Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Who'd have thought, the EPC3925 is the preferred device of choice for UPC customers. :D

True, but the problem I see with looking for a 3925 now, is that it will solve the problem for one individual, but the longer term solution would be to have a more standard modem/router available to everyone, and let them decide what mode to run it in.

If upc are supplying the TC7200 as standard, how long will they keep stock of the 3925's - what happens when your 3925 dies.

freeq wrote: »
    I am switching over from land line internet and was able to set it up to all my needs so if UPC refuse to give me workable router/modem. I will (sadly) ask to cancel the service altogether.

There is a link to a translated manual somewhere here, just cannot find it.
    Think its from a upc.ro site. When I looked through it, it seemed to match what options are available on the Irish model.
    Have a look through it, and see if what you are looking to use is available.
    The routing options are very sparse compared to any decent router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

True, but the problem I see with looking for a 3925 now, is that it will solve the problem for one individual, but the longer term solution would be to have a more standard modem/router available to everyone, and let them decide what mode to run it in.

If upc are supplying the TC7200 as standard, how long will they keep stock of the 3925's - what happens when your 3925 dies.
    Or worse still, isn't the new Horizon TV box supposed to be an all-in-one device that's also a modem/router? If so, and if they just end up supplying those in the future, we'll have even less control to look forward to. :(

All-in-one Horizon box is currently not for me yet (and maybe never).
    I think people will only realise the shortcomings of the setup once they have it, and then it might be too late.
    Don't think it will work for broadband active families - imagine having to reboot the box regularly and killing all the active ps3/wii/xbox/laptop/phones.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

All-in-one Horizon box is currently not for me yet (and maybe never).
    I think people will only realise the shortcomings of the setup once they have it, and then it might be too late.
    Don't think it will work for broadband active families - imagine having to reboot the box regularly and killing all the active ps3/wii/xbox/laptop/phones.:eek:

Yeah. All in one, although desireable for a lot of things, this is not one of them. Will not be upgrading as soon as it comes out. Maybe if they enable bridge but I doubt that.

• Advertisement

From reading through posts here, I think you can have your horizon box configured to be in client mode - consolidated mode I think its called.
    Modem and some router functions are disabled, so it just acts like an wireless access point and simple switch. It is then connected to your upc supplied modem which handles the main router and modem functions.
    Also think there might be some issues with using the network media features if its not connected correctly.

My understanding on how these boxes work is that having bridge mode available would be pointless as they need to be connected to a network to function.
    No point in having it running as a modem, to connect it to a router, to then connect back to the box so that its connected to the network.

From reading through posts here, I think you can have your horizon box configured to be in client mode - consolidated mode I think its called.
    Modem and some router functions are disabled, so it just acts like an wireless access point and simple switch. It is then connected to your upc supplied modem which handles the main router and modem functions.
    Also think there might be some issues with using the network media features if its not connected correctly.

My understanding on how these boxes work is that having bridge mode available would be pointless as they need to be connected to a network to function.
    No point in having it running as a modem, to connect it to a router, to then connect back to the box so that its connected to the network.

Yeah that's true. So long as I can use my own router I will be happy.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true. So long as I can use my own router I will be happy.

I suppose the different n/w configurations could be

a) all-in-one horizon box

b) upc modem/router/phone -> horizon box

c) upc modem/phone -> customer router -> horizon box

option a) would probably be the standard install
    option b) maybe for customers upgrading to horizon, but upc would probably push for a)
    option c) well :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 freeq

See my thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056953267

I have only ever had a modem from UPC, and supplied my own routers.
    When I upgraded I got the TC7200 which as you know is a modem/router with limited control over.

But, see how you get on, and stick to your reasons for looking for a change.
    Post back on how you get on.

Done and dusted, got it replaced with EPC3925 so thats the end of it hopefully.
    So now I can use WEP :D

Did they send you one for a self install, or did you they send out an engineer with the 3925?
    If they did, did he check out your wep story..., or just replace the boxes?
    Assume he took the 7200 away!

• Advertisement

freeq wrote: »
    Done and dusted, got it replaced with EPC3925 so thats the end of it hopefully.
    So now I can use WEP :D
    Ah yes, the ol' WEP. How's that goin' for ya? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 freeq

Did they send you one for a self install, or did you they send out an engineer with the 3925?
    If they did, did he check out your wep story..., or just replace the boxes?
    Assume he took the 7200 away!

Engineer came out but it I had to explain all over again as if they only told him there is a problem with the connection. He initially wanted to see that WEP option (wasnt aware) in 7200 isnt available and then just brought 3925 and said he's swapping and taking 7200.

Happy days then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

returning to this thread after a couple of months not following it

I switched my EPC3925 to bridging mode using the original instructions as I was never offered the mode (not sure why).
    I have a Netgear N600 acting as my main router now.
    This has been running fine for a few months (thanks again DECEiFER).

I've just been upgraded by UPC from 120MB to 150MB but this isn't being reflected by speedtest.net or the UPC speed test.

Have logged a post in the UPC forum but would having it in this "hacked" bridge mode have anything to do with it?

frash wrote: »

I switched my EPC3925 to bridging mode using the original instructions as I was never offered the mode (not sure why).

I've just been upgraded by UPC from 120MB to 150MB but this isn't being reflected by speedtest.net or the UPC speed test.

Have logged a post in the UPC forum but would having it in this "hacked" bridge mode have anything to do with it?

Just a quick off topic question. Did you contact them regarding the free upgrade or did they contact you. I should be in line for an upgrade to 100Mb by the end of this month/early next month.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Just a quick off topic question. Did you contact them regarding the free upgrade or did they contact you. I should be in line for an upgrade to 100Mb by the end of this month/early next month.

They contacted me

The so called hack is not really a hack as such, in that all it did was enable a menu option that UPC Ireland for some unknown reason decided to hide from you. The option is fully supported by the hardware, and it should have nothing to do with restricting speed.

The speed could be restricted by upc themselves (your profile not updated yet), or your router or cabling.
    You could test the real speed of your connection, by disconnecting your router from the epc3925 and connecting your pc using a wired connection to the 3925. Run speedtests again and see what you get.

The so called hack is not really a hack as such, in that was enable a menu option that UPC Ireland for some unknown reason decided to hide from you. The option is fully supported by the hardware, and it should have nothing to do with restricting speed.

The speed could be restricted by upc themselves (your profile not updated yet), or your router or cabling.
    You could test the real speed of your connection, by disconnecting your router from the epc3925 and connecting your pc using a wired connection to the 3925. Run speedtests again and see what you get.

Thanks for the info
    Can I plug my pc straight into the 3925 when it's in bridged mode or do I need to return it to "regular" mode?

Am also going to buy a couple of cat6 cables just to rule that it as I'm using cat5e now but one is looking a bit battered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 miticus

Thanks for the info
    Can I plug my pc straight into the 3925 when it's in bridged mode or do I need to return it to "regular" mode?

Am also going to buy a couple of cat6 cables just to rule that it as I'm using cat5e now but one is looking a bit battered.

You can plug the pc into 3925 while in bridged-mode. You will get a public IP address, so be sure to have the firewall turned on without exceptions and an antivirus program active and up-to-date.

miticus beat me to it about firewall and getting a public address when connected to 3925.
    As regards cabling, cat5e will do gigabit speeds, so unless its really bad, then I would be in no rush to replace them. All you need is one decent cable to verify what speed you are actually getting at the 3925.
    If its 150MB, then you need to look local, if not its a upc problem.

• Advertisement

Hey frash,

My guess like the guys above would be that UPC hasn't upgraded you yet. But to be sure of that, hook up directly to the EPC in both Bridge and Router mode with a Cat5e and test your speed using the UPC Speed Test (the servers on SpeedTest.net are a bit nasty when it comes to our quick connections).

Hey frash,

My guess like the guys above would be that UPC hasn't upgraded you yet. But to be sure of that, hook up directly to the EPC in both Bridge and Router mode with a Cat5e and test your speed using the UPC Speed Test (the servers on SpeedTest.net are a bit nasty when it comes to our quick connections).

Thanks for the info all.
    Just tried it directly into the router and there was no change in speed.
    Just ordered two CAT6 cables as I know that's one of the first things they'll ask me to try if I ring them.

UPC rep on here said all looked ok with my line & I was to ring "the tech guys" so will do that once I get to try the new cables.

Thanks for the info all.
    Just tried it directly into the router and there was no change in speed.
    Just ordered two CAT6 cables as I know that's one of the first things they'll ask me to try if I ring them.

UPC rep on here said all looked ok with my line & I was to ring "the tech guys" so will do that once I get to try the new cables.
    If they would tell you to get CAT6, they should lose their jobs and make room for people who actually know a thing or two. CAT5e over short distances (ie. cabling a home) is more than sufficient for the job. I've tried CAT6, I have a cable or two lying around, there really is no difference. I was on 150Mb for a brief while during February this year and my current CAT5e cables worked perfectly, I was truckin' full speed ahead. My EPC3925 was also in Bridge mode throughout.

Whatever your problem is, it's not going to be solved by replacing CAT5e with CAT6 cables, unless your CAT5e cables are damaged.

If they would tell you to get CAT6, they should lose their jobs and make room for people who actually know a thing or two. CAT5e over short distances (ie. cabling a home) is more than sufficient for the job. I've tried CAT6, I have a cable or two lying around, there really is no difference. I was on 150Mb for a brief while during February this year and my current CAT5e cables worked perfectly, I was truckin' full speed ahead. My EPC3925 was also in Bridge mode throughout.

Whatever your problem is, it's not going to be solved by replacing CAT5e with CAT6 cables, unless your CAT5e cables are damaged.

One of the CAT5e cables looks a bit battered.
    I know CAT5e should do the job but I just got CAT6 when buying - they were under €3 each as I only bought 1m of each.

One of the CAT5e cables looks a bit battered.
    I know CAT5e should do the job but I just got CAT6 when buying - they were under €3 each as I only bought 1m of each.
    Ah, I suppose it can't hurt then.

Have you logged into MyUPC to see what products you have on your account? Assuming it' up-to-date, it should say if you have 150Mb broadband.

On the issue of cat5e/cat6 cables, just checked the cable supplied with the TC7200 router and its only a cat5e.
    So if you are testing speeds use that upc supplied cable.
    If upc talk about requiring a cat6 cable, then ask them why they are not supplying one with the router!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

And Cat5e is fine for 1Gbps networks. No way you need Cat6 for only 150Mbps - that stuff will do 10Gpbs over short distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Can i ask you a question i have a bridge mode in cisco menu - that one is not good enough and i still have to inject code(i asume that will be the TRUE bridge mode?) or they changed something in the meantime?
    Just asking because i am getting tomorrow netgear from argos.

And do i have to use wan or lan port to connect it or actually lan port 1 from cisco and wan from netgear - if there is any(the yellow port?)?

loki7777 wrote: »
    Can i ask you a question i have a bridge mode in cisco menu - that one is not good enough and i still have to inject code(i asume that will be the TRUE bridge mode?) or they changed something in the meantime?
    Just asking because i am getting tomorrow netgear from argos.

And do i have to use wan or lan port to connect it or actually lan port 1 from cisco and wan from netgear - if there is any(the yellow port?)?

Don't have one myself, but if you can see a menu option for Bridge mode, then all you have to do is select it.
    To connect the 2 devices together, connect wan port of new router to lan port on cisco 3925, and you should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gunio

Hi there from Poland.
    This is great thread, however not relevant anymore. Have tried these instructions:
    1. Disconnect the coaxial cable from the modem;
    2. Do a factory pin reset;
    3. Boot the modem up with just the LAN cable plugged in (not necessary if you're using WiFi, so long as you can connect to it);
    4. See if the "Working Mode" options appear on the "Administration > Management" page now;
    5. If not, try the HTML injection method;
    6. Select "Bridged Only" and then hit "Save Settings."

And it does not help. Looks like EPC3925 comes with the UPC-made firmware already in the box. The 403 Forbidden is somehow not an error but just plain simple HTML page with black bacground and white font.

UPC in Poland would not give me an option to put it in Bridge mode neither to choose any other modem without router.
    Sad.:(

Advertisement