Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    While I'd agree that Nagle was quite good in the league, I'm not sure if he has the pace for championship hurling. If he was a physical ball winner, I might be prepared to overlook that, but he's obviously on the small side as well. He wouldn't be in my first choice halfback line.

He's very good in the air to be fair to him, it's bad decision making (which wasn't very evident in this league campaign in fairness) and being absolutely torn apart when being run (kind of happened in the second half against Clare) at which would worry me.

He's definitely going to start though against Clare, I'd be very surprised to see Paudie Prender in front of him.

The backs and forwards will be:

Fives, Lawlor, Connors
    Nagle, Brick, Fives
    Moran and Sully
    O'Halloran, Seamus, Maurice
    Dillon, Walsh, Barron

The only changes to that might be positional in the forwards but I doubt it. Can't see Mahony starting, was well off the pace in the league. Brian O'Sullivan too has dropped down the pecking order. At least they've options up front off the bench, where as backline replacements are thin though I'd be pretty happy with those that start.

More than likely SOK will be in goal, I certainly hope he will anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

More than likely SOK will be in goal, I certainly hope he will anyway.

If O'Keeffe is likely to start, what was the logic of playing O'Regan in the League? Or am I expecting too much with my request for 'logic'? :D

deiseach wrote: »
    If O'Keeffe is likely to start, what was the logic of playing O'Regan in the League? Or am I expecting too much with my request for 'logic'? :D

To try and tell him that he's not guaranteed his place, and also to give O'Regan game time should SOK be injured. I think the timing of it was unwise, to play him in the last two games. Probably should have been game 3+4, but it was also a bit of a knee-jerk response to game 3 v Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

by any chance does davin park have a stand? the weathers nearly as bad as it was for the cork game in the league

To try and tell him that he's not guaranteed his place, and also to give O'Regan game time should SOK be injured. I think the timing of it was unwise, to play him in the last two games. Probably should have been game 3+4, but it was also a bit of a knee-jerk response to game 3 v Kilkenny.

Seems a bit harsh on O'Regan. Nothing he did in those games was going to get him a place in the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    by any chance does davin park have a stand? the weathers nearly as bad as it was for the cork game in the league

No there's no stand in the Davin Park but its a lovely evening up here hopefully it will stay fine.

deiseach wrote: »
    Seems a bit harsh on O'Regan. Nothing he did in those games was going to get him a place in the Championship.

Will if he made a few great saves and was solid and had good puckouts. He had no saves to make really bar one smart stop from a deceptive high ball against Tipp I think. Put he pucked at least 3 balls straight out over the sideline in the two games, you can't really have that. Plus his puckouts are too high, gives the defender an advantage.

Could be worse like, most Counties seems to be rotating Keepers but it isn't always the way. I'd imagine he would prefer a chance to prove himself then just to be told he was sitting on the bench because they had already picked their number one. Whoever starts tonight should be there in two weeks time.

don't know if I can make it down, can anyone post up the teams for the matches tonight?

The teams https://twitter.com/DeiseHurling/status/335447139310243840/photo/1

Wonder will they give the keepers a half each.

Also noting the absence of Shane Walsh and O'Halloran. Is Brian O'Halloran doing exams I wonder?

Also noting the absence of Shane Walsh and O'Halloran. Is Brian O'Halloran doing exams I wonder?
    Cheers! yeah he's doing exams so wont be there. clashmore playing intermediate this weekend anyway so he'l have some match practice. Is shane walsh injured so?

• Advertisement

Cheers! yeah he's doing exams so wont be there. clashmore playing intermediate this weekend anyway so he'l have some match practice. Is shane walsh injured so?

Not that I'm aware of. He played against Tallow at the weekend anyway.

serious lack of forward options on the bench also, martin o neill I suppose but he's playing midfield in club championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Sure wellboy himself spent half his time winding people up too! Shambles of a site.

I was going to ignore that post you responded but you articulated my thought's perfectly.According to that fella Up The Deise was the only site that had trolls!They have problems with trolls now and again on other sites as well but the posters just ignore them and cut off their oxygen supply and when they do take it to far the admin drop the ban hammer.So that's no excuse for closing up a site.Up The Deise wasn't the first or last internet site to have that trouble.Anyway that's enough about Up The Deise!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 39,531 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tipp win u-21 game in Carrick tonight. 1-22 to 1-20, seems like it was a good game.

Half time in the Senior game and its Waterford 0-13 Tipp 1-9

hopefully someone has a few match reports!

Brian Flannery ‏@BrianJAFlannery 27s

Tony Browne returns for Waterford

:)

Can only assume he came on as a sub

Thomas Keane ‏@ThomasKeane1973

Tipperary 2-16 Waterford 1-18

Not sure if thats a FT

KevIRL wrote: »

Tipperary 2-16 Waterford 1-18

Not sure if thats a FT
    2-21 to 1-21 to tipp last score i've seen

2-21 to 1-21 to tipp last score i've seen

Ya thats a FT

Full time in Carrick on Suir, Tipperary 2-21 Waterford 1-21

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ya thats a FT

Full time in Carrick on Suir, Tipperary 2-21 Waterford 1-21

not to bad a result tbh,

any one have the tipp team that lined out ?

• Advertisement

what was the score in the U21 match ?

what was the score in the U21 match ?
    tipp won 1-22 to 1-20

tipp won 1-22 to 1-20

cheers man. nice one.

we were just unlucky in both games..

story of our lives lol

cheers man. nice one.

we were just unlucky in both games..

story of our lives lol
    Ah both teams will have different line outs for championship, I wouldn't read too much into tonights result I heard both teams weren't going full pace

Any match reports from both games would be much appreciated ha!

http://tomasmccarthy.blogspot.ie/2013/05/little-to-learn-as-tipp-make-late-dash.html

Anyone that has an interest in what is going on in Waterford should really bookmark his blog, very interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Tipperary 2-21 Waterford 1-21

Waterford really should have won this game comfortably but they failed to translate their dominance of possession in the first 50 minutes onto the scoreboard and paid for it in the end. It was a fine night apart from a light shower about halfway through and the game was played on a fairly good pitch. The big crowd gave the game a bit of atmosphere but it was really exhibition stuff with few injury stoppages.

Waterford were without Shane Walsh, Paudie Prendergast, Brian O’Sullivan, Gavin O’Brien and Brian O’Halloran but otherwise started with their strongest 15. Tipperary kept a lot of their big guns in reserve although most of them saw action at some stage.

It is hard to believe that Waterford were only one point ahead at half time (0-13 to 1-9) such was their domination of the opening 35 minutes. Their defence was on top in all departments, but the standout performance in the first half came from Darragh Fives in midfield who obliterated Shane McGrath and helped himself to four points in the process. Tipperary’s first half goal came when a long ball in by McGrath fell nicely to Pa Bourke who first timed to the net from close range.

At the other end, the massive supply of ball going into the forwards was yielding poor results, due to a combination of some good defending, a series of shots dropping short, a super save by Darren Gleeson from Seamus Prendergast and a couple of other goal chances that went astray. However, the main problem was the poor quality of ball being sent to the inside line, with ball being sent straight down the pitch to players with defenders up their arses, with little diagonal ball or ball into open space.

Waterford continued to dominate after the change of ends, and when Seamus Prendergast pounced on a breaking ball to fire to the net, they seemed to be set for a good win. Indeed, shortly afterwards Prendergast was unlucky when a last-ditch hook saw his shot from close range go the wrong side of the post.

However, the second half substitutions generally strengthened Tipp and weakened Waterford, and the home side gradually reeled Waterford in with a goal from Shane Bourke puttinh them in pole position entering what we thought were to closing stages. Waterford came back again with Jamie Barron landing the equaliser and when shortly afterwards Waterford got a 65 it looked like it would be the winning score. However, Padraic Mahony’s poorly struck shot went left of the post.

The game then went on for ten more minutes (presumably by prior arrangement) during which period Tipp reasserted their dominance to finish three points in front.

Waterford played a lot of good hurling in this game and they seem to be in good shape in terms of skill levels and attitude. Iggy O’Regan played the first half in goal with Stephen O’Keeffe (who made one excellent save) filling the role after the change of ends, and there is no doubt that the trajectory of the latter’s puckouts is far superior to O’Regan’s.

Liam Lawlor had a superb game right through while Shane Fives again impressed in the corner. Barry Coughlan replaced Noel Connors for the second half and once he got up to the pitch of the game I thought he did well. Brick Walsh was masterful at centre back until replaced by Tony Browne early in the second half, with Kevin Moran also turning in a strong performance. On the other wing, Jamie Nagle played lots of ball, but his deliveries were repeatedly poor, due to his tendency to hit the ball blind or give away possession.

Dean Twomey replaced Darragh Fives at half time and had virtually no impact on the game in the second half. I thought both Maurice Shanahan and Padraic Mahony (who took turns with the frees) showed signs of coming back to their best form. They both got a lot of possession and probably should have put more on the scoreboard. Seamus Prendergast was excellent in the half forward line in the first half and at full forward in the second until running out of steam a bit towards the end.

Ray Barry started at corner forward where he made no impression but he did well when moved to the wing from where he notched three points. Jake Dillon left his good recent club form behind and had little impact, while his second half replacement, Martin O’Neill, did no better. Things didn’t go well either for Jamie Barron, but he did show his creativity on the few occasions that he got the ball into his hand. The bigger pitch in Thurles would probably suit him better.

Team: Ian O’Regan; Shane Fives; Liam Lawlor; Noel Connors; Jamie Nagle; Brick Walsh; Kevin Moran; Shane O’Sullivan; Darragh Fives (0-4); Maurice Shanahan (0-4, 3 frees); Seamus Prendergast (1-3); Jake Dillon (0-1); Ray Barry (0-3); Padraic Mahony (0-5, 2 frees); Jamie Barron (0-1).
    Subs used: Stephen O’Keeffe, Barry Coughlin and Dean Twomey (half-time); Martin O’Neill, Eddie Barrett; Tony Browne (second half). There may have been a couple of other substitutions late on but it was hard to keep track and the subs’ numbers were different from what it said on the programme.

Under-21 challenge: Tipperary 1-22 Waterford 1-20

There was more of an edge to this game, as reflected in several injury stoppages. One of these involved the unfortunate Colin Dunford, who started very well and scored an excellent point but was forced off with what looked like a nasty leg injury after 15 minutes. Waterford were short five players who started in the senior game as well as Gavin O’Brien and Paudie Prendergast but still gave a good account of themselves and would probably not have lost had they taken a couple of tap-over points instead of looking for goals in the second half.

Tipperary had their emerging senior star Jason Forde playing, and dominated the first half, following which they led by 1-12 to 0-8 at half time. However, driven on by Shane McNulty and Donie Breathnach, Waterford charged back into the game after the change of ends and, with the help of a goal set up for Stephen Roche by Breathnach, they got back to parity ten minutes into the second half. The Waterford selectors then put on a slew of substitutes which clearly upset the team, and Tipperary regained total control to shoot six points on the trot.

However, to give them their due, Waterford fought back to dominate the closing stages and were unlucky, I thought, to be two points behind at the end.

Waterford had Darren Duggan in goal in the first half and Seanie Barry in the second. Both did well but I was particularly impressed by Barry’s distribution, especially from puckouts. They had a major problem at full back where Stephen O’Keeffe was at sea against the Tipp full forward. Eventually the selectors acted by moving Tadhg Bourke, who had started well at wing back, to the edge of the square with O’Keeffe moving to the corner, and Shane McNulty moving out.

This had a major impact on the game, as Bourke put the shackles on the full forward while McNulty (who starred at centre back for the county minors last years) proceeded to give a magnificent performance, completely dominating in his area for the remainder of the game. I see that De La Salle have also copped on and moved McNulty from the corner for their last game – I will never understand why they didn’t bring him on until it was too late in the Munster club final before Christmas.

Kieran Power did quite well at centre back as did Jim Power on the other wing. Waterford struggled a bit at midfield (I was surprised that Stephen Roche wasn’t deployed here) after Dunford went off while Eamon Murphy failed to get into the game at centre forward. Waterford played Cormac Heffernan on the wing when I think he is more useful in a central role. Donie Breathnach provided great leadership here, combining three points from play with eight from frees, and could have had a couple of more points were he not too eager to create goal chances.

Jack Lyons did a lot of good work and won a lot of ball both at full forward (where he started) and centre forward (where he moved to in the second half). Barry O’Sullivan also did some good work when he replaced Dunford.

Team: Darren Duggan (Dungarvan); Shane McNulty (De La Salle); Stephen O’Keeffe (Ballygunner); Shane Roche (Shamrocks); Tadhg Bourke (Clashmore); Kieran Power (Clonea); Jim Power (Butlerstown); Colin Dunford (Colligan) (0-1); Shane Ryan (Fourmilewater) (0-1); Donie Breathnach (An Rinn) (0-11, 8 frees); Eamon Murphy (Dunhill) (0-1); Cormac Heffernan (Ferrybank( (0-1); Stephen Roche (Mount Sion) (1-1); Jack Lyons (Ballyduff Lower) (0-1); Kieran Bennett (Ballysaggart) (0-1).

Subs used: Seanie Barry (Lismore); Tom Curran (Ballinameela); Ian Kenny (Ballygunner); Ray Ó Ceallagh (An Rinn); Barry O’Sullivan (Ballygunner).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

15 different clubs represented in the starting line up for the U21s, is that a first?

I was going to ignore that post you responded but you articulated my thought's perfectly.According to that fella Up The Deise was the only site that had trolls!

Straw man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,999 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id say davy has the clare team training really hard for the Waterford game

Prolby playing challenge games against bears and wolfs in the forest lol.

3rd time in 4 seasons we are playing them (So it could be 3rd time lucky for clare against us).

Remember what happend the last time Clare beat us in the Quarter Final of the munster championship ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement