Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

tramoreabu wrote: »
    Can't believe there's no city lads getting a look in, just like the u21.

And can you tell me how many city lads went to the trial? I have seen it with years, the best of the city players (aka the hurlers) dont want to play the football! also billy o keefe Ballygunner/gaultier is starting because if memory serves me right he has been the only city player on that age, playing since u14?

If im wrong in anything im saying please feel free to tell me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

And can you tell me how many city lads went to the trial? I have seen it with years, the best of the city players (aka the hurlers) dont want to play the football! also billy o keefe Ballygunner/gaultier is starting because if memory serves me right he has been the only city player on that age, playing since u14?

If im wrong in anything im saying please feel free to tell me :D

Well it was posted in this thread a few weeks ago that nobody from the East was contacted about the under 21 trials. Could be different for minor.... could be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Hoe all the dual lads come through unscathed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

jive wrote: »
    Well it was posted in this thread a few weeks ago that nobody from the East was contacted about the under 21 trials. Could be different for minor.... could be

Yeah but there's a lad from Erins Own in goal as well as a few lads from Rathgormack and a Gaultier player, and who knows what players are on the bench. Before we go spare about the East not being represented, might be worth enquiring how many wanted to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football C'ship - Waterford 2-5 Limerick 1-5 - Ht score

• Advertisement

Electric Ireland Munster Minor Football C'ship - Waterford 2-5 Limerick 1-5 - Ht score

tis over lad we won it.....

Hon the deise!!!!

was that the final score, i was just having a look on the web that's all they gave me, so i said i'd post up here

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

robopaddy wrote: »
    tis over lad we won it.....

Hon the deise!!!!
    Who needs training!

Pity to see them so under prepared. Between the under 21 and minor teams this year theres obviously plenty of talent there. Hopefully they'll knuckle down and give the semi final against Tipp or Clare a good go.

Pity to see them so under prepared. Between the under 21 and minor teams this year theres obviously plenty of talent there. Hopefully they'll knuckle down and give the semi final against Tipp or Clare a good go.

when will that semi be before or after the leaving? always have a chance when your on the opposite side of the draw to cork or kerry

• Advertisement

was that the final score, i was just having a look on the web that's all they gave me, so i said i'd post up here

3-9 to 3-8. withstood a late fightback

when will that semi be before or after the leaving? always have a chance when your on the opposite side of the draw to cork or kerry

15 of May apparently, very late in the year to be having it.

3-9 to 3-8. withstood a late fightback

fair play to them. apparently they only had one training session. what truth is to this i don't know. but i wouldn't be surprised if it was true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

fair play to them. apparently they only had one training session. what truth is to this i don't know. but i wouldn't be surprised if it was true

I think the proper squad only had a get together thursday night and the team was picked !

Yeah but there's a lad from Erins Own in goal as well as a few lads from Rathgormack and a Gaultier player, and who knows what players are on the bench. Before we go spare about the East not being represented, might be worth enquiring how many wanted to play.

It's roughly the same representation of the East as there was in the U21. The U21 players from the East still weren't contacted, though. Some found out about it and went on their own volition, I know others who didn't want to because they were never contacted (including one who played last year against Kerry).

15 of May apparently, very late in the year to be having it.

look a least the lads on the hurling panel can get a break of 10 days without a game now and then the footballers can get a clear run of 2 weeks after that before their game.

Some of these lads have played an insane amount of games lately between hurling, football, school and combined colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

East West divide in the smallest county in Munster is hilarious. I doubt you will hear this kind of talk in Co Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Did Anyone see the Gleeson cup game yesterday and if so what players stood out

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    East West divide in the smallest county in Munster is hilarious. I doubt you will hear this kind of talk in Co Kilkenny.
    We're all embarrassed by it too.

jive wrote: »
    It's roughly the same representation of the East as there was in the U21. The U21 players from the East still weren't contacted, though. Some found out about it and went on their own volition, I know others who didn't want to because they were never contacted (including one who played last year against Kerry).

I agree the u21 team situation was ridiculous, and the management need to hold their hand up on that one. It isn't the same management team with the Minors though, and there was 4 East players starting as opposed to two and I dunno how many more made the bench. Sure was there any lads from Dungarvan that actually started the game? A club that's always been succesful underage, but thankfully we're not seeing people on here saying just because they're from Dungarvan that they're not on the team, or that they're entitled to be on the team just because they're from Dungarvan.

There isn't a quota that needs to be matched between the east and the west, and in light of the fact that a team with zero budget has just won our first game in 18 games and 11 years I think, then I would say that the management deserve credit but first and foremost the players deserve great credit and not have a stupid East/West argument.
    look a least the lads on the hurling panel can get a break of 10 days without a game now and then the footballers can get a clear run of 2 weeks after that before their game.

Some of these lads have played an insane amount of games lately between hurling, football, school and combined colleges.

Ah yeah like I agree that it's important for the likes of Devine, Curran and Daly and the other dual players. But I'm just saying that given a lot of them are doing their leaving cert it's very late for them to still be playing. One of the point of the leaving cert break is so that players don't injure their hand or arm and have to sit it out.

• Advertisement

Mr Tibbs wrote: »

hon the west

I agree the u21 team situation was ridiculous, and the management need to hold their hand up on that one. It isn't the same management team with the Minors though, and there was 4 East players starting as opposed to two and I dunno how many more made the bench. Sure was there any lads from Dungarvan that actually started the game? A club that's always been succesful underage, but thankfully we're not seeing people on here saying just because they're from Dungarvan that they're not on the team, or that they're entitled to be on the team just because they're from Dungarvan.

There isn't a quota that needs to be matched between the east and the west, and in light of the fact that a team with zero budget has just won our first game in 18 games and 11 years I think, then I would say that the management deserve credit but first and foremost the players deserve great credit and not have a stupid East/West argument.

Ah yeah like I agree that it's important for the likes of Devine, Curran and Daly and the other dual players. But I'm just saying that given a lot of them are doing their leaving cert it's very late for them to still be playing. One of the point of the leaving cert break is so that players don't injure their hand or arm and have to sit it out.

of course. youd forget about the leaving this is only sport at the end of the day.

why dont they have the semi's after the leaving like they do the hurling?

of course. youd forget about the leaving this is only sport at the end of the day.

why dont they have the semi's after the leaving like they do the hurling?

Not sure but I guess the leaving cert mightn't end til the 20th for some I'd imagine? So say for dual players like those in Tipp last year, where they made both finals, they would have had say a football semi the weekend after, then a hurling semi the following week then the football Munster Final followed by the Hurling final. Would be 4 weeks in a row. Hard to know what the best way to go about organizing it would be to be honest.

"And can you tell me how many city lads went to the trial? I have seen it with years, the best of the city players (aka the hurlers) dont want to play the football!"

Is what was said by someone else in this thread. I was responding to that by saying if it was anything like the U21s then there's probably a legitimate reason for the lack of Eastern players. The insinuation that players from the East don't want to play, in light of the situation regarding the U21s, is likely inaccurate. If people want to bash the city players then fire away but the same thing happened with the U21s and I didn't see anyone apologise or correct themselves after accusing them of not wanting to play. I'm not interested in an East/West argument or which is represented to what extent. I'd rather people didn't jump to conclusions and accuse a bunch of minor players of not wanting to play when they don't have a clue what the situation is. The West might just have a better standard of minor footballers at this point in time, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

This trend of poor Eastern board representation, and the city in particular isn't new, and isn't confined to underage.

A certain amount of blame will go down to the clubs - they should probably be offering more coaches and selectors to become involved with teams.

A certain amount of it will be down to the terrible preparation. Lads who are handy footballers in the East of the county will probably be strong hurlers, and also playing in a very well run soccer setup. You'll be hard pushed to get them to drop all that to attend some last minute trial hastily organised for Dungarvan.

Some of it then will be due to the time pressures in that you've got to pick the team and train them in a few short weeks, or days in this case! Management (mostly from the West) will pick players they're familiar with. If you're attending a trial game in January (which would be very early by Waterford standards), it could be six months since you've kicked a ball in last years club championships. If the selectors don't know you, and you're rusty in your first trial, chances are you won't make the cut.

I think this was the first win at minor level since 2005. Fair play to the lads, but the County Board should be ashamed of themselves. You can bet Cunningham or someone like that was giving them a speech beforehand wishing them all the best etc. and to go out there and put pride in the jersey, but at the same time allowing this shoddy preparation to happen.

hardybuck wrote: »

A certain amount of it will be down to the terrible preparation. Lads who are handy footballers in the East of the county will probably be strong hurlers, and also playing in a very well run soccer setup. You'll be hard pushed to get them to drop all that to attend some last minute trial hastily organised for Dungarvan.

Some of it then will be due to the time pressures in that you've got to pick the team and train them in a few short weeks, or days in this case! Management (mostly from the West) will pick players they're familiar with.

I dont buy either of those theories. Ive no doubt someone like Jackson Kiely would love to be able to have the wealth of big city clubs to choose from that his hurling counterparts do but the bottom line is that the footballers arent there in Waterford City if they are good enough they will be picked.

If indeed there are these hidden gems in the east that aren't being picked because 'Management mostly from the west' will only pick players they are familiar with, and the only reason they couldnt be bothered showing up to trial is because the location/notification wasnt to their liking then they have no business wearing a county in the first place. If you want to play badly enough you'll show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

lads from east waterford and the city by and large have no interest in football full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I dont buy either of those theories. Ive no doubt someone like Jackson Kiely would love to be able to have the wealth of big city clubs to choose from that his hurling counterparts do but the bottom line is that the footballers arent there in Waterford City if they are good enough they will be picked.

If indeed there are these hidden gems in the east that aren't being picked because 'Management mostly from the west' will only pick players they are familiar with, and the only reason they couldnt be bothered showing up to trial is because the location/notification wasnt to their liking then they have no business wearing a county in the first place. If you want to play badly enough you'll show up.

With respect, you are wrong on most the above. In the 2013 minor championship, there are 8 clubs. 5 of them are from the East, three of which are city clubs. Gaultier are the only undefeated team in the competition. To suggest there are no players in the city is a pretty lazy or ignorant assessment.

Your point regarding the notification of a trial (if they got it at all) is a bit odd. Fair enough, if you're from Modeligo, and only play GAA, you'll have a fair chance of nipping into Dungarvan for a trial at short notice.

If you're a Gaultier player, again chances are that you'll be very well catered for in terms of hurling and soccer, with a bit of football thrown in now and again. The soccer in particular offers a really well organised setup, with lots of games in a defined season. You simply won't get lads dropping all that to run off try and make a team that is thrown out onto a field at short notice, to play one game in which they'll probably get slaughtered and be criticised in the papers. I'd actually respect these guys intelligence by not turning up to play on a team which even our own County Board doesn't give a toss about.

And lastly, put yourself in the shoes of selectors/managers. You're given almost no time at all to pick and train a team. If you don't know a player, you don't have any time to take a risk on him. You'll stick to what you know.

If we had a proper setup, with proper management who are given proper time to pick and develop a squad, you'll see a better representation across the county. Our development squads are broken, clubs aren't sending players or mentors, and we are in crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

we should do what kk do with football, isnt as if we are ever going to win anything so why not just pore our resources into developing hurling. plenty counties in ireland dont give a toss about hurling so why should we struggle to be a dual county to the detriment of our hurling teams, mightnt be the right thing to say but thats the reality.

• Advertisement

we should do what kk do with football, isnt as if we are ever going to win anything so why not just pore our resources into developing hurling. plenty counties in ireland dont give a toss about hurling so why should we struggle to be a dual county to the detriment of our hurling teams, mightnt be the right thing to say but thats the reality.

Because people still want to play footballe for Waterford, and it's not exactly that will free up much funding as football is toitally under funded at the minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement