Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dopolahpec wrote: »
    GFS painting a grim picture for Paddy's Weekend. Lots of rain. Lots of rain for days. Cold rain. Hill snow. Northerly incursions.

Snow or no snow, looks pretty grim alright at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Hi all. No snow down here as you probably know (well done to Waterford btw!) but very cold and bitter, a sharp frost this morning. Was even able to catch a glimpse of some glistening Galtee Mountains (completely white with snow).

Overall, we can't really complain down here, as we got a good few days of snow earlier in the year and some beefy snow showers yesterday (even if the snow didn't settle). Hopefully next winter will prove fruitful for all in terms of snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Uppers like that won't work for most places! I'd rather warm weather than see Three Rock in Dublin capped with snow yet again! The weather will be interesting at least.

Don't get me wrong I much prefer dry over wet weather. But we are not far from -8 uppers. Although it's straw clutching to manage sea level snow with even a modified setup, the potential is there.

What are we Irish if not optimistic?

I recall a time of Beat Croatia and Italy then draw with Spain. Twas a certainty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Nabber wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I much prefer dry over wet weather. But we are not far from -8 uppers. Although it's straw clutching to manage sea level snow with even a modified setup, the potential is there.

What are we Irish if not optimistic?

I recall a time of Beat Croatia and Italy then draw with Spain. Twas a certainty....

Well it only really got good last night when I started talking about Ray Houghton, so I'm gonna stick with ya here.

Opel Jersey.. Check
    Bobble Hat.. Check
    Shamrock for Bobble Hat.. Check.

Bring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking at the pictures from northern France making me very jealous ! What could have been!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Looking at the pictures from northern France making me very jealous ! What could have been!

Jersey of all places too

Immense ECM 12z, unsettled and cold. Probably lots of snow inland and on high ground at times.

Very low thicknesses even if 850s not spectacular.
    ECM1-168.GIF?12-0

This one would be a snow event, could be a few earlier too!!

My oh my, incredible output

ECM1-192.GIF?12-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Bbc ni fc gives snow tonight and widely tomorrow morning esp across northern and western Ulster

Yes latest hirlam showed snowy showers pushing south into Leinster but not much support from other models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

For when?

For when?
    The morning.

Important to remember that 850hPa temps were not exceptional in 2010, yes the days were good few hours shorter than mid March but the upcoming spell pronged by the ECM combined with the Irish Sea being a bit colder could still be significant. The very low thicknesses are particularly interested.
    Historic examples

850s 19 December 2010
    Rrea00220101219.gif

Remember the heavy snow showers for Dublin on Christmas Eve?

Rrea00220101224.gif

My point is combining the forecast low thicknesses could negate the marginality of the -5 to -8c uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Immense ECM 12z, unsettled and cold. Probably lots of snow inland and on high ground at times.

Very low thicknesses even if 850s not spectacular.
    ECM1-168.GIF?12-0
    When you said uppers weren't great i thought you meant they were -4s . they are -8s now I've looked so not too shabby (pulls sled back out of attic).

When you said uppers weren't great i thought you meant they were -4s . they are -8s now I've looked so not too shabby (pulls sled back out of attic).

Everything looks puny after our -12s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Everything looks puny after our -12s!!

GFS is great in Fi !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would say snow on hills (especially northwest) by weekend and Monday, with a very cold rain at sea level. Hail showers in early stages before low gets away to the east more. In between sleet and mixing. Time for this to change so just a sketchy long-range view ... coldest uppers are timed for Sunday night/Monday so that would be the peak for any snow risk but so far I would say that is mainly above 300m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

As I'm on my phone, archive searching is harder, so could anyone get up the 850's for the epic high ground NI snowstorm from 2010 March 29/30/31st. Down here we had a good 8-10 hours of snow, only a degree or so away from settling on all surfaces I say, considering how it eventually began to build up on concrete when the system was clearing. Will be interesting to see the uppers from then, nearly sure they were nothing more than -6/-8.

-5c and falling to -6c briefly John ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

-5c and falling to -6c briefly John ;)

Well then, I guess we can class tonight's runs as very promising!

The snow may melt as tediously quick once the sun shines, but it's still nice to see it fall and accumulate if only briefly.

Run of the night to NAVGEM...ridiculous for March! GFS isn't too shabby either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

500 hPa temps look quite interesting for saturday. I feel there will be a lot of snow over 300 metres or so and possibly at lower levels if precipitation occurs at night. Nice slack low

Improved GFS in the nearer term

Look at the set-up, near enough the holy grail synoptic.

Rtavn1381.png

I feel like i am talking to myself at the moment! I expect lots of attention in here come the weekend!

19 March comes and the cold keeps coming.

Rtavn1561.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

mighty mighty run, look at the pressure rises over the pole. Amazing model output, pity it isn't January but interesting times ahead nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are we getting much support from the other models for this outcome? Also 6 days is a good bit out, in Fantasy Island territory

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

It's too raw to jump back in again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

It's too raw to jump back in again:mad:
    Give it a day or two, you'll be feeling better then and if the charts have gone tits up you'll have no need to jump in for more punishment:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I don't mind more snow for my birthday on the 20th. =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

@Weathercheck..
    What % would you give a chart like that(ie so far in FI)of coming to pass?
    It is a nice bit of eye-candy though;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement