Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'm not sure about others but I always refer to the bridge between Capel St and Parliament St as Capel Street Bridge even though I know it's called something else officially. I wouldn't be surprised if some will refer to this new bridge as Marlborough St or Hawkins St bridge. The Luas bridge might be confusing as I think the distinctive one out near Dundrum is commonly referred to as that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I shall call it the Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge.

- Hey where are you now?

- I'm just crossing the Marlborough Street Public Transport Bridge.

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

Or the Marlborough Street Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

donvito99 wrote: »
    I shall call it the Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge.

- Hey where are you now?

- I'm just crossing the Marlborough Street Public Transport Bridge.

Perfect.
    SeanW wrote: »
    Or the Marlborough Street Bridge?

I imagine it will just end up being the Luas bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I imagine it will just end up being the Luas bridge.

With buses? And no Luas for another 4-5 years? I reckon it'll just be the new bridge for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Will always be the Father Ted bridge for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

markpb wrote: »
    With buses? And no Luas for another 4-5 years? I reckon it'll just be the new bridge for a while.

"Just passing the new Bridge."

"Jaysus... yer in Newbridge?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hawkins St.

South Side

North Side

• Advertisement

North Side 2

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Passed it today. It seems nearly ready to accept the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Victor wrote: »
    Passed it today. It seems nearly ready to accept the track.

are they putting the track down now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

grimbergen wrote: »
    are they putting the track down now?
    I don't know where I heard this from but I thought they weren't. Just covering up the trackbed part with asphalt until the time comes to lay tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I don't know where I heard this from but I thought they weren't. Just covering up the trackbed part with asphalt until the time comes to lay tracks.

I read somewhere that they were putting down track, on the bridge itself as well as across the roads to minimise disruption later. I'll be damned if I can find the link though. It was an interview with someone in DCC, and they mentioned the bridge was delayed in opening because of trouble with the quay wall foundations, if that jogs anyone's memory.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rails are in place now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

When is the bridge due for completion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Oisin Quinn, tweeted yesterday that he would be officially opening the bridge on 20th May 2014.

https://twitter.com/CllrOisinQuinn/status/438689213912199168

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Small amount of rail in place on Marlborough Street the opposite side of the quay - I suspect that the tie-in is going to have the track across there in place but it looks like it won't for the South quays.

6 February 2014 and 25 February 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why doesn't the boardwalk run into the new bridge parapets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I imagine it's because the bridge is a far more permanent structure than the broadwalk. I'm not saying the broadwalk isn't permanent but, let's face it, with future developments of the city it's not something DCC might want to have there forever so why build a bridge whose design is dependant on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

AngryLips wrote: »
    I imagine it's because the bridge is a far more permanent structure than the broadwalk. I'm not saying the broadwalk isn't permanent but, let's face it, with future developments of the city it's not something DCC might want to have there forever so why build a bridge whose design is dependant on it?

Could easily be fit in the way it was on Grattan Bridge. All you'd have to do is build a wall if the boardwalk was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

err... doesn't it taper back into the quays before it reaches Grattan Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

AngryLips wrote: »
    err... doesn't it taper back into the quays before it reaches Grattan Bridge?

Nope :)

Flood control.

The rail over the quay seems to be in place now, at least there's an almighty hump covered over with metal sheets at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

MYOB wrote: »
    The rail over the quay seems to be in place now, at least there's an almighty hump covered over with metal sheets at the moment.

They are in place crossing the road and up towards the abbey 3 or 4meters.

Advertisement