Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I feel your pain in the next say 7 weeks im booked in for three sittings on my ribs well some of it is on my arse which im thinking wont be to bad I hope compared to the ribs anyway.

But two of them will be on my ribs at least, but at least I know what to expect Ive already had three long sittings on my ribs.
    Already got a piece on my right rib(Darwins tree of life) so it only clocked in at about half an hour. Next one is massive in comparison, nearly hip to armpit and wrapping around my full side. Most likely it'll be scaled down but i still know I'm in for an awful time. Still not sure why we do this to ourselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Glad I'm only a 20 minute walk from Snakebite; no driving for me at the end of my session! Cheers for the advice so far guys!

I know we are starting from my wrist up, all my forearm tattoos on the other arm have been no bother, but not looking forward to inside the elbow!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

had my 3rd laser removal session yesterday.it was grand at the time but my arms a little sore today.had a couple of small blisters appear which didn't happen the other times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

My feet have been the worst for me pain-wise so far, but still bearable. My left side/hip I found the hardest to sit for - not because of the pain but I got really uncomfortable lying on my other side for 4+hrs, my legs started cramping up etc :(

I only have a small piece on my ribs at the moment (c.40mins), but it's on my front so I got to lie flat on my back which was grand.
    I really want to get a large piece on my right side, but I'm dreading having to lie on my side again :/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

My forté is piercings, so I could put up a bunch here, but in all honesty, there's not that much of a difference if they're done properly. Nipples barely hurt me more than an eyebrow piercing, really. If you have endorphins in your system, they're all pretty fine. Industrial and wrist were a pain in the ass to live with while healing, and a 4mm conch punch has been my most painful to date, although that was also totally fine and only hurt marginally more than the rest of my piercings :)

• Advertisement

My forté is piercings, so I could put up a bunch here, but in all honesty, there's not that much of a difference if they're done properly. Nipples barely hurt me more than an eyebrow piercing, really. If you have endorphins in your system, they're all pretty fine. Industrial and wrist were a pain in the ass to live with while healing, and a 4mm conch punch has been my most painful to date, although that was also totally fine and only hurt marginally more than the rest of my piercings :)

Urgh I hated getting my nipple done. I had to take it out a few months ago after 10 years as I felt like it was starting to reject. I'd really like to get it done again but not sure I could be arsed going through that again :(

innad wrote: »
    Urgh I hated getting my nipple done. I had to take it out a few months ago after 10 years as I felt like it was starting to reject. I'd really like to get it done again but not sure I could be arsed going through that again :(

One of mine rejected too, but after a few months, because the bar I had in it was too heavy. Funny, one could handle the weight fine and the other one completely came out. Will definitely get it re-pierced though, I need my symmetry :P

One of mine rejected too, but after a few months, because the bar I had in it was too heavy. Funny, one could handle the weight fine and the other one completely came out. Will definitely get it re-pierced though, I need my symmetry :P

Only had the one done as I was a bit paranoid about damaging milk ducts or whatever *shudder*. Not sure if I can get the same one pierced now that it's healed, or if there'll be too much scar tissue :confused:

Only had the one done as I was a bit paranoid about damaging milk ducts or whatever *shudder*. Not sure if I can get the same one pierced now that it's healed, or if there'll be too much scar tissue :confused:

Nipple piercings generally don't damage milk ducts at all, as there are tons of them.
    We have not found any cases of women who wished to breast feed and could not as a result of having had a nipple piercing. The milk ducts are a multiplicity of little pore-like ducts. Therefore, the likelihood of closing them all off from a piercing of usual size is virtually nil.

Most women do remove their jewellery for breast feeding and we believe this to be appropriate. As a result, some milk may come from the site of the piercing during nursing, which is not harmful nor problematic. Some woman will use an insertion taper (a tool designed for this purpose) to facilitate reinsertion or to check regularly and make certain the holes are open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

RhoDoDenDron, I was just about to ask a question to that effect regarding nipple piercings and breastfeeding. I'd love to get one done myself but I'm chicken**** in the face of pain. I'd also love a tongue piercing but I'm told the aftercare is a bitch and metal bars can potentially cause problems in the dental aspect. :/

• Advertisement

McChubbin wrote: »
    RhoDoDenDron, I was just about to ask a question to that effect regarding nipple piercings and breastfeeding. I'd love to get one done myself but I'm chicken**** in the face of pain. I'd also love a tongue piercing but I'm told the aftercare is a bitch and metal bars can potentially cause problems in the dental aspect. :/

Actually, mine healed really well! A week or awkwardness and it was clear sailing. Overall, one of the easiest piercings I've gotten.

As for dental damage, that depends on the jewellery you wear. Proper bar length and softer balls can reduce dental damage. I used to wear a plastic ball on the bottom so it wouldn't rub off my teeth too much, but honestly I've been wearing both metal balls on it for ages and have had no dental issues, although I've not had them looked at professionally or anything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

funnilly enough my nipple piercings rejected after years too.i got them done first when i was 18 and had to take them out a couple of years later for an xray and didn't put them back in.fast forward another couple of years and i decided to get them done again (which hurt like a fother-mucker going thru the scar tissue) and they were grand for about 4years then suddenly they started rejecting.didnt help my poor nipples any when i was drunk one night and decided to speed up the rejection process by pulling them the rest of the way out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I didn't find healing my tongue awkward at all. The initial swelling is a bitch but besides that it's fine. It's one of the quickest healing piercings from what I've heard. I am a bit worried about my teeth but from what I've heard as long as the bar is the right length and you don't play with it constantly you won't damage your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'd also love a tongue piercing but I'm told the aftercare is a bitch and metal bars can potentially cause problems in the dental aspect. :/

The aftercare is pretty much non existant. Just mouthwash after every meal and your sorted.

funnilly enough my nipple piercings rejected after years too.i got them done first when i was 18 and had to take them out a couple of years later for an xray and didn't put them back in.fast forward another couple of years and i decided to get them done again (which hurt like a fother-mucker going thru the scar tissue) and they were grand for about 4years then suddenly they started rejecting.didnt help my poor nipples any when i was drunk one night and decided to speed up the rejection process by pulling them the rest of the way out :o

OUCH! :eek:
    I didn't find healing my tongue awkward at all. The initial swelling is a bitch but besides that it's fine. It's one of the quickest healing piercings from what I've heard. I am a bit worried about my teeth but from what I've heard as long as the bar is the right length and you don't play with it constantly you won't damage your teeth.

I think my tongue was the most awkward to heal out of anyone I've talked to, and even at that it was only a month. The initial bar was so long (obviously it has to be due to swelling) that it dug a bit of a hole in the roof of my mouth, and once the swelling went down the movement of the longer bar caused a small tear around the piercing which made my piercer reluctant to change it for a smaller bar. I also ended up having to get the bar changed for a shorter one twice (apparently I have a smaller than average tongue?!), and it didn't fully heal until the shortest bar was in there. Having said that, all of that happened over a month, so it was still the easiest and quickest piercing to heal, and none of what I described was actually painful, just annoying.

I've had it for about 12 years now and it hasn't damaged my teeth (touch wood), but I don't think you'll find a dentist who isn't dead against them. Every now and then when I'm eating I accidentally bite the ball and holy mother that is not pleasant! But no chipped teeth yet!

RhoDoDenDron, out of a matter of interest what softer balls would you recommend?
    EDIT: I should have mentioned that I don't particularly like the look of plastic..

RhoDoDenDron, out of a matter of interest what softer balls would you recommend?
    EDIT: I should have mentioned that I don't particularly like the look of plastic..

Other than plastic? I've heard of people using 18k or even 22k gold on tongue piercings. The gold is softer than enamel, so the ball scratches instead of your teeth. The hard part would be getting jewellery like that into the country, but most piercers can get wholesale in from the States, etc. :)

I've had it for about 12 years now and it hasn't damaged my teeth (touch wood), but I don't think you'll find a dentist who isn't dead against them.
    QUOTE]

I need to get some stuff done and dreading my dentist will react to it. My teeth are already in pretty horrid condition because I didn't take care of them as a child so I think I'll be in for a lecture when she sees the piercing. Be a while though since I currently have no money. Fillings cost a ****ing bomb...

I want nipple piercings so bad but no money for them either (obviously, not gonna choose piercings over dental work). Also I've heard it's best to wait till you're about 22 before getting nipple piercings since your body may still be developing. A year seems like such a long time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Also I've heard it's best to wait till you're about 22 before getting nipple piercings since your body may still be developing.

^ This, a million times this.

I think it may be one of your posts I read that in actually. Well I guess a year long wait it will be then.

Definitely best till you know for sure that everything is as it should be before getting it done!

• Advertisement

I hadn't heard that before actually, but it makes total sense. I was either 21 or 22 when I had mine done, so I guess I wasn't too far off.

I seriously need to get my teeth sorted, too, been putting it off for ages. Why is it so damn expensive? :mad:

I have a bunch in my mouth (four lip rings, 9mm labret, tongue, cheeks and philtrum) and I chew on them constantly. I was quite worried about seeing a dentist (as I don't go very often) but she didn't say anything about my piercings at all. Said my teeth were fine and brush regularly, blah blah. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I think it may be one of your posts I read that in actually. Well I guess a year long wait it will be then.

Definitely agreed with Damo that you should wait. I'm 24 in a few weeks and mine are still growing. It can take some women up to the age of 25 before their body fully finishes developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm the worst to ask about piercings, cause I enjoy them. Nipple was a grand one :pac: sure it's over ad soon as it begins!

I had a nipple re-pierced. Think he just went in a little below the scar Tissue from the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Definitely agreed with Damo that you should wait. I'm 24 in a few weeks and mine are still growing. It can take some women up to the age of 25 before their body fully finishes developing.

Well I'm screwed then! :eek::eek:

Esoteric_ wrote: »

Meant to comment here before, just to clarify, growing =/= developing, they can still grow or shrink, while being fully developed! Development refers to the development of the actual mammary gland and milk ducts etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Meant to comment here before, just to clarify, growing =/= developing, they can still grow or shrink, while being fully developed! Development refers to the development of the actual mammary gland and milk ducts etc...

Jaysus, you know your boobs! :pac:

I suppose I should also clarify, that by 'develop,' I indeed meant growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Would a conch piercing or Tragus piercing be more painful? I'm a bit freaked about the conch. The Tragus seems less scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

phi3 wrote: »
    Would a conch piercing or Tragus piercing be more painful? I'm a bit freaked about the conch. The Tragus seems less scary!

Tragus was fine for m, have both done with no bother at all. I found my conch extremely painful, absolutely hated it. Never again. It also never healed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

phi3 wrote: »

Tragus was fine for me personally, felt no different to a helix piercing. The conch on the other hand was quite sore. Mine swelled up and bled a lot as well but after that it healed fine and still have it nearly 6 years on.

Advertisement