Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Is there any app that can work as a simple universal remote control? The one by samsung is way too fancy for my needs and I'm going to loose it after flashing cyanogenmod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Is there any app that can work as a simple universal remote control? The one by samsung is way too fancy for my needs and I'm going to loose it after flashing cyanogenmod.

There's three. Their not cheap though

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=ir+blaster+remote

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PrzemoF wrote: »
    And on top what Ed E said there are some problems expected with custom ROMs due to lack of source code/specs for that "octa" core exynos (I'm open to correction on that). Anyway, I'm happy with GT-I9505 (quad-core) - nice upgrade from S2.

Unless, Samsung releases sources and documentation for the Exynos then custom rom support will never be 100%. The roms could still be good though but never as good for the Qualcomm based i9505. For that reason I wouldn't touch an Exynos based phone. Given that the S4 Google will be stocking and releasing AOSP updates for is very similar to the i9505 (as far as I know it's the same hardware but just supports different LTE bands for the US market) then rom support should be excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anyone know how to get additional remote control codes for the WhatsOn app? I want to use the remote control but my set-top box isn't listed, it's a VU+ box

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Anyone else experiencing lag when opening the gallery? It can take up to 10 seconds from touching the thumbnail to enter an album..Its not all the time..i've changed to store pics on device and still have the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

I got both the Casemate Tough and Spigen Neo Hybrid case. Spigen is lovely looking but offers less protection than the Case mate

I've used the S2 variant of that Case-Mate case and found it to be quality, might go for that again so - thank you!

Anyone else experiencing lag when opening the gallery? It can take up to 10 seconds from touching the thumbnail to enter an album..Its not all the time..i've changed to store pics on device and still have the same issue

I'd consider this normal, Samsung's heavily modified Gallery app lagged on S3 and Note 2, especially if its loading lots of albums.

There are some gallery replacements on play store that dont suffer performance issues.

On another note, finding the battery life absolutely terrible. Ordered Anker Extended Battery with 5200 mah and going to pick up an Otter box Commuter case on Saturday and make myself more battery powah by combining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

On another note, finding the battery life absolutely terrible. Ordered Anker Extended Battery with 5200 mah and going to pick up an Otter box Commuter case on Saturday and make myself more battery powah by combining them.

how terrible?how many hours are you . getting out of it and with what kinda usage?

numorouno wrote: »
    how terrible?how many hours are you . getting out of it and with what kinda usage?

Like 8 hours of heavy use with brightness turned down. 4 hours of screen on.

A bit better today, but I haven't used it as much today.

Also found out the location feature on viber and Facebook was draining my battery locating the phone every time I was sending a message. So those are turned off. That was eating away nearly a quarter of the battery life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Dealz are stocking Cheapo cases and screen guards...if your in a jam, waiting for a decent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Getting that too, quite annoying as everything else is so quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi lads, just a couple of things I have an iPhone 4 had the 4s but sold it as needed cash for Santa :(

Anyways compared to the iPhones how does the s4 perform? I'm in contract til April but my father has offered me his upgrade to either an iPhone 5 or galaxy s4.. Can the s4 be unlocked from meteor to let it work on any network??

Hi lads, just a couple of things I have an iPhone 4 had the 4s but sold it as needed cash for Santa :(

Anyways compared to the iPhones how does the s4 perform? I'm in contract til April but my father has offered me his upgrade to either an iPhone 5 or galaxy s4.. Can the s4 be unlocked from meteor to let it work on any network??

What are you planning on using it for? Benchmarks will likely make little difference for day to day use for most people but the S3 was on a par or better than the iPhone 5 and the S4 is a step up again from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Cossax wrote: »
    What are you planning on using it for? Benchmarks will likely make little difference for day to day use for most people but the S3 was on a par or better than the iPhone 5 and the S4 is a step up again from that.

heavy internet usage gaming. usual use but never have phone out of reach :eek:

heavy internet usage gaming. usual use but never have phone out of reach :eek:

If your a heavy user get a Galaxy Note 2, its not that big of a device to get used to, its actually a little bit more comfy to hold cause it has a wider bezel and a more rounded thicker edge. Read my posts above, this phone does not endure well with heavy use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I got a cover called GreatShield this morning in the post from Amazon. It comes in 2 pieces and has a stand on the rear for watching videos. I just got the black on black case but comes in different colours too. I'm happy enough with it so far but time will tell. Cost around £7.50.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got my memory card today :D

Also I wanted just the first 5 seconds of the song below as my message tone but you can't do that it seems you have to use the tones that are already on the phone :( you can't add custom tones like you can the ringtone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Also I wanted just the first 5 seconds of the song below as my message tone but you can't do that it seems you have to use the tones that are already on the phone :( you can't add custom tones like you can the ringtone.

If you can get an mp3 of that tune, surely you can set it as the ringtone when you play it through the Music Player? It's an option in Music Player on the s3 anyway, can't imagine they left it out of s4

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I have my own mp3 as my sms tone. Its of a hyena call for anyone that cares. Just put the 5 second mp3 in notifications folder and you can find it in -> messages -> settings -> then notification settings and select the tone from there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks I'll give that a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone having issues with 3G. Mine seems to very week, getting G only where I was getting H+ with my previous phone. Not sure if my phone is dodgy or S4 in general has week signal. According to thread over on XDA people are getting stronger signal with S4 than with other phones. Should I return it to CPW and ask for replacement? Will they even accept it as fault?

kave2 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with 3G. Mine seems to very week, getting G only where I was getting H+ with my previous phone. Not sure if my phone is dodgy or S4 in general has week signal. According to thread over on XDA people are getting stronger signal with S4 than with other phones. Should I return it to CPW and ask for replacement? Will they even accept it as fault?

They won't replace it unless they can verify the fault. Probably could ring your network, do some trouble shooting with them and ask them to send a message or an email confirming the problem? Coverage on mine is just as any other smartphone, have you a case on your phone?

Sometimes cases decrease the coverage, especially cheap ones.

Any one notice how hot the phone gets sometimes. Apparently that's normal behavior according Samsung engineers.

Think the Samsung engineer should put the phone on charge, stick the brightness all way up, stick on need for speed most wanted for 10 mins and put it beside his ear :-) see how normal it would feel :-)

They won't replace it unless they can verify the fault. Probably could ring your network, do some trouble shooting with them and ask them to send a message or an email confirming the problem? Coverage on mine is just as any other smartphone, have you a case on your phone?

Sometimes cases decrease the coverage, especially cheap ones.

Any one notice how hot the phone gets sometimes. Apparently that's normal behavior according Samsung engineers.

Think the Samsung engineer should put the phone on charge, stick the brightness all way up, stick on need for speed most wanted for 10 mins and put it beside his ear :-) see how normal it would feel :-)

Yes, I'm using case but its not a cheap one. Spigen Slim Armor. Don't think it's the case.

Cossax wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on this - has someone already put together a post on the cases to get/avoid?

Bought at lunchtime yesterday, arrived just now - can't wait to play with it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Anyone here rooted S4 using heimdall?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

kave2 wrote: »

Yep i'm having the same issue..had S2 previously and always had h in house and work..rarely have H in either now..I'm with Three

Yep i'm having the same issue..had S2 previously and always had h in house and work..rarely have H in either now..I'm with Three
    Very annoying, hate slow internet speed.
    Looks like we have dodgy phones. Will try to to get replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Anywhere cheaper to get this than 639 with 02 via carphone warehouse . bit annyoing its 599 if your with vodaphone

What the best case to get it.

And would Chill (Gadget insurance ) be the best to get insurance with?. The 6 euro a month seems to cover everything liqud damange , theft , loss etc

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Hi guys

Can anyone with a meteor s4 that is not rooted tell me what firmware they have - settings, about.

Second question could you go to your dialler and type *#1234# and call out the last 3 letters/digits from the csc - i think it should be MDM or MDB

Many thanks

• Advertisement

Soby wrote: »
    Anywhere cheaper to get this than 639 with 02 via carphone warehouse . bit annyoing its 599 if your with vodaphone

What the best case to get it.

And would Chill (Gadget insurance ) be the best to get insurance with?. The 6 euro a month seems to cover everything liqud damange , theft , loss etc

Have a look at this thread.
    Ordered it yesterday at lunch and got it today after I got home.

Advertisement