Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Heavy Snow Showers As It Turns Extremely Cold Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Any chance of photos from Arklow or Waterford before it's all gone for another 8 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

youknowwho wrote: »
    Any chance of photos from Arklow or Waterford before it's all gone for another 8 months?

The thaw is kicking in but still a nice bit around waterford, ballygunner area of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

I knew it! Ye made it all up, didn't ye? (just lie to me and say yes....)

No i never lie:P

Roads are very bad around the city just back home.. Thaw beginning to kick in slowly. Tramore town centre is closed now to traffic due to several crashes this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffee n chocs

10 cm in New Ross. Have just spent 10 mins trying to upload pics but still havent managed it.

Snow day at home with the kids. Hooray!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

first blizzard across tramore bay at 4pm yesterday

66408_623893090969639_1424080596_n.jpg

and this morning

208617_474677785913574_1151669431_n.jpg

IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0133.JPG
    :D

I saw the 200 first and thought you had 8 inches of snow and then realised the scale went the other way:rolleyes:

Make the most of it while you can - a snowman will last beyond Paddy's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffee n chocs

load.imageshack.us
    load.imageshack.us

New Ross. It was hard to hold the tape measure and the camera but its 10 cm.:D

It has started to thaw already. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

tramore is a great place to live!! just today that is! finaly...... a bonus for the hellhole!
    we got loads of snow ad open schools, ha ha children the adults get to use up the snow for snow sculptures! not sure bout the 'town centre' (where is that?!) being closed, iv been out and about and theres still traffic. crazy people because the cars are sliding all over the road, had a hairy moment on the path with a car sliding right towards me. the bus got stuck at o neills corner this morning so not sure are they still running.
    anyone looking for some snow fun, come to tramore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Photo from ballygunner waterford this morning looking out at river suir and over hills of kk and wx

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

South Meath and Dublin did extremely poorly from this spell compared to most other areas, still it was an interesting spell. Still have the traces of snow lying in the shaded areas of garden.

Looks like we could have more wintry showers from Saturday onwards but propably not cold enough for any lying snow, looks very cold right into the middle of next week and maybe beyond. At this stage tho im done and it's time to move on and focus on looking for warmth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So disappointed with the forecasts. I'm taking out the mountain bike in the morning after looking at the snow in the back garden, only to discover that the roads are completely clear

Right folks I think this rollercoaster ride is over (for me anyway). It's been an emotional ride with all the excitement and anticipation just like being a kid again and hoping school would be shut. And while we all didn't get the ending we had hoped for, the thrill of some of the blizzards I had the fortune to experience brought some short lived joy.

As I hope to be leaving these shores in the next few months I expect it was my last experience of snow for quite a while. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the fun and in particular those of you that can read those charts as opposed to just relying upon everybody elses interpretation ( I will endeavour to understand them yet).

Right so, next ride: Risk of a Summer in 2013........ who's on board?

blankAs wrote: »
    tramore is a great place to live!! just today that is! finaly...... a bonus for the hellhole!
    we got loads of snow ad open schools, ha ha children the adults get to use up the snow for snow sculptures! not sure bout the 'town centre' (where is that?!) being closed, iv been out and about and theres still traffic. crazy people because the cars are sliding all over the road, had a hairy moment on the path with a car sliding right towards me. the bus got stuck at o neills corner this morning so not sure are they still running.
    anyone looking for some snow fun, come to tramore!

Wlrfm (Official)

about an hour ago

ROADS/ TRAFFIC update: Suirway service from Passage East To Waterford and Killea/ Dunmore East buses are off this morning. Dunmore E-Waterford and Portlaw service operating with delays. Kenneallys bus service to Abbey Park is off due to dangerous road conditions, all other services ok. Tramore Town Centre CLOSED.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

110320133312_zps0af074c5.jpg

110320133326_zps88b4c457.jpg

taken in Enniscorthy last night

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just listening to what's going on around Ireland, the UK and Europe with snow and the like, and it's clear that once again, it was very close, the South East of the UK has been badly disrupted, Eurostar is off due to snow in France, Frankfurt Airport has had to close because of snow, and it's not over yet.

What has become clear is that once again, the dividing line between the weather patterns is highly volatile, and very mobile. Predicting the exact position of these divisions is still not a reliable science, which is why we're not able to get accurate forecasts for snowfall over areas like Ireland.

Hopefully, the computer models will be refined on the basis of the experiences of the last weeks, and the forecasting systems will improve as a result, but if we look at the variances between the models on the longer term periods, its very clear that even the models can't agree about the most likely outcome.

Were the forecasts we got good or bad? Who can tell. The determination of that could change with a 5 mile difference of location, in parts of the South East, the forecast seems to have been pretty close, on the other hand, the Dublin Snow Bunnies are probably plotting how to get the Isle of Man moved, so your location very much determined the accuracy of the forecast.

Rating the forecasts as such is probably not overly helpful, hindsight is always 20/20, putting your head above the parapet and speaking out before the event takes a lot more courage, especially when the predicted outcome is out of line with the concensus, at either extreme.

We're very fortunate here, there seems to be a wide range of skills, and some very experienced weather watchers, the result being that the quality of the information that is available here is every bit as good as the professional services, and at times, more revealing, in that we get to see not only the forecasts, but some of the thinking behind the forecast.

For me, this week's roller coaster has been very interesting, and the discussions between the different forecasters has been equally stimulating. Nobody got it completely right, but equally, nobody got it wrong either, and in the end, while there were differences in emphasis, there was a reasonable level of agreement about what was coming.

It's come, it's gone again for now, time to move on, and see what the next few weeks bring. One thing is certain, it will be weather.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Weird weather. In out in the garden in a t-shirt planting flowers. Lovely day. Only a few hours ago it was -3 . north wind and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ironically, given the amount of giving out about previous (non) events, we got a lot less in this one (only a dusting really) than we had in the others that failed to materialise for most. It was very localised, with a few miles down the road getting a few cm's more than we did. Not complaining, as the kids (and dad) had they're snow fun this winter.

I hope I'm learning a bit more, and being able to intepret more myself (even if I'm a long way from public commenting). Certainly a weather station is on the wish list and I'll be lurking more frequently. So I hope all the experts stick around, and maybe a few of those that left are tempted back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Wlrfm (Official)

about an hour ago

ROADS/ TRAFFIC update: Suirway service from Passage East To Waterford and Killea/ Dunmore East buses are off this morning. Dunmore E-Waterford and Portlaw service operating with delays. Kenneallys bus service to Abbey Park is off due to dangerous road conditions, all other services ok. Tramore Town Centre CLOSED.

Certainly not used to the snow down there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Right folks I think this rollercoaster ride is over (for me anyway). It's been an emotional ride with all the excitement and anticipation just like being a kid again and hoping school would be shut. And while we all didn't get the ending we had hoped for, the thrill of some of the blizzards I had the fortune to experience brought some short lived joy.

As I hope to be leaving these shores in the next few months I expect it was my last experience of snow for quite a while. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the fun and in particular those of you that can read those charts as opposed to just relying upon everybody elses interpretation ( I will endeavour to understand them yet).

Right so, next ride: Risk of a Summer in 2013........ who's on board?
    No probley snow for some on paddys day.i wont be attending the parade this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Just listening to what's going on around Ireland, the UK and Europe with snow and the like, and it's clear that once again, it was very close, the South East of the UK has been badly disrupted, Eurostar is off due to snow in France, Frankfurt Airport has had to close because of snow, and it's not over yet.

What has become clear is that once again, the dividing line between the weather patterns is highly volatile, and very mobile. Predicting the exact position of these divisions is still not a reliable science, which is why we're not able to get accurate forecasts for snowfall over areas like Ireland.

Hopefully, the computer models will be refined on the basis of the experiences of the last weeks, and the forecasting systems will improve as a result, but if we look at the variances between the models on the longer term periods, its very clear that even the models can't agree about the most likely outcome.

Were the forecasts we got good or bad? Who can tell. The determination of that could change with a 5 mile difference of location, in parts of the South East, the forecast seems to have been pretty close, on the other hand, the Dublin Snow Bunnies are probably plotting how to get the Isle of Man moved, so your location very much determined the accuracy of the forecast.

Rating the forecasts as such is probably not overly helpful, hindsight is always 20/20, putting your head above the parapet and speaking out before the event takes a lot more courage, especially when the predicted outcome is out of line with the concensus, at either extreme.

We're very fortunate here, there seems to be a wide range of skills, and some very experienced weather watchers, the result being that the quality of the information that is available here is every bit as good as the professional services, and at times, more revealing, in that we get to see not only the forecasts, but some of the thinking behind the forecast.

For me, this week's roller coaster has been very interesting, and the discussions between the different forecasters has been equally stimulating. Nobody got it completely right, but equally, nobody got it wrong either, and in the end, while there were differences in emphasis, there was a reasonable level of agreement about what was coming.

It's come, it's gone again for now, time to move on, and see what the next few weeks bring. One thing is certain, it will be weather.

An excellent post; I couldn't have put it better myself.

The "mine is better than yours" and "their forecast was wrong and his was right" bickering can really derail an excellent thread.

Thanks to all that took time and effort interpreting the models and possible outcomes, your posts and analysis have been hugely informative to the novice like myself.

And to second what Irish Steve said, one things for sure "there will be weather":)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

We are seeing some charts pop up now that in winter we would have all been congratulating each other on. (Why do we congratulate each other? Who knows)

The cold and unsettled weather is set to continue.

13031706_1206.gif

This low is set to stall for 50+ hours over the Irish Sea while drifting slowly South East.

13031918_1206.gif

gfs-0-132.png?6

Morning temps of 0-4 at T162

gfs-9-162.png?6

It certainly isn't like March last year, which was arguably our best month in an otherwise forgettable 2012 weather year.

We are back to living how we lived the last three months, upper temps on the marginal side.

gfs-1-156.png?6

This could all change, but I'll be damned if I'll stop ramping now.
    It maybe that we get nothing and we all hate each other again..... But shouldn't we have one last ramp based on a wing and a prayer?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temps rising now from the north, thaw set in melting lying snow in the shade now, think were done with the cold spell now in terms of snow, the rest of this cold spell is gonna be a pain, remaining bitterly cold with cold rain, sunny spells or wintry showers over the next week and a half. Cant wait for some warmer temperatures now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Uppers like that won't work for most places! I'd rather warm weather than see Three Rock in Dublin capped with snow yet again! The weather will be interesting at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All done? Roll on the weekend potential...........

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mrsweasley wrote: »

Was out driving in it after midnight & there was an even heavier layer of snow at that stage,sliding along back roads was an interesting experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Uppers like that won't work for most places! I'd rather warm weather than see Three Rock in Dublin capped with snow yet again! The weather will be interesting at least.
    3 rock would be under pressure to see snow with those -4 uppers and modified returning polar and artic maratime,with a wind straight off the sea.
    The Rte tx at Kippure would,the top of Sally gap and some of the by roads above 1000ft near Lug.
    Waist deep on Lug.
    For the rest of us cold nuisance rain.

So No I'm not rolling on next w/end unless there's a blizzard of Saharan dust coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Some of the forecasts for this week were rather OTT and so are forecasts for Snow on St Patrick's Day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Villain wrote: »
    Some of the forecasts for this week were rather OTT and so are forecasts for Snow on St Patrick's Day!

GFS painting a grim picture for Paddy's Weekend. Lots of rain. Lots of rain for days. Cold rain. Hill snow. Northerly incursions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement