Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Who would have thought that such drama could exist within a thread on how to bridge routers. I'm glad I subscribed, it's better than Fair City in here.

popcorn_yes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭looters

DECEiFER wrote: »
    It takes some balls coming here saying that we don't understand how a network works based on what a salesman told you. Keyword: told you. But that's not all. You came at first here not knowing the potential benefits of bridging. I can't see how you can place yourself on a pedestal. It's one thing not knowing something, asking a question, and being humble enough to admit that it's not your strong point. It's another thing to end up calling us ignorant. It's complete nonsense.

The point is, if you want answers to a question that's already been answered numerous times in a thread that's less than 30 pages long, it's obvious that you can't be arsed reading through the thread and it's a bit disrespectful. I'd feel like an ass if it was me. That said, if finding the answer in the thread is more like trying to find a needle in a haystack and there was a genuine effort made to find it, that's different and it's perfectly fine. Anyone who reads the thread will notice that many of us have chipped in to help people out whenever possible and we're happy to do it. But as I said to you earlier, if you don't want to bridge your EPC3925, then don't. Buy an AP if you think it's the best solution in your circumstances. This thread and the help we're offering here isn't suitable for everyone.

I think it's about time that this discussion was brought to a close so that normal services can resume.

I do know a bit about how the internet works.
    I took it upon myself to learn to help protect me and keep my family safe from dangers, so I dont just get my information from the PC world IT experts.

All Im trying to do is prevent people from wasting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Who would have thought that such drama could exist within a thread on how to bridge routers. I'm glad I subscribed, it's better than Fair City in here.
    Ah balls, give us more credit than that. Fair fu*kin' City?! :eek:
    looters wrote: »
    I do know a bit about how the internet works.
    I took it upon myself to learn to help protect me and keep my family safe from dangers, so I dont just get my information from the PC world IT experts.

All Im trying to do is prevent people from wasting money.
    Trust me, the EPC3925 is not good enough to manage a small network. It can do a tiny network but when you have a ton of devices hooked up to the Internet, some downloading, some YouTubing, some Xbox Living, etc., you'll see the benefits of what a good router can do if you remove the EPC3925's router from the equation and use it only as a modem.

People in both this thread and in an earlier thread by ED_E were giving a thumbs up to the process, because for them, it works. But as I said, it isn't for everyone. If there's only a few devices, such as a couple of PCs and a couple of phones being hooked up, sure, it might be a false economy in that scenario, depending on what kind of activities those devices are used for.

So all in all, it comes down to this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A lot of people posted here due to being unhappy with their EPC3925's performance, specifically. To them, it was effectively broken.

We're all entitled to our opinions, yours have been expressed and taken on-board, so let's please call a truce on this one and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bartondir

Hey!!
    I can't set my epc3925 on the bridge mode with my linksys e2000. Dont have an issue changing into bridge mode on upc router but i am not sure which way i should set my linksys
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/routersettings.jpg/
    thats the options i am getting
    If anyone had any ideas how to do it please let me know
    Thanks

bartondir wrote: »
    Hey!!
    I can't set my epc3925 on the bridge mode with my linksys e2000. Dont have an issue changing into bridge mode on upc router but i am not sure which way i should set my linksys
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/routersettings.jpg/
    thats the options i am getting
    If anyone had any ideas how to do it please let me know
    Thanks
    You should leave it at Automatic DHCP. You have no reason to set the Linksys into Bridge mode, the EPC3925 should be but the Linksys should remain as a router. Using the DHCP setting should enable the Linksys to obtain an IP from the EPC3925's modem connection directly.

To help you further, can you please show a shot of the status page to see if you're getting a public IP, LAN IP, or nothing (if the former most, please redact the last two octets of the IP for your own protection and to abide by UPC's Acceptable Usage Policy)? As much additional information as possible could also be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

By mistake, I was posted multiple EPC3925 modem/routers, so now have two spare.

Reading this thread, it seems that they are low-end in terms of quality, from a router perspective. I'm wondering if there is there any benefit/value in holding on to the spare routers or should the just be returned to service provider?

brian1976 wrote: »
    By mistake, I was posted multiple EPC3925 modem/routers, so now have two spare.

Reading this thread, it seems that they are low-end in terms of quality, from a router perspective. I'm wondering if there is there any benefit/value in holding on to the spare routers or should the just be returned to service provider?

Only one should be provisioned per customer. It uses MAC authentication so it's likely that the others won't work. And if they do now, they could be removed from the whitelist at any time. You can't sell them (and giving them away wouldn't be recommended) but you can hold onto them if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I have one of theserouters on the way.

I hope this will work with my cisco 3925.
    I have logged in to my cisco 3925 from my browser and i see there is an option to select ' bridge mode'
    Im fairly clueless at this side of things, is there a guide of what i need to do if the router already has the bridge option?
    I see in the first post that the tutorial is for the routers that doesnt have this option.
    Cheers

do i have to disable wifi and firewall in upc router before nswitching ibto bridge mode?and witch status you will need from upc modem or my router?
    p.s i manage to do it yesterday it worked fine with my laptop but had some ip issues when tried to connect my phone to wifi also my desktop is connected through powerline adapters and thats stoped working too:) Thanks for the help Deceifer you re the man:)

iggy wrote: »
    I have one of theserouters on the way.

I hope this will work with my cisco 3925.
    I have logged in to my cisco 3925 from my browser and i see there is an option to select ' bridge mode'
    Im fairly clueless at this side of things, is there a guide of what i need to do if the router already has the bridge option?
    I see in the first post that the tutorial is for the routers that doesnt have this option.
    Cheers
    That doesn't matter. It's the same process once Bridge mode is selected. Your router should just plug n' play, all going well. Just make sure it's set to automatically get the IP / DHCP and it *should* work. But every router is different so if you have trouble, you'll have to post back with some screen shots and as much detail as you possibly can so we can talk you through any issues. All going well, it really should just work.
    do i have to disable wifi and firewall in upc router before nswitching ibto bridge mode?and witch status you will need from upc modem or my router?
    p.s i manage to do it yesterday it worked fine with my laptop but had some ip issues when tried to connect my phone to wifi also my desktop is connected through powerline adapters and thats stoped working too:) Thanks for the help Deceifer you re the man:)
    You can now turn WiFi off in Bridge mode, you previously couldn't. But it's a good idea to turn them off all the same. The firewall shouldn't matter as it shouldn't be operating when in Bridge mode because the EPC3925 is essentially just a modem in that state. Use the WiFi from your cable router and if it comes with a firewall, make sure it's turned on for extra security (though all routers act as firewalls of sorts, some come with extra features to prevent things like DDoS Attacks and Port Scans).

I'm not sure I understand your setup completely, however. You've mentioned connecting to WiFi, I'm not sure if you're still intending on using the WiFi on the EPC3925 or if you have a discrete cable router. I also don't know where the powerline adapters fit in to your network equation. If you could please provide more information, then we could provide more help.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I understand your setup completely, however. You've mentioned connecting to WiFi, I'm not sure if you're still intending on using the WiFi on the EPC3925 or if you have a discrete cable router. I also don't know where the powerline adapters fit in to your network equation. If you could please provide more information, then we could provide more help.[/QUOTE]

Ok,my epc3925 was set into a bridge mode with wifi disabled,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.When it comes to my powerline adapter should the lan cable go from my epc or linksys after they are set into the bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Only one should be provisioned per customer. It uses MAC authentication so it's likely that the others won't work. And if they do now, they could be removed from the whitelist at any time. You can't sell them (and giving them away wouldn't be recommended) but you can hold onto them if you want.

thanks for the reply deceifer.

In holding onto them, the only real use I see then is to extend my internal network in the future (if I ever move to a bigger house!!), however from the multiple reports, its a carp router, so doesn't even seem any point in holding onto them in case in the future I need to do that. Guess I just notify UPC and ask them to pick them up. No point in them going to waste.

brian1976 wrote: »
    Guess I just notify UPC and ask them to pick them up. No point in them going to waste.

Wouldn't surprise me if they tell you they don't want them. I'm sure they get these devices for dirt cheap.

Ok,my epc3925 was set into a bridge mode with wifi disabled,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.When it comes to my powerline adapter should the lan cable go from my epc or linksys after they are set into the bridge mode?
    You only set the EPC into Bridge mode but keeping everything on the internal network/LAN, hook them up to the Linksys. The Linksys should remain as a router for your setup to work.

I don't know why your phone won't work in the EPC. It should be fine. Maybe you have too many devices on it? Move everything to the Linksys, if so. I'm just wildly guessing on this one, I'm afraid.

My TP LINK WDR3600 is being delivered tomorrow so I can finally give this a shot.

Up and running. Thanks again DECEiFER.
    Everything is working great!

Slight problem initially, and a word of warning to those who have a TP Link router, don't use MAC cloning. They strongly advise you to use it when you are setting up your router but it was causing problems for me. I'm probably sounding like a complete noob if that was an obvious thing for you guys but I just saw "We strongly advise ... yaddy yaddy ya ..." and just pressed next without question.

Like I said, besides that little head scratcher moment, I'm up and running with far better range in the house and now concurrent 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

,wifi was working through my e2000 but i couldnt connect my phone to it because some ip conflict error.

What type of phone is it?

Could it be that you have set Wfi to 802.11N only and your phone doesn't support this?

Leiva wrote: »
    What type of phone is it?

Could it be that you have set Wfi to 802.11N only and your phone doesn't support this?
    I'm such a slow f*ck. I was thinking the landline and it never once crossed my mind that you meant your mobile.

Leiva's question is a good one, but it could also be an unsupported encryption method, so trying selecting "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" or similar, if available.

Hey, I reset all the settings and did it again and it's working finally. Only disappointment I have is speed through my powerline adapters thought it's gonna be cable speed and I am barely gettin 15mbit out of 100:-( thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Hi, is there any way to restart the epc3925 from a web browser while its in bridge mode? The management tab no longer contains the device restart tab when i go to 192.168.100.1
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Nothing's impossible! But it would require another HTML code injection into the Bridge mode source from the Router mode source (see the Pastebin link in the OP). But ordinarily, no, there is no way. You'd have to inject the code every time. Unless you're a bit away from the device, it might be quicker just to restart it by hand.

EDIT: On second thought, it's likely not possible. I didn't realize that the restart functionality was on a different page, which doesn't exist at all in Bridge mode.
    http://192.168.100.1/Devicerestart.asp

This means that injecting HTML will be futile as it needs to be injected into the correct page for the correct script to execute on POST. It's not happening, I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

just wanted to save a trip upstairs ( im lazy :) ) thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Curious question:

I just upgraded to the 150 line and got a 3925.
    Was bridgeable straight out of the box so disabled everything and set to bridge.

Tested download speeds with a direct connection and got just over 150mb. Happy out.

Now I connected my Linksys E4200 running DDWRT and although I'm getting a connection, it's only downloading at anywhere between 10-50mb

Any ideas? I've been tinkering and changing settings for the past 2 hours but getting no where :(

Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Ping to both routers is fine. <1ms for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Ok this could be a really stupid question but i say this is the best place to ask it..

Just wondering in the cisco router connected to the second router by ethernet, or can they be bridge wirelessly..

Basically i want to bridge the router to have internet upstairs, so could i have the cisco router downstairs bridging wirelessly with my netgear router upstairs and then connect an ethernet cable from the netgear router into my tv??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Noxin wrote: »
    Curious question:

I just upgraded to the 150 line and got a 3925.
    Was bridgeable straight out of the box so disabled everything and set to bridge.

Tested download speeds with a direct connection and got just over 150mb. Happy out.

Now I connected my Linksys E4200 running DDWRT and although I'm getting a connection, it's only downloading at anywhere between 10-50mb

Any ideas? I've been tinkering and changing settings for the past 2 hours but getting no where :(

Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Ping to both routers is fine. <1ms for each.

Over wifi or wired?
    Harpy wrote: »
    Ok this could be a really stupid question but i say this is the best place to ask it..

Just wondering in the cisco router connected to the second router by ethernet, or can they be bridge wirelessly..

Basically i want to bridge the router to have internet upstairs, so could i have the cisco router downstairs bridging wirelessly with my netgear router upstairs and then connect an ethernet cable from the netgear router into my tv??

Bridging != wireless bridge here, which is what you want. Get a wireless extender unit and dont use the bridge setting.

just wanted to save a trip upstairs ( im lazy :) ) thanks anyway
    Nah, no worries. I was all set to mock up the option for you into a HTML doc that you could keep stored on your desktop, or wherever's most convenient, that would have the option to restart and run the script. But it seems the restart script is inaccessible in Bridge mode, so unfortunately, it's something that can easily be achieved at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

ED E wrote: »
    Over wifi or wired?

Wired

Noxin wrote: »
    Wired
    Another person posted similar issues and he too was using DD-WRT. It's advisable that you flash your router back to stock and see if it improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

ED E wrote: »
    Over wifi or wired?

Bridging != wireless bridge here, which is what you want. Get a wireless extender unit and dont use the bridge setting.

So i can do what i want with the stuff i have..
    Basically i want to connect my smart tv to the internet and the dongle for it costs a good bit so would prefer to avoid buying it..

So want to get my upc cisco router to connect wirelessly with my old netgear router in my room and then connect to the tv throught an ethernet cable to the tv..

can i do that by what is explained in the op?
    I'm sorry yer dealing with a dummy here...

• Advertisement

Harpy wrote: »
    So i can do what i want with the stuff i have..
    Basically i want to connect my smart tv to the internet and the dongle for it costs a good bit so would prefer to avoid buying it..

So want to get my upc cisco router to connect wirelessly with my old netgear router in my room and then connect to the tv throught an ethernet cable to the tv..

can i do that by what is explained in the op?
    I'm sorry yer dealing with a dummy here...
    If your Netgear supports repeating then consider doing that with the EPC. That's the cheapest way to get it done. Else you'll have to consider purchasing powerline adapters or a wireless access point or that dongle you are you want to avoid shelling out for.

Advertisement