Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I'm afraid that's the only idea I have at the moment (quoted in the above post by Miticus). Miticus was able to get UPC Romania to switch his modem over so I don't know why they wouldn't be able to do the same for you. You could give them a call and ask, or beg, them to do the same? They can do it remotely, there's no call-out required.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

@DECEiFER

Just to let you know that the bridge mode option could be coming to an end for any person who currently has an epc2203 modem and opts to upgrade their bb to 50Mb+, which will require a new modem.
    I upgraded this week and took delivery of a new modem.
    Was expecting an EPC3925 but got a Technicolor TC7200.UIR - I believe its a Thompson model, has no external wifi, and no bridge option available to select.
    A friend also upgraded this week and received one as well.
    Dublin based, so maybe its a localised thing.

Ended up speaking to a upc guy in self install section, because modem was not coming online.
    Asked him about the new modem, and he said they where quite new, they where the new standard, and currently shipping out loads at the moment. Asked about bridge mode, he said of course you can, just go into advanced and select menu option. Told him there was nothing obvious, so he went off to check. When he came back he said I was right no bridge mode. He said there was (not sure about that!), but that it should appear soon, as it took them a while to get it on the 3925 model.
    Sounded genuine, so not sure if he was mixing up the models.

WW

@DECEiFER

Just to let you know that the bridge mode option could be coming to an end for any person who currently has an epc2203 modem and opts to upgrade their bb to 50Mb+, which will require a new modem.
    I upgraded this week and took delivery of a new modem.
    Was expecting an EPC3925 but got a Technicolor TC7200.UIR - I believe its a Thompson model, has no external wifi, and no bridge option available to select.
    A friend also upgraded this week and received one as well.
    Dublin based, so maybe its a localised thing.

Ended up speaking to a upc guy in self install section, because modem was not coming online.
    Asked him about the new modem, and he said they where quite new, they where the new standard, and currently shipping out loads at the moment. Asked about bridge mode, he said of course you can, just go into advanced and select menu option. Told him there was nothing obvious, so he went off to check. When he came back he said I was right no bridge mode. He said there was (not sure about that!), but that it should appear soon, as it took them a while to get it on the 3925 model.
    Sounded genuine, so not sure if he was mixing up the models.

WW
    Hey, thanks for the heads-up on this. We'd appreciate any review you have on the device once you've had some usage of it under your belt to see if this is an improvement on the EPC3925.

Regarding Bridge mode: I'll give you the same advice I gave to the last poster, and it's advice I had seen given to someone else here before (so I can't take credit for it).
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    1. Disconnect the coaxial cable from the modem;
    2. Do a factory pin reset;
    3. Boot the modem up with just the LAN cable plugged in (not necessary if you're using WiFi, so long as you can connect to it);
    4. See if the "Working Mode" options appear on the "Administration > Management" page now;
    5. If not, try the HTML injection method;
    6. Select "Bridged Only" and then hit "Save Settings."

The idea of keeping the coaxial cable out and subsequently doing a factory reset is so that when the modem boots up with everything defaulted, it won't connect to UPC's network and get the DOCSIS configuration file, with all the options restricted that UPC doesn't want you to have. So please give it a shot and let us know how you get on.

Now, the wording in quotes and the menu locations will be different than what I've stated above but the idea is the same. By going into the menu where the option is supposed to be after a factory reset and before it gets to connect to UPC (even if you're not online with it yet, you should still factory reset it), you can check if the option is there, and if so, select it and head into Bridge mode. Then you can connect the coax back.

If you'd like to give that a try, we'd be grateful to hear how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Dam it!

I am expecting delivery of my new modem tomorrow so hopefully it's a 3925 so I can bridge it to my new Asus-AC router :o

If not then I don't really fancy being part of another UPC beta with the new Thompson model.

Anyone wanna translate this to see if it can be bridged, or not.
    Only thing I could find on Google
    http://www.chelloo.com/upc/index.php?topic=47998.0

Leiva wrote: »
    Dam it!

I am expecting delivery of my new modem tomorrow so hopefully it's a 3925 so I can bridge it to my new Asus-AC router :o

If not then I don't really fancy being part of another UPC beta with the new Thompson model.

Anyone wanna translate this to see if it can be bridged, or not.
    Only thing I could find on Google
    The OP mentions something similar to what I've said about factory resetting it. Just keep the coax out and set it into Bridge mode if the option shows.

If you get the Thompson, could you try that out you let us know how it goes?

