Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

dubhthach wrote: »
    After the death of Séamus Brennan supposedly the local party hacks in Dundrum wanted to rename the William Dargan Bridge after him. :eek:
    Well he did make a contribution to rail - letting free pass holders use crammed peak time trains in 2006 leaving people paying huge sums for monthly pass on the platform or squeezed into a corner suffocating.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

dowlingm wrote: »
    Typical Irish undervaluing of scientists. Without mathematics it's pretty hard to build railways and bridges.

Honestly, I think it's a tourism thing. Despite our great history of scientists, we're far more renowned for our literature. It may be that somebody in the city council believes that naming bridges after author's will have some sort of positive effect on that type of tourism.

Unfortunate really, as I still remember being amazed at the amount of groundbreaking Irish scientists in the opening chapters of my Leaving Cert chemistry book :o 'Hamilton Bridge' is definitely a name I would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irldk

Has a completion/opening date been announced for this bridge yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I took some pictures the other day, that I'll try to post up.

They are currently doing the supports (false work) for the concrete formwork.

I imagine they will be looking to have most of the structure done before the rain sets in in summer/autumn. Opening date might be another matter.

They are looking for a name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Passing it yesterday

Some pics from 28 February 2013.

More

Last bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Is it just my impression or the deck of this bridge is going to be quite a lot higher than current roads on the north bank. Are they going to raise the rods on the quay? Probably yes as trams can't go over too sudden elevation changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Geogregor wrote: »
    Is it just my impression or the deck of this bridge is going to be quite a lot higher than current roads on the north bank. Are they going to raise the rods on the quay? Probably yes as trams can't go over too sudden elevation changes.

I seen that, seem ridiculous if it's going to be as high as it appears. It's hard to tell because there are two sections that have different heights. It should built similar to the one built upstream where you turn off for Stoneybatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Are they actually building it on site and from scratch? I thought the modern approach was to prefab it and ship to site. Or do the other eastern bridges get in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Are they actually building it on site and from scratch? I thought the modern approach was to prefab it and ship to site. Or do the other eastern bridges get in the way?

I would say the logistical challenges of getting a prefebricated bridge to the site outweighs the potential savings. It'd have to be an air lift for at least the last hurdle over Butt bridge.

I get the impression the bridge will be concrete, not steel.

The existing structures are temporary and will be removed when the bridge is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kreator1984

Joko wrote: »
    Spamming a thread with photos is annoying for users on mobiles.

Actually annoying for everyone.

It is not spamming , it is SHARING.

It is not spamming , it is SHARING.
    That post is a year old. :)

If you want to turn off images, go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Kreator1984

Victor wrote: »
    That post is a year old. :)

If you want to turn off images, go here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

I know but I was publishing those pictures on the Skyscraper I and I just noticed that calling it spamming is not fair. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    I seen that, seem ridiculous if it's going to be as high as it appears. It's hard to tell because there are two sections that have different heights. It should built similar to the one built upstream where you turn off for Stoneybatter.
    Doesn't look higher to me. The edges are, but those are footpaths. The tram/bus lanes are level with the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I do agree this bridge which there seems to have been a lot of work done on it (not quite showing the results yet)
    As a someone who cycles in the city quite a bit, I am pleased there is cycle space allocated however i struggle to see how much of a benefit this will be since the one-way system and lack of cycling lane allocations seem to feed any variety of traffic to the bridge

If you are cycling down dame st. westmoreland st. going north its far easier to use o'connell bridge - also with the additional public transport on marlborough street with buses (and blind spots) and the Luas connection lines I think this is a more dangerous cycle route than going o'connell street.
    Without having a two-way defined cycling lanes on the quays access to such a bridge for cyclists is of a reduced value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It is good to see this development - even if they are late!
    I would rather both LUAS lines go on this bridge rather than one, and the other on O'Connell street/bridge

My concern about the Bike lanes is the fact that to feed this bridge, there are not that many cycling options Dame St. sure you would cross at o'connell bridge
    and accessing it from Marlborough street can be problematic if you can easily nip over to o;connelt street.
    The lack of a cycle path alongside the river is also a major negative

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It's been confirmed that the new bridge will be named after Rosie Hackett. I'm somewhat disappointed if I'm honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It's been confirmed that the new bridge will be named after Rosie Hackett. I'm somewhat disappointed if I'm honest.
    should really have been named after Willie Birmingham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The pessimist in me wonders if this was done just to have the bridge named after a woman.

I imagine that a lot of people will simply refer to it as 'the bus bridge' or 'the Luas bridge' though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm disappointed..

But I was most disappointed when Ernest Walton was left out of the last 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Trade Unionists voting for a Trade Unionist, what a surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Disappointed too. Felt the writing was on the wall from months back, and lo and behold..

Luas bridge or Marlboro bridge it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

does naming a bridge after someone aid in navigation or hinder it or make no difference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

does naming a bridge after someone aid in navigation or hinder it or make no difference

I'd say some names do hinder navigation alright.

I know a lot of people who just say "Beckett Bridge" and if they don't call the new one "The Luas Bridge", they'll more than likely call it "Hackett Bridge". That's going to cause some confusion..

I wish people would remember that commemoration isn't what we're building roads and bridges for. If we're going to commemorate someone, don't make it confusing and don't use the full name unless it's easy to say. Bermingham Bridge, Yeats Bridge, Walton Bridge maybe Kay Mills Bridge.

Go away DCC with your Matt Talbot Memorial Bridge and your Father Matthew Bridge :mad:

Advertisement