Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

jacothelad wrote: »
    It must be the water...... I never drink the stuff as I know what fish do in it.
    Straight from the fish, right into the bushmills. Full of omega 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Straight from the fish, right into the bushmills. Full of omega 3

Ah but it has been evaporated off. Alcohol evaporates at about 70C. Fish pish at 100C. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

James McKinney back to Ulster: http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/james-mckinney-set-for-ulster-return-1-4875769

I assume that means NOC will be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Between Jackson, Olding and now McKinney, Ulster will be well stocked with good young and IRISH OHs..

Also has there been any talk of a new contract for Wallace, could be he might not be offered another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Good to see some backup at 10 coming in.

• Advertisement

Fooker wrote: »
    Also has there been any talk of a new contract for Wallace, could be he might not be offered another one?

Contract talks won't happen until the recovery period is more clear probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Certainly not upset to see McKinney coming back to Ulster, but maybe he could've done with another year abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd heard he was coming back and then that he was going to France but glad to see him come back. I guess Ulster think Jackson will be No.22 for Ireland next season which means he will miss a few games. Obviously Pienaar will miss a few games due to SA commitments and we know he doesn't like playing 10 so McKinney will get lots of games. I'd love to know where Ulster see Olding's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yea id love to see him nailed down to a main position... Versatility is good but that lad will be a right proposition if he settles somewhere (I mean at international level too nevermind provincial)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

bilston wrote: »
    I'd love to know where Ulster see Olding's future.

Me too. It's early days but he's definitely looked best at inside centre to me. Which I have to admit I find a tiny wee bit annoying given that other freshfaced blondie haired player who's spent the season making that shirt his. If Marshall wasn't around I'd be keen to see Olding starting in the Rabo games at 12 and further developing his skills ASAP. Feel he may be shunted around a few different positions for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

MolBee wrote: »

Me too. It's early days but he's definitely looked best at inside centre to me. Which I have to admit I find a tiny wee bit annoying given that other freshfaced blondie haired player who's spent the season making that shirt his. If Marshall wasn't around I'd be keen to see Olding starting in the Rabo games at 12 and further developing his skills ASAP. Feel he may be shunted around a few different positions for a while...

I could see him at 13 but thebmn Farrell is coming through too and Cave is only 25 or 26 himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

So much talent coming through in the backs at the moment, very promising for the next few years.

Hopefully a few forwards in the pipeline soon other than just IH.

Always been impressed with McKinney. Solid solid player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Ulster flanker Stephen Ferris is considering a possible move to a Japanese club at the end of the season.
    The injury-plagued forward's IRFU contract expires on 30 June and a number of oversees clubs are interested in signing the Ireland player.
    This includes an unnamed club from Japan, but Ferris has had no formal negotiations with any party to date.
    Meanwhile, Andrew Trimble is expected to a sign a new two-year contract this week which will keep him at Ulster.
    Ferris has struggled with injury in recent years and the 27-year-old will miss the rest of the season after having a second operation on an ankle problem.
    He was selected for the 2009 British and Irish Lions squad but, after making a brilliant early impression in South Africa, suffered a knee injury which ended his tour.
    He also missed the 2011 Six Nations campaign and last November's internationals because of injury.

BBC

The idea of Ferris playing on a pitch where the average physique is that of Shane Williams' is positively hilarious.

Takeshi's Castle levels of bizarreness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Watching SBW playing in Japan was bizarre enough. Ferris would be like some sort of unstoppable rampaging bull

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The idea of Ferris playing on a pitch where the average physique is that of Shane Williams' is positively hilarious.

Softer rugby lower injury risk. He may also be able to slim a little since a cause of his injuries may (and I'm no expert) be that he has carrying too much weight for his structure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Presumably IRFU not offering much given his injury problems. Perhaps he suspects he only has a couple of years left.

As in the Johnny Sexton case, now is pretty much the best possible chance Ferris has to get away and get some money / recovery time and still be able to come back for the next World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fezilla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Say it ain't so! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would playing in Japan rule him out of 6N?

Would playing in Japan rule him out of 6N?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

checked out the Jap "Top League" and the games seem to be played Sep-Jan. With playoffs last season in Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fez moving would obviously be bad for Ulster but it may do him some good in the long run - a year contract playing relatively low-level rugby and a small amount of games might do his body some good and possibly get back to full fitness. It may mean we get a few more miles out of him when he does come back.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

But it's Ferris!

After the HEC quarter final last year I think thomond described us as "14 men and a demon". :D

Henderson looks like he could be the second coming of Ferris, hopefully demonic possession included. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Teferi wrote: »
    Fez moving would obviously be bad for Ulster but it may do him some good in the long run - a year contract playing relatively low-level rugby and a small amount of games might do his body some good and possibly get back to full fitness. It may mean we get a few more miles out of him when he does come back.

He'll not be back. If hes in Asia he'll have more interaction with the ANZAC brigade and if he gets a sniff of a pension tour option down south, he'll be away till he hangs up the boots.....

Its a shame to happen, we never saw the best of Ferris due to his long layoffs, and now there are conveyors of No.6s in his image looking for the shirt at both Ulster and Ireland, although not yet at his level.....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

• Advertisement

Fooker wrote: »
    I wonder how long this has been known and if it influenced the surprising decision to sign up O'Mahony..

whatever about the merits or otherwise of POM getting a national contract, I think offering Ferris the same terms as before would be a mistake. Obviously Ferris and his representatives aren't happy with a reduced IRFU offer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement