Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springbok Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Buer wrote: »
    Testicles.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Emperor1989

CatFromHue wrote: »
    SA's last game in the Nov Int is against France on 23/11.

Leinster play Lanelli the following week and then it's the double header against Northampton on the subsequent weeks.

I hope Kirchener isn't injury prone cos he's going to be playing for 12 months a year now.

I don't remember him having many injuries throughout his career. He may not be included however, its could be a throw up between himself and the newly shape of Francois Steyn.

Hope yet!!

A Great day for Springbok fans everywhere

Outside backs: Zane Kirchner, Gio Aplon, Willie le Roux, JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana

Centres: JJ Engelbrecht, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers (captain), Jan Serfontein,

Fly-halves: Morné Steyn, Johan Goosen, Pat Lambie,

Scrum-halves: Fourie du Preez, Ruan Pienaar, Louis Schreuder,

Loose forwards: Duane Vermeulen, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee,

Locks: Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Flip van der Merwe, Bakkies Botha ,

Props: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Coenie Oosthuizen, Gurthrö Steenkamp, Tendai Mtawarira

Hookers:Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Scarra Ntubeni.

Very strong all over the park only notable ommision was Francois Steyn but I guess he may need more time to get into the grove after injury. Schreuder is a shocker after his performace at the weekend but he just their to carry the bags in reality. Burger did enough to warrant inclusion from some but not for me. He needs a good rest now and build up to super 15. Malherbe has been given a big chance now to nail down a place in this squad....I surprised that Pat Cillers has been given no chance under Meyer but I guess he know what he is doing fastracking this youngsters.

1. Beast/Guthro
    2. Bismark/ Straus
    3. The Doctor, Cooenie
    4. Eben Etzebeth/ FLip
    5. Bakkies Botha/ PSDT
    6. Louw/Coetzee/Burger
    7. Alberts/ Kolisi
    8. Vermulen/Spies
    9. Du Preez/ Pienaar
    10. Goosen/Steyn/ Lambie
    11. Habana/Aplon/Serfontein
    12. JDV/ Frans Steyn
    13. Jacque Fourie/JJ/ Jan Serfontein
    14. JP Pieterson/La Roux/Serfontein
    15. Willie La Roux/Kirchner/Steyn/Lambie

This is the squad he will pick for 2015 injury permitting i feel. Pretty much agree with all of it. He is basically begging for Goosen to take over the 10 position the way he constantly being selected regardless of lack of game time. They should win all 3 games now in the autumn with this squad...so much strength and depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A Great day for Springbok fans everywhere

Outside backs: Zane Kirchner, Gio Aplon, Willie le Roux, JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana

Centres: JJ Engelbrecht, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers (captain), Jan Serfontein,

Fly-halves: Morné Steyn, Johan Goosen, Pat Lambie,

Scrum-halves: Fourie du Preez, Ruan Pienaar, Louis Schreuder,

Loose forwards: Duane Vermeulen, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee,

Locks: Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Flip van der Merwe, Bakkies Botha ,

Props: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Coenie Oosthuizen, Gurthrö Steenkamp, Tendai Mtawarira

Hookers:Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Scarra Ntubeni.

Very strong all over the park only notable ommision was Francois Steyn but I guess he may need more time to get into the grove after injury. Schreuder is a shocker after his performace at the weekend but he just their to carry the bags in reality. Burger did enough to warrant inclusion from some but not for me. He needs a good rest now and build up to super 15. Malherbe has been given a big chance now to nail down a place in this squad....I surprised that Pat Cillers has been given no chance under Meyer but I guess he know what he is doing fastracking this youngsters.

1. Beast/Guthro
    2. Bismark/ Straus
    3. The Doctor, Cooenie
    4. Eben Etzebeth/ FLip
    5. Bakkies Botha/ PSDT
    6. Louw/Coetzee/Burger
    7. Alberts/ Kolisi
    8. Vermulen/Spies
    9. Du Preez/ Pienaar
    10. Goosen/Steyn/ Lambie
    11. Habana/Aplon/Serfontein
    12. JDV/ Frans Steyn
    13. Jacque Fourie/JJ/ Jan Serfontein
    14. JP Pieterson/La Roux/Serfontein
    15. Willie La Roux/Kirchner/Steyn/Lambie

This is the squad he will pick for 2015 injury permitting i feel. Pretty much agree with all of it. He is basically begging for Goosen to take over the 10 position the way he constantly being selected regardless of lack of game time. They should win all 3 games now in the autumn with this squad...so much strength and depth.

Yeah, very impressive. It's a real shame that NZ & SA (if form follows) could meet in the RWC semi in 2015, they would make a fitting pair for the final.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Yeah, very impressive. It's a real shame that NZ & SA (if form follows) could meet in the RWC semi in 2015, they would make a fitting pair for the final.

The only real area I feel the Blacks are weak is in that front row. Woodcock is going to be still going and I not convinced by the hookers at present. Fair enough the tighthead Franks is very good but there is a chance that NZ could lose the next world cup in that front 3. Everywhere else looks as good as it can be.

I guess in the World Cup winner you need 6 or 7 player that are the best in there position in the World. You have Read, McCaw, Smithx2,Dagg and possibly Whitelock.

Only Boks I can name are Eben, Bismark and possibly Du Preez...they need to up that 3 or 4 more before 2015.

• Advertisement

A lot of people are saying that Scarra Ntubeni is due to his ethnicity and it does seem this squad was picked before the Currie Cup final. A bit like Raymond Rhule last year. Its true i guess that politicans are still scampering around the Boks set up!

The only real area I feel the Blacks are weak is in that front row. Woodcock is going to be still going and I not convinced by the hookers at present. Fair enough the tighthead Franks is very good but there is a chance that NZ could lose the next world cup in that front 3. Everywhere else looks as good as it can be.

I guess in the World Cup winner you need 6 or 7 player that are the best in there position in the World. You have Read, McCaw, Smithx2,Dagg and possibly Whitelock.

Only Boks I can name are Eben, Bismark and possibly Du Preez...they need to up that 3 or 4 more before 2015.

Joe Moody is apparently a very promising LH, and was selected, but broke his fibula in the ITM final, so he's out until SXV 2014. The selectors have already indicated they will pick 1 or 2 new hookers next year, so that will be a real bunfight in the NZ conference: some of the up-and-comers seem promising...so I'm not worried...yet. Hore will be gone and quite possibly Mealamu too, so it definitely needs new blood. There is some though Charlie Faumauina will overtake Owen Francks at TH, but we see.

In terms of best players in the world in their positions: based on this season, Brodie Retallick, Kieran Read, Conrad Smith, Ben Smith & Dagg I would say, that makes 5. But Savea, Nonu, your choice of FH, A Smith, your choice of 7, Whitelock are all up there. But you could say the same for SA too.

A lot of people are saying that Scarra Ntubeni is due to his ethnicity and it does seem this squad was picked before the Currie Cup final. A bit like Raymond Rhule last year. Its true i guess that politicans are still scampering around the Boks set up!

There's not too much tokenism in that squad. JP, Habana, Kirchner, Aplon, Kolisi, the Beast - all either black or coloured and they merit their spots.

Joe Moody is apparently a very promising LH, and was selected, but broke his fibula in the ITM final, so he's out until SXV 2014. The selectors have already indicated they will pick 1 or 2 new hookers next year, so that will be a real bunfight in the NZ conference: some of the up-and-comers seem promising...so I'm not worried...yet. Hore will be gone and quite possibly Mealamu too, so it definitely needs new blood. There is some though Charlie Faumauina will overtake Owen Francks at TH, but we see.

In terms of best players in the world in their positions: based on this season, Brodie Retallick, Kieran Read, Conrad Smith, Ben Smith & Dagg I would say, that makes 5. But Savea, Nonu, your choice of FH, A Smith, your choice of 7, Whitelock are all up there. But you could say the same for SA too.

In fairness Savea would also have to come into the reckoning he has been a devastating finisher and that is really what its all about in winger play.

It be interesting to see what they will do...Kaino is back and SOnny Bill so your adding 2 world class player right back into the mix. South Africa I feel next tri Nations have to really attack that NZ scrum straight up. With Botha or PSDT replacing Kruger it should give a bit more buzz in behind the prop and also Bismark simply has to start using his bulk to bully the hooker around. I think as a scrumaging unit the Boks may have the best tight 5 in the world to do it but again consistency is not their...too often they are allowing the wiley woodcock to get away with hinging and basically de powering the engage at scrum time which benefits the ABs with their culture of getting the ball out quicker than most. NZ front row reminds me of the Munster front row a little...individually not top class but always seem to get away with it most of the time when they won the heino cup.

There's not too much tokenism in that squad. JP, Habana, Kirchner, Aplon, Kolisi, the Beast - all either black or coloured and they merit their spots.

Could not agree more there other than Kirchner:) but his form has dropped recently.

Trevor Nyanke has gone missing too. Why not bring Chiliboy Rapelle on tour he is a hell of a player but the internal politics in there is still a mess.

Jake WHite is back in South Africa and will be looking for that job again.

• Advertisement

Could not agree more there other than Kirchner:) but his form has dropped recently.

Trevor Nyanke has gone missing too. Why not bring Chiliboy Rapelle on tour he is a hell of a player but the internal politics in there is still a mess.

Jake WHite is back in South Africa and will be looking for that job again.

Which he won't get. Burnt his bridges last time.

Which he won't get. Burnt his bridges last time.

They don't call him the snake for nothing;)

For anyone who hasn't seen it

For anyone who hasn't seen it

That would be most of the forum I'd say ;)

I'll freely admit I watched no ITM cup this season, just the odd highlights here and there. I can only take so much rugby, and I've been trying to catch all the Leinster games instead.

That would be most of the forum I'd say ;)

I'll freely admit I watched no ITM cup this season, just the odd highlights here and there. I can only take so much rugby, and I've been trying to catch all the Leinster games instead.

Yes prob the only one who has along with Stephen Jones (Sundaytimes) this side of the hemisphere.

It was not fantastic rugby but was fantastic match.

Yes prob the only one who has along with Stephen Jones (Sundaytimes) this side of the hemisphere.

It was not fantastic rugby but was fantastic match.

Stephen Jones has always loved SA...probably because they represent what he feels is perfect rugby...and more akin to an English style, although SA have been much much more expansive this season. At one stage he thought Pierre Spies was the world's best 8. No Stephen, only Pierre Spies himself thought he was the worlds best 8 :pac:

Stephen Jones has always loved SA...probably because they represent what he feels is perfect rugby...and more akin to an English style, although SA have been much much more expansive this season. At one stage he thought Pierre Spies was the world's best 8. No Stephen, only Pierre Spies himself thought he was the worlds best 8 :pac:

I don't think Spies is as bad as people make out but Vermulen can do everything he can and do it with more aggresion.

Great news that Du Plessis is out of the tour...he needs a break and we now see exactly how good these backups are at tighthead.

Former Springboks Victor Matfield and Derick Hougaard are on the comeback trail with the Bulls according to reports in South Africa.

Matfield has been out of action since retiring after the 2011 Rugby World Cup and Hougaard has been battling to overcome an Achilles injury sustained during a stint at Saracens in 2012.
    Hougaard initially moved to the United Kingdom in 2008 to join his former Bulls coach - now Springbok boss - Heyneke Meyer at Leicester but joined Saracens in 2009.

The fly-half has been working as a junior kicking coach for the Bulls and could figure in the Pretoria-based franchise's 2014 Super Rugby squad if his Achilles recovery continues to go as planned.

Matfield has also been working as a coach for the Bulls, overseeing the forwards and attack.

According to Supersport, Matfield was spotted training in Pretoria with Springbok fitness coach Basil Carzils in an attempt to get back in shape for Super Rugby and perhaps, even put himself in contention for a return to the Test arena.

The Bulls have remained tight-lipped over the prospects of the duo's return to Super Rugby, there's little doubt they would boost the squad in terms of depth and experience to impart to a relatively young group.

Looks like this could be happening.

Matfield, Botha, Etzebeth and PSDT all in the 2015 squad?? my god what locking options.

South Africa: 15 Patrick Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Willem Alberts, 5 Flip van der Merwe, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
    Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 JJ Engelbrecht, 23 Willie le Roux.

Very very strong team.

JP Pieterson is a really good addition to the wing where they have really struggled to get production from Basson. JPP was a very powerful runner. Fourie is basically a huge upgrade on defense for the Boks and why he was a good attacker we have to wait and see is that side of his game the same. JPP is also a great defender...a mauler.

Lucking forward to it...should be a cracking game.

• Advertisement

Don't know much about Malherbe...it just shows you the dirth of Tight head props in South Africa at the moment....arguably BJ Botha is the next best behind Du Plessis but he never be picked.

Looks like Matfield is defo coming back. Springbok Captain for 2015 possibly.

BXSPKLJIIAA04Wd.jpg:large

Good to have Bakkies back

Looks like Matfield is defo coming back. Springbok Captain for 2015 possibly.

Ah come on. He'll be ancient by then (38). OK, I think Simon Shaw managed it (just), but I really don't see a 38 year old playing 80 minutes as captain. Maybe he can do a 40 minute job.

Good to have Bakkies back

Indeed. I love playing SA with 14 men on the pitch.

Ah come on. He'll be ancient by then (38). OK, I think Simon Shaw managed it (just), but I really don't see a 38 year old playing 80 minutes as captain. Maybe he can do a 40 minute job.

The only reason he is coming back is if he is going to playing for the Boks in 2015.

2 years off....I guess the whole team took a few years off to get over how Bryce Lawrence shafted the Boks.

Made it much easier for NZ to win when their main danger got literally raped.

Indeed. I love playing SA with 14 men on the pitch.

Hehe he only get 40/50 mins these days.

Big day today.

Need to just pummel this Welsh team up front. Big day for Malherbe, if he can prove he is up to the job that will be a big plus for 2015.

My Prediction South Africa to win by 7 or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

My Prediction South Africa to win by 7 or more

Same here. To be honest a narrow win isn't good enough against this side for aspiring World Champions. NZ would beat this Welsh team fairly comfortably.

Advertisement