Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

bmstuff wrote: »
    Unless you vomited on the car (Inside or outside) it is irrelevant to the thread :D

Get better nonetheless ;)

Smartarse! Anyway it seems it was done for me so happy days :pac:

Hopefully get some testing in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

conzy wrote: »
    What product did you restore the trim with? Mam has a civic and the trim has gone grey / white

Oops, didn't see this until now. I used Auto Finesse Revive applied with the soft part of a brillo pad. Probably needs a few coats though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Looking good Sean, glad you're happy.

Said i would treat the glanza to a bit of love :) it might sound stingy but its hard to believe that there is €250 worth of parts in the photo below :pac:

Oil & filter, air filter, plugs, leads, pads and a new CV boot :P

motor factors could not get front drop links :( so may I buy them from Mr. T. I also have to thank toyota for putting that oil filter where they did. holy ****. that is all.

xop9bk.jpg

hx9ekx.jpg

iy0ubc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Ah, are you another Blue Print fan:P? I do love the value of their stuff and the quality is fantastic. I was feeling rich last oil change so I swapped back to Denso for the filter.

Now it's my turn to sound stingy. There is no way I would have changed those plugs yet, they still look perfect!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Andy is the filter at the back of the engine? The diesels were a bastard to service, good way to get 3rd degree burns, no room atall! Driveshaft in the way, up beside the manifold..... The fuel filter was another pig, especially with abs there was no room already to remove it without placing the abs unit directly infront of the filter! :(

Not surprised at that amount of money in parts :p kudos on keeping on top of servicing :D

• Advertisement

I hear blueprint are good for Japanese parts alright :) tbh though i just go with whatever the motor factors give me once its a half respectable brand.

The plugs didn't look so bad but the plugs and leads had no history to them and i've done 25k on them so i said might as well do them for peace of mind. the leads were €80 quid and didn't come with a king lead which is a little disappointing but probably normal practice.

other good news :) went to check out the CV boot that had spat grease everywhere and the jubilee clip had just come off it (somehow) but the boot was fine. so i just used the jubilee clip and grease from the new kit and cleaned it up, delighted.

@dgt yeah it's in the back of the bay. dare i ask why :P

Personally I think its a rwd application made into an fwd application, hence the odd placement of the filter. The 2.0 was available in the Lite Ace for example and was rwd (and a pig to get at the engine too :p)

That's what I think anyway, the likes of the 1.0 yaris have the filter at the front, cant think of that engine in a rwd application!

Open to corrections :)

i'l leave that theory to you! but i can see your point :)

the 4e didn't make it into much bar the ep9* starlets and cynos and 1990 onwards corollas, all fwd.

not the worst but it's handiest to remove the strut bar to take it out, otherwise it takes a lot of fiddling and farting.

2j1v0c6.jpg

Knowing when the exhaust has had it, I set to work
    Image753.jpg

2 bolts hold up the exhaust.... But evidence of the failed oil seal still exist!
    Image754.jpg

Now that's timing, it fell in sh*te when I took it off :eek:
    Image755.jpg

Time to weld it up. No better stand than another turbo :pac:
    Image756.jpg

The finished result! No silencers here and a very clean E34 ;)
    Image757.jpg

And after plenty of driving it's holding well. It'll do until I get some fresh pipe and make up my own exhaust :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nothin so involved as Dgt(cos he's stone mad and that's not good coming from me), but today I changed my front brake pads. The old ones had plenty of meat on them, but the effectiveness had gone down. Glazed maybe? There was nigh on a 100,000 kms on them, so out with the 14 spanner...

259315.jpg
    Here's me relaxing the piston to fit the new pads with one of the old pads*. As you can see plenty of meat on the bone - which says much about my granny driving - but now with new ones she's already tauter in the braking, with better feel through the pedals and they've not even worn in yet. The seals and piston look nice and clean which is a bonus.

Manana, the rears. Slightly more effort, but not by much. Unless I have a sticking piston, all too common with 90's Hondas. So a pic may not be forthcoming, unless it's a selfie of me crying, or Dgt being summoned and after a high speed drive from his environs, followed by half of the Traffic Corps, showing up with a lump hammer, welding gear, massive automotive knowledge and a gimp mask. TBH I could deal with the gimpage, so long as he brings his A game. :D

Next up change out the bushes. Not looking forward to that as my yoke has more bushes than the botanic gardens. I may be calling screaming for help. *Gary ITR closes his account and hides in Bolivia*

*I've found the trick is to apply low and slow and constant pressure with a decent lever(ta v mucho Archimedes). It can help to release the master cylinder reservoir cap, though on Honda's of this vintage it doesn't seem to matter. Kate Moss has more arm muscle than me, so I know the lazy way around things. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

New lip spoiler and Rammstein licence plate surrounds :D

olqd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Spoiler sets the back off nicely.

It does, that's one thing I always thought when I saw it on M3's. It's a proper OEM M3 spoiler too.

Be jaypers Wibbs I must see about making action figures of myself so, maybe licence a boardgame after me! :D:p

What coilys you got there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Today I did a small but effective little mod, fitted chrome cluster rings on my e46

Before:
    VDrbhDJ.jpg?1

After:
    WKuMoDr.jpg?2

Also picked up these to refurb, gonna be a tough job. Have mv2's on it but would like to change to the mv1's
    okzCD1u.jpg?1

Ah jaysis Wibbs you could have done that job in my garage today, we could have even made a start on the bushings. My car isn't there this weekend it's over being setup by somebody with far more knowledge than me (Barry, owner of www.deliver-it.ie doing the setup)* so I could have done with a petrolhead fix!

*Sorry for the plug but Barry has really helped me out this year with the car so he deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Today I cleaned the car for tomorrow :)

hx7u3r.jpg

Even gave the engine bay a going over

11ay2w9.jpg

flvdit.jpg

I'm fairly new to this polishing and detailing jazz

2qntahl.jpg

Just wanted to make sure it worked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭transam

anyway my audi a3 sportback got new tyres yesterday and new battery today , next week shes getting new front shock absorbers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dgt wrote: »
    What coilys you got there? :)
    Meister R's. Couldn't recommend them enough D. Very good value and very nicely built and set up for everyday use/OEM replacement(which you can no longer get in my case) . The user settings really make an obvious diff too. Plus the bloke that does them is an email away should you get into bother. The fecker never sleeps :)
    Gary ITR wrote: »
    Ah jaysis Wibbs you could have done that job in my garage today, we could have even made a start on the bushings. My car isn't there this weekend it's over being setup by somebody with far more knowledge than me (Barry, owner of www.deliver-it.ie doing the setup)* so I could have done with a petrolhead fix!
    Well G I had a go at the rears and one piston is stuck fast. Luckily the rain today covered my tears :D *limps towards Kildare at the earliest opportunity, bringing mugs and tea and water...*

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Meister R's. Couldn't recommend them enough D. Very good value and very nicely built and set up for everyday use/OEM replacement(which you can no longer get in my case) . The user settings really make an obvious diff too. Plus the bloke that does them is an email away should you get into bother. The fecker never sleeps :)

Hmm doesn't look like they do Pug stuff :( I'm still researching coily's for the 406, when I put in the FK's in the van it was far more comfortable than with the springs! :eek:

Speaking of that 406..... I was getting fed up of the gap in the console. So up to the yard and I got this piece :)
    Image758.jpg

I want my coin holder back (and will probably be filled with lady territory markers ie hairclips :pac:) so out with all those buttons
    Image759.jpg

I needed some plastic. So I smashed the sh*t out of an old monitor
    Image760.jpg

After much sawing with a hacksaw and trimming I'm left with this
    Image762.jpg

Just time to apply my favourite glue and leave to set for a while
    Image763.jpg

Fitted :) It'll do! :D
    Image764.jpg

Oh and the cars cleaned to :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Got my cars first NCT. Good until Aug 2015.

Wibbs wrote: »

Well G I had a go at the rears and one piston is stuck fast. Luckily the rain today covered my tears :D *limps towards Kildare at the earliest opportunity, bringing mugs and tea and water...*

LOL ya Hammerhead, I'm on 2 weeks off now so let me know when you want to have a look

Cheers G. Will do :) In other news...

Today my car did something to me.

259481.jpg

Milestone passed, or is that kilometerstone for the young uns? Items other than consumable/maintenance stuff requiring replacement so far? An ignition coil a few weeks ago and a catalytic converter*. Yep I put new suspension in her, but the old ones still had life in them and passed the NCT's no bother. Otherwise all original from the factory from the day she was "born" in December 1998.

*and TBH both were likely my fault. My previous alarm crapped out on me, so every night while waiting to fit a new one I removed the ignition leads. One morning in a rush I forgot to plug em in and bang, the coil died. The converter? My battery died so I had to push start her and fierce bang of petrol out the back so that likely killed the cat. It is a divil for batteries mind you, I've put three in at last count and so far no sparks has been able to figure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

She needs some fuel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's a DC2, he probably filled it 5 minutes before that picture. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Few 'lil beads.

20130623_142618_zpsce8fb04b.jpg

Have the front door cards and the mirror housing disconnected on the LHS of the golf.

Changing in two new mirrors (the old ones were cack, scratches and broken in places). Also fitted a new gear gaitor which was surprisingly finicky and required a lot of Jeremy Clarkson style fixing (Hammering and shouting)

Gonna throw on 4 new tyres at the weekend and stick her in for the NCT too.

What do you guys reckon I'd get for a 2001 TDI golf with new NCT, new tyres, immaculate interior and partial service history? Few dings on the outside but nothin major.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon I'd get for a 2001 TDI golf with new NCT, new tyres, immaculate interior and partial service history? Few dings on the outside but nothin major.

€8,000,000.32 :)

€8,000,000.32 :)

Ah in fairness it is only a red I model

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ah in fairness it is only a red I model

8,000,000 so, knock off the 32 cent so they can get new badges :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement