Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ssaye wrote: »
    Ferris deal up in Summer, new contract cant start until post op reports so say the times.

Hopefully, he comes back stronger,

Hopefully he comes back at all.

Also, I'm sorry, but its stupid for him to get a central contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Front Row - Macklin (season) MacAlister (season)
    2nd Row - Muller (short term)
    Backrow - Ferris (season) Wilson(short term) Henry(short term) Williams(short term) Doyle (season)
    Halfbacks- Pienaar (short term)
    Centers - Wallace (long term) Cave (next game) Farrell (season)
    Back 3 - Bowe (season) Payne (short term) Darcy (season) Nelson (season)

Is that the full injured list? Are any of my estimates wrong

Leinster had their injuries at the start of the season while Ulster's are hitting their run of injuries now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Front Row - Macklin (season) MacAlister (season)
    2nd Row - Muller (short term)
    Backrow - Ferris (season) Wilson(short term) Henry(short term) Williams(short term) Doyle (season)
    Halfbacks- Pienaar (short term)
    Centers - Wallace (long term) Cave (next game) Farrell (season)
    Back 3 - Bowe (season) Payne (short term) Darcy (season) Nelson (season)

Is that the full injured list? Are any of my estimates wrong

Leinster had their injuries at the start of the season while Ulster's are hitting their run of injuries now.

Quite a few of the list are returning for the next game, the break is what we need to get some of them back. I think it's Muller, Wilson, Henry and possibly Payne. Bowe is due for return in May so we might get a few games from him. Nick Williams is due back for the Leinster game.

Fingers crossed Pienaar's injury wasn't too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Quite a few of the list are returning for the next game, the break is what we need to get some of them back. I think it's Muller, Wilson, Henry and possibly Payne. Bowe is due for return in May so we might get a few games from him. Nick Williams is due back for the Leinster game.

Fingers crossed Pienaar's injury wasn't too serious.

The players may be back but where will they be form wise come 6th April?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Hopefully feeling like they want to smash their way to victory in Twickenham.

I have visions of Big Nick's scone bopping up and down as he runs straight through 3 people trying to bring him down. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I suppose it is worry that a lot of change needs to happen to the team over to games.

If the team that starts against Sarries is

Court, Best, Afoa, Muller, Tuohy, Henderson, Henry, Williams, Pienaar, Jackson, Trimble, Marshall, Cave, Gilroy, Payne...

Then that's half the team that has to come back. Could have problems gelling.

At least the Leinster game will give them a good test before it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Didnt hear about Macklins injury, what happened? That'll be his 2nd season ending injury in 3 yrs, desperately unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

shuffol wrote: »
    Didnt hear about Macklins injury, what happened? That'll be his 2nd season ending injury in 3 yrs, desperately unlucky.

I think it was his knee during a Ravens game, someone else should be able to confirm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

its an acl knee injury out for the season

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Heaney's signed til 2015. Good news, I think he's going to be a real strong prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Looks the business! :)

awec wrote: »
    Looks the business! :)
    We just need the team to match it now. Plenty of home grown backs but not so many to do te heavy lifting a year or two down the line. At the end of next season we lose Afoa, Pienaar and Muller. Without a tight head - apart from Deccie ' I've hurt my leg again' Fitz that is - and a decent lineout boss and iconic leader - we are up the creek sans paddle.

jacothelad wrote: »
    We just need the team to match it now. Plenty of home grown backs but not so many to do te heavy lifting a year or two down the line. At the end of next season we lose Afoa, Pienaar and Muller. Without a tight head - apart from Deccie ' I've hurt my leg again' Fitz that is - and a decent lineout boss and iconic leader - we are up the creek sans paddle.
    Henderson has a big future and will become a key part of our team.

TH is worrying, there's a bit of an epidemic in Ireland at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see us land another NIQ TH.

Pienaar, well, how do you replace that man?

Forwards mature later than backs.

As a fun exercise here is an Under 30 Ulster side minus NIQs.

15 Craig Gilroy 21
    14 Tommy Bowe 29
    13 Darren Cave 25
    12 Luke Marshall 22
    11 Andrew Trimble 28
    10 Paddy Jackson 21
    9 Paul Marshall 28
    1 Paddy McAlistair 23
    2 Rory Best 30
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick 28
    4 Iain Henderson 21
    5 Dan Tuohy 27
    6 Stephen Ferris 27
    7 Chris Henry 28
    8 Robbie Diack 26

That team plus a few NIQs could keep us going for a while yet. We could do with a top No.8 coming through.

Forwards mature later than backs.

As a fun exercise here is an Under 30 Ulster side minus NIQs.

15 Craig Gilroy 21
    14 Tommy Bowe 29
    13 Darren Cave 25
    12 Luke Marshall 22
    11 Andrew Trimble 28
    10 Paddy Jackson 21
    9 Paul Marshall 28
    1 Paddy McAlistair 23
    2 Rory Best 30
    3 Declan Fitzpatrick 28
    4 Iain Henderson 21
    5 Dan Tuohy 27
    6 Stephen Ferris 27
    7 Chris Henry 28
    8 Robbie Diack 26

That team plus a few NIQs could keep us going for a while yet. We could do with a top No.8 coming through.

But what does the bench look like?

Henderson has a big future and will become a key part of our team.

TH is worrying, there's a bit of an epidemic in Ireland at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see us land another NIQ TH.

Pienaar, well, how do you replace that man?

Yes, Henderson is a star in the ascendant. There is a 19 y.o guy at Ballyclare called Blair who is 6'9" and apparently looking very good. As you say we really need a fearsome wrecking ball of a tight head but unless we kidnap a 20 stone, 5'8" Georgian teenager we are scuppered. It will be interesting to see how some of the U20s pan out. We do have a few in the mix but they haven't set the world on fire as yet. Also there may be a surplus at Leinster by the way things look. In the interests of Irish rugby Tadgh Furlong should really come up here.......:D:D:D:D:D:D

The trouble is that the brain dead accountant who dreamed up the new NIQ regulations precludes Ulster from getting a new NIE /Q tight head. Paddy McAllister is apparently going to give it a go when he is fit. I fear the worst. Props have gone successfully from tight to loose but rarely the other way. The Claw for example became a great l/h after being a good t/h.

Wooden and mostly flat with a divot worn in it by Deccie Fitz's dressings.........................................I'll get my coat

Moving Paddy Mac to TH would be stupid - if the guy stays fit he will overtake Court and become Ulster's Healy sooner rather than later. Smacks of trying to get the best players on the pitch with no regard for the position they are playing.

Is Macklin a LH or TH?

Yes, Henderson is a star in the ascendant. There is a 19 y.o guy at Ballyclare called Blair who is 6'9" and apparently looking very good. As you say we really need a fearsome wrecking ball of a tight head but unless we kidnap a 20 stone, 5'8" Georgian teenager we are scuppered. It will be interesting to see how some of the U20s pan out. We do have a few in the mix but they haven't set the world on fire as yet. Also there may be a surplus at Leinster by the way things look. In the interests of Irish rugby Tadgh Furlong should really come up here.......:D:D:D:D:D:D

The trouble is that the brain dead accountant who dreamed up the new NIQ regulations precludes Ulster from getting a new NIE /Q tight head. Paddy McAllister is apparently going to give it a go when he is fit. I fear the worst. Props have gone successfully from tight to loose but rarely the other way. The Claw for example became a great l/h after being a good t/h.

So the NIQ rules don't let you re-sign a NIQ rule for the same position?

What about the project player scheme? I wonder if this is an option for us?

I presume for the 6'9" bloke you were referring to lock and not tight head? :pac:

• Advertisement

So the NIQ rules don't let you re-sign a NIQ rule for the same position?

No. Though they also wouldn't have let Munster re-sign Botha so who the **** really knows.

Rob Herring Callum Black Adam Macklin Lewis Stevenson Sean Doyle Rob Herring Stuart Olding Adam Darcy

Rob Herring Callum Black Adam Macklin Lewis Stevenson Sean Doyle Rob Herring Stuart Olding Adam Darcy

I believe D'Arcy may be heading to sunnier climes where they eat weird stuff like Snails and Frogs Legs.

I believe D'Arcy may be heading to sunnier climes where they eat weird stuff like Snails and Frogs Legs.
    Limerick?

Ricky Andrew or Chris Cochrane then probably

Would make sense if he was to leave, he hasn't struck me as connected to Ulster, he is an Aussie that came here on trial, he turned down a wolfhounds call up in his first season, and he wasn't trusted as first choice FB with Payne and Terblanche brought in ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Moving Paddy Mac to TH would be stupid - if the guy stays fit he will overtake Court and become Ulster's Healy sooner rather than later. Smacks of trying to get the best players on the pitch with no regard for the position they are playing.

Is Macklin a LH or TH?[/QUOTE]

macklins a TH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Russell Blair. seen him play a few times between Ulster Youths and Irish Youths. Very good player. Is he involved with Irish 19s this year and is he playing more than u19 rugby with Ballymoney or he is playing much adult rugby?

Podge_irl wrote: »

Is Macklin a LH or TH?

It's Paddy's own decision apparently. All that lazing around with his feet up has addled his brain maybe.......:D Perhaps Afoa has convinced him. Paddy Mac is big enough.............but..........
    ormond lad wrote: »
    Russell Blair. seen him play a few times between Ulster Youths and Irish Youths. Very good player. Is he involved with Irish 19s this year and is he playing more than u19 rugby with Ballymoney or he is playing much adult rugby?

He is recovering from a broken leg at the moment. I think back in training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

He is recovering from a broken leg at the moment. I think back in training.

Injury bug really going around up there huh?

• Advertisement

Injury bug really going around up there huh?
    It must be the water...... I never drink the stuff as I know what fish do in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement