Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Central contract for Trimble while Zebo, Gilroy, Fitzgerald and McFadden, all of whom are ahead of him in the pecking order don't have central contracts

Seems a little funny to me. Ah well best of luck to him and I'm glad he is staying with Ulster

Ah well they are all ahead of him in the eyes of Declan Kidney which is the key point. That may no longer count for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Trimble on a central contract seems like madness.

The only sense I can see in it is that he was linked with France and so maybe a central contract was the only way to keep him?

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Unless the IRFU reckon he will play a bigger role under a new coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I think Marshall could do a job at 13 but for him to get the experience there it will involve Cave moving on... Olding/Marshall centre partnership sounds great - although it will be a good few years off.

I've a lot of time for Cave, but there are invariably going to be times when he is unavailable so I'm sure there will be opportunities given to others. Farrell was playing there early in the season before his injury. Strange because I had thought of him more as a 12. Payne has also played there this season and has looked very good. It may not happen, but I've regularly thought that Marshall has the makings of an excellent 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Good for him, I have no clue why he is getting one over some of the other wingers, Gilroy? Maybe the IRFU didn't want to loose two well known names to France?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm a very big fan of Trimble but under absolutely no circumstances should any winger be getting a central contract. We have a huge dearth of talent on the wing, no need for it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Good signing for Ulster.

It's promising for them to see that not only are they assembling a serious XV they also are developing serious options in depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

UAFC just uploaded the Munster v Ulster QF in full on Youtube if anyone wants to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Teferi wrote: »
    I'm a very big fan of Trimble but under absolutely no circumstances should any winger be getting a central contract. We have a huge dearth of talent on the wing, no need for it really.

Think you mean 'surplus of talent'?

It might be something to do with the number of central contracts per province; with Ferris uncertain and Wallace's deal not to be renewed, that only leaves Best and Bowe on central contracts in Ulster (by my reckoning anyway). Ulster could argue that they're carrying too much of a provincial wage bill compared to Leinster and Munster.

Trimble still has a huge amount to offer Ireland; the assumption that he's on the scrap-heap now that Gilroy is in the national team is very wide of the mark IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Think you mean 'surplus of talent'?

I meant depth. A simple spelling error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Disappointing news on Henderson unfortunately.
    While Henderson underwent a scan yesterday - the results of which had not been confirmed at time of going to Press - Anscombe was bracing himself for the worst possible news.

“From the initial reports I am hearing it is not going to be such good news.

“I think it could be another player added to the list of those who will be out for the season,” he told the News Letter yesterday.

****s sake, great players getting injured right left and center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

TommyBowe14: @stringer9 hey strings, how are things? All ok with me, leg coming on well so hopefully back in a few weeks. Any Craic?

Bowe seems optimistic, thats some good news in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

Disappointing news on Henderson unfortunately.

I think I took for granted the extent to which Hendy's breaking through was making up for Ferris' absence. It's so so disappointing to lose him at this stage in the season.

Diack at 6 then for the sarries game? With Williams and Henry back in the backrow we should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I hope Henderson's injury isn't as bad as is feared. He's the guy I was looking forward to most on the Summer tour. Diack is in good form and will slot in against Sarries but McComish will be on the bench. Hopefully Henry will be back for the Leinster game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hype710 wrote: »
    I hope Henderson's injury isn't as bad as is feared. He's the guy I was looking forward to most on the Summer tour. Diack is in good form and will slot in against Sarries but McComish will be on the bench. Hopefully Henry will be back for the Leinster game.
    We don't want any piece of McComish on the bench

6 Diack 7 Hery 8 Williams 20 Wilson

I heard a rumour that two or three young Ulstermen are going to Rotterham Titans next season.

Also heard rumours formal arrangement between Ulster Rugby and Rotterham Titans is being looked at whereby Ulster players go to Rotterham for a year to get professional experience before returning to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I heard a rumour that two or three young Ulstermen are going to Rotterham Titans next season.

Also heard rumours formal arrangement between Ulster Rugby and Rotterham Titans is being looked at whereby Ulster players go to Rotterham for a year to get professional experience before returning to Ulster.

Any names?

Its not great for the UBL but given Ulster have no teams in Div 1A (hopefully 'Hinch change that) it's definitely a step up for the young players to play in the Championship so a good idea to have a formal agreement in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

We don't want any piece of McComish on the bench

6 Diack 7 Hery 8 Williams 20 Wilson

According to thescore.ie Wilson will miss the Sarries game while Henry is due back for Leinster next week.

bilston wrote: »
    Any names?

Its not great for the UBL but given Ulster have no teams in Div 1A (hopefully 'Hinch change that) it's definitely a step up for the young players to play in the Championship so a good idea to have a formal agreement in place.
    Not sure if any are going but I'm told that enquiries have been made for McIlroy Burns and Carey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Hype710 wrote: »

Henderson back "in the coming weeks". Looks like soft tissue damage only.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Edinburgh game is on BBC red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Paul4As wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Paul4As wrote: »

Wonder how BBCNI are going to cover this as it is not being broadcast by BBC Alba who would normally be the host broadcaster. Sometimes BBC2W show live matches from Scotland that BBC Alba do not cover so I presume it will be full OB coverage.

Wonder how BBCNI are going to cover this as it is not being broadcast by BBC Alba who would normally be the host broadcaster. Sometimes BBC2W show live matches from Scotland that BBC Alba do not cover so I presume it will be full OB coverage.

They did it for one of the Italian games and I presume it'll be the same - a few cameras, a mobile control room and Jim Neilly's dulcet tones (what more could you want?! ;)). No studio analysis.

Have to say BBCNI have excelled themselves in bringing us coverage of every single match.

There are cameras at any game anyway. These teams pay video analysts and they're going to ensure they get their money's worth!

Ulster XV replacements to face Edinburgh, RaboDirect PRO12, Murrayfield, Friday 22nd March 2013 (kick off 19.30):

(15-9): J. Payne, A Trimble, D Cave, S Olding, M Allen, P Jackson, P Marshall; (1-8): T Court, R Herring, J Afoa, J Muller, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, M McComish, R Diack; Replacements (16-23) N Annett, C Black, R Lutton, N Williams, A Birch, M Heaney, R Andrew, P Nelson.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Looks good, will be great to have Muller and Payne back and I'm looking forward to seeing more from Olding.

• Advertisement

Looks like a great team. Not sure how Mike McComish remains in it... :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement