Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertilizer Plant Explodes in Texas: 'Hundreds of Casualties'.

Options
  • 18-04-2013 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭

BREAKING: Massive explosion at a Waco TX, fertilizer plant reports of it being felt 65 miles away

http://i.imgur.com/Gseq66r.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Yurt wrote: »
    BREAKING: Massive explosion at a Waco TX, fertilizer plant reports of it being felt 65 miles away

http://i.imgur.com/Gseq66r.jpg

Christ. Anywhere else on any other week and i'd chalk that down to an industrial accident.

The day before the 20th anniversary of the end of the Waco siege......couple that to the Boston bombing....

Hmm interestingly nothing so far on Sky News, CNN, Fox, anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

very odd, not a word of it in the mainstream US media yet

Supposedly there was a fire on the premises that fire services were tending to and then a huge explosion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

WTF?!?!?
    A plant in waco went up 1 day before the 20th anniversary?!?!?!

Bit of a coincidence isnt it. Knowing what the whole waco seige was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

WTF?!?!?

I've never heard about that, what happened?

• Advertisement

WTF?!?!?

going by one of the articles above, the explosion was felt up to 100km away, they presumed it was an earthquake

maybe its a case that the fire caused some of the materials in the factory to blast, very suspicious though given the date and location

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Waco? Jesus Christ.

My immediate thought is that it's just a horrible coincidence but the timing is unbelievable.

It was a siege that took place in Waco at a property belonging to a cult, the Branch Davidians. It lasted well over a month and ended in a huge fire which killed most of the cult members. Who exactly started the fire has remained a huge issue for years, with some saying that the American government overreacted and pretty much caused the deaths of all those people.

I believe it was one of the main gripes of the Unabomber.

It's kind of a symbol of the worst side of the american government to those who would identify as anti-government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here is the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

But basically, in 1993 there was a cult in waco, texas. Lead by a man named "David Korash" and he and his cult were "tooling up" with weapons in the eyes of law enforcement. Eventually law enforcement raided the compound. screwed up and it lasted for weeks. The compound eventually burned down April 19th 1993 with many cult members loosing their lives. It's believed members of the cult started the fire themselves (but who knows) Now thats my memory take on the events. Anyone else can correct me :)

But the key issue here is guns - There was naturally a number of americans who were outraged over the incident. You know the type, gun nuts, feeling that its the god given right to own weapons. Also others hate how the govenment handled the siege.

As it currently stands no one really knows who carried out the boston bombings but it's currently believed to be american radicalists. So you can see the timely coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Thanks guys!! I don't quite know what to say , the wind here is the most of my problems right now :(

So many families in despair. Heartbreaking.

This has to be a coincidence, even with the significance of the date and location. I mean, unless there is an organised group of right-wing extremists around the country waiting to carry out attacks, the guys in Boston couldn't realistically have done this and it's just a tragic and freakishly timed accident.

From what I'm seeing on Reddit, it seems very serious and unfortunately a lot of firefighters are in difficulty at the scene.
    It's looking like firefighters were already on scene fighting a fire when it blew up. I live close by and that's what I've been hearing.
    Reddit user: AgTown05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

My mom always said bad things happen in 3s. Of course, any three things could be highlighted, but with Boston, this explosion in West, and I am reading notes from home talking about the tornado warnings around several states.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20130417-breaking-news-explosion-injuries-reported-at-fertilizer-plant-in-west-texas.ece

An unfortunate accident more likely, as it says in this report a mixture of fire and ammonia nitrate is pretty devastating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

http://www.kwkt.com/news/caught-camera-fertilizer-plant-explosion-near-waco

6 dead so far apparently - 5 firefighters and a police officer

*Sky say 70 +

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Looks like it'll have been something that you see on programmes like "Destroyed in Seconds".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭MrPoker

Xavi6 wrote: »

That is insane!! I hope America is not under some kind of co-ordinated attack from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

'Several trapped and injured' after explosion at Texas fertilizer plant.

Local media outlets reported that the blast took place at 8pm local time (0100 GMT) in West, a town of 2,700 people 20 miles north of Waco, while firefighters were trying to bring a blaze at the plant under control.

A spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, D.L. Wilson, said the blast had resulted in "probably hundreds of casualties".

telegraph.co.uk

Sky News reporting 60 to 70 dead (unconfirmed).

It's been a bad week for the US.

Video, ****in mental explosion.

• Advertisement

That's waaaay too close looking at the mushroom cloud picture that CNN showed from some facebook account.

Looks similar to this ammonium perchlorate one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

That's one hell of an explosion. It'll probably show up on richter scales many miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

MrPoker wrote: »
    That is insane!! I hope America is not under some kind of co-ordinated attack from within.

The thought crossed my mind as well but the explosion happened in the town of West, approx 20 mins from Waco. I'm fairly sure it's an unrelated event, an industrial accident. The footage on sky is crazy, looks like an apartment block was leveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Jesus Christ. The USA have been hit hard this week.

RIP to those who passed away. Praying for those who are injured.

What next? So many unnecessary deaths this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Bit of a coincidence that its so near Waco, I hope it is an accident

Anyone in the plant who didn't get out or trying to attend the original fire has no chance with that explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Video, ****in mental explosion.

**** me! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I really want this to be an accidental coincidence but...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I really want this to be an accidental coincidence but...

Yeah it's a bit too similar to the season finale of Dallas alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That's a huge explosion.

Advertisement