though early in the competition, which is the reason for this reputation. Cheetahs have been far more pragmatic since then though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

My first, and only, Super rugby game was the Crusaders v Bulls in Jade Stadium on 17th March 2007. It was an evening kick off so with that date I can't remember a huge amount about it but it was a fairly one sided game. None of the AB's were playing due to them being rested before the 2007 RWC (I'd seen Nonu, Smith, Umaga, Jane, and Leinsters new signing Gopperth playing NPC with Wellington the previous season when I lived in Wellington though). The game was bizarre as it had a big crowd, but a quiet crowd. People don't have to chant or sing or whatever to make noise but I remember a lack of even talking! Plus we were sitting beside two teenagers who didn't even like rugby but were there due to their youth officer taking them out of the detention/housing scheme for the day lol. They didn't really like me and my mate talking to them, obviously we'd had a beer or two at this stage so that didn't phase us!

Ever since then the Super comp has kinda left me a bit cold. I'd still watch a game every now and again, mainly Kiwi teams though as I suppose I can relate. In Christchurch there was this bar that had a near cinema size projector type thing that we'd go watch a game on. It was great as it had, like you would in a stadium, tiered seating. Now that place had a good atmosphere on game day. I think it didn't survive the earthquakes though.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    My first, and only, Super rugby game was the Crusaders v Bulls in Jade Stadium on 17th March 2007. It was an evening kick off so with that date I can't remember a huge amount about it but it was a fairly one sided game. None of the AB's were playing due to them being rested before the 2007 RWC (I'd seen Nonu, Smith, Umaga, Jane, and Leinsters new signing Gopperth playing NPC with Wellington the previous season when I lived in Wellington though). The game was bizarre as it had a big crowd, but a quiet crowd. People don't have to chant or sing or whatever to make noise but I remember a lack of even talking! Plus we were sitting beside two teenagers who didn't even like rugby but were there due to their youth officer taking them out of the detention/housing scheme for the day lol. They didn't really like me and my mate talking to them, obviously we'd had a beer or two at this stage so that didn't phase us!

Ever since then the Super comp has kinda left me a bit cold. I'd still watch a game every now and again, mainly Kiwi teams though as I suppose I can relate. In Christchurch there was this bar that had a near cinema size projector type thing that we'd go watch a game on. It was great as it had, like you would in a stadium, tiered seating. Now that place had a good atmosphere on game day. I think it didn't survive the earthquakes though.

Was never a fan of Jade Stadium. The earthquake was a tragedy, but one positive is that a new purpose built rugby stadium will be built in town (separate cricket stadium to be built), covered, and should be better. Unfortunately, TV dictates that rugby is played in the evening in NZ, rather than the traditional afternoon games.

The quality of the rugby is usually good in the SXV, certainly the Crusaders were utterly ruthless last night, I would have no doubts whatsoever that that performance would have won a HEC final, but I agree that the fanatical way many provinces (especially Irish) follow their HEC teams is more compelling. I'm predicting a Bulls v Crusaders final in Pretoria, and that should be test-match like in intensity, the Bulls have some of the most savage supporters in world rugby, and that's savage in the traditional sense of the word.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah the walk out to the stadium was bad but the walk back was even worse (queues were forming for bars at this time of night so you know yourself!).

It's a difference between the fans all right in how they support their teams. The All Blacks are very much the No.1 team in NZ whereas in Ireland a bit of a divide has occurred between the provinces and the national team. When I was over there a very sad fact was that when the All Blacks lost domestic abuse levels rose, awful really but that's how seriously they take it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah the walk out to the stadium was bad but the walk back was even worse (queues were forming for bars at this time of night so you know yourself!).

It's a difference between the fans all right in how they support their teams. The All Blacks are very much the No.1 team in NZ whereas in Ireland a bit of a divide has occurred between the provinces and the national team. When I was over there a very sad fact was that when the All Blacks lost domestic abuse levels rose, awful really but that's how seriously they take it.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Rugby's only a game! The new stadium will be right in the centre of town (where all stadia should be IMO), rather than out in the 'burbs.

You're right though, having lived in the south of the Republic there would definitely be a few Munster fans who care more for a HEC victory than an Irish 6N triumph for example, whereas ABs are definitely king in NZ.

Yeah it is a different culture in that I remember when I got over there first how many ads or how prominent the All Blacks were. This was just from walking down main street Wellington.

I too spent some time in the South, I'm actually leaving in the South East now. I do remember doing a work placement in Shannon as part of my college course and one day I wore a top with a Leinster insignia on it. Some guy in a different dept. went a little nuts on it and had a right go at me for wearing such a top, this was about 2004. Being the work placement student I could do no more than take it but frankly now I'm a much more experienced Engineer that if anyone spoke to anyone in my Dept., let alone me, like that I'd call them out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

What did he say to you? Bizarre!

• Advertisement

Frankly it was very bizarre but yeah he called me a Ladyboy and said how much he hated Leinster (no reason given why) how pathetic Leinster where and how insulting it was that I wore a Leinster insignia top in Shannon. Frankly it was a bit of a rant as he'd come up from his dept. and stood in the middle of mine to have a go at me.

At the time being new (I'd only been in the company a week or two I think, possibly less) to the company and knowing I shouldn't get fired without it effecting my degree graduation (you had to complete an 8 month work placement in UL, there should be a few familiar with it here) I took it. As I said earlier if anyone spoke to a colleague, let alone me, nowadays I'd call them on it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fairly uninspiring first half. Brumbies making most of the running but only 6-5 at the break.

Not sure any of the other teams will be quaking in their boots at the thought of facing either the Brumbies or the Cheetahs.

Cheetahs full of endeavour, but execution is letting them down at the moment.

Try Cheetahs! Conversion from the sideline required to force extra time... No pressure, now. Sarel Pretorius electric since his introduction.

And it fades from right to left, and hits the post :(

Better luck next year, Matthew8!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretorius was brilliant. Why is he not first choice?

Pretorius was brilliant. Why is he not first choice?

The more important Q is why has he never play for SA? Ulster fans close your eyes, but Pretorius offers so much more than Pienaar.

Great game and I really thought we were in for extra time. Who'd be a place kicker? :D

• Advertisement

OK, so Chiefs v Saders and Bulls v Brumbies. There is little chance, based on what I saw tonight, that the Brumbies beat the Bulls away, and the Crusaders spanked the Chiefs in Hamilton just recently, and look in ominous form. There is no doubt the Crusaders v Chiefs should be the more entertaining game.

Advertisement