Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spartacus: War Of The Damned [Starz - US] **Spoilers!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I loved it, I thought they got nearly everything perfect and some very touching parts I though, especially with Gannicus. It is definitely a series that I will be re-watching.

Spartacus, I will miss you dear friend.

They're relationship was a bit thinly sketched but I loved Gannicus line to sybll " you once told me i was sent by the fates to save you, you are wrong you were sent to save me" and the Crucifixion as hard as it was to watch hit the perfect note with him seeing Oenameous again and hearing the roar of the crowd.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    I have to say this was the best show on tv for me this season was amazing from start to finish, and i think Liam really nailed the role and that was the best finale to a show i ever seen really well done. The only down side is i now feel clinically depressed and traumatized by the ending :(

Also i loved what they did with the end credits.

Between Southland this week and this I don't think I've ever been this traumatized by tv shows . Best finale of any show I can remember .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

That acting from Liam was superb in Spartacus' final moments....in fact, i thought i was watching Andy such was the power of it all. I could totally see Andy delivering those final moments, those facial expressions had he lived.

Liam was Andy in those closing scenes, RIP Andy....never forgottem, Spartacus Forever!

Just to add, i've never owned/bought a tv box set before....but i am 100% buying the box set of all 4 series on Blu-Ray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Great finale to a great show, they really pulled it off whilst staying mostly true to what happened historically. Fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They definitely seemed to be laying the groundwork for a Caesar spinoff in those last few scenes with Caesar and Crassus but I think I'd kinda struggle to get behind a Character who crucified Gannicus . As I said previously we've already seen the Caesar show it was called Rome .

A show about Hannibal could be every bit as epic as spartacus and reuse nearly all the shows assets , how his story has not made it onto the screen already I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Loved all of it! Yes, even Lugo's hilariously dodgy CGI fire death :)

Gannicus on the cross with Oenameus nearby and the roar of the arena ...perfect

Spartacus vs Crassus with the images of Sura & Varro... :(

'Do not shed tear, for there is no greater victory than to fall from this world a free man' - epic

The end credits with Andy Whitfield. Bittersweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What an epic series finale.Some great quotes
    "Spartacus. That is not my name. I shall finally hear it again. Given voice by loving wife in greeting longed for."

One day Rome shall fade and crumble. Yet you shall always be remembered in the hearts of all who yearn for freedom

Rovi wrote: »
    The end credits is WELL worth watching!

Epic montage off all the characters from the entire series + final tribute to Andy Whitfield :(

Vashti and his two little kiddies :( ....i hope they grow up knowing daddy WAS Spartacus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What an epic series finale.Some great quotes
    "Spartacus. That is not my name. I shall finally hear it again. Given voice by loving wife in greeting longed for."

One day Rome shall fade and crumble. Yet you shall always be remembered in the hearts of all who yearn for freedom

Yeah I had forgotten that Spartacus wasn't his given name. Glad that Saxa and Gannicus got one last moment together, what a great secondary character she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,854 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great finale!

I did wonder how they would do the "I'm Spartacus" bit since Crassus knew him, so nice way around it.

And to think I gave up on the show after watching the first episode when it aired in the States but gave it a second go when it aired over here.

Would like to see the end montage without the credits

Gonna miss this show a lot. Great ending to a series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Spartacus" you give honour to me for delivering a series worthy of the gods themselves. I will long cherish the sight of blood spilt on sand and the many sounds of yells from throats as swords plunged in foe. Even time itself would oft slow to give us leave to see butchery visited upon screen in gratuitous violence.
    Nor would you treat us to solely sword on flesh but also passion in flesh - many were the scenes given unto bared breast and unsheathed sword plunged between willing legs.

Yet amidst this all you gave us characters worth believing in, their dreams ones we would share themselves: Fight for freedom. Never more was this cause evident than in this finale as Liam gave voice to his finest performance when he rallied hope in companions before engaging in the last battle with Roman foe. A magnificent battle was shown - excitement and fury, vengeance and cunning. My heart bet furious for the tension it elicit within me.

You could not give us always true happiness though for such endings were not the fate of these heroes. But you bore great tribute to them in this final hour: Craixus lay eyes upon honoured teacher as life left him; Naevia died alone on the field, her heart gone weeks past; Lugo in literal blaze of glory. And Spartacus bringing memory of past to lips upon recollection of love for a wife taken cruelly from him. Let Agron's words know truth of matter: Rome has fallen but legend lives on.

To thee Agron, Ashur, Batiatus, Caesar, Craixus, Crasuses, Doctore, Gannicus, Lucretia, Nazir, and above all Spartacus: I shall miss your presence that you visited upon person for four years in living room. I raise cup to thee and ask you all to join me and give gratitude to show so finely delivered to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

"Spartacus, thats not even my name"

wipes away man tear :(

a brilliant finale to a brilliant series, i must say from the first episode i honestly didnt think i would have loved this show as much as did throughout it run, and with Andy Whitfield dying after 1 season, they could have easily said they couldn't continue, but they did and the series is a testament to Andys own fight right to the end,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ixoy wrote: »
    "Spartacus" you give honour to me for delivering a series worthy of the gods themselves. I will long cherish the sight of blood spilt on sand and the many sounds of yells from throats as swords plunged in foe. Even time itself would oft slow to give us leave to see butchery visited upon screen in gratuitous violence.
    Nor would you treat us to solely sword on flesh but also passion in flesh - many were the scenes given unto bared breast and unsheathed sword plunged between willing legs.

Yet amidst this all you gave us characters worth believing in, their dreams ones we would share themselves: Fight for freedom. Never more was this cause evident than in this finale as Liam gave voice to his finest performance when he rallied hope in companions before engaging in the last battle with Roman foe. A magnificent battle was shown - excitement and fury, vengeance and cunning. My heart bet furious for the tension it elicit within me.

You could not give us always true happiness though for such endings were not the fate of these heroes. But you bore great tribute to them in this final hour: Craixus lay eyes upon honoured teacher as life left him; Naevia died alone on the field, her heart gone weeks past; Lugo in literal blaze of glory. And Spartacus bringing memory of past to lips upon recollection of love for a wife taken cruelly from him. Let Agron's words know truth of matter: Rome has fallen but legend lives on.

To thee Agron, Ashur, Batiatus, Caesar, Craixus, Crasuses, Doctore, Gannicus, Lucretia, Nazir, and above all Spartacus: I shall miss your presence that you visited upon person for four years in living room. I raise cup to thee and ask you all to join me and give gratitude to show so finely delivered to us all!

By Jupiter's Cock, that's a great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Some great scenes tonight I loved Crassus and Spartacus where they shook hands before final battle.

Liam finally nailed his role in this episode I thought I was watching Andy at the fight scene with Crassus up until then I hated them referencing the 1st series imo thats Andys and only him should have it his wife varo dying.

They held true to the legend Spartacus's body was never found.

I thought he was going to ask Agron to finish him.

It's said Gannicus and Castus were not there when Spartacus fought Crassus they were later defeated by Crassus, Pomptinus and Quintus Marcius Rufus

"What a glorious day it is to have so many Romans to kill"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Great last episode, they gave the characters a good end considering.

They did seem to set it up for the story to be continued, the scene with Pompey was in many ways irrelevant to the end of the show but a part of upcoming events. What Caesar achieves over the next few decades changes the Roman empire and the faith of most people living in Europe at the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great great episode, even Mrs. Clareman watched it (I can't wait to watch it again without being asked "who's he?", "What did he do?"). Braveheart meets Gladiator, great battle, great individual fights, great end for all the characters, going to enjoy starting the show again from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The battle was great and Spartacus an his tactics surprised the sh1t out of the Romans and made me shout a little at the Romans kind of a take that ya w4nkers
    Although I hated naevia she died better than the other and looks like she was given the same death that Varro did
    Lugo was great character an went out with honour an still showed his hatred for the Romans with his last breath but IMO had the worst way to die
    Gannicus didn't deserve the way he went even though we don't see him die ( well I didn't) and some may agree that he should've been given a glorious death and due by the sword in battle
    Spartacus had Crassus in his hands but I knew he wouldn't be able to kill him an that something would pop up
    Bit emotional at the end when he passes but even more so were the credits if anyone watched them
    Shows the whole lot from blood an sand right to wotd and tribute to Andy was great
    All in all best show I've watched by far Nd will be buying box set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

great show, it will be sorely missed :( hope they carry it on, with either caeser or someone else, although i dont think they could get anyone as interesting as spartacus (maybe Hannibal as someone else said but he was before spartacus's time as far as i know)

what the hell will i watch now for feck sake, i suppose theres GoT, is that da vinci show any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

We who are going to miss you, salute you!

now remove cock from arse and put boxset to purpose!

Gannicus didn't deserve the way he went even though we don't see him die ( well I didn't) and some may agree that he should've been given a glorious death and due by the sword in battle
    Spartacus had Crassus in his hands but I knew he wouldn't be able to kill him an that something would pop up
    I'm glad they stayed true to what happened, in that the rebels lose out in the end. It would have been a terrible sell out to give any of them a happy ending, it just wasn't how things were back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

great show, it will be sorely missed :(hope they carry it on, with either caeser or someone else, although i dont think they could get anyone as interesting as spartacus (maybe Hannibal as someone else said but he was before spartacus's time as far as i know)

what the hell will i watch now for feck sake, i suppose there's GoT, is that da vinci show any good?
    I cant see them carry it on. Main character is dead and the very successful series "Rome" kind of picks up the story of Ceaser and Pompey later.

'Rome' is a great show by the way and has an an even better IMDB rating than Spartacus . If ya have not seen it yet and still need a slightly similar fix, its well worth the download or box set. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384766/?ref_=sr_1

This also looks quite good . I have not seen it yet. Im going to give it a go.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

EDIT. Just watched the 1st episode of the Vikings and it has great potential. Blood guts sex and violence. Maybe not as much as the arena though.violence.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

brokenarms wrote: »
    I cant see them carry it on. Main character is dead and the very successful series "Rome" kind of picks up the story of Ceaser and Pompey later.

'Rome' is a great show by the way and has an an even better IMDB rating than Spartacus . If ya have not seen it yet and still need a slightly similar fix, its well worth the download or box set. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384766/?ref_=sr_1

This also looks quite good . I have not seen it yet. Im going to give it a go.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Watch Banshee. First season is 10 episodes and it's been renewed for a second, so might be on for a while. Similar to Spartacus in regards violence and sex, although the show isn't as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Good finale, thought they handled the characters deaths pretty well. Credits with Andy at the end I thought was a really cool note to end on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Actually there was one thing that annoyed me about the finale, it was the way the crucified Gannicus, they crucified him the correct way through the wrist, however Agron was crucified through the palms. Really annoyed me how they did that just to fit it into the story of him not being able to hold a sword, which was a bit pants anyway i doubt he'd have been able to hold a sword after having nails through his wrists.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Actually there was one thing that annoyed me about the finale, it was the way the crucified Gannicus, they crucified him the correct way through the wrist, however Agron was crucified through the palms. Really annoyed me how they did that just to fit it into the story of him not being able to hold a sword, which was a bit pants anyway i doubt he'd have been able to hold a sword after having nails through his wrists.

That actually made me think also. I would have liked to see him die in battle as he seemed to be the most deserving.

I ended up googling it last night. The problem with Crucifixion apart from being one of the horrible ways to die, is that all who where nailed up, rotted away in the elements leaving no evidence for us to dig up. Research showed that nailing through the hands in the correct place will hold the weight of the customer involved. Jesus was always shown as being nailed in the palm.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

Have a read.

The Romans where the scum of this earth ,
    Apart from the small things they brought to us now.

The Calendar

The Calendar with 365 days, the names of the Months and Leap Years.

Towns

Towns, including London, York and Bath, and any with 'chester' or 'cester' in it's name.

Roads

Straight roads, with drainage, allowing travel from place to place much more easily.

Building materials

Cement, Bricks, Glass
    Plumbing

The Romans liked to be clean and have baths, so they needed to get water into their bath houses. They built aqueducts and channels, and also used lead to make pipes. In fact the word "Plumber" comes from the Roman word for Lead - Plumbum.
    As well as having shared bath houses to have a wash, the Romans also had shared toilets with sewers to wash everthing away. This helped keep the towns and streets clean, and avoided disease spreading. Compare that to the Middle Ages, when they dumped everthing in the streets!

Archaeology

The remains of Roman building can be found all over the country. You can find Tiles and Pottery, and even Roman coins if you are lucky. There are larger remains too, such as Hadrians Wall, as well as the Roman Baths at Bath, and Lullingstone Roman Villa.
    Rabbits

Rabbits may have been found in Britain before Roman times, but Romans certainly brought rabbits with them when they came to Britain, not as cuddly pets, but for their dinner! In fact the spread of rabbits over Europe seems to match the spread of the Roman Empire. Obviously dinner hopped away sometimes!

Other food

Apples, Pears, Turnips, Carrots, Grapes
    I]

I think I remember hearing in the past that there were a number of ways to crucify and what we saw in Spartacus wouldn't be the most common way either. If they were tied by rope, the nail through the hand is only to cause pain as the rope is doing the support work.

The only evidence left of crucification is an ankle bone with a nail through it, but it seems they didn't always nail the ankle either. Some crucifictions were more basic than others depending on where they were and what resources they had available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There was a documentary on cruxification on some channel recently, the new thoughts are that the arms are put around the cross to support the body and that the nails would more than likely be through the wrists as if you were to nail through the hands the hands would be likely to come out with the strain. It really was a terrible was to be killed, it could take days.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    now remove cock from arse and put boxset to purpose!

;)

Advertisement