• Advertisement

The OP mentions something similar to what I've said about factory resetting it. Just keep the coax out and set it into Bridge mode if the option shows.

If you get the Thompson, could you try that out you let us know how it goes?

Won't be for another 2 weeks as house still resembles a bomb site with the renovations going on.

Just hope it's a 3925 I get cause I am getting lots of hits on Google about the Thompson model, but my limited German can make most of the discussions being problems.

Edit:
    I found an English UPC manual for the Thompson TC7200 (don't know from what country) and sure enough from page 66 on that deals with the system menu on the GUI there is no option to change the "switch mode" to bridge, so it seems that UPC roll these out of the factory with this option disabled.
    Not gonna panic yet til I see what I get delivered, but all indications are that this is the modem currently being rolled out by UPC.

Heres the manual:http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/generic/int/tc7200.u_user_manual_eng_v17.pdf

Just back from the match - cmon leinster, now for the double.
    As regards bridge mode, I did connect to the device locally before I connected any coaxial cable, to see what was available, and that's when I knew, no bridge mode.
    Basically my network is on a 21 subnet with an asus rt-n16 running the show, so I set the modem up on a 31 subnet and left dhcp on, wireless off. The asus router got a 31 subnet wan address from the modem and everything works as normal.
    Due to cabling restrictions - have no coaxial cable (only a cat 6 cable) running from upc point to where I need the new modem/router, so hence running 2 separate devices at moment.
    After the weekend rugby will see what i can do - do want to try and run 1 box to see how it runs.

Edit: never even read the manual, but the guy I spoke to today sounded genuine (not a bullsh?ter) when i enquired about bridge mode, and he thought it was there, but when he checked, he didn't see it - never said 'we don't support bridge mode' which others have reported.
    Will wait and see - might not be the end of the world.

WW

Well lookie here:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvragen.upc.nl%2Fapp%2Fanswers%2Fdetail%2Fa_id%2F1153%2F~%2Feigen-router-aansluiten-op-technicolor-tc7200&act=url

It'd be great to get a look at the Dutch version and maybe see if it's possible to take some HTML code and inject it into the Irish ones.

My mother is due a new modem in the coming weeks so I'm going to assume that she'll be getting a TC7200. If so, I'll definitely have a look at it.

default login is admin/admin
    One thing to watch out for, is that its easy to get locked out of the router if you don't logout properly.
    I was changing its ip address, switching dhcp off etc, and each time you hit the save, it reloaded, and when you try and reconnect it would say something that login still in use on lan port.
    Would power cycle device to get back access (maybe should have tried to switch lan ports instead).
    Anyway still working this morning.

Interesting post here re bridging mode available on this model elsewhere

There is no 'Switch Mode' menu option in the system menu.

Only options are Password, Backup&Recovery, Log

Maybe its 'hidden':pac:

WW

• Advertisement

Interesting post here re bridging mode available on this model elsewhere

There is no 'Switch Mode' menu option in the system menu.

Only options are Password, Backup&Recovery, Log

Maybe its 'hidden':pac:

WW
    I thought I said that. :P
    Well lookie here:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fvragen.upc.nl%2Fapp%2Fanswers%2Fdetail%2Fa_id%2F1153%2F~%2Feigen-router-aansluiten-op-technicolor-tc7200&act=url

It'd be great to get a look at the Dutch version and maybe see if it's possible to take some HTML code and inject it into the Irish ones.

My mother is due a new modem in the coming weeks so I'm going to assume that she'll be getting a TC7200. If so, I'll definitely have a look at it.

Oops :o

@DECEiFER

Quick network question.
    Tried to setup my new modem/router and my asus router in a dmz.
    On modem/router set a dmz address in same subnet as modem/router but outside dhcp range.
    On asus configured wan port with static ip address of address above, 255.255.255.0 netmask and set default gateway and dns1 to address of modem/router.
    Could not get internet to work.
    Changed dns1 address on wan address to actual dns address that modem gets from upc, and it worked.
    All posts about setting up dmz seem to leave dns as blank or set it as address of modem.
    Is there some service/option not configured on my asus?
    Would it be good practice to have to use the upc dns addresses?

WW

@DECEiFER

Quick network question.
    Tried to setup my new modem/router and my asus router in a dmz.
    On modem/router set a dmz address in same subnet as modem/router but outside dhcp range.
    On asus configured wan port with static ip address of address above, 255.255.255.0 netmask and set default gateway and dns1 to address of modem/router.
    Could not get internet to work.
    Changed dns1 address on wan address to actual dns address that modem gets from upc, and it worked.
    All posts about setting up dmz seem to leave dns as blank or set it as address of modem.
    Is there some service/option not configured on my asus?
    Would it be good practice to have to use the upc dns addresses?

WW

It seems you did everything right. I take it that the ASUS is on a different subnet to the TC2700 also?

What you did by changing the DNS is not going to have a negative effect. In the end, by setting the DNS server to the default gateway, it's supposed to use the same DNS servers that the TC2700 gets - which are going to be the UPC ones anyways. It just seems strange that by setting the ASUS to use the TC2700 it doesn't work.

It seems then that the Internet was working but you were just unable to resolve DNS names to their IPs. This can be proven by visiting Google by its IP address http://74.125.138.102 when your ASUS Primary DNS is set to the TC2700's IP.

If you like, you can use another DNS server. You don't need to use UPC's. There are Google Public DNS and OpenDNS, among others, to choose from, and you can set their IPs in the router. However, if you're manually setting the DNS to anything but the default gateway or auto, be sure to fill in the second field also with the Secondary/Alternate DNS IP - it's a fallback in case the Primary DNS goes down.

I take it that the ASUS is on a different subnet to the TN2700 also?
    Yes on different subnets.
    It seems then that the Internet was working but you were just unable to resolve DNS names to their IPs.
    That's exactly what happened (just forgot to include that info in original post) and what prompted me to try the upc dns servers.
    Just thought it odd that the default g/w address did not work.

Thks for clarification.

Not sure if putting the ASUS in a dmz has any benefits for me (don't have a need for vpn or port forwarding).

Currently just running TC7200 with wireless off, dhcp on, and on subnet 51.
    ASUS running with dhcp and wireless on, but on subnet 21.

What's the difference this and a dmz setup?

Yes on different subnets.

That's exactly what happened (just forgot to include that info in original post) and what prompted me to try the upc dns servers.
    Just thought it odd that the default g/w address did not work.

Thks for clarification.

Not sure if putting the ASUS in a dmz has any benefits for me (don't have a need for vpn or port forwarding).

Currently just running TC7200 with wireless off, dhcp on, and on subnet 51.
    ASUS running with dhcp and wireless on, but on subnet 21.

What's the difference this and a dmz setup?
    The DMZ setup has the disadvantage of adding another hop to the the Internet. A very low-latency hop, but still another hop.

I'm not so sure about the TC7200. I don't know whether or not it's a good router with good WiFi. Assuming that it's a fine router, using DMZ mode over regular Bridge mode probably won't have any noticeable difference. On the EPC3925, it's such a shít router that you just want it off, for the good of all mankind and the Internet alike!

The ASUS is most likely a better router even if the TC7200 is good so I'd say go for it in DMZ and perform the regular types of test (latency and speed) on various different sites/servers. If you're a WiFi user, try testing both from the farthest corner of your house (move up or down a storey - where applicable and depending on what storey the routers are located).

On the EPC3925, it's such a shít router that you just want it off, for the good of all mankind and the Internet alike!
    Well you might get your wish, if upc are rolling out the TC7200's.

Will make up a long coax cable during the week, and maybe pull the ASUS out and replace it with the TC7200 to see how it performs.
    Busy 2 weeks for bodies at home so might not be able to mess around with internet/phone availability.

WW

Well you might get your wish, if upc are rolling out the TC7200's.

Will make up a long coax cable during the week, and maybe pull the ASUS out and replace it with the TC7200 to see how it performs.
    Busy 2 weeks for bodies at home so might not be able to mess around with internet/phone availability.

WW
    So long as you're getting good results with the way things are now, there's no rush. It'll be interesting to see how the TC2700 compares with the EPC3925, though. It'd be tough to test. I could do it but it'd mean taking the net down here while I go to my parents' house (assuming they get the TC2700), and that might not bode well with everyone else in the house here.

Ok new modem arrived and sure enough it's the TC7200.

I called UPC and asked about bridge mode being available and a nice guy checked it out for me and said it is not available, but that's not to say it will never be available and could be something in the next firmware release.

I asked about getting a 3925 as a replacement (I have just invested in a very good router so really need to bridge the modem) and the really nice guy said that if I told him that I had devices that only use WEP then he would swap for a 3925, as the TC7200 doesn't do WEP encryption or is having problems communicating with WEP devices.

I don't have any WEP devices but the guy gave me a heads up, so this might be an option for some of you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Quite frankly if someone has spent a great deal of money on their own router and are paying a considerable sum of money a year for a broadband service, they should be entitled to use their own router. UPC should accommodate those of us who want to go down this road instead of us having to lie about our setup.

Granted, there are individuals who just want UPC to do all the work for them. All they want to do is pay and fee and get online with as little hassle and tinkering as possible. But don't alienate the rest of us who want the freedom to experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

I wonder what happens if I download and install firmware from the Thompson/Technicolor site?
    Would that balls it up for UPC?

I wonder what happens if I download and install firmware from the Thompson/Technicolor site?
    Would that balls it up for UPC?
    Is there even an option to do so? I seriously doubt that they'd leave that available on purpose!

I wouldn't even attempt it because it could feck it up where authenticating with UPC is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 freeq

Leiva wrote: »
    Ok new modem arrived and sure enough it's the TC7200.

I called UPC and asked about bridge mode being available and a nice guy checked it out for me and said it is not available, but that's not to say it will never be available and could be something in the next firmware release.

I asked about getting a 3925 as a replacement (I have just invested in a very good router so really need to bridge the modem) and the really nice guy said that if I told him that I had devices that only use WEP then he would swap for a 3925, as the TC7200 doesn't do WEP encryption or is having problems communicating with WEP devices.

I don't have any WEP devices but the guy gave me a heads up, so this might be an option for some of you guys.

Signed up for UPC and got the TC7200 earlier in the week. Configuration on it is very limited no Bridge mode, no DynDNS support, couldn't see port forwarding, very scabby. I rang and explained I am having issues with WiFi (I genuinely wasn't having much luck with it) and also running my own subnet so won't be able to connect without DynDNS and Port Forwarding - could I get this sleek new brick replaced for 3925. Tech said he's taking that I have old PC running WEP and Technicolor doesn't support WEP. They need to send someone out to replace the modem so will post an update early next week.

I will hook up my old laptop when they arrive - just in case..

freeq wrote: »
    Signed up for UPC and got the TC7200 earlier in the week. Configuration on it is very limited no Bridge mode, no DynDNS support, couldn't see port forwarding, very scabby. I rang and explained I am having issues with WiFi (I genuinely wasn't having much luck with it) and also running my own subnet so won't be able to connect without DynDNS and Port Forwarding - could I get this sleek new brick replaced for 3925. Tech said he's taking that I have old PC running WEP and Technicolor doesn't support WEP. They need to send someone out to replace the modem so will post an update early next week.

I will hook up my old laptop when they arrive - just in case..
    Yeah, I've seen the WEP thing mentioned in the last few days elsewhere on Boards. All you have to do is agree that your network adapter is ancient and you need WEP support. I'd get in quick, because it's likely that the EPC3925 is in limited supply if they're now only getting TC2700 routers in, so hopefully they don't run out!

Who'd have thought, the EPC3925 is the preferred device of choice for UPC customers. :D

Not sure how you will get on, as they have point blank refused to replace my TC7200 with a 3925:(

Yeah, I've seen the WEP thing mentioned in the last few days elsewhere on Boards. All you have to do is agree that your network adapter is ancient and you need WEP support. I'd get in quick, because it's likely that the EPC3925 is in limited supply if they're now only getting TC2700 routers in, so hopefully they don't run out!

Who'd have thought, the EPC3925 is the preferred device of choice for UPC customers. :D

They are sending someone out next week. I am hoping they will just drop it over but have to be clever about it, don't want to loose this chance.
    Not sure how you will get on, as they have point blank refused to replace my TC7200 with a 3925:(

What you mean ? Have you already tried this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

freeq wrote: »
    They are sending someone out next week. I am hoping they will just drop it over but have to be clever about it, don't want to loose this chance.

Guys from UPC on the forum are just plain refusing to replace any of their modems.

See my thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056953267

I have only ever had a modem from UPC, and supplied my own routers.
    When I upgraded I got the TC7200 which as you know is a modem/router with limited control over.

But, see how you get on, and stick to your reasons for looking for a change.
    Post back on how you get on.

See my thread here

When I upgraded I got the TC7200 which as you know is a modem/router with limited control over.

How are you getting on with DMZ'ing to at least gain some control back?

Did you also sort your DNS issue?

• Advertisement

See my thread here

I am switching over from land line internet and was able to set it up to all my needs so if UPC refuse to give me workable router/modem. I will (sadly) ask to cancel the service altogether.

Advertisement