Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertilizer Plant Explodes in Texas: 'Hundreds of Casualties'.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hfallada wrote: »
    What a fool to be recording the plant burning. A chemical plant like that would have extremely harsh chemicals which im sure a lot are known as cancer causing

Cus hes gonna be aware of every little detail of what chemicals the plant is using? Or of what the plant even does to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Explosion from the video in slow-motion: http://i.imgur.com/zzR57WB.gif

And Google map of the area and where the video was taken - great for perspective. http://i.imgur.com/xDi97JN.jpg

PS: All from Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Scotty # wrote: »
    1+1=3. Well done.

I hardly think its a big jump to say these are both connected. Waco is what led to the Oklahoma bombing.

If this was just a coincidence it's the most unlikely one I've ever heard. Along with Oklahoma, Waco would probably be one of the top places that would be considered a target if you are looking at a terrorist similar to Timothy McVeigh for the Boston bombings, which seems a lot more likely at the moment than an international terrorist movement.

And being the day before the 20th anniversary? I would be amazed if these aren't linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

66 years and one day since the biggest industrial accident in US history, at the port of Texas City, which was also a fertilizer explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

hfallada wrote: »
    What a fool to be recording the plant burning. A chemical plant like that would have extremely harsh chemicals which im sure a lot are known as cancer causing

I know, and such shoddy camera work as well. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

roryc wrote: »
    I would be amazed if these aren't linked.

I'd be amazed if they are. Staggering the amount of people jumping to conclusions.

I hardly think its a big jump to say these are both connected. Waco is what led to the Oklahoma bombing.

If this was just a coincidence it's the most unlikely one I've ever heard. Along with Oklahoma, Waco would probably be one of the top places that would be considered a target if you are looking at a terrorist similar to Timothy McVeigh for the Boston bombings, which seems a lot more likely at the moment than an international terrorist movement.

And being the day before the 20th anniversary? I would be amazed if these aren't linked.

Absolutely no evidence of it though apart from completely wild speculation, yes its a bit of a coincidence but nothing more and coming out with stuff like this really makes it seem all you want to be able to do is point back to this post if it does get announced they are linked so you can just go "told ya so"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If this was just a coincidence it's the most unlikely one I've ever heard.

Fire at a fertiliser factory causes explosion. That's the most inl

If this was just a coincidence it's the most unlikely one I've ever heard.

A fire at a fertiliser factory causes an explosion. That's the most unlikely thing you've heard? Seriously, start reading through this thread it's full of unlikely things.

The day before, two days before, 4 days after etc. People will try and link this as best as they can to spice the story up. What's the cut off date for it not being linked to Waco's anniversary?

Then what anniversary is it it, when Waco started? When Waco tragically ended? Was this place not 30 miles from Waco. Again what is the cut off in distance before they stopped using Waco as a point of local interest.

It's quite clearly a fire at a fertiliser factory. Firefighters were fighting the blaze at the factory before it exploded.

I'd be amazed if they are. Staggering the amount of people jumping to conclusions.

I don't think it's jumping to conclusions. If another 'incident' had happened anywhere outside a handful of places in the US I wouldn't have thought about it, but Waco is a massive coincidence. Especially seeing as the Boston suspect is being profiled along the lines of McVeigh (albeit based on little evidence - mainly the type of bomb and the fact that no group has claimed responsibility).

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing pointing to these being linked yet, but if they are it's worrying. It would point to there being more attacks to follow. I hope this was just an accident at a fertiliser plant, but the timing and location is incredible.
    A fire at a fertiliser factory causes an explosion. That's the most unlikely thing you've heard?

No. An explosion, in Waco, a few days after the Boston bombing and a single day before the 20th anniversary. Read posts in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Jonny7 wrote: »
    jesus christ, a very bad week for the US

bizarre coincidence too.. Waco siege ended almost to the day 10 years ago

this week is the anniversary week of Oklahoma bombing, Columbine massacre, Virginia Tech massacre, Waco and the Bay of Pigs invasion (Michael Moore Tweeted this today)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

this week is the anniversary week of Oklahoma bombing, Columbine massacre, Virginia Tech massacre, Waco and the Bay of Pigs invasion (Michael Moore Tweeted this today)

Yup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What angle does FoxNews take on this vis-à-vis Osama BinLaden ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Alias G wrote: »
    I know, and such shoddy camera work as well. :rolleyes:
    Can we please stop with the sarcastic comments at least till we find out what caused this tragedy.

Many people including a lot of firemen and emergency responders have lost their lives and a town has been destroyed. With the recent boston bombing too lots of people will be affected by all this.

Surely a bit of respect for those is not too much to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Look at the video, slow it down at 0.28. Now is that not something HITTING the plant or just part of the explosion :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

And according to my fact-a-day calendar:

This day in 1480 Lucrezia Borgia, infamous Florentine ruler & Daughter of Pope Alexander VI was born.

Coincidence? - I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:
    Posts about this incident moved from Boston thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

tbayers wrote: »
    Look at the video, slow it down at 0.28. Now is that not something HITTING the plant or just part of the explosion :O

there is some speculation that the heat form the original fire may have triggered an explosion in a nearby silo containing grain or other materials. That is why the centre of the explosion is not in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

AlanG wrote: »
    there is some speculation that the heat form the original fire may have triggered an explosion in a nearby silo containing grain or other materials. That is why the centre of the explosion is not in the fire.

Ah i see, that explains it ok. This coincidence stuff is mad!

No. An explosion, in Waco, a few days after the Boston bombing and a single day before the 20th anniversary. Read posts in more detail.

There was a fire at a fertiliser factory. The chemicals at the plant exploded. Look what the IRA did to Manchester wih using fertiliser as the main component of a bomb. That not suggesting there was any foul play here, I'm just saying that stuff is explosive, so any conspiracy theories even at this early stage are over the top.

The reports are suggesting that Firefighters were at the scene fighting a fire and the fire must have spread to the chemicals causing the explosion. There's no connection to any other place or any other events. A tragic accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

There was a fire at a fertiliser factory. The chemicals at the plant exploded. Look what the IRA did to Manchester wih using fertiliser as the main component of a bomb. That not suggesting there was any foul play here, I'm just saying that stuff is explosive, so any conspiracy theories even at this early stage are over the top.

The reports are suggesting that Firefighters were at the scene fighting a fire and the fire must have spread to the chemicals causing the explosion. There's no connection to any other place or any other events. A tragic accident.

It's hardly a conspiracy theory when it hasn't been established as an accident? You're just as bad assuming it's an accident the way you're talking to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

OMG!! Would you listen to yourself!! It's an industrial accident that started as a small fire that happened to spread to some hazardous material. It's a tragic ACCIDENT - nothing more. Happens every day of the week (fortunately not to this scale).

Some tornado warnings now, suppose that'll be the work of terrorists too? or more far fetched - God maybe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

The conspiracy nutters are gonna have a field day with this one!:o

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's hardly a conspiracy theory when it hasn't been established as an accident? You're just as bad assuming it's an accident the way you're talking to him.

You're absolutely right. Me stating that a fire that was being fought before the explosion at a highly flammable factory is an accident, is the exact same as someone who is linking in unrelated dates or locations to try and further an idea that only exists in their own head.

SantryRed wrote: »

LOL what? Assuming a fire in an industrial plant is an accident is the same as assuming its a terrorist conspiracy linking 2 seemingly completely unrelated events?

Scotty # wrote: »
    OMG!! Would you listen to yourself!! It's an industrial accident that started as a small fire that happened to spread to some hazardous material. It's a tragic ACCIDENT - nothing more. Happens every day of the week (fortunately not to this scale).

Some tornado warnings now, suppose that'll be the work of terrorists too? or more far fetched - God maybe???

I should have stopped reading when I saw OMG. Unfortunately I read on. Some of you lads would do well in the FBI.

"A plane's just hit the Twin Towers!"
    "LOL. Accident"

"Another one has just hit the other tower"
    "OMG. Obviously another accident. Happens every day of the week"

I'll put my tinfoil hat on and go back to reading my conspiracy theories.

I'm hoping this is just an accident and horrible coincidence. I would guess they'll know fairly soon either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL what? Assuming a fire in an industrial plant is an accident is the same as assuming its a terrorist conspiracy linking 2 seemingly completely unrelated events?

WACO! WACO!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Can I just say that this wasn't in Waco. Can people just stop and absorb that? It was in the town of West. Stop trying to connect them sensationally!!

It's like a bomb going off in Liverpool and calling it an explosion in Manchester.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Can I just say that this wasn't in Waco. Can people just stop and absorb that? It was in the town of West. Stop trying to connect them sensationally!!

It's like a bomb going off in Liverpool and calling it an explosion in Manchester.

Really? If it wasn't in Waco then this is almost certainly an accident **takes off tinfoil hat**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

The real story is probably going to become how can there be a large quantity of explosive material close to appartments, nursing homes and schools.

The ariel photos show just how close it was.

Advertisement