Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I may be wrong (as I am new to all this stuff) but according to this method you do not lose OTA functionality.

Haven't looked at that one yet. Might be

I know when I go to check for any updates it says my phone is custom and therefore I won't receive OTA'S

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I know when I go to check for any updates it says my phone is custom and therefore I won't receive OTA'S

That's what I did, and I still seem to have OTA updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Ye, to be honest I am new to all this so am wary about doing it without a totally idiot step by step guide. Some of the threads on XDA are great but for Android beginners like me I have to become familiar with the basics before I attempt it.

Ye, to be honest I am new to all this so am wary about doing it without a totally idiot step by step guide. Some of the threads on XDA are great but for Android beginners like me I have to become familiar with the basics before I attempt it.

You just need to do a good bit of reading and watch a couple of YouTube videos.

It's dead easy once you get your head around it.

You put your phone into download mode.
    Open odin
    Select the md5 root file on pda section of odin
    Select start

Let the magic happen.

Only takes 2 mins if you have all the files in front of you

You just need to do a good bit of reading and watch a couple of YouTube videos.

It's dead easy once you get your head around it.

You put your phone into download mode.
    Open odin
    Select the md5 root file on pda section of odin
    Select start

Let the magic happen.

Only takes 2 mins if you have all the files in front of you

Thanks, yes I did something very similar to that when I installed in official unbranded firmware last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Doesn't rooting void the warranty with Samsung?

Clareman wrote: »

Yes, I think it does, but you can just flash the offical firmware back on the phone before you return it to Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, I think it does, but you can just flash the offical firmware back on the phone before you return it to Samsung.

Missed a step, you need to reset the counter to be totally safe.

They don't mind it as long as you make it look like it was stock before sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Question

When I got the phone I somehow set up a setting where it would let me edit a screenshot right after taking it. It's starting to annoy me, but can't find where the settings for this are located.

Its in the display settings page, near the end.

• Advertisement

markc1184 wrote: »
    Its in the display settings page, near the end.

Cheers!!

This is what I'm going to do to my S4 next week when I get the battery ! :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41671920&postcount=10

20130521_082532.jpg20130521_082758.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the cartoon image that's present for contacts? I find it a bit annoying in texts but can't find an option to disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Can this still be bought in carphone warehouse for three network? On the site it has said out of stock for the last few weeks

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the cartoon image that's present for contacts? I find it a bit annoying in texts but can't find an option to disable it.

I don't think it is, I just sat down one evening and give everyone a face :) Make the contacts so much nicer to look at as well :)
    Can this still be bought in carphone warehouse for three network? On the site it has said out of stock for the last few weeks

Yes, got one last Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

As far as I can tell you can't unfortunately. I had no idea what you were talking about initially as I've synced mine with gmail, facebook etc so I've not got that image left for too many contacts.

May do as evolutionqy7 said and give the rest some sort of nice image :)

Got my Anker extended battery. Have to say even though the hump is thicker than the phone itself, it's more comfortable to hold the phone. Got a nice big area to rest my right hand thumb on the side now, ads a bit of weight to the phone, but won't cry over it as it will save me of carrying around a charger with me

20130522231623.jpg
    20130522231642.jpg
    20130522231656.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Trying to work out what exactly your notes underneath are about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That battery ruins a nice phone if yo ask me :(

Quazzie wrote: »

I agree, I like my phone due to its thinness and weight (i don't even have a cover on mine) but I'm tempted to get one of those for a trip etc. Couldn't see my self using it on a day to day basis though.

How much did it cost you and what type of battery life improvements are you seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Anyone get WatchOn working? I've picked Ireland but it just stays stuck at 'Please wait...'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭pah

Quazzie wrote: »

agreed, this is the nicest phone I've used, aesthetically speaking since the iPhone 4. Beautiful to look at and to hold and use.

I'm finding the Battery to be good. Not like my note 2 but not far off it either.

ED E wrote: »
    Trying to work out what exactly your notes underneath are about :pac:

Accounting stuff on evaluating what's a company worth :'(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I find the battery to be fine, but I'm coming from an iPhone 3GS where I'd be lucky to get a full day out of the battery (replaced the battery a couple of times as well). I am a bit of a scrooge with the battery life though, I use the tabs in the notification panel to turn things off when I don't need them (like Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, NPC), it's not that much hassle to turn them back on when I need them

Oops, should have added, I often go to bed with the battery at over 60%, that'd be after an hour (at least) talk time, email, facebook, linkedin, viber and whatsapp running, although I've notifications and sync turned off for those apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Cossax wrote: »
    Anyone get WatchOn working? I've picked Ireland but it just stays stuck at 'Please wait...'.

I've got the remote control part working but if I choose a programme and select watch now, nothing happens.

I've got the remote control part working but if I choose a programme and select watch now, nothing happens.

Mine didn't really work either :-(

My set-top box isn't listed so I can't program that :( I have gotten my TV to work, but that's a Samsung so if it didn't I'd be worried :D

Yeah I'm having issues with WatchOn too.

I select Ireland and it gives me the option of Sky or UPC which is correct but when I select UPC it mentions that UPC Broadband Holding BV has multiple channel lineup in the 1234 postal code and to answer a question to determine which is my one i.e. do I get channel 102 or 103. Depending on which one I pick I'm getting TV listings/guide for Holland or Germany etc. I have no idea whats going on. If I pick Sky it seems to give the correct english listings!

I have the LG TV working fine but I'd rather the UPC box was working!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Got my Anker extended battery. Have to say even though the hump is thicker than the phone itself, it's more comfortable to hold the phone. Got a nice big area to rest my right hand thumb on the side now, ads a bit of weight to the phone, but won't cry over it as it will save me of carrying around a charger with me

20130522231623.jpg
    20130522231642.jpg
    20130522231656.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    jesus no offense meant but my god that battery makes that phone ugly. Would you not just buy a spare battery?

• Advertisement

jesus no offense meant but my god that battery makes that phone ugly. Would you not just buy a spare battery?

Ah wait till I join it together with an otter box :-) barely even notice it then :-)

It a nuisance having to swap batteries, especially daily, as I said it actually makes the phone grip better with one hand

Advertisement