Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Pickles, All you need now is a small bit of paint the right colour for your brackets and you'll have a lovely clean job and a nice little mod :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Pickles, All you need now is a small bit of paint the right colour for your brackets and you'll have a lovely clean job and a nice little mod :)

Exactly :) any ideas for a colour?

Exactly :) any ideas for a colour?

Just car body colour I would go for. Halfords can mix it up for you and possibly your local motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

166man wrote: »
    How do they look? You left the photocopy of your logbook in my car btw, will give it to you whenever you're around this part of the woods.

The drivers one is a bit crap, but theyre better than nothing.
    As the days go on, Im noticing more and more things that need to be improved.
    I was actually in your neck of the woods this evening with the missus. Have a pot of jam for you.

Got a quote for the side skirts....ouch.

Filled her up with petrol as well.
    26.25 mpg since arklow, which included you behind the wheel :pac:
    To be fair, I was expecting a lot lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They look like Pop rivets.

Cordless drill and a fairly big drill bit. Say 10mm maybe? Depends on the size if the rivet.

Id say 4 or 5mm

Just car body colour I would go for. Halfords can mix it up for you and possibly your local motor factors.

I've actually been looking for the code to the paint on the car, can't seem to find it anywhere, it's not on any of the metal plate things

I've actually been looking for the code to the paint on the car, can't seem to find it anywhere, it's not on any of the metal plate things

I'm not sure where Opel put the codes. I know VW put them on a sticker in the spare wheel well. If you call the dealer they will tell you.

I'm not sure where Opel put the codes. I know VW put them on a sticker in the spare wheel well. If you call the dealer they will tell you.

Good idea, I'll be passing one in the morning, I'll ask them for it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's on the vin plate. It never says the colour, just the code

pMwN4hq.png

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    It's on the vin plate. It never says the colour, just the code

pMwN4hq.png

I've seen that picture alright, went and looked at the vin, there was a few numbers but I couldn't figure which was which

Thanks though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I've seen that picture alright, went and looked at the vin, there was a few numbers but I couldn't figure which was which

Thanks though :D

Send me a photo and I'll tell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Sold? is it staying local?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Scortho wrote: »
    The drivers one is a bit crap, but theyre better than nothing.
    As the days go on, Im noticing more and more things that need to be improved.
    I was actually in your neck of the woods this evening with the missus. Have a pot of jam for you.

Got a quote for the side skirts....ouch.

We'll find you a genuine set from the UK, they can be got but take your time and get proper ones. You also might be able to nab a pair from a 156 being dismantled or scapped. Regardless I'll keep an eye out.

Ah you're very good, I'd imagine you got some amount of Jam from the amount of Fruit you bought!

What are we talking? I got a contact today who has a good rep for respraying, I'll get in touch with him and see.

You got nearly 27mpg after all that? Jesus lord that's savage stuff for what it is. I expected much much lower, you should get over 30mpg fairly handily now on a longer run. Excellent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

166man wrote: »
    We'll find you a genuine set from the UK, they can be got but take your time and get proper ones. You also might be able to nab a pair from a 156 being dismantled or scapped. Regardless I'll keep an eye out.

Ah you're very good, I'd imagine you got some amount of Jam from the amount of Fruit you bought!

What are we talking? I got a contact today who has a good rep for respraying, I'll get in touch with him and see.

7 pounds of jam from a box and a half. Me and her dad were eating it out of the pot it was that nice. Have a box at home for the mammy to make jam with. Be interesting to see who's nicer.:D

The place in Celbridge quoted me 300 quid, as some of the plastic needs to be welded.
    To spray side skirts in perfect condition (no scratches or anything on them when I give them to him) Im looking at 180.

The place where I got the side of my polo redone (came out excellent, coundnt tell) he said 160.

Got the feel of the man in Celbridge that he didnt want to do them.

How much would those skirts go for in their current state do you know? Might be worthwhile trying to see if I can get originals in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Scortho wrote: »
    7 pounds of jam from a box and a half. Me and her dad were eating it out of the pot it was that nice. Have a box at home for the mammy to make jam with. Be interesting to see who's nicer.:D

The place in Celbridge quoted me 300 quid, as some of the plastic needs to be welded.
    To spray side skirts in perfect condition (no scratches or anything on them when I give them to him) Im looking at 180.

The place where I got the side of my polo redone (came out excellent, coundnt tell) he said 160.

Got the feel of the man in Celbridge that he didnt want to do them.

How much would those skirts go for in their current state do you know? Might be worthwhile trying to see if I can get originals in good nick.

The fight of the Jams...:pac:

Yeah some people won't want the business surprisingly enough and therefore quote way over the odds, maybe next time you're around let me have a good look at them in proper detail and see what's what, where the damage is.

As I said I'd go for the originals but that's just me, should be able to pick them up for €40 max in a dismantler and you'd probably get €40ish for the Zenders. I haven't much of an idea that's a pure guess.

I'll ask around and see what a few people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

guttenberg wrote: »
    Sold? is it staying local?

Sure is! Relatively local and to a top dude who will take care of her too! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Just did some health checks today, next round is beckoning :)

AFR's all seem good

21363_10151535565077825_1389825188_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Last night actually, recharged the air con in my Mazda 6 with the EZ Chill bottle from Halfords, nice and chilly again in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Last night actually, recharged the air con in my Mazda 6 with the EZ Chill bottle from Halfords, nice and chilly again in the cabin.
    Nice, did you find the source of the leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

Not yet, the EZ Chill claims to have a sealant built in so hopefully this will plug any potential leak, but after 8 years and 380,000km I reckon she just ran out of gas. Have half a bottle of the recharge left so will monitor it over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

gerardk55 wrote: »
    Not yet, the EZ Chill claims to have a sealant built in so hopefully this will plug any potential leak, but after 8 years and 380,000km I reckon she just ran out of gas. Have half a bottle of the recharge left so will monitor it over the next week or two.
    not bad I suppose! :P
    If it still losing its charge, (you'll know as it will start to get colder..like very cold! )

Check the shaft seal of the compressor, usually first port of call, or the service ports

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

3 hours of swearing, but mission acomplished. Thicker anti-roll bar on.

Before (15mm):

260422.jpg

After (19mm):

260423.jpg

First road tests sunday night. :cool:

==========

Now, time for barbecue and beer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Today I changed my front brake pads.
    9167493087_906eb666b8_c.jpg IMAG1253

Well overdue.
    My brake performance was better before I changed them :( , might improve over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Theyre always spongey while they bed in for a few miles:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

joujoujou wrote: »
    3 hours of swearing, but mission acomplished. Thicker anti-roll bar on.

Before (15mm):

After (19mm):

First road tests sunday night. :cool:

==========

Now, time for barbecue and beer. :D

Would you not have cleaned it up before fitting? It looks rotten dude :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Would get rusty anyway, so useless effort. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

joujoujou wrote: »
    Would get rusty anyway, so useless effort. :P

did you use grease ? why ? my avensis have some squeak when going slowly over bumps, would dry bushing cause that ? actually started since i put new shock absorbers in rear ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Mar4ix wrote: »
    did you use grease ? why ? my avensis have some squeak when going slowly over bumps, would dry bushing cause that ? actually started since i put new shock absorbers in rear ,

Polyurethane bushes ?

My 4 front wishbone bushes are squeaking a fair bit since I got them in last week. I don't think my mechanic bothered using the grease that comes with them. Car would be undrivable with six front eight rear and torque/engine mounts if they all squeak this much normally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Much needed fluid change. Just in time, before the wind blew everything away! :mad:
    Image771.jpg

Now I can burn those sh*te pads much quicker and warp those crappy discs into oblivion :pac:

Had to break out the M12 x 1.25 tap again for the rear hub, how do these keep getting fecked? :confused:

And bulb change. I can see my mileage again! :)
    Image772.jpg

Felt-a-cred increased too with some visual enhancements :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement