Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jackson was 1/4. O'Gara has had similar displays. Particularly the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    Very unusual for a player to be released to their province after starting a test match. I would hope that Jackson is being released to take the kicks. Presumably at home to Treviso we can take any perceived risk in that.

I say this reasonably confident that Jackson won't be dropped for France. I mean whether he should have started against Scotland is clearly debateable to say the least but to drop him now would be pretty unforgiveable IMO.[/QUOTE]

Why will it be unforgiveable? If he's not up to standard and tarnishing the Irish no. 10 jersey by inept kicking, he should be dropped.

Jackson's inclusion for kicking for Ulster at the weekend:
    1) It could restore his confidence after it was severely dented on Sunday.
    2) It could backfire and he could have another nightmare kicking game, making Kidney's decision to drop him for France a straight forward decision at the same time.

Clearly you have strong opinions on this given you started a thread on it. Fair enough, but to say that Jackson tarnished the 10 jersey or was inept is hyperbole of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Very unusual for a player to be released to their province after starting a test match. I would hope that Jackson is being released to take the kicks. Presumably at home to Treviso we can take any perceived risk in that.

I say this reasonably confident that Jackson won't be dropped for France. I mean whether he should have started against Scotland is clearly debateable to say the least but to drop him now would be pretty unforgiveable IMO.

Why will it be unforgiveable? If he's not up to standard and tarnishing the Irish no. 10 jersey by inept kicking, he should be dropped.

2) It could backfire and he could have another nightmare kicking game, making Kidney's decision to drop him for France a straight forward decision at the same time.

Tarnishing :p
    Good lord, if you think that's 'tarnishing the jersey' have you been watching some of ROG's outings in the jersey over the last few months?!
    Granted it's not number 10 he's wearing thankfully but the sentiment remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I say this reasonably confident that Jackson won't be dropped for France. I mean whether he should have started against Scotland is clearly debateable to say the least but to drop him now would be pretty unforgiveable IMO.[/QUOTE]

Think this is the 3rd thread you've posted on to complain about jackson's kicking and how he shouldn't be near the ireland team.

I'll leave this with you.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That video is no indication of how good a place kicker a player is. Just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hagz wrote: »
    That video is no indication of how good a place kicker a player is. Just saying.

I know......but the vilification of PJ by some posters here have been shocking. You'd think the lad never kicked a ball in his life before. Just threw this out there to show that he can actually kick a ball....albeit a lucky kick there but a bit of skill needed none the less!!

What were his kicking stats like in the 02 challenge? I thought I remember them being pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What were his kicking stats like in the 02 challenge? I thought I remember them being pretty good!

IIRC it was 100%? Could be totally wrong. I remember Cathal Marsh coming on and missing his first, but nailing the others after that... Again, could be totally wrong, my memory if ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

He certainly got every kick in the first half of that game anyway, including a few great strikes from the touchline. I watched the highlights again a while back and I remember the commentator mentioning it just as he slotted another one on the stroke of half time.

He had plenty of kicks that day too because the Leinster/Ulster selection were rampant. His technique and poise were exceptional and if he can do that on such a big occasion then it's probably more of a case of him finding his rhythm & confidence again.

6 from 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

How would you describe the polish O'Gara put on the jersey in his last 6 or 7 games or his last few for Munster. If ever there was a case of 'inept' kicking it was ROG's laughable cross field blurt or his shamefully schoolboy kicks to touch or even to miss touch like the pathetic hoof that led to Scotland's last penalty. If you can't see the difference you are missing a lot. Politeness causes me to refrain from being more blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Jackson is a confidence kicker and confidence is something he is lacking at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

He may not be your answer at outhalf, but that's really just about as irrational as it gets, to suggest he's doing some lasting damage to a jersey or it's honour by missing a couple of kicks in his first ever test match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »
    How would you describe the polish O'Gara put on the jersey in his last 6 or 7 games or his last few for Munster. If ever there was a case of 'inept' kicking it was ROG's laughable cross field blurt or his shamefully schoolboy kicks to touch or even to miss touch like the pathetic hoof that led to Scotland's last penalty. If you can't see the difference you are missing a lot. Politeness causes me to refrain from being more blunt.

You are missing that O'Gara was dropped for his inept performances.

jm08 wrote: »
    You are missing that O'Gara was dropped for his inept performances.

If Jackson puts in an inept performance, he should be dropped. Hasn't happened yet.

jacothelad wrote: »

Would people stop quoting that post! It looks like I was responsible for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Ferris deal up in Summer, new contract cant start until post op reports so say the times.

Hopefully, he comes back stronger,
    Interesting and I have to say this is a little strange with all his injuries

From IT

"
    However, his career has been blighted by ankle, knee and back problems. Still, it is not believed Ferris will be dropping down from a national to provincial deal, despite the union actively trimming the number of centrally-contracted players from 30 plus to the teens."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Which Ulster players would you consider for an International contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

bowe, henderson, best then maybe gilroy

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Best has one already surely?

• Advertisement

Best, Ferris, Wallace, Trimble and Bowe currently have central contracts.

Ferris, Wallace and Trimble are out of contract in June, Wallace and Trimble won't get new central contracts but should be retained by Ulster. I don't know how long Best is contracted for, probably June 2014, I think Tommy is signed on until June 2015.

Henderson and Gilroy have just signed three Ulster contracts in the last few months so there'll be no rush to promote them unless it's written into their contract. I'm not sure what the story is with Jackson and Marshall but I don't think they'd get central contracts yet.

Given Ferris' injuries I wonder what sort of central contract he would be offered, if any?

Ulster XV replacements to face Benetton Treviso, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 1st March 2013 (kick off 19:05):

(15-9): R Andrew, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, M Allen, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
    (1-8): J Afoa, R Herring, D Fitzpatrick, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, I Henderson, M McComish, R Diack;
    Replacements (16-23) N Brady, C Black, R Lutton, N McComb, A Birch, P Marshall, N O’Connor, C Cochrane.

Afoa at LH

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11233.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ssaye wrote: »
    Afoa at LH
    That is something we haven't seen for a while

Uafc fans going mad and and with McComish playing 7 who they rate as a penalty machine, think Treviso could be another banana skin like 11/2012 season
    http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/9736.php

I dont know enough about some Ulster players to give opinion.

McComish has been useless recently tbh. Don't know how he keeps his place. I'd give Birch a shot ahead of him myself.

Don't understand Afoa at LH, surely Callum black deserves a go? He's been good this season. Afoa isn't going to be around forever, would've been nice to see how Fitz and Black got on.

Positives there though in a Tuohy/Stevenson lock partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

At home they'll be fine. Treviso haven't really been dangerous outisde of Italy this side of the season.

We haven't seen it ever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

awec wrote: »
    We haven't seen it ever.

Not from the start of a match but there was one game there last season where afoa and court changed sides every couple of scrums. Bit of a mind**** for everyone involved

• Advertisement

Afoa might be there for his carrying. Against Zebre the only carriers we had up front were Henderson and Diack and it showed as went from side to side a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement