Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Hi Lads
    Did a quick search but couldn't see anything about this - I'm having a problem with my new S4 - short story is I can't get my charger to fit into the charger slot. I've tried a few different chargers from lads in work etc but it won't fit in so its obviously not a charger problem.

It's like there is something stuck in charging slot but I can't see anything.

One day it was working fine and the next day the charger won't fit.
    Nothing happened the phone as I've been taking good care of it since I got it (@ 3 weeks)
    Anyone encounter this problem or have any ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get yourself a bright light and look into it. Chances are there's something in there.

You sure you're using a Micro cable and not a mini, they look similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

ED E wrote: »
    Get yourself a bright light and look into it. Chances are there's something in there.

You sure you're using a Micro cable and not a mini, they look similar enough.

I'm just using the standard charger that came in the box with it...

Shined a torch into it but couldn't see anything....very annoying because can't charge battery

I'm off back to shop with it at lunchtime :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 llandai

Got an S4 on Monday and having an issue with the keyboard since this morning. Not sure how it changed from the qwerty keyboard to the handwriting keypad but it did this morning and I can't for the life of me work out how to change it back!! Am I missing something really obvious? Any help appreciated, cheers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

llandai wrote: »
    Got an S4 on Monday and having an issue with the keyboard since this morning. Not sure how it changed from the qwerty keyboard to the handwriting keypad but it did this morning and I can't for the life of me work out how to change it back!! Am I missing something really obvious? Any help appreciated, cheers.

Click on some box where you can type text (e.g. SMS), you'll see a keyboard in the top left hand corner, pull down the notification window, then Select input method, go from there :)

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Click on some box where you can type text (e.g. SMS), you'll see a keyboard in the top left hand corner, pull down the notification window, then Select input method, go from there :)

I've tried that already, it gives me the option of Google voice typing or Samsung keyboard. Obviously if I select Google voice typing I can only input using voice, if I select Samsung keyboard I can go into the settings but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off the handwriting keypad, as soon as I go back to text message window it's still on handwriting keypad. I have Portrait keyboard types selected as qwerty. I have clicked on reset settings but still stuck on handwriting. It's driving me mad as its impossible to use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

When in handwriting mode long hold the button that's 2 to the left of the spacebar and pick the keyboard symbol,that should change it back for you.

Squaredude wrote: »
    When in handwriting mode long hold the button that's 2 to the left of the spacebar and pick the keyboard symbol,that should change it back for you.

Cheers Squaredude, that's done it, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Am having trouble keeping connected to wifi at home. Anyone else having this problem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Knine wrote: »
    Am having trouble keeping connected to wifi at home. Anyone else having this problem?

Ya it'll disconnect for maybe 2 seconds and then reconnect,similar issue for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ya it'll disconnect for maybe 2 seconds and then reconnect,similar issue for you?

Fine here using a sky router. Though at mates house on an Eircom router keeps doing that, it happens on his one x too though

Yes same problem. Its extremely annoying and I'm considering my options. It is just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yes same problem. Its extremely annoying and I'm considering my options. It is just not good enough.

Noticing the same problem on my Eircom Router, it'll disconnect all the time, my UPC Router is perfect.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a network problem , not a phone problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I can't make wifi-direct connection between S2 (cm10) and S4 (samsung firmware). Any ideas how to fix it?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I can't make wifi-direct connection between S2 (cm10) and S4 (samsung firmware). Any ideas how to fix it?

Why don't you ask the deb. In my experience I've always found WiFi direct buggy on custom stock roms

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Noticing the same problem on my Eircom Router, it'll disconnect all the time, my UPC Router is perfect.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a network problem , not a phone problem

Eircom here too. However ipad & laptop are connecting without any issues. So is Eircom the issue or the mobile network the problem?

The S3 works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I'd say its an eircom problem.Their router doesn't play too well with any of my android devices.

Squaredude wrote: »
    I'd say its an eircom problem.Their router doesn't play too well with any of my android devices.

My S3 was fine with Eircom. Any suggestions on what I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Nope.

But I'm using an old Linksys WRT54G router... rock solid with DD-WRT firmware flashed on it.

I'm with UPC, but their cable modem/router combo is ****e, so I use it as a bridging router to my old LinkSys. Problem solved.

Also, using DD-WRT it's simple enough to set up the embedded OpenVPN, so you can have secure connections and traffic from your phone to your LAN/internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Eircom here, I had no issues connecting my phone to it. However, I have had issues in the past with the eircom router (zyxel) and connecting new devices to it. It seems to have no problem accepting old devices but for some reasons once I get to 3 or more devices having being connected to the router (not necessarily simultaneously) it starts having intermittent issues for the later devices. I found the way to fix this is to switch off the device. Hard Reset the router and voila it'll take the new device as well as whatever other ones are in the vicinity at the time.

Weird I know but it works for me, so worth a try?

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Eircom here, I had no issues connecting my phone to it. However, I have had issues in the past with the eircom router (zyxel) and connecting new devices to it. It seems to have no problem accepting old devices but for some reasons once I get to 3 or more devices having being connected to the router (not necessarily simultaneously) it starts having intermittent issues for the later devices. I found the way to fix this is to switch off the device. Hard Reset the router and voila it'll take the new device as well as whatever other ones are in the vicinity at the time.

Weird I know but it works for me, so worth a try?

Mine worked perfect for the first few days. How do you mean Hard reset it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mine worked perfect for the first few days. How do you mean Hard reset it?

Typically it means hold the reset button for five or more seconds to restore the router to factory settings.

Jernal wrote: »
    Typically it means hold the reset button for five or more seconds to restore the router to factory settings.

Thanks just tried that and while its not perfect, its improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone buy the Samsung pen for this phone? How do they rate??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I am now the proud owner of an s4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Anyone know how to fix this.
    My ring tone starts off low and then gets loud. Is this the same for everyone?

Anyone buy the Samsung pen for this phone? How do they rate??

You mean the capacitive pen? Or its there a different one? Kinda miss my note pen :-(

screenshot2013052322181.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that's battery life, 4h 30 mins of screen time with 75% brightness! Still got plenty to go. Had the media server running for half the day as well

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iggy wrote: »
    Anyone know how to fix this.
    My ring tone starts off low and then gets loud. Is this the same for everyone?

AFAIK thats the tone you chose, not the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the cartoon image that's present for contacts? I find it a bit annoying in texts but can't find an option to disable it.

I was able to change this. You can edit the contacts with an image. You should have a contact for your own contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

You mean the capacitive pen? Or its there a different one? Kinda miss my note pen :-(

screenshot2013052322181.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now that's battery life, 4h 30 mins of screen time with 75% brightness! Still got plenty to go. Had the media server running for half the day as well

Unreal mate! Stock ROM I take it?

How is the screen looking on your S4 guys with auto brightness on? For me some of the reds look a little washed out but they seem to look fine when brightness is turned up!? Is anyone else noticing this?

All the best,
    M

Advertisement