Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eteynzq07g0bv3f/1ESnXU7_8k

Had 4 hours to kill today so decided I would take a pile of pictures to test the S4 camera. Drop box album link above if you interested. I was shooting auto mode at 9.7 mp.

In all found it grand, though I find the view finder to be very shaky, more so than S3 or N2 and narrow viewing angle of the lens is retarded. Everything looks way closer than it actually is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eteynzq07g0bv3f/1ESnXU7_8k

Had 4 hours to kill today so decided I would take a pile of pictures to test the S4 camera. Drop box album link above if you interested. I was shooting auto mode at 9.7 mp.

In all found it grand, though I find the view finder to be very shaky, more so than S3 or N2 and narrow viewing angle of the lens is retarded. Everything looks way closer than it actually is

Jesus Dublin is a kip!

Jesus Dublin is a kip!

Ah I like parts of it. I always wanted to go past the o2 and see what's there, so picked up a Dublin bike and went exploring :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Ah I like parts of it. I always wanted to go past the o2 and see what's there, so picked up a Dublin bike and went exploring :-)
    Ah I'm only twisting your arm. I'm a Cork head so just being stereotypical.

Thanks for the pics though.

I was originally gonna get the S4 but then I saw the S4 Active rumours so was going to hold off for that in July but the rumours day it only has an 8mp camera and I also don't think otterbox or griffin will make cases for it

so I think I'm gonna wait till september for the Note 3, it's gonna have all the bells and whistles of the S4 plus 3gb of ram a higher capacity battery and the new plastic displays which are way lighter and almost unbreakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Received my S4 yesterday and the defender case today. It'll take a bit of getting used to after 5 years on an iPhone but I'm loving it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Soby wrote: »
    Anywhere cheaper to get this than 639 with 02 via carphone warehouse . bit annyoing its 599 if your with vodaphone

What the best case to get it.

And would Chill (Gadget insurance ) be the best to get insurance with?. The 6 euro a month seems to cover everything liqud damange , theft , loss etc

O2 have 20% off it at the moment. Works out at €512 on Prepay from €639
    once the discount code is added (and your due a prepay/billpay upgrade)

See Priority Moments to see if you qualify for the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hi all,

Apologies if this stuff has already been covered but I got this phone recently and was just wondering, what apps, covers, accessories etc. you folks are recommending people look into?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Jernal wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this stuff has already been covered but I got this phone recently and was just wondering, what apps, covers, accessories etc. you folks are recommending people look into?

I asked about cases a few pages ago, got a helpful reply.
    My phone came a bit quicker than I expected so gonna try source one in town so I can use it straight away.
    I got both the Casemate Tough and Spigen Neo Hybrid case. Spigen is lovely looking but offers less protection than the Case mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

O2 have 20% off it at the moment. Works out at €512 on Prepay from €639
    once the discount code is added (and your due a prepay/billpay upgrade)

See Priority Moments to see if you qualify for the offer.

Sweet man , was litereally about to buy it and it goes down for maintance till 6.30 am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

corklad32 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can anyone with a meteor s4 that is not rooted tell me what firmware they have - settings, about.

Second question could you go to your dialler and type *#1234# and call out the last 3 letters/digits from the csc - i think it should be MDM or MDB

Many thanks

4.2.2 firmware, csc is md8 on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

markc1184 wrote: »
    4.2.2 firmware, csc is md8 on mine.
    Many thanks - one final thing can you advise if the software updated on your phone since you got it and what is your current build number - settings, about - last 3 digits.

Thanks muchly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

corklad32 wrote: »
    Many thanks - one final thing can you advise if the software updated on your phone since you got it and what is your current build number - settings, about - last 3 digits.

Thanks muchly!

Im not 100% on whether the software update but alot of things did update automatically shortly after booting it up. Build number digits are mde.

Just after collecting one of the Samsung 32gb cards that was posted a few days ago on here. Its showing as having 29.27gb available space. Can someone who understands them tell me if that is acceptable for a 32gb card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I just downloaded Weather Station (A-Minor) and I'm looking for a better app that:
    1. Allows to change precision of the measurement - showing 1/100th of a degree doesn't make any sense. Same applies for pressure & humidity.
    2. Uses some average (over a minute or 5 minutes) to show changes. Showing a trend based on a short term changes is useless.

[..]
    Just after collecting one of the Samsung 32gb cards that was posted a few days ago on here. Its showing as having 29.27gb available space. Can someone who understands them tell me if that is acceptable for a 32gb card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

Section: Consumer Confusion

Can someone who understands them tell me if that is acceptable for a 32gb card.

Yes. That's normal for any thing in regards to memory.

Including the S4. 16GB and only 8GB of space. :-(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I rooted my phone a few days ago, and my s health app doesn't seem to be there anymore. I do have other samsung apps. Happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

corklad32 wrote:
    Originally Posted by corklad32

Thanks muchly!
    Im not 100% on whether the software update but alot of things did update automatically shortly after booting it up. Build number digits are mde.

hi corklad32,
    My current build is MDC.
    Mine prompted for a software update a few days ago, Think it mentioned Firmware update,
    anyway I immediately cancelled it as accepting updates from Three in the past has rendered a previous device unusable (see thread on HTC Desire S).
    When I check for software updates now it starts to download a ~ 70mb file which I just cancelled.
    Anyway of finding out what these updates are and what they will do to your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

MarkR wrote: »
    I rooted my phone a few days ago, and my s health app doesn't seem to be there anymore. I do have other samsung apps. Happen to anyone else?

Can you explain how you did it? Was reading stuff on the xda developers forum and was confused by it all.

Is it worth rooting your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Can you explain how you did it? Was reading stuff on the xda developers forum and was confused by it all.

I have an S3, so apologies in advance for not really being allowed post here.....

It is incredibly easy to root (the S3 is anyway and I can't see why the S4 would be any different) although with it being so new, I'm not sure if it has been hacked yet.

On the S3, you just download a file, put the phone into "download mode", connect it to your PC (with a software app called "Odin" already running on it), select the file and press start. It takes about 1 minute to do it, maybe a bit longer the first time! That's it in a nutshell, but you can find more technical guides on youtube.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgawRd-U2LA

The advantages of it are numerous, depending on what you want to do. If it's rooted, you can put custom ROMS on there and basically make the phone look and perform exactly as you ant, not what Samsung wants.

You can get rid of "bloatware" if it's rooted (not just disable it, but really get rid of it). Some apps that come pre-loaded by Samsung can't really be turned off unless it's rooted.

Another advantage is that it will allow certain apps to perform more advanced features. For example, I use AutomateIT to control how the phone does things without my input, It's a great app, and on an unrooted phone it will allow you to set up triggers and actions such as "turn wifi on a certain time/location". Good stuff, but when rooted it can do even more. For example, I have it set up to enable airplane mode at midnight and disable it at 6:30, all by itself. Another rule I've set up is that when I disconnect from my bluetooth car kit (ie. turn my car off), the phone automatically shuts down bluetooth. Another one....when "Maps" is started, GPS turns on and when it's closed, GPS turns off fully.

I used motochopper to root and yes it is worth to do it. AdAway, FasterGPS and many more apps won't work without rooting

• Advertisement

You can get rid of "bloatware" if it's rooted (not just disable it, but really get rid of it). Some apps that come pre-loaded by Samsung can't really be turned off unless it's rooted.

Thanks mate. I mananged to install the official stock rom to get rid of all my vodafone bloatware. But by doing that is it rooted? or Did I root it and then get rid of the root by installing the official stock rom? Apologies for these noob questions. I was good at iphone Jailbreak but totally confused by android rooting and modding.
    PrzemoF wrote: »
    I used motochopper to root and yes it is worth to do it. AdAway, FasterGPS and many more apps won't work without rooting

Thanks Przemo, will have a look into it. Did you software/firmware status remain offical when you did that or did it change to custom?

Question

When I got the phone I somehow set up a setting where it would let me edit a screenshot right after taking it. It's starting to annoy me, but can't find where the settings for this are located.

Thanks mate. I mananged to install the official stock rom to get rid of all my vodafone bloatware. But by doing that is it rooted? or Did I root it and then get rid of the root by installing the official stock rom? Apologies for these noob questions. I was good at iphone Jailbreak but totally confused by android rooting and modding.

Thanks Przemo, will have a look into it. Did you software/firmware status remain offical when you did that or did it change to custom?

"Rooting" vs. "jailbreaking"

I have no idea, I did few things in a short period of time - rooting by flashing with heimdall, installing cwm (the same method), rooting with motochopper (the first try with heimdal gave me weird results, su was present, but some apps didn't see it), flashing cyanogenmod (failed, had to revert to original samsung firmware).
    Where I can check it?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    "Rooting" vs. "jailbreaking"

Where I can check it?

Cool thanks, you can check it in Setting - More - About device - status - device status will either say official or custom

Cool thanks, you can check it in Setting - More - About device - status - device status will either say official or custom
    Device status: Custom

Thanks mate. I mananged to install the official stock rom to get rid of all my vodafone bloatware. But by doing that is it rooted?

AFAIK when you flash an official samsung firmware onto the phone, it is not rooted. You're simply replacing one "factory OS" with another.

If you use a "leaked" version of android rather than an official one (even if it is samsung branded) then you may increase your binary counter and the phone will say it has a "custom" rom instead of "official" rom. Effectively it IS a custom rom, but not in the sense that putting something completely different, like CyanogenMod, would be. It's still Samsung, just not an official samsung firmware.

There's a good chance that the firmware you're using has the VF bloatware missing but it still has the Samsung bloatware (like Chaton for example). The only way to get rid of the Samsung bloat is to go the whole way to a custom rom, or root the device and use an app called Titanium Backup to "freeze" unwanted apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Since the rooting is being discussed here, a quick question.

Say if I root my phone, will I still get the OTA updates or do I need to put the latest firmware manually every time there's an update?

coldfire1x wrote: »

Say if I root my phone, will I still get the OTA updates or do I need to put the latest firmware manually every time there's an update?

Depends on the version of the ROM that you use. On some of them, you will only get updates if you go back onto the likes of XDA and seek out the new versions and flash them yourself. On the other hand, I've had official roms that have updated through the Kies software when connected to the PC. I've never been able to get an OTA update, even with the software that was on the phone when I bought it.

So in my case, I had to use the computer to update it, either through Kies or through finding a ROM and using the Odin software. TBH, Odin is far simpler and arguably more reliable to use than Kies. Kies makes iTunes look good.

coldfire1x wrote: »

You lose OTA functionality. I still think you can use kies though

• Advertisement

You lose OTA functionality. I still think you can use kies though

I may be wrong (as I am new to all this stuff) but according to this method you do not lose OTA functionality.

Advertisement