Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm not saying that they were factory, nor am I saying they are the carbon ones and it's quite possible that they could actually be that filthy but it's just something worth noting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I guarantee mine were in it for the past 14 years

There were so many insects in the thing, that I think one of them lived through Hiroshima

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just because the new cabin filters are white doesn't mean that the ones you're removing are rank. A lot of cars come from the factory with activated carbon filters. The carbon helps to reduce bad smells in the air before the air enters the cabin.

There is usually an option of getting a replacement carbon filter but most people don't know this because you usually have to specify the carbon part of it and dealers usually just give out the normal ones and motor factors usually only stock the normal ones.

Oh this one is filthy. Cars AC was barely blowing when I got it, the Hyundai dealership cleaned out the old filter and I said I'd get one from the motor factors cause its 1/3rd of the price from Hyundai

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm not saying that they were factory, nor am I saying they are the carbon ones and it's quite possible that they could actually be that filthy but it's just something worth noting ;)

2002 + Avensis + Ireland

I'm running with Factory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Well after much procrastination (I've only had the carpet for around 3 months :D ) I finally got my finger out and covered over the rear storage unit. I was putting it on the long finger until I re-did the unit, but I finally admitted to myself that it'll probably be another couple of months before I tackle it so carpeted what was there. :o

Much glue & stapling later ...

carpet1.jpg

carpet2.jpg

Should hopefully make things a little quieter, and also give a little more grip to anything loaded on top. :)

Then got an old tin of paint of the mother-in-law with the intention of doing the rear panel of the unit. Turned out its actually metal paint, so it gave me a golden opportunity to tackle our lovely brown intercooler guard. :cool:

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

Getting ideas now so if the weather is any good on Sunday I might take off the spare wheel and re-paint the holder that mounts to the door. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Fitted front and rear footwell lights to my car today. Must get them coded tomorrow or Saturday.
    Will post pics when working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A post where dick about with diesel pumps..... Again. I won't keep yous long, more waffling than pics this time! :rolleyes:

So onto my car, which I said I'll change the gov spring :)
    Important bits:

Potentiometer (ghey semi ECU pump), throttle arm, splined arm and springs off. Mark the arm's position in relation to the splines. It's very easy to forget what spline it was on!

There are markings there already
    Image735.jpg

But a sharpie is a huge help :)
    Image736.jpg

Then the usual: UFO off, inlet pipe off, max rpm and idle screws off, max fuel screw loosened as much as possible, cold start advance disconnected (missing on this engine :confused:) and tap gently with a block of wood. Diesel should begin to piss out everywhere....

I had a closer look at the shaft and cradle. Twas a bit too worn for 180k miles....
    Image739.jpg
    Image740.jpg

Out with another cradle and that one got the bin! :pac:

And it all went back together, minus the cold start advance spring.....

New spring equals a shim of approx 3mm. So I had to fiddle with the rpm and fuelling screws for a while! Radically different to drive, no falling off at high rpms :eek:

Yet more pump madness!

I wasn't happy with the pikeyed c/h advance spring.... Whole lot off again :( takes me only a few mins though :)
    Image741.jpg

Quick looksee at some cradles and govs:

First the gov usually consists of 3 springs: main spring, load sensing spring and idle spring. Main spring is to limit the rpms and cut the fuel gradually as rpms increase. Load sensing is for when the engine is under load or going down a hill, hence sensing for load on the engine and giving extra fuel if needs. The idle spring is exactly what it says: for a smooth idle :)

Transit cradle is longer and beefier but has just the main spring..... So useless to me!

On the left is the standard DHX/DHY spring. Grand for normal tippin about but begins to cut fuel after just 2k rpm and by 4k rpm fuelling is about 60% what it was at 2k rpm, hence the traditional dying off of revs at high rpms. Also to protect the engine of over revving. It's very annoying when one is trying to ring some extra power out or get up a steep hill! :p
    In the middle is yet another Transit spring job, gives circa 2mm of a shim and a nice feeling pedal. Not very common to see this type of mod as very few people who do this dick about with pumps.
    On the right is the traditional gov mod with M5 nut, giving about 3-4mm of a shim and a distinctive hard transition through the pedal. In my opinion very hard on the pump and can easilly rev the engine over 6k rpm!!! But the pickup and response is something else :eek:

No one is seeing my 3mm shimmed gov, for my eyes only ;)
    Image742.jpg

I decided to install the Transit gov in a Ducato cradle, mix and match eh! :) Also advised to change the rubber seal for a new one as they go hard and begin to seep with age (giggity). At £25 for the kit you better not lose anything from it!!! :eek:
    Image743.jpg

This dirty little bastard loves to be awkward and spring off any chance it gets. I need 2 more of them :rolleyes: it's the cold/hot idle advance. Currently working on permanently doing away with it!
    Image744.jpg

There you go, more diesel stuff to think about :pac: Seriously though, if more people understood how these systems worked they might have a bit more respect for diesels in general :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Next meet You'll have to give me have a spin in the 406, don't know how I didn't at the last one :confused:

Today I did something to my car too, However, it's not a dgt post with something interesting happening:P.

I changed the oil+filter and air filter. Tried to track down the grinding noise in the rear brakes but can't find anything wrong :confused:. I then painted the back calipers and disk hubs(is that what they're called?) black with Hammerite. The front ones were done a while ago. I then tried to track down the vibration/grumble in the steering but no joy there either :(:mad:

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Next meet You'll have to give me have a spin in the 406, don't know how I didn't at the last one :confused:

Today I did something to my car too, However, it's not a dgt post with something interesting happening:P.

I changed the oil+filter and air filter. Tried to track down the grinding noise in the rear brakes but can't find anything wrong :confused:. I then painted the back calipers and disk hubs(is that what they're called?) black with Hammerite. The front ones were done a while ago. I then tried to track down the vibration/grumble in the steering but no joy there either :(:mad:

Damn! Would have been quite a comparison.... It's fairly different since then drivability wise :eek: don't worry, a spin is in order :D

Grinding in the discs... Wonkey wear indicator? Stone between the pad and disc? Bent backing plate? I'm assuming you painted the calipers, carriers and centres.... :)

As for the steering, maybe it needs some grease.... A bit dryer than when it left the factory? I remember the noise don't worry ;)

A service is a service, vital to keep on top of! So more important than my arsing with pumps :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

dgt wrote: »
    Damn! Would have been quite a comparison.... It's fairly different since then drivability wise :eek: don't worry, a spin is in order :D

Grinding in the discs... Wonkey wear indicator? Stone between the pad and disc? Bent backing plate? I'm assuming you painted the calipers, carriers and centres.... :)

As for the steering, maybe it needs some grease.... A bit dryer than when it left the factory? I remember the noise don't worry ;)

A service is a service, vital to keep on top of! So more important than my arsing with pumps :P

Nothing stuck in the pads. It seams that the rear passengers side disc is warped and is rubbing somewhere as it turns making the scrape, scrape, scrape noise (you probably remember). I can't tell if it's rubbing off the pads or somewhere else can't imagine what else though. It is still very free to rotate so it's not sticking at all so I have no idea how the back discs got that hot to warp.

I did grease all of the joints on the steering column the day before the last meet which made no difference I think the vibration might be coming from the steering lock but I don't know what exactly is inside that/how it works so I'll have to learn about that before I proceed I think :)

EDIT: Should add that I'm not worried at all about the noise myself but it's just that everyone that gets into it asks me what it is and the people who don't know any better then ask me why I drive such a wreck/banger:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Couple of tiny tiny mods for today. Wash and hoover tomorrow if we get the weather :)

Reg plate bulbs changed to LEDs

qn8x88.jpg

Seat belt covers.

jshz14.jpg

Picked this up in Argos, saves changing to a AUX supported Cd player, for now.

30tt9hw.jpg

Mini aerial

e7009v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Some minor stuff yesterday for the 535
    Replaced the standard number plates with german font ones from Eireplates
    Deep cleaned the alloys and sprayed some alloy wheel guard stuff I got in halfords on them. Was a bit doubtful but they seem a lot more shiney now!

Will put up some pics this evening. Its funny how much the german font plates suit the car much more than standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its funny how much the german font plates suit the car much more than standard.

I agree, much more pleasing to the eye and more noticeable. Got my plates from Eireplates too they do a great job. Going to be ordering another set next week, watch this space :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yesterday I started a job on the alloys and finished today.

I took them off, cleaned them inside and out, dried them, got the D/A at them with Menzerna FG500 and it brought up the shine a huge amount and in less than a minute! Then it was time to degrease them to remove the polishing oils, firstly with Meguiars Super Degreaser then with IPA wipes. Then I dried them and heated them up with a heat gun.

All this was so I could do this step - Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer. It's basically a crystallized lacquer application which boosts not only the shine, but the durability of the surface layer and it is scratch resistant (to a certain extent). As you can see in the pics, they are as glossy as bedamned but also with the hugely added benefit of water beading up and rolling off and 90% less work and effort to clean them.

One single application of this stuff, if done right, is good for 2 years without maintenance. I also got Gtechniq C2v3 Liquid Crystal which adds to the protection and water repellency. One application of this stuff is good for 8 months!

THis whole job is basically a more permanent version of what I was doing when I applied a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard followed by Collinite 476s.

https://imageshack.com/a/url600/1441/mk8v.jpg

https://imageshack.com/a/url853/448/t7ra.jpg

And since my Aldi jack was just a bit sh!t and I needed a low-profile jack anyway, I bought this yesterday:

https://imageshack.com/a/url545/3781/zksz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You think you'd have gotten the wheels refurbed first :pac:

They look well in fairness!

Not today, but had my rear springs replaced, rear wheel bearings done and handbrake backplates replaced.

Have to say fair play to Eibach, they keep their word on their million mile warranty. Replacement springs were free.

Sip racing jack! Man knows his jacks :D

I must get one myself, fed up of driving up on blocks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Well heading over to Le Mans tomorrow, so have the car stickered up as is the tradition, big thanks to stickers4.com for the decals.
    IMG_20130616_213327.jpg

IMG_20130616_213358.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Went to replace the aerial cable as my old one was destroyed. Ended up dismantling my car completely for some reason! Have everything cleaned and drying at the moment so will be spending tomorrow trying to work out how to get it all back together!

5p1oxu.jpg

Replacing the aerial cable..... Love it!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

^^^^

Been hanging round with dgt by any chance? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Well heading over to Le Mans tomorrow, so have the car stickered up as is the tradition, big thanks to stickers4.com for the decals.

Jealous! I did Le Mans about three years in a row from 2008-2010 and it was always great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Managed to break the power steering belt tensioner bolt :o
    Goodbye power steering (until I can get a replacement bolt)..

For the first time in 7 years, my 525i is beginning to shine :) hats off to 166man for working magic on the paintwork!!! :D:D:D

Just the one photo, it's being done in stages :)
    IMG_0035.JPG

On another lesser note, more messing with diesel pumps again, proper tensile cold advance spring installed idling somewhat fixed but needs adjustment bla bla bla..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

For the first time in 7 years, my 525i is beginning to shine :) hats off to 166man for working magic on the paintwork!!! :D:D:D

:pac:

I am sure you can do better than this picture...I only see a spider web or two here.

bmstuff wrote: »
    I am sure you can do better than this picture...I only see a spider web or two here.

Too dark to go out now :pac: only bits have been done here and there, as it progresses I'll take better ones :)

It would help if I found the phone I normally take the pics with too....!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Today i finished claying my paintwork followed by 2 coats of super resin polish & then the autoglym sealer :D can't wait for it to rain to see my beading... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

On another lesser note, more messing with diesel pumps again, proper tensile cold advance spring installed idling somewhat fixed but needs adjustment bla bla bla..... :pac:

Ah not a bother, been getting around with the polisher these days actually! Must get back to you ASAP to finish the monster project that is the 525i. It's coming up ridiculously well, unbelievable stuff. :D

Also I did feck all to my car today but was in DGT's Pug and my god, that car would put many to shame. It's properly quick full stop let alone a big ass French saloon. The way it get's from 10-15mph is immense as well. Gotta sort that idle problem though, it's killing town driving..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Playing with the new custom made and designed subwoofers enclosure...that should kick pretty well.

enclosure2.jpg

enclosure1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A real one! Wow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement