Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Fair enough. Didn't meant for it to sound like the same question. Just bringing up the fact that I was suddenly actually nervous about it, not curious about what it felt like. I did feel annoying posting it if it makes any difference. I have read up on a lot of stuff and watched a crap load of videos about it and so far the "millions of people do it and survive" mentality is working with me so yeah. anywayyyy yeah my apologies and thanks for the info as always, hate making things awkward oops :(

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Don't worry about it,

As I said in the PM I sent you a while ago, feel free to ask me any questions. But also, don't trust what any one person says as gold either.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Karlitto wrote: »
    If you are worried about the pain of a body mod, you shouldn't get it done. Yes, they all hurt to some extent.

That's not really fair...I got a new tattoo this weekend and had 3 before it...i was still terrified about pain in the run up to it...to some its a really scary thing (I know it is for me) doesnt mean I don't want my tattoo just means i have to build up myself a bit more before getting it. I actually think it makes me be more certain about what im going to get because I'm not willing to go through that pain for something im not 100000% sure about.

YNWA yes they hurt...you could be lucky like my friend and the pains gone 5 minutes after the tattoo or be like me and its still sore (when I say sore imagine a big bruise you'd rather no one hit) 2 days later, but the way i look at it the pain will stop soon but the pretty tattoo I love will be there forever so in the end its definitely worth it!

Good luck with the tattoo....and ill keep my fingers crossed youre more like my friend than me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Can anyone give an estimation of what kind of pain I'd expect getting my calf tattooed? It's pretty fleshy for the most part with a fair amount of fat (Yes, cankles. Shadduppayoface! :P ) and I've heard that the fleshier the area the lesser the pain.
    Just wondering. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The calf was piss easy for me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have to agree with Adiboo for me the calf has been the easiest place I've gotten some work done on.

That's good. :) I was a bit worried it would hurt like the wrist- when Cathel went over the vein... *shudder* I was bawling internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I had the opposite experience to the others.

The calf was by far the most painful of all 5 tattoos I've had done.

However, fleshy areas didn't hurt me. My calves (unlike the rest of my body!) are ridiculously toned, and hurt way more than any other fleshy area that wasn't well toned.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

I found my calves quite easy, got a bit irritating as it was going around to my shin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm another love the pain of it person. It is part of the experience, kinda like a high!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

personally I found the calf very bearable, as was the side of the lower leg. Shin was a bit ouchy though.. but not enough to put me off planning a whole "front of lower leg" piece on the other side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Parts of the calf I found to be almost ticklish, which is worse than being in pain because your leg want to naturally move away from the tickle and your laughing like a goon :p

I went in to get my first the other day and actually ended up getting two done considering my first was literally a three letter name, so I went ahead with the one other script I had wanted! Was very quick tbh I was pleasantly surprised

I got the name on the inside of my wrist, honestly wasn't that painful. I'd have called it a four out of ten if it had lasted long enough for me to register it. Its perfectly small and discreet so I thought I probably cheated and the arm would be much worse, I got two lines of lyrics on the inside of my left arm and it was just a consistent 4/10 while it was being done. Its hurting me a bit now but more irritating than anything

Very happy with them and keen to get started with more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I found my calf tattoo almost unbearable, so much so in fact that I swore I wouldn't have the other one done..

And funny enough the inside of my bicep was more of a scratch than real pain.

291639.jpg

291638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I found my calf tattoo almost unbearable, so much so in fact that I swore I wouldn't have the other one done...

I said the exact same about my kneecap........Think I lasted about 2 months before common sense kicked it and I got the other one done

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've the three pokémon tattoos on my right calf and I thought it was fine really. Will likely get some more in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

i have a tattoo on the back of one of my calves and on the side of my other calf and i found it grand.probably the easiest area i've gotten inked on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I really do think pain when getting tattooed can have so many variables, got my left calf done a piece that took just over 6 hours and found it my easiest sitting ever honestly could of kept going for a couple more hours.

Then on Monday got my right calf done a smaller piece a piece that took just over 4 hours and the last hour was a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I got my first Tattoo last December (Roman Numerals across my chest). I was expecting it to hurt a lot but it didnt. A couple of niggly scrathy pains but nothing too bad at all.

However last Monday I got my second tattoo (Oghram writing from under my arm to my hip) and boy did that hurt. It still feels pretty sensitive now but Im still glad I got it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

This stuff works, I dont know why everyone doesn't use it

http://www.amazon.com/Vasocaine-Numbing-Tattoo-Painless-Anesthetic/product-reviews/B004WOSOA8/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Not right away but after an hour or so when your outline is done, if its getting tough to hack, a spray of that on the open outline will have you sailing through the next hour barely feeling a thing.

It's great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Some people have reactions to Vasocaine and swell up something terrible after it's applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

so my two cents on a couple of areas

1. touched upon the crook of my elbow.ouch
    2. got a little bit done on part of the bone of my elbow.bigger ouch
    3. my flabby bingo wing triceps.ouch

Got some new ink on my chest area so my two cents on this:
    - Relatively painless (could feel the vibration but no pinch) on the general upper chest. 1/10
    - Lip bitingly ouch on the part of my script which goes onto the breast tissue. That was the worst pain of both of the tattoos i have (inner arm is my other), but not that bad. 4/10
    - Up by the collarbone/just underneath was fine, it felt like a lot of pressure and a bit of an ache on the bone but nowhere near as bad as the breast tissue. 2/10

And I got my nose pierced a few days ago, which was like a 5/10 for me, and a lot more painful than either of my tattoo experiences, like, seriously, I'd rather get my boobs tattooed for an hour. Then again...it wasn't that bad and only lasted 15 seconds so I'm being a tad dramatic. I still plan on getting the other side of my nose done, and my septum, sooo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I've found that colour is a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Got my inner elbow to the base of my hand tattoed and I found it really painful, my other tattoo on the opposite wrist was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Hi!
    I'm planning on getting something about the size of an iPhone 5 under my collar bone, for my first and i'm not going to lie, i'm ****ting it.
    I'm only 16, and I have a low pain threshold. Will it hurt in that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

JamieHP wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm planning on getting something about the size of an iPhone 5 under my collar bone, for my first and i'm not going to lie, i'm ****ting it.
    I'm only 16, and I have a low pain threshold. Will it hurt in that place?

No it wont hurt a bit, because nowhere decent will go near you for a further 2 years

Can anyone offer an insight into the pain of getting a nipple pierced? I've been considering it for a while to tide me over until I get my next tattoo but the thought of having a spike shoved through a pretty tender piece of anatomy makes me shudder. I'm told it's different for everyone. I'd like a bar-bell but I'm concerned that it might rub off my bra. FYI, I wear the sports bras from Penneys for comfort's sake so there's not much rubbing going on anyhoo... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

McChubbin wrote: »
    Can anyone offer an insight into the pain of getting a nipple pierced? I've been considering it for a while to tide me over until I get my next tattoo but the thought of having a spike shoved through a pretty tender piece of anatomy makes me shudder. I'm told it's different for everyone. I'd like a bar-bell but I'm concerned that it might rub off my bra. FYI, I wear the sports bras from Penneys for comfort's sake so there's not much rubbing going on anyhoo... :/

I had mine done 3 weeks ago. It was very sore going in, when the plastic piece was left in to allow the jewellery to be inserted ( i opted for a ring) it felt like a biatch. Once this was removed the pressure wasnt as bad. Should really have gone with the bar as it catches on my T-shirt / jumper when removing. Nipple is now hyper sensitive. Wouldn't really notice its there anymore. Wouldn't dare think of getting the second nip done. Takes a while to fully heal, 3-6months i was told by my piercer.

Male perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Tis grand, everyone always over dramaticizes the pain. tis a nip (ha ha) at best

Advertisement