Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

kave2 wrote: »
    Hand gesture.

Jazz hands?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Doom wrote: »
    Anyone know how to take a screen shot with the S4?

If hand gestures are turned on just swipe the side of your hand across the screen or just do the easy way of pressing home and power :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Great function in the camera, take a photo of some text and it will take the text from it and you can email it....very handy

Detect text, is what is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

rok wrote: »
    Hi DesperateDan,
    just applied the Zagg shield a while ago, disappointed so far, feckin mini bubbles everywhere. :(
    Instructions say it can take 2 or 3 days to work out the bubble, fingers crossed.

Did you use water solution to apply it? There should be no bubbles on it if put on if it's done properly, but they do go away after a day or two

Got my S4 yesterday. Still on the verge to make a decision onit. Have a note 2, and note 2 seems faster for me. Internet and navigation wise.

kave2 wrote: »
    Hand gesture.

Or power button + home button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or power button + home button

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84669925&postcount=1020

6 posts too slow ;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just picked up a Otterbox Commuter in carphone warehouse today. Very happy with it, comes with a bubble free screen protecter, and I got it for 29.99! They were 34.99 in vodafone and in three.

MarkR wrote: »
    Just picked up a Otterbox Commuter in carphone warehouse today. Very happy with it, comes with a bubble free screen protecter, and I got it for 29.99! They were 34.99 in vodafone and in three.

I was going to order one, had one on my S3 and it was a beast for drops or anything that you would throw it against.

Ended up getting a barely there case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Are you guys getting the gt-i9500 with exynos5 processor or the gt-i9505 with snapdragon?

Vodafone seem to be all 9505 model which is the LTE variant. Ive read 70% of the production is 9505

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

pah wrote: »
    Are you guys getting the gt-i9500 with exynos5 processor or the gt-i9505 with snapdragon?

Vodafone seem to be all 9505 model which is the LTE variant. Ive read 70% of the production is 9505

9505 is the only one available in Ireland I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

9505 is the only one available in Ireland I think.

Because exynos doesn't have an LTE module we all have the snapdragon. Hope they have a LTE exynos chip by the time note 3 comes out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Lads is it possible to get a dud screen?

I was very happy with my S4,I upgraded from an Iphone4s and was delighted with the change.
    I thought the screen was far superior to the 4s and was really happy to have switched.

My wife got a S3 on upgrade for free last night and I have to say I think the screen is better on her S3
    There is an app we both downloaded for the kids called Talking Tom cat or something like that and on the S3 the clarity and colour of the talking cat is far better than on the S4. Also I took a photo on my phone and we set up the S-beam with hers and the photo I took with my S4 looks much better on her S3,it's sharper and the colours are much better.
    It's not just my eyes that see it as the wife can also see the difference.

I'm a bit pissed off to be honest.
    Is it possible there might be something up with my screen? I didn't notice anything wrong until I compared it with the S3,as I said I thought it was far ahead of the iphone 4s but compared to the S3 I think it isn't as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Casey78 wrote: »

I was very happy with my S4,I upgraded from an Iphone4s and was delighted with the change.
    I thought the screen was far superior to the 4s and was really happy to have switched.

My wife got a S3 on upgrade for free last night and I have to say I think the screen is better on her S3
    There is an app we both downloaded for the kids called Talking Tom cat or something like that and on the S3 the clarity and colour of the talking cat is far better than on the S4. Also I took a photo on my phone and we set up the S-beam with hers and the photo I took with my S4 looks much better on her S3,it's sharper and the colours are much better.

Is it possible there might be something up with my screen? I didn't notice anything wrong until I compared it with the S3,as I said I thought it was far ahead of the iphone 4s but compared to the S3 I think it isn't as good.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with your screen or not but I think the S4 screen is better. I'm moved from S3 to S4.

As far as I know and can tell the S4 screen is/should be superior to the S3.

All I can think of is your not using the same settings or maybe your brightness is turned down compared to hers.

Have a look under settings Settings -> My Device and then Screen Mode and Brightness.
    In Screen Mode Adapt Display is probably ticked by default but you make like the other options. In Brightness settings, Automatic is normally selected but once again this may not be to your preference.

Then again you may have a got a dud screen :)

Because exynos doesn't have an LTE module we all have the snapdragon. Hope they have a LTE exynos chip by the time note 3 comes out

I hope we'll have LTE by the time the Note 7 comes out :rolleyes:

In Screen Mode Adapt Display is probably ticked by default but you make like the other options. In Brightness settings, Automatic is normally selected but once again this may not be to your preference.

Never knew about the adapt display option on the S3, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Did you use water solution to apply it? There should be no bubbles on it if put on if it's done properly, but they do go away after a day or two

Got my S4 yesterday. Still on the verge to make a decision onit. Have a note 2, and note 2 seems faster for me. Internet and navigation wise.

Yeah used the solution provided, followed the instructions... Most of the bubbles gone now. .
    Zagg shield slows down the Touch sensitivity a bit, especially when scrolling down a webpage, but getting used to it too.

rok wrote: »
    Yeah used the solution provided, followed the instructions... Most of the bubbles gone now. .
    Zagg shield slows down the Touch sensitivity a bit, especially when scrolling down a webpage, but getting used to it too.

Yeah their a bit annoying, there is a HD version that fixes those issues, but they don't seem to stock then for done rain.

Finished my first day on the S4, disappointingly the battery life is just as bad as the S3 was.

4 hours of screen on time. Wi-Fi on all day. No calls, bit of Viber and text messaging, internet, couple of YouTube videos and streaming a movie to my tv.

Not sure how or why is maps sucking such a large percentage of my battery as I haven't used then today.

You may be able to get around the touch sensitivity but enabling High touch sensitivity. Its the mode for when your using gloves but may solve your issue.
    I'm using an invishield on mine and while it took me a few days to get used to it, I don't even notice it now.

Regarding your battery issues i'm still unsure how good the battery is on it but so far its lasting me a day easily.

Today for example has been just under 3 hours of screen time while mostly using the browser (chrome) and few other applications (i use a battery saver app for turning off wifi/data when phone is asleep along with a couple of other battery saving tips) but after 11hrs and 40min I still have 40% battery left.

I did notice that the Samsung gimmicks extras may be draining the battery (I see one enabled in your screenshot) but I do like and use Air View so leave that switched on plus one or two of the hand gestures.

For reference maps is also taking up 9% battery on mine and I also haven't used it today. It may be to do with location services but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

I switched all that Samsung crap off. Annoys me when I don't want to use it, don't use it enough to justify keeping it on.

I know I can't compare it to the note 2 but the battery life used to be 15 hours use with 5 hours of screen time. Now that's a day. Not puny 8 hours.

Took the plunge on this, liking it so far but still have my Note2.
    i'll give it a week to decide.

Also I unlocked it with this method. works for vodafone IE handset anyway gt-i9505

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Also I unlocked it with this method. works for vodafone IE handset anyway gt-i9505

Just checked and my o2 one was locked, just unlocked it using that method

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Casey78 wrote: »

No dude something is wrong there, my mate has a S3 and my screen is FAR better. Try comparing your phone with another samsung S4. If you have to ask for a demo unit in a shop.

It could be your personal preference , but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Just pulled the trigger on this - has someone already put together a post on the cases to get/avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Cossax wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on this - has someone already put together a post on the cases to get/avoid?

I got both the Casemate Tough and Spigen Neo Hybrid case. Spigen is lovely looking but offers less protection than the Case mate

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

i got mine in cpw
    im, on o2 and tried a threei.e sim and meteor both work so its unlocked out of the box
    maybe i was lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Long shot but any networks selling the Octa core one here?

Is it worth the extra cost or is the quad core sufficient enough?

Octa core isnt really octa, its a pair of quads, one for low power one for high power. The phone switches between them as needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

And on top what Ed E said there are some problems expected with custom ROMs due to lack of source code/specs for that "octa" core exynos (I'm open to correction on that). Anyway, I'm happy with GT-I9505 (quad-core) - nice upgrade from S2.

Advertisement