Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: War Of The Damned [Starz - US] **Spoilers!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

;)

what do you m...oh! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I was pretty bummed out for the weekend after it ended. Great finale.
    And the last scene (that is not my name), I honestly don't think Andy could have pulled that scene off as well as Liam did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nobody mentioned that great scene where Crassus is knocked of his horse and 5 or 6 of his men retreat with him up the hill then you just see Spartacus covered in blood tearing up after them, one of the best scenes in the episode I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

derfderf wrote: »
    I was pretty bummed out for the weekend after it ended. Great finale.
    And the last scene (that is not my name), I honestly don't think Andy could have pulled that scene off as well as Liam did.

While I have a hard time picturing Andy's spartacus giving the sort of rousing speeches Liam did throughout his run in the role(mainly because bar the finale kill them all he didn't deliver any) I have no problem seeing Andy pulling off a death scene that good.

Rewatching it last night I caught a poignant moment I had somehow conspired to miss first time round where prior to Gannicus arriving on his tent Spartacus spys a map of thrace amongst the pile on his table , as he traces his hand over it you can feel both his yearning for it and resignation that he will never see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Pretty satisfying way for it to end with one exception.

Gannicus (The best character in the whole show imho) deserved to go out in the blaze of a glorious death. I was hoping for something akin to Sean Bean's Boromir in the Fellowship of the Rings. He should have taken many Romans with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know you guys are a bit ahead in that you have already seen the finale but judging by the comments here I'm looking forward to watching it tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Goldstein wrote: »

Gannicus (The best character in the whole show imho) deserved to go out in the blaze of a glorious death. I was hoping for something akin to Sean Bean's Boromir in the Fellowship of the Rings. He should have taken many Romans with him.

I don't know, he takes up the rank of co-leader of the rebellion, finds love, gives up the demon drink, gets the upper hand over Caesar (kindof), goes to the aid of his ex, it takes almost a whole legion to take him down, then he gets to see him friend as well as return to where he was happiest, great fitting ending for him. I'd love to see a spin-off of what happened to him when he won his freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Goldstein wrote: »

I felt the same initially but the more i thought about it it would have been a kinda obvious and cliche route to go down. I'm glad they went down the route they did where the cold regimented efficiency of the Romans grinds him down with nobody breaking their shield wall ranks to take him on he is slowly encircled leaving him a dangerous ,tho clearly flagging, caged animal .

With Spartacus Gannicus and Crixus they had a bit of a dilemma in how best to kill these characters whose skills with a sword would see them as overwhelming favorites in any engagement, with Spartacus and Crixus they went down the spear through the back route after they had both bested their opponent ,personally I'm glad Gannicus was spared a similar fate .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

with Spartacus and Crixus they went down the spear through the back route

I took it that Spartacus was ground down by multiple attacks that weakened him, he took hits off a few soldiers and then had an epic battle with his direct opponent, he was so weakened then he couldn't notice another attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Rewatching it last night I caught a poignant moment I had somehow conspired to miss first time round where prior to Gannicus arriving on his tent Spartacus spys a map of thrace amongst the pile on his table , as he traces his hand over it you can feel both his yearning for it and resignation that he will never see it again.
    Also, a snippet of the Blood & Sand soundtrack plays right at that moment - the music we would associate with Thrace/Sura.

Elsewhere, thought it was a bit odd that Spartacus accepted Crassus' wrist handshake - as I thought that would be reserved only for his brother gladiators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Vokes wrote: »
    Elsewhere, thought it was a bit odd that Spartacus accepted Crassus' wrist handshake - as I thought that would be reserved only for his brother gladiators.

It would be strange if Crixus accepted it, not as strange with Spartacus. He was never as into the whole "only my brothers with the mark" as the rest. Remember when he was champion and told Crixus to let the new recruits eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Touch of Braveheart in the last episode.
    Serious load of people killed in the whole show, all in all.

I thought historically they never found Spartacus body and there was a chance he might have survived but they didn't go down that route in the series.

Was sorry to see Gannicus end up like he did but I guess they had to stick to the facts.

I even grew to like Naevia in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Andy Whitfied in The Clinic....might watch the movie just for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone think that if there had not been so many sex scenes would it have be more mainstream?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone think that if there had not been so many sex scenes would it have be more mainstream?

Wasn't as much in this series compared to the rest IMO
    Too many speeches though

RTE missed the boat on this one, would have been a ratings winner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,852 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

at 2 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

In the form of calls to Liveline maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

dave1982 wrote: »

It wouldn't have been the same show then. I think that they weren't afraid to show graphic or gorey scenes. Hell its a show about Gladiators in Roman Times - gorey violence and sordid sex were part of life then. And very much something that came across to me from the show was - these people had brutal brutal lives and live was cheap - is it any wonder that when they had the chance they drank and f**ked like rockstars ? It made the characters more human. If they had all just sat around and been miserable all the time waiting to get killed it would not have lasted a season.

The people who wrote off the show because of the sex. Wow. Sad. Their loss. If you watched more than two or three episodes it was the story that brought you back not the sex. Sex is part of life even if some people don't like that. Hell I stopped noticing the sex after a while (well.....almost)

Simply astonishing television.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Great end to the series. Hard to believe there'll be no more new Spartacus episodes. :( I've stayed away from this thread for a while as I was only watching on Sky, so a few comments on the last few episodes and the series in general ...

I liked the balance they had between killing off characters as history would have demanded, and keeping characters alive so some get their happy ending.

Gannicus being "reunited with" Oenomaus at the end was a nice tough. Even better would have been if Mellita could have been there too (or maybe it would have been too cheesy?) I also thought it strange that during Crixus' funeral when everybody was calling out names of their missed friends that Gannicus didn't mention one or both of them. Actually I don't even know who the person he mentioned actually was.

I never really got the hatred for Naevia since Vengence. She wasn't a favourite character, but she wasn't as annoying to me as she seems to have been to many others. In fact I thought the new actress did well as an action woman. I couldn't really imagine the previous actress being so physical (though neither could I imagine the new actress being a demure body slave). All in all, I liked her arc and she died well.

I liked Caesar and Crassus but I hope they don't start a spin-off with them. Let the series be as it is.

The credits, as others have said, were great. Lovely nod to Andy too. sniff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

quickbeam wrote: »
    Gannicus being "reunited with" Oenomaus at the end was a nice tough. Even better would have been if Mellita could have been there too (or maybe it would have been too cheesy?) I also thought it strange that during Crixus' funeral when everybody was calling out names of their missed friends that Gannicus didn't mention one or both of them. Actually I don't even know who the person he mentioned actually was.
    Watch it again, he said: "For Oenomaus." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On a side note Giannicus was a celt
    Can we claim his as ours
    Instead of st paddy

Gatling wrote: »
    On a side Giannicus was a celt
    Can we claim his as ours
    Instead of st paddy

Is that a poem?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

On a side note Giannicus was a celt
    Can we claim his as ours
    Instead of st paddy
    By jupiters cock
    St. Gannicus day
    I like it and we don't have to change much but drink even more
    It's what he would've wanted :)
    And we can always claim he got rid of the snakes aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

St Giannicus Day

I like

St Giannicus Day

I like

Anthem for the day:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I'm liking the new national anthem haha. Loved the finale i liked how spartacus and Crassus shook hands before the battle worthy adversaries and all that. The end credit were brilliant i noticed at the start of them someone one the FX team died but i was surprised not to see Andy's name there aswell.

Spartacus you will be missed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I belive there is a Dubstep remix of this :)

• Advertisement

I belive there is a Dubstep remix of this :)

Lol.......found it:

http://hypem.com/artist/Spartacus,+Crixus,+Oenomaus+&+Ashur

Advertisement