Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not 100% happy though. I only blame myself. No hair dryer makes it alot tougher. Ended up using a lighter to heat and manipulate the wrap around awkward corners.

That looks well from what I can see :)

Half-thinking of doing something similar to the A6 at some stage as some of the trim is a bit scratched from the previous owner. Don't know if I'd trust myself to do it properly though and I've no hairdryer/heat gun either! :p

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I was looking at doing all the centre console/gear surround in CF, but I seen someone had done it on their CC on a diff forum, and it just looked too much, too dull a colour all round.
    The section I did was the only section that I never really liked, so for now, im happy. Ill give it a few weeks to sink in and go from there. Ya never know, I could end up ripping it all off and putting in some black gloss or something.

tossy wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't have the done the hazard light switch and to pieces each side - it's a little too much unbroken CF

Don't know.. if he'd left it as standard I think it would really have stood out - and not in a good way. Reckon he made the right choice myself.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Don't know.. if he'd left it as standard I think it would really have stood out - and not in a good way. Reckon he made the right choice myself.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO4uAQkM9eR2Ar67gnoLKpR95701l5ahQQ31Z5m7a2YxNUjEPt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSO4uAQkM9eR2Ar67gnoLKpR95701l5ahQQ31Z5m7a2YxNUjEPt

Seen heat guns in lidl yesterday for 12/13 euro

• Advertisement

Christ. Lidl and Aldi, always have exactly what you want just when you need it!

DELIVERY!!
    Just had 2 of these delivered to work.

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Filthy, but that'll wash off. Shrink wrap is still protecting the chrome bits. Got them from a breakers up north.

Out with the old and in with the new. Door sills installed. Not too tough a job, about an hours work but a big improvement.
    Before:
    IMAG0368.jpg

After:
    IMAG0370.jpg

Drivers side has quite a bit of scuffing going on. I can only guess the breakers car was a garage demo that someone wrecked.
    IMAG0373.jpg

No idea what to do with the old ones. Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What wrap is that (have a link to it)? Looks well

You did a great job from what i can see

What wrap is that (have a link to it)? Looks well

You did a great job from what i can see

Its the images I didnt post that are the problem. Its lifting in some edges/corners where I should of used a heat gun. And I made a slight cut where I shouldnt have in the instrument cluster.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251146010288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Thanks dude will keep an eye out in Galway for your car

• Advertisement

Thanks dude will keep an eye out in Galway for your car

Woops. Must update that. Moved to Dublin 2 years ago now. In Galway the odd time though, its hard to say good-bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Did cylinder pressure test on my old toyota avensis, 1.8 petrol, 7A-FE . , in result, got nearly exact pressure in all cylinders, was using cheap pressure tester bought from ebay.

I pulled out all sparkplugs, disconnect both coilpacks, and disconnect petrol pump wiring under rear seat.

Results was nearly 14.5 bars.

Anyone have idea, is that ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mar4ix wrote: »
    [...]
    Results was nearly 14.5 bars.

Anyone have idea, is that ok ?

It's very good actually. Minimum for 7A-FE is 142 PSI (9.8 bar) with no more than 1 bar difference between cylinders. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    It's very good actually. Minimum for 7A-FE is 142 PSI (9.8 bar) with no more than 1 bar difference between cylinders. :)

Thanks, i cant find info about pressures, any idea, what is suppose to be ?

i have suspicions, that catalytic converter is blocked ... bad mpg (10-12 l/100 km too bad for lean burn engine) , poor acceleration. decided check easier things first , i have timing belt with water pump replacement planned, and clutch. probably easier will be pull engine out, and inspect cat.

edit:
    barely passed NCT emissions on high revs.
    usually, when start car, exhaust fumes smell inside, and when accelerating it is kind jerking , also jerking when maintain constant speed.
    Connected to techstream toyotas diagnostics, no any faults.

Unregistered Users

You don't have to pull an engine out to check cat - remove exhaust. And take a look at lambda as well. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    You don't have to pull an engine out to check cat - remove exhaust. And take a look at lambda as well. :)

I was thinking, pull engine out for replacing timing belt and clutch in same time, shall be easier, as on drive way , it is pain in @rs get that gearbox on .
    Dont know, what is best way.

Unregistered Users

Won't be easy anyway. :(

that little problems was since i got car, and i replaced lambda, got Denso one, cost odd 170 GBP , original ones been manufactured by Denso also , as written on them - Denso for Toyota ...
    problems still persist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Mar4ix wrote: »
    that little problems was since i got car, and i replaced lambda, got Denso one, cost odd 170 GBP , original ones been manufactured by Denso also , as written on them - Denso for Toyota ...
    problems still persist.

Failed emmisions on Lambda too high? Hole in the exhaust can cause it. You mentioned fumes in the cab too.

Failed emmisions on Lambda too high? Hole in the exhaust can cause it. You mentioned fumes in the cab too.

emissions was near to fail on 2800 rpms , lambda is fine. fumes could be failing exhaust manifold gasket, due too high pressure over blocked exhaust / catalytic converter, also engine bay pretty much covered by carbon, unusual too much for petrol engine.

• Advertisement

done some work on my cars rusty wheels:

BEFORE:

dscf4239b.jpg

dscf4238.jpg

AFTER BRUSH TREATMENT :)

dscf4241w.jpg

dscf4240ux.jpg

AFTER CLEANING WITH SOME DEGREASER:

dscf4243n.jpg

dscf4242f.jpg

AND FEW LAYERS PAINTED.. GRADUALLY:

dscf4244n.jpg

dscf4245y.jpg

dscf4246cv.jpg

dscf4247cx.jpg

dscf4248t.jpg

Now drying in shed for another 24 hrs. painted with hammerite. rough work, but i wont spent more time and money on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Today my car got a full service.

That is all
    Pickles out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Passed the aul NCT :)

601930_10151410908556436_1228694870_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭transam

changed 4 ignition coils + spark plugs on my audi a3 sportback 1.6 fsi ... next thing will be tyres .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Changed the rear wheel bearing hub on the driver's side on my Wife's Focus yesterday evening. Needless to say the old one was a right whoor to get off and when I put the new one in I wasn't confident the plug for the ABS sensor plugged into the new one right. And lo and behold I was right, the ABS light was on on the dash. So took the sensor out of the old one, had to contort myself to get it out of the new one as it was now fitted to the car, put in the old one, and the ABS light went out.

€95 for the bearing hub so not a bad result.

2013-06-12-975_zps66fb26ac.jpg
    2013-06-12-976_zps48e0662c.jpg
    2013-06-12-977_zpsefc0e3e5.jpg
    2013-06-12-981_zps25aa708f.jpg
    2013-06-12-982_zps538a7d49.jpg

So got the A6 back this afternoon but all is still not well - although she's driving as normal again I'm still getting flashing glow plug light/constant engine management light. Came back just as I was leaving the office. In other words back to where we started last Friday :(

Interestingly the glow plug light disappears when you put it into D(rive) and comes back when you shift back to P(ark). The engine management light stays on constantly.

Got hold of a copy of VCDS there and ran a diag scan.. anyone know how to read these logs and what it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

So I finally got my cabin filter and was quite disgusted what I saw. Looks as the previous owner never changed it. Went down and got a can of air con cleaner afterwards to kill the remainder of the smell

9033458855_623d4de5ed_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Cabin filters too.

Old ones were rank, the void was full of leaves too.

null_zps3858e982.jpg
    702d3024-ebf0-4de2-9bbd-d3a114b85fc1_zps284c3082.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just because the new cabin filters are white doesn't mean that the ones you're removing are rank. A lot of cars come from the factory with activated carbon filters. The carbon helps to reduce bad smells in the air before the air enters the cabin.

There is usually an option of getting a replacement carbon filter but most people don't know this because you usually have to specify the carbon part of it and dealers usually just give out the normal ones and motor factors usually only stock the normal ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Fair point, but it's an 2002 avensis so i'd hope they weren't factory filters!

The bigger one was full of crap thats why i said it was rank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement