Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertilizer Plant Explodes in Texas: 'Hundreds of Casualties'.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I reckon it's just an accident and that's all it is until proven otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

Most likely an industrial accident and not some Waco-inspired revenge attack. The explosion happened in the town of West, approx 15-20 mins from Waco. The footage on sky shows what looks like an apartment complex leveled, all that can be hoped for is the death toll is as minimal as possible. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I really want this to be an accidental coincidence but...

:confused:

I can only assume (and hope) that protocol for a fire there is for everyone to get as far away as possible as quickly as possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Reports of 60 people dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Reports of 60 people dead.

They believe about 60 injured at hospitals. Three dead as of now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They believe about 60 injured at hospitals. Three dead as of now.

Thus far yeah.

"Fire officials fear that the number of casualties could rise as high as 60 to 70 dead, said Dr. George Smith, the emergency management system director of the city.

"That's a really rough number, I'm getting that figure from firefighters, we don't know yet," he said."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Yeah, especially after listening to that press conference. It's going to be a high number. Awful stuff. The blast was felt up to 50 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    :confused:

It's near Waco where a siege took place, the anniversary of which is tomorrow.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

Also tomorrow is the anniversary of the Oaklahoma City bombing.

All the above in conjunction with what happened in Boston MIGHT suggest that Boston and this explosion tonight might have been in commemoration of previous terror episodes.

Unlikely though as Waco was more a cult/religious thing led by a man called David Koresh who tried to make out that he was the Messiah, when in actual fact he was just a very naughty boy.

It was a fire that got out of control.

At worst it's arson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

It was a fire that got out of control.

At worst it's arson.

Not claiming it to be the case but arson in a fertilizer plant could potentially be worse than any man made bomb

arson in a fertilizer plant could potentially be worse than any man made bomb

It would be a convoluted method of attack but point taken.

If anyone died and the fire was started on purpose then it's murder. Similar to how if you start a bush fire by accident it doesn't count as a defence. Most people know vaguely that fertilizer is dangerous like that, anyone living near it will definitely know and if someone's a firebug then I'd be pretty sure they also know a thing or two about explosives.

Anyway that's all by-the-by until things get cleared up. I still get surprised by the sheer size of the explosion in that video though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Christ. Anywhere else on any other week and i'd chalk that down to an industrial accident.

The day before the 20th anniversary of the end of the Waco siege......couple that to the Boston bombing...
    1+1=3. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Absolute raw emotion in the caught on camera video. I wonder has recording an event like this become some sort of coping mechanism?

I must admit, while it probably is an industrial accident, what absolutely horrible timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

That's one hell of an explosion. It'll probably show up on richter scales many miles away.

2.1 on the richter scale.

I know its odd saying it but it could have been so much worse. There was a school around 400m away from the plant.

sadly though perhaps most of the families that have children there are probably living not much further away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jesus I was not expecting that in the video.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Holy crap, was just on the news there. That was a huge explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Terrible week for America. Hopefully this is just a tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Terrible scenes. As already said, most likely a grim coincidence re Waco 1993. There was a fire before the main explosion, so I wonder what caused that initial blaze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When you think what one tonne of fertiliser did to the Baltic Exchange, you shudder to think what the hundreds of tonnes in a factory would do.

Scary stuff, thoughts and prayers to those affected.

That's an insane explosion, my thoughts are with the deceased & injured..

I really hope it is just an unfortunate accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Xavi6 wrote: »

Holy f**k the screen just fills with fire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

jesus christ, a very bad week for the US

bizarre coincidence too.. Waco siege ended almost to the day 10 years ago

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

smash wrote: »
    Jesus I was not expecting that in the video.

Same. Actually jumped when it went off. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Was feeding my 15 month old and watching the news and when the explosion happened she got a hell of a fright and started bawling. Imagine being anywhere near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What a fool to be recording the plant burning. A chemical plant like that would have extremely harsh chemicals which im sure a lot are known as cancer causing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Holy fu*k,Sky reporting tornado's could be next to hit the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Wow, watching the video I thought it was a video of the factory having already exploded. Got such a shock when it actually did explode. :eek: So sad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Terrible stuff. This is going to be a very hard one for the emergency services to deal with.

Advertisement