Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

  • 19-09-2012 4:11am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    Hi folks,

    As the thread's title suggests, this is for those of you who'd like to stick their Cisco EPC3925 modem/router devices from UPC into true Bridge mode without DMZ'ing and double NAT'ing. I have been unsatisfied with the not being able to enable it since day one. This is the solution for everyone who would prefer not to use the EPC3925's thin and terrible routing functions by using another router of your own choosing to handle all of that for you while not having to DMZ or double NAT to get it to work.

    The questions that are probably on your mind is how can it be done and is it safe? The answer to both is simply: yes, 100%. I'm posting this right now from my EPC3925 bridged with my WNDR3700v1! The best and re-assuring part is: doing this won't break your phone service like it did with the EPC2425. Myself and some other users have tested the phone service while in Bridge mode, both making and receiving calls, and it was 100% successful without any issues or delays in connecting the calls. However, if you want to go back to Router mode for whatever reason, you can do so at any time just as easily as you enabled Bridge mode (see the IMPORTANT NOTE at the bottom of this post).

    The fact is, I had a feeling that UPC might have been lazy about removing the functionality and it's true, they half-assed it. They simply hid the functionality by removing some client-side code from the Management page, but the ASP server-side code is still intact. I haven't seen the server-side code as I haven't hacked the device to dump the firmware. I had a suspicion and I went about trying to prove it. It could just as easily gone the other way as far as I was concerned at the time. The solution then is simple; replace the client-side HTML code that was removed! Don't worry, I'll explain how to do it properly. Please keep reading...

    I spent time fannying around with different HTML code possibilities and looking at the language JavaScript file (lang.js) instantiated in the HTML headers. The process involved a bit of trial and error, is all. If my efforts had failed, I had considered going onto Whirlpool.com.au to ask BigPond cable broadband subscribers in Australia to post their Management page's HTML source before giving up! BigPond uses (or has used) the EPC3925 also and their firmware does not have the Bridge mode option hidden.

    So, just for reference only, this is similar to the code that was removed by UPC:
    [html]<!-- working mode -->
    <div id="WorkingMode">
    <table class="std">
    <tr>
    <td nowrap width="95">
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    dw(vbcontype2);
    </script>
    </td>
    <td>
    <select name="working_mode" size="1" id="working_mode" onchange="selectWorkingMode()">
    <option name="router" value=0><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap4);</script>
    <option name="bridged" value=1><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">dw(vbencap5);</script>
    </select>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>[/html]

    Below I have written up a step-by-step guide on how to make Bridge mode happen. It'll take only a moment or two to get through all of the steps.


    !!! REMEMBER !!!
    Please be reminded that after setting the EPC3925 into Bridge mode, UPC's phone service will continue to work as it always has. This has been tried and tested and the problems facing the EPC2425 in Bridge mode were not carried over to the EPC3925. I'm reiterating this here for anyone who may have skimmed over the first few paragraphs of this post.


    Prerequisite:
    - A web browser or browser extension that is capable of live manipulation of a website's HTML source code (Opera is my browser of choice for this task)


    Guide:
    1. Connect to the EPC3925's web configuration using Ethernet and disable all routing functions (DHCP, Wireless, Firewall, DMZ, UPnP, and any active port forwards) just to be safe. Wireless at the very least, won't get disabled automatically when the device is put into Bridge mode.
    2. Navigate to the Administration > Management page and view the page's source code.
    3. Copy the new HTML code in full, which I have provided at: http://pastebin.com/W0eQy7mM.
    4. Select all the HTML code in the EPC3925's Management page source and paste in the new HTML code to replace it (don't worry, it's not a permanent change - it will revert back once you refresh - this won't void your warranty!).
    5. Apply the changes and switch back to the EPC3925's Management page's tab, where you should now see a new menu called "Working Mode" at the top.
    6. Select "Bridged Only" and then Apply.
    7. Your EPC3925 should then reboot automatically to effect the changes. When it comes back up, it'll be in Bridge mode. You can now navigate to the web configuration using http://192.168.100.1.
    8. Set your own cable router to bridge with the EPC3925 and you should then be online. You're on your own on this one as every router is different!


    That's it! Again, if you're having trouble, I suggest you use Opera to do this as it's perfect for the job and it's really easy. If you're still having trouble, hit me with a PM with as much details as possible about the problem(s) you're having and with what you have tried (if anything) to remedy them, and I'd be happy to help.

    Just to explain a bit further: the concept behind the HTML code is that it adds more POST data to the form on the Management page, POST data that was there before UPC took it away, which the ASP server-side code still checks for; that is why it is possible to enable Bridge mode without resorting to hacking the device to install custom firmware and therefore risk bricking it. We're not adding the functionality back, we're just bringing it out of hiding. This is 100% safe and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to use their own cable router.


    IMPORTANT NOTE:
    If you want to revert back to Router mode for whatever reason, you can do this using one of two methods.

    Method 1: Repeat the steps above from scratch and switch back to "Router Mode" via the "Working Mode" menu (this will put you right back where you started with your previous custom settings intact).
    Method 2: Perform a hard reset by sticking a pin into that "Reset" hole at the back of the device (you'll lose all your previous custom settings by using this method).


    Here's a few images showing the "Working Mode" menu back with a bang! You'll also see my WNDR3700v1 getting the public IP dynamically from the ISP, whereas using a static LAN IP was necessary when DMZ'ing and double NAT'ing, to ensure a direct path to the Internet through the EPC3925's DMZ. The last image shows the Voice page when in Bridge mode with everything looking normal and operational for phone users.

    epc3925bridge1.th.pngepc3925bridge2.th.pngepc3925bridge3.th.pngepc3925bridge4.th.png
    epc3925bridge5.th.pngepc3925bridge6.th.pngepc3925bridgevoice.th.png


«13456743

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 36,078 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    Very nice. Love how lazy they were in just clipping out the HTML rather than actually modding the code.


    For clarity for average joe maybe put that phone will be disabled in a foreword before they get buried in things. I know you mentioned it, but boardsies have a habit of skimming over large portions of text:rolleyes:

    Good work man.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    Excellent work. Was working on a similar workaround for the Thomson 870 modem, which works in theory.
    Good to know that Opera has a "live" edit feature, exactly what I need for it to work.
    Can't wait to get home so I can test my theory in practice! :D
    Thanks again,
    Mick.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    ED E wrote: »
    Very nice. Love how lazy they were in just clipping out the HTML rather than actually modding the code.


    For clarity for average joe maybe put that phone will be disabled in a foreword before they get buried in things. I know you mentioned it, but boardsies have a habit of skimming over large portions of text:rolleyes:

    Good work man.
    No problem, and you're right, I probably overdid the post a bit so I'll stick a caution that even a skimmer will notice. :)

    It's pretty funny that they did leave the code in. Maybe it was due to lack of expertise rather than laziness. Either way, it's good news for us. Thanks for commenting. :D

    If you're not using your UPC phone service, could you please give it a try and post back that it worked (I'm sure it will work!)? To hear that it has worked for people other than me would probably instill more confidence for people that are on the fence. No worries if it's an inconvenience and thanks for posting.

    roast wrote: »
    Excellent work. Was working on a similar workaround for the Thomson 870 modem, which works in theory.
    Good to know that Opera has a "live" edit feature, exactly what I need for it to work.
    Can't wait to get home so I can test my theory in practice! :D
    Thanks again,
    Mick.
    Yeah, Opera was favored by quite a number of web developers back in the good ol' 00s and it still could be.

    If you're going to try this on your Thompson, you'll need to know exactly what POST data needs to go through. In the HTML code removed, the crucial bit is name="bridged", which is what the server code will be looking for. If it doesn't get it, it moves on without a bother, but if it does get the data, it's "Yes, sir, bridge mode it is!" :cool:

    You might need to resort to Googling certain HTML code elements to see if anyone has posted the HTML code of the Thompson model you have or one similar to it. If so, then it may have the HTML for setting Bridge mode intact. That was going to be my next plan. :pac:

    So long as it's a case that the Thompson originally supported Bridge mode and UPC simply removed the HTML in the same way they did it for the EPC3925, the chances are you will figure it out, so don't give up. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I don't have a Thompson device to work with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah, Opera was favored by quite a number of web developers back in the good ol' 00s and it still could be.

    If you're going to try this on your Thompson, you'll need to know exactly what POST data needs to go through. In the HTML code removed, the crucial bit is name="bridged", which is what the server code will be looking for. If it doesn't get it, it moves on without a bother, but if it does get the data, it's "Yes, sir, bridge mode it is!" :cool:

    You might need to resort to Googling certain HTML code elements to see if anyone has posted the HTML code of the Thompson model you have or one similar to it. If so, then it may have the HTML for setting Bridge mode intact. That was going to be my next plan. :pac:

    So long as it's a case that the Thompson originally supported Bridge mode and UPC simply removed the HTML in the same way they did it for the EPC3925, the chances are you will figure it out, so don't give up. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I don't have a Thompson device to work with.

    Believe it or not, it's even easier than that. From what I recall (It was a few weeks ago I was looking at it) the HTML referencing the function is there, it just has comment tags around it. :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    roast wrote: »
    Believe it or not, it's even easier than that. From what I recall (It was a few weeks ago I was looking at it) the HTML referencing the function is there, it just has comment tags around it. :pac:
    Hahahahaha, oh dear. Looks like they copped on by the time they began issuing the EPC3925. Well, sort of!

    Good luck, I really do hope it's just that easy! Post back when you give it a try to let us know. :)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Hahahahaha, oh dear. Looks like they copped on by the time they began issuing the EPC3925. Well, sort of!

    Good luck, I really do hope it's just that easy! Post back when you give it a try to let us know. :)

    Looks like it! :D

    Will do, gonna try it this evening. Thanks again, if it wasn't for the mention of Opera, I was gonna go the long way around by trying to dump the firmware, modify it, and flash the modem with it. Alas, I could never find the Telnet login to do so.
    Will post back later!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    roast wrote: »
    Looks like it! :D

    Will do, gonna try it this evening. Thanks again, if it wasn't for the mention of Opera, I was gonna go the long way around by trying to dump the firmware, modify it, and flash the modem with it. Alas, I could never find the Telnet login to do so.
    Will post back later!
    Yeah, absolutely no problem. I felt it was only right to share this because of all the threads and posts I'd seen asking about it.

    I hope dumping the firmware and modifying it is overkill because that could be dangerous and you might end up having to fork over €45 for a new router if it goes the way of the brick. I probably wouldn't have done that because I'd have two very unimpressed housemates if they had to do without Internet for any number of days and I wouldn't be too impressed either! I also tried to telnet in to see if the functionality was removed from there but I couldn't get in either, I don't think telnet is supported with the EPC3925. :eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Yeah no problem. I felt it was only right to share this because of all the threads and posts I'd seen asking about it.

    I hope dumping the firmware and modifying it is overkill because that could be dangerous and you might end up having to fork over €45 for a new router if it goes the way of the brick. I probably wouldn't have done that because I'd have two very unimpressed housemates if they had to do without Internet for any number of days and I wouldn't be too impressed either! I also tried to tenet in to see if the functionality was removed from there but I couldn't get in either. :eek:

    Very true! Although at this point, I'd do anything for bridge mode. Despite paying for the business package. :pac:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 Markus Cuddly Busboy


    roast wrote: »
    Excellent work. Was working on a similar workaround for the Thomson 870 modem, which works in theory.
    Good to know that Opera has a "live" edit feature, exactly what I need for it to work.
    Can't wait to get home so I can test my theory in practice! :D
    Thanks again,
    Mick.


    Did you get any further with it? I have the 870 piece of junk.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    roast wrote: »
    Excellent work. Was working on a similar workaround for the Thomson 870 modem, which works in theory.
    Good to know that Opera has a "live" edit feature, exactly what I need for it to work.
    Can't wait to get home so I can test my theory in practice! :D
    Thanks again,
    Mick.


    Did you get any further with it? I have the 870 piece of junk.

    Will know in about an hour or so.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    (This will be my last post on it, sorry for thread-jacking!)

    Just on the Thomson TWG870 Bridge Mode...

    The STBA.01.50 firmware version doesn't include the "RgSwitchMode.asp" page, or any reference to it.
    Some countries firmware have the page, others don't. Some that do have the page hidden, but can use HTML code to access the function, despite the actual page being hidden/unlinked.
    Unfortunately, for the current firmware that UPC Ireland use, the page isn't even present, not just hidden, and the HTML code doesn't work.

    Here's the code in case anyone is curious, or has any further ideas.
    <form action=http://192.168.0.1/goform/RgSwitchMode method=POST name="RgSwitchMode">
    <table style="font-family: Helvetica;font-size:14">
    <tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td colspan=2> </td></tr>
    <tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>Current Mode </td> <td>Cable Modem?</td> </tr>
    <tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td>Switch Mode </td> <td><select name="ChoiceMode">
    <option value=0 selected>Cable Modem<option value=1 >Residential Gateway</select></td> </tr>
    <tr bgcolor=#CCCCCC><td colspan=3 align=center><input type="Submit" value="Apply" align="MIDDLE"></td>
    </tr></table></form>

    Speaking to UPC again today, they're unable to provision it. Unable or unwilling, I don't know. Which is a shame.
    My phone service doesn't work anyway! :pac:

    Cheers again to the OP for the help.
    -Mick.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    roast wrote: »
    (This will be my last post on it, sorry for thread-jacking!)

    Just on the Thomson TWG870 Bridge Mode...

    The STBA.01.50 firmware version doesn't include the "RgSwitchMode.asp" page, or any reference to it.
    Some countries firmware have the page, others don't. Some that do have the page hidden, but can use HTML code to access the function, despite the actual page being hidden/unlinked.
    Unfortunately, for the current firmware that UPC Ireland use, the page isn't even present, not just hidden, and the HTML code doesn't work.

    Here's the code in case anyone is curious, or has any further ideas.


    Speaking to UPC again today, they're unable to provision it. Unable or unwilling, I don't know. Which is a shame.
    My phone service doesn't work anyway! :pac:

    Cheers again to the OP for the help.
    -Mick.

    That's an aweful shame; it's unfortunate that the functions are laid out into their own ASP pages. It made it easy for them to comment out the HTML and not include the page.

    Does the Thompson support firmware upgrades? The EPC3925 has no such feature included with UPC's firmware. The only solution that comes to mind is finding another firmware and somehow dumping the UPC one, merging the missing page, and flashing the modified UPC firmware again.

    Or, else, you could just ask UPC to send you a EPC3925, maybe say it stopped working or whatever it takes to get a freebie from them, if €45 seems like a bit much for a crappy replacement device that has only one advantage; it can be bridged by using the methods above.

    Let us know how you get on, you're grand posting here about it, no worries there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ Paul007


    Shame about the TWG870, was hoping bridge mode was possible.

    Btw, the telnet user and pass is webstar


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    That's an aweful shame; it's unfortunate that the functions are laid out into their own ASP pages. It made it easy for them to comment out the HTML and not include the page.

    Does the Thompson support firmware upgrades? The EPC3925 has no such feature included with UPC's firmware. The only solution that comes to mind is finding another firmware and somehow dumping the UPC one, merging the missing page, and flashing the modified UPC firmware again.
    There's no customer-accessible firmware upgrade page, generally the updates for these are provisioned by UPC. I don't see why it's not possible tbh, I guess the hardest thing would be to find the missing page! Off to Chelloo.com for me.... ;)
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Or, else, you could just ask UPC to send you a EPC3925, maybe say it stopped working or whatever it takes to get a freebie from them, if €45 seems like a bit much for a crappy replacement device that has only one advantage; it can be bridged by using the methods above.
    T'was another thought of mine! :D Although I would love to try figure this out before it comes to that. ;)

    Paul007 wrote: »
    Shame about the TWG870, was hoping bridge mode was possible.

    Btw, the telnet user and pass is webstar

    Thanks a bunch for this. :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 Markus Cuddly Busboy


    My 870 is still stuck on the 01.30 firmware for some reason so will check it out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    Just to ask anyone who has tried this, if you could post about how it has worked out; if it has worked, so it might instill confidence in others to try it, or, if it hasn't worked, so I or someone else can lend a hand to get you all set. It's just some feedback in general would be great.

    The thing is, if it doesn't work, then it won't do a thing, it'll be as if you never tried. While there is no danger in it not working, it can be frustrating if you don't know where it's going wrong and how to fix it (in my own experience, there was a lot of trial and error before I got the HTML code correct - I wasn't sure if my efforts were going to end up being futile, which was the most frustrating part).


    Thanks folks, appreciate it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    Tested this on a number of connections for the hell of it. Works perfect buddy! Again, kudos to you.

    On a side-note, on both connections I've tested this on, the phone still works fine. Does yours?


  • Registered Users Posts: 36,078 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    roast wrote: »
    Tested this on a number of connections for the hell of it. Works perfect buddy! Again, kudos to you.

    On a side-note, on both connections I've tested this on, the phone still works fine. Does yours?

    Now THAT is interesting.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    roast wrote: »
    Tested this on a number of connections for the hell of it. Works perfect buddy! Again, kudos to you.

    On a side-note, on both connections I've tested this on, the phone still works fine. Does yours?
    I was looking at the Voice page inside the router while in Bridge mode the other day and it all seemed to be in order, but without a cordless phone I had no way of testing for sure. I've been trying to get a quick loan of one to test it for days now. But you have tested it and it works... It leaves one big question. The EPC2425 broke the phone service when in Bridge mode but they still kept the option (I've never used a EPC2425 so I'm only going on what I've read on Boards), they disabled it in the EPC3925, and we all accepted that it was because it would break the phone service while bridged. So why not update the EPC2425 with a new firmware to hide the option and leave the poor ol' EPC3925 alone?! It really makes no sense.

    I'll try and get a hold of a cordless phone in the next few days and verify. It's not because I don't trust you, roast. :P It's just because it's better to have many reports of success than just one or two so we can say with absolute certainty that the phone will work while bridging the EPC3925. You have given us all some bit of hope so thanks a bunch for doing the tests. If/when it's verified, I'll have to ask a mod to let me edit my original post to remove the warnings and add in that it does work. My edit permissions are gone on that post, I think they only last for a few days?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    The EPC2425 broke the phone service when in Bridge mode but they still kept the option (I've never used a EPC2425 so I'm only going on what I've read on Boards), they disabled it in the EPC3925, and we all accepted that it was because it would break the phone service while bridged. So why not update the EPC2425 with a new firmware to hide the option and leave the poor ol' EPC3925 alone?! It really makes no sense.

    It's interesting. That being said, for Business accounts, the modem is generally set to Bridging mode by default, and each SME account is set up with 2 phone lines at the very least. This begs the question, how can those customers have both Bridge mode and phones? I reckon, the simple answer is, this EPC3925 modem. I think whatever issue the 2425 had with breaking the phone when the bridge mode was enable, has been resolved with the 3925.

    EDIT: Also, as far as I know, the Cisco EPC3925 is provided with the business packages now, no Thomson modems at all, so perhaps the Thomson wasn't capable of CM Mode/Bridge Mode while maintaining the Phone service
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'll try and get a hold of a cordless phone in the next few days and verify. It's not because I don't trust you, roast. :P It's just because it's better to have many reports of success than just one or two so we can say with absolute certainty that the phone will work while bridging the EPC3925. You have given us all some bit of hope so thanks a bunch for doing the tests. If/when it's verified, I'll have to ask a mod to let me edit my original post to remove the warnings and add in that it does work. My edit permissions are gone on that post, I think they only last for a few days?
    Absolutely, makes more sense to test with as many connections as possible. I just noticed you're in Limerick city. I *think* I have a spare phone at home somewhere, If I can find it, you can borrow it no problem.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ MadDogGreener


    Just made this change at home. Thanks to the orginal poster! Working perfectly with an airport extreme.

    Unfortunately I don't have a handset to test the phone line.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    I got a hold of a phone this evening and tested it out just there. Worked straight off. Called my mobile and 1908 (UPC), and returned the call back from my mobile. There were no issues or delays in connecting all the calls. I'll have to PM the forum mod here to see if I can re-edit my first post and remove those warnings and ensure people that the phone will work.

    Thanks again, roast, for going to the trouble of testing and posting back. I think this is good news, no more need to depend on the EPC3925's thin routing features and functionality. Just buy your own router, bridge it, and use the EPC3925 as a modem to establish the net connection and make voice calls. Awesome!


    EDIT: I've PM'd Cabaal and while he cannot set the expiration time-limit for editing posts, he has offered to modify the post for me. I've sent him the entire revised post and I'm sure that he will get to editing it as soon as he can.


  • Registered Users Posts: 36,078 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    Great stuff, this makes mine redundant so.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    ED E wrote: »
    Great stuff, this makes mine redundant so.
    Not at all. Your guide will still be useful to people who don't find this thread and for Thompson users who won't be able to truly bridge their devices. While your instructions are tailored for the EPC3925, the same principle applies, and let's face it, there's not a device that UPC supplies that can beat a a number of decent cable routers out there that won't break the bank. And who knows, when they move on to the next device, it might not be possible to bridge it at all no matter what. However, this guide is only useful for EPC3925 users.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭ roast


    DECEiFER wrote: »
    Thanks again, roast, for going to the trouble of testing and posting back. I think this is good news, no more need to depend on the EPC3925's thin routing features and functionality. Just buy your own router, bridge it, and use the EPC3925 as a modem to establish the net connection and make voice calls. Awesome!

    Absolutely no problem. Delighted it works. I'm a little miffed I couldn't produce a similar resolution on the Thomson for other people to try, but not t'worry. I don't think UPC actively give out the Thomsons anymore, only if the area engineers still have stock of them, for replacements and whatnot.

    Am also delighted I got a Cisco EPC3925 yesterday... ;)

    What I am concerned about is whether UPC will catch wind of this thread, and try break bridge mode further, with a new firmware for residential customers. That being said, they haven't responded to previous community feedback, so in a way I hope they continue that trend! :pac:
    ED E wrote: »
    Great stuff, this makes mine redundant so.

    Haha, I would have thought the same about my guide on the Thomson modem If I could have gotten Bridge Mode cracked on that. But, both our posts are still quite relevant. Editing HTML (regardless of how easy it really is) is still quite daunting to some, and DMZ is still the best alternative.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    roast wrote: »
    Am also delighted I got a Cisco EPC3925 yesterday... ;)
    Haha, how did you swing that?
    roast wrote: »
    What I am concerned about is whether UPC will catch wind of this thread, and try break bridge mode further, with a new firmware for residential customers. That being said, they haven't responded to previous community feedback, so in a way I hope they continue that trend! :pac:
    I thought of that too and am awaiting a forced firmware update anytime now! Ha, I don't see why they would go to further effort seeing as it's not hurting them in any way. If anything it's allowing customers to be happier with their service by providing their own much better routers to distribute the WiFi and Ethernet signals more effectively to each device. You reading this, UPC? That's right. It's GOOD for business. ;)
    roast wrote: »
    both our posts are still quite relevant. Editing HTML (regardless of how easy it really is) is still quite daunting to some, and DMZ is still the best alternative.
    Exactly. Whatever works best (or easiest).


  • Registered Users Posts: 919 n0brain3r


    For what its worth I just completed this on my EPC3925 with phone service.

    It took me all of 5 minutes including the time it took to download Opera!

    Phone works perfectly and the WAN of my router now has a public IP for the first time since I upgraded to the 50MB service!!!

    Can't say thanks enough for this hack :D:D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    n0brain3r wrote: »
    For what its worth I just completed this on my EPC3925 with phone service.

    It took me all of 5 minutes including the time it took to download Opera!

    Phone works perfectly and the WAN of my router now has a public IP for the first time since I upgraded to the 50MB service!!!

    Can't say thanks enough for this hack :D:D:D
    That's great news and you did it in a short time-span. I'm usually terrible at explaining things so I tend to over-detail my posts to account for that, so I'm glad you weren't distracted. If I was a teacher, everyone would fail my subject in the Leaving Cert., no doubt about it!

    Thanks for the feedback. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭ Songok


    Got my new EPC3925 yesterday with the 150Mb BB. It was on less than a minute before it was in bridge mode!! Thanks so much for taking the time time to research this DECEiFER.
    Getting the true potential of the BB now with an Asus RT-N56U router.

    I just noticed this morning that the cisco's wifi is still broadcasting. Can't see an option to disable now that it is in bridge mode. Do I need to change it back to routing mode to be able to disbale this?

    Thanks again Deceifer.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭ DECEiFER


    Songok wrote: »
    Got my new EPC3925 yesterday with the 150Mb BB. It was on less than a minute before it was in bridge mode!! Thanks so much for taking the time time to research this DECEiFER.
    Getting the true potential of the BB now with an Asus RT-N56U router.

    I just noticed this morning that the cisco's wifi is still broadcasting. Can't see an option to disable now that it is in bridge mode. Do I need to change it back to routing mode to be able to disbale this?

    Thanks again Deceifer.
    Hey no problem, glad it worked for you and that it worked quickly! I noticed that issue as-well yesterday while I was testing a few things out, as prior to that my EPC3925's Wireless was already disabled. I previously assumed it would shut down all the routing functions but it doesn't seem to.

    What I have done since then is turned everything off in Router mode, from DHCP to Wireless to UPnP to the Firewall, just to make sure no background processes are running to save memory and CPU (I'm not sure it makes a positive difference as I have always been able to achieve my top speed using Ethernet regardless - but it's better safe than sorry).

    You can go back into Router mode using the same method as you used to bridge it (in my OP you'll see this under Method 1 in the IMPORTANT NOTE section near the bottom). Then just disable everything that isn't required, basically the four things I mentioned above (DHCP, Wireless, UPnP, Firewall). I'd also, for the sake of consistency, disable all port forwards (if any) and the DMZ (if enabled). Then stick it back into Bridge mode and you'll be all set.

    I wish I could say why it doesn't disable all the routing functions, it's not ideal that it doesn't, but I can't; I don't know if it's a UPC firmware issue or if it's a problem with the stock firmware provided by Cisco that UPC tweaked.


Advertisement