Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springbok Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 15-06-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

Just thought I would start a thread on the Springboks for any like minded lovers of the rainbow nation.

There are playing Scotland today and with the Scots losing to Samoa last weekend, it is really looking like a hiding my be on there way.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Arno Botha, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandré Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Jan Serfontein.

A very strong team and bench today, Notable players are obviously Eben Etzebeth the best second row in the world and the 2 best hookers in the world on the bench and starting for South Africa. Finally Le Roux has replaced the awful Kirchner(Leinster bound and injured).

Steyn, Habana, Pienaar, Kruger are all based over see's next year.

Players such as Francois Steyn, JP Pieterson, Johan Goosen etc are not been included due to injury.

I believe South Africa have the talent to win the World Cup in 2015 and 2019. I believe a new golden generation is coming through and part of my reasoning for starting this thread.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

A few names are less common so I go through them

17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen

Both are part of the free state franchise called the Cheetahs and are being mentored and taught by the only man that is as revered as Nelson Mandela and that is of course OZ Du Randt. Coenie has been a bit of a Cian Healy type of player. From school every one knew how good he could be but its up to him to live up his potential. His scummaging at the highest level is not good enough but he is barely 22 I think. Trevor as another highly thought of player...bigger bulk than the beast and a very young player aswell.

Siya Kolisi

The form flanker in South Africa with a Lappies(who i will talk about again). Big giant of a man, another of these young exciting africa ethnic players that are flying through the ranks of south african rugby. Plays like Dan Lydiate

21 Piet van Zyl,

Form scrum half in SA, but overlooked due to Meyer kicking philosphy. Haven't seen much of him but I believe he has been sensational this year.

22 Pat Lambie,

Most should know about Lambie but he is still very young but yet to find his true place in a Springbok shirt...when Goosen is fit he is no1 fly half

23 Jan Serfontein

Massive reputation being best player u20s last year but has gone straight into the bulls set up and dominated...big future

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Castle lager any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Keep an eye on Arno Botha.number 7.great player and big only 21

marc96 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on Arno Botha.number 7.great player and big only 21

Yeah initially the Saffers were disappointed with his inclusion but he was very impressive last week so much as to say he was the best player on the park.

Coetzee had a huge year last year but just struggling a bit this year....on form he does not deserve to be there.

Never tried castle lager lol

Let's go....

• Advertisement

Looks like Botha seriously injured.

Terribly unlucky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Great try Scotland. Totally deserved. Outplaying the Saffers.

Yeah Scotland playing great stuff!

What aren't South Africa taking them on around the fringes?? they are bringing nothing to the ruck. Scotland are just fanning across.

Crazy stuff and De Villers not going for goal is another poor decision. Not a bok Captain in any mould IMO.

Pienaar also incredibly slow around the break down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Embarassing for the Springboks. Losing to Scotland without any of their best players. Hard to think of one good performer in the first half.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Embarassing for the Springboks. Losing to Scotland without any of their best players. Hard to think of one good performer in the first half.

It is embarassing....no other word

Jesus Christ they may actually win this.

This is arguably one of the most poorly drilled South African performances I have ever seen.

There defensive coach needs to be fired....gaps everywhere.

This is arguably one of the most poorly drilled South African performances I have ever seen.

There defensive coach needs to be fired....gaps everywhere.

In fairness the Scots are obstructing all over the place. What I'm annoyed with is the lack of any cutting edge in attack.

Not sure how the Boks can rescue this.

Clearly Bismark would have a big impact but he isn't fit.

I think Pienaar needs to go his performance has terrible.

Need to empty the bench now!!

Not sure how the Boks can rescue this.

Clearly Bismark would have a big impact but he isn't fit.

Need to empty the bench now!!

From my watching of the Cheetahs Oosthuizen and Van Zyl would really add a spark. Unfortunately Oosthuizen is viewed as a TH, and he's not very good there.

matthew8 wrote: »
    In fairness the Scots are obstructing all over the place. What I'm annoyed with is the lack of any cutting edge in attack.

Scots getting away with murder around the breakdown..

I notice that Louw obviously is not there and Brussow exclusion will grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Morne Steyn is one of the most boring 10's in test rugby history

South Africa need a Bakkies Botha or a Schalk Burger.....someone to smash a player off the ball and physical intemediate the opposition

• Advertisement

South Africa need a Bakkies Botha or a Schalk Burger.....someone to smash a player off the ball and physical intemediate the opposition

Etzebeth could be that if he wanted to. Brussouw is a natural at that sort of thing too. Bismarck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ah here that's ridiculous, never a yellow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not watching it but how is Pienaar's performance terrible.

Is he just playing 9 and giving the ball to an incompetant 10, or is he trying to control the game from 10 and messing it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Tox56 wrote: »
    Ah here that's ridiculous, never a yellow

commentary was hilarious, nothing in it. Estabeth really hasn't impressed me from what I've seen of him

Poite is taking the piss...they are playing the ball all over the floor

Not watching it but how is Pienaar's performance terrible.

Is he just playing 9 and giving the ball to an incompetant 10, or is he trying to control the game from 10 and messing it up?

He is taking a age to get the ball away....he is taking steps with the ball and taking meters from the back row that he is passing too. His kicking is poor.

Its just a complete mess, compare him to Du Preez...jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

trouttrout wrote: »
    commentary was hilarious, nothing in it. Estabeth really hasn't impressed me from what I've seen of him

Suppose it was deserved after Dunbar's vicious and brutal assault on Habana.

At last SA lead. On the yellow, it's pretty clear in professional rugby the referees don't like you to be sticking your hand in an opposing player's face off the ball.

Good try...JJ Englebrecht much maligned for the Bulls is out showing his captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭schools rugby

Pienaar reminds me of a JCT scrumhalf who really doesnt care whats going on

Advertisement