Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mezy

I've been going through this thread and almost every other post makes me think... "I must be crazy to do this" I have been considering this tattoo for four years and am now starting the process of finding an artist to do it. First and probably only tattoo, I don't really like tattoos all that much but I think one really well-done, and well-placed tattoo is beautiful.

Basically I'm getting a full-back tattoo of a peacock, thinking about having parts going out onto side of ribs, hips, and the back of the neck, but nothing I cant cover up if need be (I have a business diploma, and live in a rather conservative city, people dont like tattoos here much). Soo... the feathers will be extremely detailed, I'm imagining it'll have to be single-needle work for most of that, plus placement... and my first tattoo. Nervous about how much it is likely to hurt but I want it too bad to avoid it. Am I kicking myself in the teeth for getting something this big (and probably painful) as a first tattoo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

It'll obviously be painful, but a piece that big will most likely be done in a few sittings, so you shouldn't be in too much pain if you're being tattooed for 4-6 hours at a time rather than one mega sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Also its always worse than expect. You build it up loads in your head so it doesn't seem so bad when its done. I mean it will still be painful, especially when you are sitting for a long time, just less painful than you expect. Well that's what I found and what a lot of my friends have said as well.

Also that sounds like an amazing piece, you have to post a picture when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Time to contribute.

Scarification? HURTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Time to contribute.

Scarification? HURTS!

How does the healing/aftercare work for one of those out of interest?

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    How does the healing/aftercare work for one of those out of interest?

It depends on how you scar, and how you want the scar to end up. The bottom line is that no matter how you regulate things, there is just no known way to producing different types of scar. You can, however, give it a push in the right direction.

If you leave it alone, it'll scar lightly and be more likely to fade. If you irritate it, it'll scar thicker and darker. You can use chemical irritants or you can just scrub it. Personally, because my scars tend to fade, but I still want a light look, I'll be giving it a gentle hassling whenever I shower with a loofa.

It's wrapped in a bandage for one day, then left to breathe. No irritation within the first few days.

I will go through all of this in a proper thread at some point, so perhaps save questions until then, so we can get them all in one place! :)

Also that sounds like an amazing piece, you have to post a picture when its done.

Thanks! I hope it turns out as amazing as it seems in my head. I'll def post pics when its done but it'll be a year or so!

Mezy wrote: »
    Thanks! I hope it turns out as amazing as it seems in my head. I'll def post pics when its done but it'll be a year or so!

Where will you be getting it done? :)

The odd place (Zulu for example) will use a numbing spray if you're in too much pain, although I've never availed of it (yet!). :)

Esoteric_ wrote: »

The odd place (Zulu for example) will use a numbing spray if you're in too much pain, although I've never availed of it (yet!). :)

Haven't decided yet. My top three choices are all "not accepting clients at the moment". So I've had to start looking for another, that is hopefully accepting.

Mezy wrote: »
    Haven't decided yet. My top three choices are all "not accepting clients at the moment". So I've had to start looking for another, that is hopefully accepting.

What were your top three choices? Are they not accepting any more clients at all, or are there just huge waiting lists? Sometimes it's worth waiting a very long time to get the artist you want. :)

• Advertisement

What were your top three choices? Are they not accepting any more clients at all, or are there just huge waiting lists? Sometimes it's worth waiting a very long time to get the artist you want. :)

I can't remember the first one because I didn't email just saw it on his website months ago, Bill Baker from Pearl Harbor Gift shop isn't taking on any new large work and Tony Hu from Chronic Ink, emailed and the staff said he isn't taking any bookings as of yet. I'd be more than willing to wait, don't have the money for it right now anyway, but no one mentioned a waiting list, didn't even know it was an option. All out of Toronto, BTW.

Maybe call them up and ask about waiting lists? Lots of artists that aren't taking bookings can be willing to put you on a waiting list, which also gives you time to save. :)

The numbing spray was used on me, and it works magnificently. You've got to open the skin for it to work, so you're not entirely without pain, but once it's applied and left to soak in, you feel almost nothing. You'd barely know you were being touched. The tattoo artist who was hanging about during my procedure was walking Patric through the use of it, as he uses it far more regularly. He says he usually only uses the spray when pain gets particularly intense or hard to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh I've had the numbing spray used on me twice, once by Remis on my first sitting on my ribs and by Michal towards the end on my chest, a lad in work had it used on him for most of his piece on his inner bicep.

As Rho said they cant put it on straight away as the pores have to be opened for it to work but once on there works wonders barely feel a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

had another laser sesh last nite.the last few wer grand but for whatever reason this one hurt like a biaaatch (yeah that much) and a couple of nasty looking blisters had formed by this morning.had a couple of small blisters the last time not like these ones.i cant wait till i can start my coverup.ah the silly tattoo decisions of youth and the problems its causing me today

So bicep area was sorer than my side but still not all that bad. Almost dosed off a few times. I've only say for forty five minutes before so felt pretty wrecked after two hours. My arm is lovely and swollen now with a nice purple bruise starting to form around it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Not sure if this is the thread for this but is it ok to put sun cream on a 10 day old tattoo? living in Donegal this is not a question I ever thought I'd ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

dinorebel wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the thread for this but is it ok to put sun cream on a 10 day old tattoo? living in Donegal this is not a question I ever thought I'd ask.

I wouldn't be putting anything other than a moisturiser on a fresh tattoo for at least 14 days just to be safe.

I'd also be keeping it out of direct sun light for at least 14 days so shouldn't be a need for sun cream.

You lot reminded me to start a thread about suncream. :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'd also be keeping it out of direct sun light for at least 14 days so shouldn't be a need for sun cream.
    Do you have any idea how rare a sunny day is in Donegal:D

I don't know but I was in Donegal once and it was sun splitting both days so im going to go with 100% of the time :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Being originally from there, I do!

Sun cream on a new tattoo would be a big no no!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 carrycash

I decide to go through tattoo but i am feeling scared about the pain.. I want but don't know how...

What part of your body do you want the tattoo on?

carrycash wrote: »
    I decide to go through tattoo but i am feeling scared about the pain.. I want but don't know how...

Scared is good, scared means when you go on you'll have built it up so much it will never be as sore as you expected. Me and several people I know had that experience. I couldn't believe how little hurt and after a while, depending how long it takes, your skin goes numb and you barely feel the needle (for a short sitting, for a long sitting it does increase after a while apparently).

Posting in here since I don't fee like I need to post a new thread, how long after getting a tattoo do you have to wait to get it touched up? I don't plan on doing it soon since wearing long sleeves in this weather is killer but just wondering do you wait till it's 'visibly healed' or until it's fully healed which I think is three months or so? Just wondering because some patches have faded a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Posting in here since I don't fee like I need to post a new thread, how long after getting a tattoo do you have to wait to get it touched up? I don't plan on doing it soon since wearing long sleeves in this weather is killer but just wondering do you wait till it's 'visibly healed' or until it's fully healed which I think is three months or so? Just wondering because some patches have faded a bit.

14 days at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Getting a quote tattooed on my brazilian area, well still planning it at the moment, it wouldnt be that sore would it?

• Advertisement

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Getting a quote tattooed on my brazilian area, well still planning it at the moment, it wouldnt be that sore would it?

By brazilian area, I presume you mean on an intimate area? I'd imagine that'd be pretty damn sore, but can't tell you as I haven't gotten it done. ALL tattoos hurt, but pain is subjective. My 'easy to get through' could be somebody's 'that was fcuking agony.'

Advertisement