Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

we should do what kk do with football, isnt as if we are ever going to win anything so why not just pore our resources into developing hurling. plenty counties in ireland dont give a toss about hurling so why should we struggle to be a dual county to the detriment of our hurling teams, mightnt be the right thing to say but thats the reality.

Can people please ignore this message I really dont feel like reading the same old crappy arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

we should do what kk do with football, isnt as if we are ever going to win anything so why not just pore our resources into developing hurling. plenty counties in ireland dont give a toss about hurling so why should we struggle to be a dual county to the detriment of our hurling teams, mightnt be the right thing to say but thats the reality.

Quick question, how many Munster U21's have Waterford won in the last 15 years in hurling, and how many in football? Also, how many finals have we made in both?

It would be interesting to see what sort of return on investment we are getting from both codes!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I wonder what our training sessions to win ratio is in minor hurling versus in minor football this year....... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    East West divide in the smallest county in Munster is hilarious. I doubt you will hear this kind of talk in Co Kilkenny.

It's not an East-West divide in Waterford, it's a city-county one. They wouldn't know anything about that in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

deiseach wrote: »
    It's not an East-West divide in Waterford, it's a city-county one. They wouldn't know anything about that in Kilkenny.

Where does poor Tramore fit into it? I often feel quite left out. :(

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »

City. Think of when you went to Scór na nÓg and the Dunhill lads were playing their squish boxes on stage. Never felt so sophisticated :D

(NB For the hard of thinking, please note I am joking. I love you all equally. Port Láirge abú. Death to Kilkenny.)

(NBx2 I don't truly wish death to Kilkenny, statistically the land of my birth. Sheesh, this is hard!)

I think that the surfing and skateboarding of Tramore would be more akin to the city than places like Ballyduff Upper I'd say!

Where does poor Tramore fit into it?

I often wonder that myself!!!!!.

I remember the u21 Munster football winning team (hard to imagine its 10 years ago now) there were 4 Tramore lads in the side, not one of them on the Tramore team now not to mind ever going on to be established senior intercounty players. I also notice Tramore often seem to have strong representation at Tony Forristal level yet few or any are still in the reckoning by minor level.

There is obviously an issue with keeping lads interested/playing the game in the town. Maybe you might like to enlighten us yourself?

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think that the surfing and skateboarding of Tramore would be more akin to the city than places like Ballyduff Upper I'd say!

The_Big_Lebowski___Jeff_Bridges.jpg

This is me agreeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Quick question, how many Munster U21's have Waterford won in the last 15 years in hurling, and how many in football? Also, how many finals have we made in both?

It would be interesting to see what sort of return on investment we are getting from both codes!

you could substitute minor or colleges for u21 in that question youve just asked and you'd get a completely different answer...that u21 victory in 2003 was great but it was a flash in the pan, u21 is a funny grade, players who fall into that grade have a lot of other commitments, most of them are on senior or fitzgibbon panels at the time and its hard to organise and focus collective training for a group for that competition.

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    Can people please ignore this message I really dont feel like reading the same old crappy arguments

ignore it because you dont like it ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

I remember the u21 Munster football winning team (hard to imagine its 10 years ago now) there were 4 Tramore lads in the side, not one of them on the Tramore team now not to mind ever going on to be established senior intercounty players.
    There is obviously an issue with keeping lads interested/playing the game in the town.

They got schooled by a Gaulier team, with noone on the U21 county panel at the time, in an eastern final and decided to call it a day :p

an 18 yr old Gags O'Connor later got called up to the panel as a token gesture to a team who reached the county final at that grade... doubt he's complaining with a munster medal in his back pocket though

you could substitute minor or colleges for u21 in that question youve just asked and you'd get a completely different answer...that u21 victory in 2003 was great but it was a flash in the pan, u21 is a funny grade, players who fall into that grade have a lot of other commitments, most of them are on senior or fitzgibbon panels at the time and its hard to organise and focus collective training for a group for that competition.

Do you not have an answer or are you ignoring the question!?

Funny you should mention the U21 grade and other commitments. I understand that a large number of the 2003 team were underage again in 2004, but the squad and their preparations were subject to meddling by a certain J.McCarthy from Cork.

It's very hard to organise collective training for that competition when you aren't given access to your players!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I also notice Tramore often seem to have strong representation at Tony Forristal level yet few or any are still in the reckoning by minor level.

There is obviously an issue with keeping lads interested/playing the game in the town. Maybe you might like to enlighten us yourself?

I remember my principal saying that to us when we were young (and i mean between 10 -12), when one or 2 of them started leaning to soccer, trying to keep them in the game, it's a shame some 20 years later this is still the case.

I will say Tramore is a stoner's paradise, and people go a bit rudderless if they stay they too long (evidenced when i go home and see people in the same barstools 10 years later).

The main thing I can think of is most lads in tramore have their own money form a young age, getting a job down around or as a bottleboy , it's easy to get distracted when you have money to go to the pictures and go knacker drinking all the time.

them tramore lads were always soft too, never liked to mix it.

ignore it because you dont like it ha ha

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkuETvQKTQhuT6zaY_hASiV9mQav8Rte8hyELeMet1RhA9st5ifMi2Rm9T

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

deiseach wrote: »
    The_Big_Lebowski___Jeff_Bridges.jpg

This is me agreeing.
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I remember my principal saying that to us when we were young (and i mean between 10 -12), when one or 2 of them started leaning to soccer, trying to keep them in the game, it's a shame some 20 years later this is still the case.

I will say Tramore is a stoner's paradise, and people go a bit rudderless if they stay they too long (evidenced when i go home and see people in the same barstools 10 years later).

The main thing I can think of is most lads in tramore have their own money form a young age, getting a job down around or as a bottleboy , it's easy to get distracted when you have money to go to the pictures and go knacker drinking all the time.
    I wouldn't agree with that, sure the city has way more places for lads to get a job.

I think it's mainly because soccer is more popular in Tramore, not to mention other things like swimming, surfing, skateboarding....at least when I went to school anyway. Still strange though that a town of its size is not producing any players at minor/u21/senior intercounty level. Would it have anything to do with players moving to other parts of the county and thus transferring to different clubs? I think the county board should look at ways to get more out of Tramore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/ The Waterford GAA website has undergone wholesale changes. Looks very good. Think its the same person/people running the twitter and Facebook page though not sure. Great job being done all round there, and good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/ The Waterford GAA website has undergone wholesale changes. Looks very good. Think its the same person/people running the twitter and Facebook page though not sure. Great job being done all round there, and good to see.
    From what I've heard there's a lot more changes to come but they had to get it up for championship fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

solarith wrote: »
    From what I've heard there's a lot more changes to come but they had to get it up for championship fixtures

Looks like they've the right people on the case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

With respect, you are wrong on most the above. In the 2013 minor championship, there are 8 clubs. 5 of them are from the East, three of which are city clubs. Gaultier are the only undefeated team in the competition. To suggest there are no players in the city is a pretty lazy or ignorant assessment.

Your point regarding the notification of a trial (if they got it at all) is a bit odd. Fair enough, if you're from Modeligo, and only play GAA, you'll have a fair chance of nipping into Dungarvan for a trial at short notice.

If you're a Gaultier player, again chances are that you'll be very well catered for in terms of hurling and soccer, with a bit of football thrown in now and again. The soccer in particular offers a really well organised setup, with lots of games in a defined season. You simply won't get lads dropping all that to run off try and make a team that is thrown out onto a field at short notice, to play one game in which they'll probably get slaughtered and be criticised in the papers. I'd actually respect these guys intelligence by not turning up to play on a team which even our own County Board doesn't give a toss about.

And lastly, put yourself in the shoes of selectors/managers. You're given almost no time at all to pick and train a team. If you don't know a player, you don't have any time to take a risk on him. You'll stick to what you know.

If we had a proper setup, with proper management who are given proper time to pick and develop a squad, you'll see a better representation across the county. Our development squads are broken, clubs aren't sending players or mentors, and we are in crisis.

Ballinacourty & Dungarvan are also Unbeaten aswell in the Minor C/Ship this year ;) and a lot of these lads play the soccer also.. Very hard for lads to choose what to and what not to play at this age level, Football will always be the poor relation in this County, must be a nightmare trying to get Underage Panels together.. pity, as there is plenty of talent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I wouldn't agree with that, sure the city has way more places for lads to get a job.

I think it's mainly because soccer is more popular in Tramore, not to mention other things like swimming, surfing, skateboarding....at least when I went to school anyway. Still strange though that a town of its size is not producing any players at minor/u21/senior intercounty level. Would it have anything to do with players moving to other parts of the county and thus transferring to different clubs? I think the county board should look at ways to get more out of Tramore.

I grew up in Tramore, and always had handy money, i got paid crap at 14 but i worked 70 hours a week in the summer, and 20 hours in the winter ,never asked my family for lunch money or the bus money (bus cost 14 pounds a week, lunch cost about 8 pounds a week in DLS,got paid 3 pounds an hour ).

in the city you wouldnt have a sudden influx of hours for the teenagers without the tourist trade

I never asked money to buy things from my family, and drank the moneyback into pubs after my work finished, I couldnt live without money from a young age, and got distracted.

Tramore has a summer trade the city doesnt and has work just in time to suck up all the kids off school that doesnt exist in the city.

not to mention the town dies for 8 months a year (seems now up to 10) and people just lose directions

Finbar Shanley did great work in tramore back in the day god be good to him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Still strange though that a town of its size is not producing any players at minor/u21/senior intercounty level. Would it have anything to do with players moving to other parts of the county and thus transferring to different clubs? I think the county board should look at ways to get more out of Tramore.

dont think so, hurlers may leave for DLS when younger but footballers unlikely to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Waterford under 21 hurlers played Cork under 21 last night in a challenge in Youghal, good workout, the final score was 0.17 each, a drawn game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford under 21 hurlers played Cork under 21 last night in a challenge in Youghal, good workout, the final score was 0.17 each, a drawn game.

Positive to see they are getting together for challenge games and one would assume training too, different to last years fiasco

any idea what the team was?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

solarith wrote: »

Yeah hopefully they will put up more fixtures as junior and intermediate clubs in west have no idea of fixtures in both codes after 2nd week of may. Take a look at east fixtures. Most grades know when games are on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Dont know the lineout of the under 21 team, just know that daragh fives and Jake Dillon played. Colin Dunford was also playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement