Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Whilst this team will be better for the fact that there is more pace and power added to the half back line, i still have question marks re o brien ferry bank [i wonder will he be midfield?], I just get the impression as was mentioned above the selectors have no idea what they have and there is a sence of panic about what they are doing, i do how ever agree with the selection of tom devine at wing back expect a huge improvement there, also the selection of cormac curran is huge [hopefully midfield], i think Waterford will win, but just and then please get organised for the rest of the campaign , as it could lead to huge success, if managed properly, big IF!.PS Also looking to see young gleeson of formile for the full game hear great things about him, think young foran is unlucky, i thought it he did ok on scraps.

There is definetly goals in that full forward line if we can get the ball in a lot quicker than we did against Tipp. Are we equipped to do that better this time Im not sure. I hear you about young O'Brien at midfield It didnt work the last time and Cormac Curran is a midfielder wing/back. Wonder might they switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Ehh...it's almost 50:50, but the majority of the team are from the East?

I don't think venue will make a huge difference, but Fraher the right call just in case they need the lights.

I actually played a minor championship game down in Fraher on time which ran into extra time, and we were touch and go for light coming towards the end on what was a very bright evening.

I believe Im right in saying that Clonea and Bonmahon are both closer to Dungarvan that Waterford. Also I would say it's alot more convenient for Cian Leamy and Michael Kearney as Dungarvan is near enough a halfway point between Ballyduff and the City.

I'd agree that the venue doesn't make much difference in terms of advantage. But definitely a neccesary change in case extra time is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I believe Im right in saying that Clonea and Bonmahon are both closer to Dungarvan that Waterford.

I'm just responding to the point where someone has said that most of the players are from the West. This is incorrect, in fact the opposite is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm just responding to the point where someone has said that most of the players are from the West. This is incorrect, in fact the opposite is true.

Yeah you are right, I think it was the other way round last Thursday which is maybe where the confusion is. But geographically the change probably makes more sense too for the players.

Not trying to spark a Fraher Field v Walsh Park debate again, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Anywhere west of Kilmeaden is the west of the county *dives for cover*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I just hate that a home match has become an away match (again)

*joins deiseach in a search for cover*

KevIRL wrote: »
    I just hate that a home match has become an away match (again)

Quite right, it's like asking a Manhattanite to go to Brooklyn!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Sh*t I didn't think I was going to start a civil war. If hostilities break out I suppose the East will be the Union Troops and the west will be The Confederates. Hands up I was wrong please don't hang me without my boots on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

deiseach wrote: »
    Quite right, it's like asking a Manhattanite to go to Brooklyn!

easy now lads a lot of us here are west-side. there is having the craic and taking the pi*s... fraher field is much better grounds that Walsh park. and we have lights :D , okay Walsh park has a bigger stand. but that's ready to fall down, and that's about the only thing that's better about the grounds, the pitch it's self is brutal...

civil war in the makings here

if only they had made WIT's grounds with proper stands and terrace's we would have a proper grounds. i personally don't care if its east or west of the county

Well how do folk feel about tomorrow evening. Clare are no slouch's at this grade and have been achieving a lot more than us these past few years. That's something I cant understand considering the young talent that has come through for us you would think we should be driving on now and start showing some medals for all our progress at underage.
    If we are beaten tomorrow evening it will feel like one step forward two steps back. I would hope to see a good few of the player's from the Dungarvan Colleges play for the county in the near future. What has been achieved this year by these schools proves we have the talent in the county. So a win tomorrow would be a great start.

• Advertisement

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Well how do folk feel about tomorrow evening. Clare are no slouch's at this grade and have been achieving a lot more than us these past few years. That's something I cant understand considering the young talent that has come through for us you would think we should be driving on now and start showing some medals for all our progress at underage.
    If we are beaten tomorrow evening it will feel like one step forward two steps back. I would hope to see a good few of the player's from the Dungarvan Colleges play for the county in the near future. What has been achieved this year by these schools proves we have the talent in the county. So a win tomorrow would be a great start.

well the Clare teams we would have being playing in the past, is the bulk of the senior, and the U21 that they have now.they won the silverware for Clare's under age. this new crop is completely a different team.a so i guess we'll find out tomorrow night, how good they are. i would fancy our chances if we have the right players in their proper positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can't we just agree Fraher Field and Walsh Park are both sh1tholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to the lads again tonight, hopefully they'll put in a good performance and get a result. Strong team, plenty of threat in that FF line. Paddy Curran is always good for a rake of scores, Conor Gleeson impressed me when I saw him a few years ago at Tony Forristal level and by all accounts was a standout player in the Arrabawn (U-16) last summer.
    Plenty of ball winners there too in Cormac Curran, Roche and Harney.

I don't suppose WLR are doing this live or just updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

why isnt kevin daly (dungarvan) playing?? a big loss to the team....was he injured playing for cbs on sunday last?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

deiseach wrote: »
    Anywhere west of Kilmeaden is football country (apart from those lads with suspiciously Cork sounding accents) *pulls the pin*

Fixed that for you :)

Best of luck to the lads tonight, really hope they can do themselves justice. It would be a shame to see these lads finished hurling for the year.
    We are slight favourites with the bookies but I would think thats really only due to having home advantage. Clare put in a very good performance against Cork and were unlucky not to win it (hit a lot of wides I beleive) and we know how strong Clare underage teams have been over the last few years so its a big challenge for our guys. But we have some very talented guys aswell who have tasted success at Tony Forristal and colleges level. We have no reason to fear anyone and if we can get it right tonight I think we can win.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Best of luck to the lads tonight, really hope they can do themselves justice. It would be a shame to see these lads finished hurling for the year.
    We are slight favourites with the bookies but I would think thats really only due to having home advantage. Clare put in a very good performance against Cork and were unlucky not to win it (hit a lot of wides I beleive) and we know how strong Clare underage teams have been over the last few years so its a big challenge for our guys. But we have some very talented guys aswell who have tasted success at Tony Forristal and colleges level. We have no reason to fear anyone and if we can get it right tonight I think we can win.

Hear hear, best of luck to the team tonight, hopefully the rotten weather can clear up a bit.

Although the bookies (PP) have us as a bit more than slight favs. 4/7 v 13/8 for Clare. Not sure if this is such a good thing though given our general tendancy to perform better as underdogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Nope, wasnt at it, got some info from @DermotKeyes on Twitter

Wf'd Starting XV: O'Keeffe; Connors, Coughlan, Wyse; S Kearney, P Prendrgast, S Daniels; Twomey, Barrett; Shanahan, Mahoney; O'Brien, Heffernan, B O Sullivan, M O Neill

Dermot Keyes ‏@DermotKeyes

FT at Walsh Park: Waterford 1-18 Wexford 1-17. Noel Connors and Shane Kearney the Deise's best in what was a good workout for both counties.

Would i be right in saying nine of that starting team won a colleges all Ireland with De La Salle?

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Would i be right in saying nine of that starting team won a colleges all Ireland with De La Salle?

O'Keeffe; Connors, Coughlan, Wyse; S Kearney, P Prendrgast, S Daniels; Twomey, Barrett; Shanahan, Mahoney; O'Brien, Heffernan, B O Sullivan, M O Neill

The highlighted lads I can say for certain. Not sure about Barrett. I know Wyse was on the panel in 08' but wouldnt have played.

Twomey didnt go to DLS School

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

O'Keeffe; Connors, Coughlan, Wyse; S Kearney, P Prendrgast, S Daniels; Twomey, Barrett; Shanahan, Mahoney; O'Brien, Heffernan, B O Sullivan, M O Neill

The highlighted lads I can say for certain. Not sure about Barrett. I know Wyse was on the panel in 08' but wouldnt have played.

Twomey didnt go to DLS School
    Barrett was midfield in 08 lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Is anyone surprised Cain Leamy isn’t playing midfield. He played there against clare last year and did well. Also DJ Foran played in the half forwards in that same match and won alot of ball in the air with his height but both are on the bench this year.

For what its worth the team I would put out is; 1.Gavin Power, 2.William Hahessey, 3.Sam O Neill, 4.Barry Whelan, 5.Austin Gleeson, 6.Kevin Daly, 7.Tom Devine, 8.Cormac Curran, 9.Cian Leamy, 10.DJ Foran, 11.Michael Harney, 12.Shane Bennett, 13.Michael Kearney, 14.Conor Gleeson, 15.Patrick Curran. I think that would be our best 15 and players are in their best positions. What do ye think?

alllcounty wrote: »
    Is anyone surprised Cain Leamy isn’t playing midfield. He played there against clare last year and did well. Also DJ Foran played in the half forwards in that same match and won alot of ball in the air with his height but both are on the bench this year.

For what its worth the team I would put out is; 1.Gavin Power, 2.William Hahessey, 3.Sam O Neill, 4.Barry Whelan, 5.Austin Gleeson, 6.Kevin Daly, 7.Tom Devine, 8.Cormac Curran, 9.Cian Leamy, 10.DJ Foran, 11.Michael Harney, 12.Shane Bennett, 13.Michael Kearney, 14.Conor Gleeson, 15.Patrick Curran. I think that would be our best 15 and players are in their best positions. What do ye think?

It actually looks more balanced that the team thats selected tonight! My worry would be the full back line. didnt do great the last day Id think theres is a strong case for one or 2 of the Dungarvan colleges lads to come in to that line. Also a fully fit Stephen Bennett would be a shoe-in

For those who rarely venture outside of the Waterford thread on boards, here's a piece I wrote on the debate on the National Hurling league format for 2014

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/hurling-league-format/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

alllcounty wrote: »

maybe add in one of the lads from the full backline from dungarvan colleges, looks a very good team on paper though!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I was going to put in the Dungarvan colleges full back but as he is not even on the panel I decided to leave it as it was. The county has a very strong pick of players to chose from this year, if they end up losing their first two games at home after getting to the final of the tipperary tournment 2 years ago and the final of the tony forristal 4 yrs ago it will look a bit odd.

It's a wicked blustery evening out not ideal for a game of hurling. I hope our lads can adapt to the conditions especially if there is a strong wind. It would be a shame if we are beaten this evening as it will be our second game at home. I was hoping to see Steven Bennett in the starting line up, he was unlucky not to have a goal to his name last Wednesday. Clare done very well against Cork it will be interesting to see what they will be like tonight.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I was hoping to see Steven Bennett in the starting line up, he was unlucky not to have a goal to his name last Wednesday.

He will be introduced at some stage alright. It would be a good situation to be still in the game with 10 or 15 mins to go and be able to spring him off the bench. He hasn't been fit this year due to a serious injury and youd rather have him for the last 15 mins than to start him and have an injury flare up early in the game

anyone know how much it is to get in tonight ?

@ Mr Tibbs blustery isnt the word, more like gale force.
    pity really could end up ruining the game for both sides or making a land slide for one of them.

For those who rarely venture outside of the Waterford thread on boards, here's a piece I wrote on the debate on the National Hurling league format for 2014

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/hurling-league-format/

Dude, you ask for comments, but comments are closed.

There really has to be two-up two-down. The source of much of the angst in the last few years has been teams going into a playoff despite defeating the second-placed team during the regular season (so to speak). As for ten games, I'd be worried that we'd be sick of it by the end of the campaign, although that might be offset by the prospect of getting revenge for an earlier reversal. And how would you set up the lower divisions? Can't see Fingal and Warwickshire relishing the prospect of home-and-away battles!

• Advertisement

He will be introduced at some stage alright. It would be a good situation to be still in the game with 10 or 15 mins to go and be able to spring him off the bench. He hasn't been fit this year due to a serious injury and youd rather have him for the last 15 mins than to start him and have an injury flare up early in the game

For the lad himself it is a horrible injury and I hope he will make a full recovery. He is some talent though and I suppose it is being a bit selfish wanting him to play the full game. I look forward to that day. That ST Carthage's side that won the county title were a real class act. Bright days lie in store for Lismore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement