Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Will be watching it indeed. Come on RBAI, just for the sake of variety. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Would anyone else agree it's best to rest Luke Marshall on Friday, even if he recovers from the bash to the head? I don't think we can afford to have him miss the Leinster/Sarries game with Wallace injured.

Not sure who would play in his place though, maybe Andrews at 15 and Payne at centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would anyone else agree it's best to rest Luke Marshall on Friday, even if he recovers from the bash to the head? I don't think we can afford to have him miss the Leinster/Sarries game with Wallace injured.

Not sure who would play in his place though, maybe Andrews at 15 and Payne at centre?

I dont think the internationals will be available anyway so he would be rested no matter what. Olding to 12 and Payne at 15 for me although maybe Olding will be needed at 10?

By the way Peter Nelson played 10 for Dungannon on Sat and scored 21 points which is good to hear.

leonard7 wrote: »
    come on Methody!!! haha

Inst Inst Ancient and Royal!

bilston wrote: »
    I dont think the internationals will be available anyway so he would be rested no matter what. Olding to 12 and Payne at 15 for me although maybe Olding will be needed at 10?

By the way Peter Nelson played 10 for Dungannon on Sat and scored 21 points which is good to hear.

Totally forgot about Olding, good call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Seem to remember his kicking being a bit dodge for the u-20s last season, looked much more comfortable at 13 but another center is the last thing Ulster need.

Does that include the likes of Paul Marshall? Could we see him at 9 and RP at 10?

awec wrote: »
    Does that include the likes of Paul Marshall? Could we see him at 9 and RP at 10?

Usually just the starters so Marshall should be ok to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Will Olding start the quarter final now? Looks a serious prospect

trouttrout wrote: »
    Depends who is fit I would say, don't think he's quite first choice yet.

Great bench option mind!

• Advertisement

If Marshall is out then yes probably. You're he is a great talent, still only 19.

When is Bowe due back, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

If Marshall is out then yes probably. You're he is a great talent, still only 19.

Can he play 13 at all?

Can he play 13 at all?

He played there for the 20s last year and did well so why not.

When is Bowe due back, out of interest?

End of April, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Anyone know if this weekend's match is televised. Can't see it anywhere?

Great to hear some big players coming back. Will need as many of them as possible to get a shot at either cup this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Anyone know if this weekend's match is televised. Can't see it anywhere?

Great to hear some big players coming back. Will need as many of them as possible to get a shot at either cup this year.
    no host broadcaster listed on the rabo fixtures list so probably not going to be on unless there's a last minute change
    http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php

If it's not live, surely it'll be on the red button then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If Marshall is out then Olding could well start.

Payne, Trimble and Bowe (will he be back??) can play center but none of them have played 12 and Cave doesn't have much experience there afaik. Jackson can play 12 and Pienaar can play 10 but thats too many positional changes for my thinking.

Of the options available Olding at 12 looks the best to me.
    If it's not live, surely it'll be on the red button then?
    Don't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

If Marshall is out then Olding could well start.

Payne, Trimble and Bowe (will he be back??) can play center but none of them have played 12 and Cave doesn't have much experience there afaik. Jackson can play 12 and Pienaar can play 10 but thats too many positional changes for my thinking.

Of the options available Olding at 12 looks the best to me.

Don't think so

Olding at 12 would be a bold but warranted move.
    He's looked excellent at Rabo level so far, but defending against Barrit would be another step up.

What do Ulster posters see as his long term position?
    Challenging Jackson at 10 or further out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

Olding isn't in the HC squad though. Can he be added or is that it for adding/removing players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

MolBee wrote: »
    Olding isn't in the HC squad though. Can he be added or is that it for adding/removing players?

Think they can add 3 however 1 must be from the front row.
    No idea if Olding has been added.

He was about the only positive from the last couple of defeats.

MolBee wrote: »
    You get to add or remove 3 players now (1 has to be front row)
    He's looked excellent at Rabo level so far, but defending against Barrit would be another step up.

Mainly a Leinster fan but I'll comment.

To be honest I don't think we will see Olding cement a position. With McKinney coming home it will be difficult for him at 10. He could well end up with the utility back tag I'm afraid.

Well capable of playing 10/12/13/15 with 10/12 looking to me as his best positions to me.

This McKinney thing confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we could be likely to see Marshall move to 13 outside Olding. I'd really like to see how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This McKinney thing confirmed?

I think it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

I don't know, would it? Barrit is a great defender but is not really fast or capable of running good lines. Reasonably powerful in attack, but good angles worry defences and cause line breaks, not raw power.

As for his (Olding's) future, I'd love to see him at 12, if he can put on a bit more bulk without losing pace.

You get to add or remove 3 players now (1 has to be front row)

Mainly a Leinster fan but I'll comment.

To be honest I don't think we will see Olding cement a position. With McKinney coming home it will be difficult for him at 10. He could well end up with the utility back tag I'm afraid.

Well capable of playing 10/12/13/15 with 10/12 looking to me as his best positions to me.

The McKinney move is actually a little strange, or perhaps it indicates that they see Olding as more of a 12/15.

Some serious talent coming through though.

Also, going to be a novelty to see McKinney and Heaney partnered, two guys that went away, did well in the champ and have come back.

The McKinney move is actually a little strange, or perhaps it indicates that they see Olding as more of a 12/15.

Some serious talent coming through though.

Also, going to be a novelty to see McKinney and Heaney partnered, two guys that went away, did well in the champ and have come back.
    With NOC leaving Ulster won't want to go into next season with Jackson, Olding, Pienaar and Wallace. A little light and very much relying on two guys who are significantly better in other positions and one guy who no one has a clue what his best position is.

• Advertisement

rchendz92 wrote: »
    I don't know, would it? Barrit is a great defender but is not really fast or capable of running good lines. Reasonably powerful in attack, but good angles worry defences and cause line breaks, not raw power.

As for his (Olding's) future, I'd love to see him at 12, if he can put on a bit more bulk without losing pace.

He'd be far more bulkier than Olding at this stage though, one on one I'd fear.
    Raw power certainly can worry defences! Obviously a better player will have more strings to his bow, but look at Jamie Roberts, Basteraud, Nonu etc, all of whom wouldn't be the quickest centres out there, or the best footwork, but their pure power makes them serious weapons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement