Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Tough on Ferris but in fairness its the correct decision from the IRFU. We cant affoard to tie up too much money in a guy with such a poor history of repeat injuries.
    Shame we will proabably never see him fully deliver on the potential he showed....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Supposedly its a one year deal he is looking at over there so he could be back for the RWC in 2015

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/japan-bound-ferris-set-to-leave-ulster-1.1324280

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fooker wrote: »
    I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

Ferris's injuries are more likely to have played a part than any possible move away from Ireland on Ferris's part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Supposedly its a one year deal he is looking at over there so he could be back for the RWC in 2015

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/japan-bound-ferris-set-to-leave-ulster-1.1324280

Would that be with a view to coming back to Ulster I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

5s7Hfu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Fooker wrote: »
    I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

dont make me laugh, Ferris on form even with his bollixed legs is still twice the player O'Mahony is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A year in Japan would be perfect for Ferris. He gets to fully recover from surgery, get a full preseason in, play at a lower level and then build himself back towards recovery.

There are a bunch of Genia-esque physiques down there. He'll love it.

Then he can come back to Ulster and get another full preseason in for 14/15 which will give him a full season before RWC 2015 to put himself.

Good man Fez. Lend me some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

dont make me laugh, Ferris on form even with his bollixed legs is still twice the player O'Mahony is.

Nice potshot at POM there.

There's not many 6's in the world who are close to Ferris when fit but for all his class, he's not much worth when he can't play due to injury

Spell in Japan might give him a chance to get a consistent run of games so he could come back and have one more season at home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Poor Japan....just when they thought they were safe from earthquakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I don't get the Ferris love in to be honest. The guy is made of glass. He is potentially a great talent but far too injury prone to ever be able to fulfill his potential. Let him off to Japan. Ulster have not missed him this year-Henderson is better player.

• Advertisement

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I don't get the Ferris love in to be honest. The guy is made of glass. He is potentially a great talent but far too injury prone to ever be able to fulfill his potential. Let him off to Japan. Ulster have not missed him this year-Henderson is better player.

:eek: Did you see him against australia in the World Cup. I agree he gets injured very easily but my god when he is fit he is some machine on a rugby pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Henderson is not a better player than Ferris, come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

mfceiling wrote: »
    :eek: Did you see him against australia in the World Cup. I agree he gets injured very easily but my god when he is fit he is some machine on a rugby pitch.

I agree but the problem is he just doesn't play enough in order to get fully up to match fitness and match tightness. He played well in the WC because he had a number of matches under his belt and was relatively injury free. I honestly would not be surprised to see him not making it as far as the next WC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ferris is an amazing player but if you offered me one of Ferris or Henderson I'd take the latter because he's much, much more likely to be fit.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ferris is an amazing player but if you offered me one of Ferris or Henderson I'd take the latter because he's much, much more likely to be fit.

True...remember reading recently that ferris would have be taught to run around a player rather than through him...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭part time punk

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I agree but the problem is he just doesn't play enough in order to get fully up to match fitness and match tightness. He played well in the WC because he had a number of matches under his belt and was relatively injury free. I honestly would not be surprised to see him not making it as far as the next WC.

Think he only returned in one of the last warm up games for the world cup though. In terms of fulfilling potential, he does have 35 international caps, won a Grand Slam and played all games, Lions tourist, HCup finalist ... it's not a bad return, one most players wouldn't get, although he does probably deserve more. Hopefully some time in Japan does his body some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

Think he only returned in one of the last warm up games for the world cup though. In terms of fulfilling potential, he does have 35 international caps, won a Grand Slam and played all games, Lions tourist, HCup finalist ... it's not a bad return, one most players wouldn't get, although he does probably deserve more. Hopefully some time in Japan does his body some good.

Could backfire big time if he picks up injuries over there

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

CGD wrote: »
    Could backfire big time if he picks up injuries over there

If he acquires another big injury in the short time he's over there, I daresay his body is trying to tell him something and he should probably listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I don't think where it would matter he picks up injuries. What would the kiwis call this? A sabbatical.

At his age he can still maybe come back to be a great player, but he needs to remove himself from intense rugby for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Just had a nice wee biannual chat with my Ulster source. He painted a very bleak picture of Ferris' future career prospects :(

It'd be such a travesty to lose a guy THAT good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Does anyone know about any promotions/leavers or new intakes for the Ulster Academy? Normally start hearing about this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Returning players for Friday night and Muller back for Leinster.
    Nick Williams, Roger Wilson and Jared Payne are all expected to return to action for Ulster this week, while captain Johann Muller, is due to return a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

finally some good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

A full strength Ulster can beat a limited Saracens side so good to see the likes of Muller returning

Post of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Great news, particularly with Henderson's availability being uncertain. A Wilson, Henry, Williams backrow is definitely HEC standard.

Schools Cup final then today. Inst v Methody. Two good backlines on show I believe, shame that the weather is crap though. MCB favourites but it should be a good game. For those not going or in the South the match is on BBC2 NI at 3pm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Good to hear. Ulster will have some strength available come the QF. Anyword yet on henderson??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

come on Methody!!! haha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement